Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that happened while playing football as a kid

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah see in our school we had to pass to a girl before we were allowed to score.

Either let her take tip off and build from there or else Stick her on the line, which I suppose is the equivalent of Rachel 'going long' in that Friends episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

The dull pinging sound of someone getting hit in the face, with one of those cheap plastic footballs, was always a laugh; stings like hell when you got hit with them mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The dull pinging sound of someone getting hit in the face, with one of those cheap plastic footballs, was always a laugh; stings like hell when you got hit with them mind.

I used to be afraid of them. I remember a conversation about them from when I was 6/7 where I was accused of being afraid of the ball and I was like "i am not!!!", but really I was. :o

In our school, every once in a blue moon someone would get the idea that we would play at "guns" instead of soccer, it was complete bullcrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

RTÉ used to buy this show off Channel 4, showed it on Monday nights. Essential viewing!

Many a debate was had over what the commentator was screaming at the end!

Gooooo Lazio?
    no, no, that's wrong, Gooooooal achio
    no, no, that's not it either

No wikipedia or google back then, it wasn't a simple thing to find out.

In fact the only way to find out was write a letter to James Richardson.
    I'm sure he gave an explanation one day

Now excuse me while I bury a volley. SIGNORI!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yeah, what a great game... you score three goals and then... you get to go in goal. :rolleyes: I think we called it "three goals in".

We changed it so that if you scored three goals you would choose who went in instead.

We played "3 & your pick" as we called it, where you scored 3 and you got to pick who was in goal. Heads and volleys and world cup were played a good bit too as well as "foul football" where there were no fouls... and squash or "wallball" as people are calling it, where you had to hit the face of a wall or lose a point. we used to have to rotate gardens for matches too as parents got annoyed at theirs being ruined by slide tackles in the middle of winter :D

Oh, and those cup champion balls that curled the opposite way to what they should have. Derby was where it was at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement