Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

unfortunate launch date..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't wait to see the price of the unit. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the region of $1500. If they're selling the headset, two motion tracker units and two controllers it's going to be an expensive kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ScumLord wrote: »
    I can't wait to see the price of the unit. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the region of $1500. If they're selling the headset, two motion tracker units and two controllers it's going to be an expensive kit.
    Price has been leaked early $799 -
    http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-is-799/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Price has been leaked early $799 -
    http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-is-799/

Funny how oculus outraged everyone with their price reveal but this will seem fairly reasonable now :D

I'd say they've trumped oculus by a margin

More details, looks like Ireland will be among the first launch countries

Bit dubious about that recommend spec: hover junkers developers are listing a GtX 970 as the MINIMUM to play it with a 980ti as the recommended spec

Looks like it does'nt require a bazillionty USB 3.0 ports like the octopus rift does either :D

http://gizmodo.com/htc-vive-will-cost-799-and-hit-shelves-in-april-1760405698

Update: The Vive will launch in April in these countries: US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland, Sweden, Taiwan, China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand.

Update: Here are the recommended PC specs for using Vive:

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970, AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or better
    CPU: Intel® i5-4590 / AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better
    RAM: 4 GB or more
    Video Output: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
    USB Port: 1x USB 2.0 or better port
    Operating System: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or later, Windows 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

1 x USB 2.0? The fudge? How the hell are all of the peripherals getting their data to the PC?

EDIT: Tracking stations are apparently wireless, and there is a hub of some sort. Still, the hub can't be operating on a single USB 2.0 port, surely?

Zillah wrote: »
    1 x USB 2.0? The fudge? How the hell are all of the peripherals getting their data to the PC?

EDIT: Tracking stations are apparently wireless, and there is a hub of some sort. Still, the hub can't be operating on a single USB 2.0 port, surely?

Through the magic of Gabe.:pac:

I'll guess we'll have to wait and see if this spec is confirmed

(speaking of confirmed: 1 USB 2.0 = 3)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't see why a USB 2.0 port couldn't work. There is probably a lot of positional data bring transferred but in terms of Mbps it's probably very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The tracking stations don't actually track, they just scan a laser into your play space. There are receivers on the headset that detect the laser scanning over them and that is how the headset knows where it is.

EDIT: tempted to cancel my Oculus Rift order now. $599 for the Oculus Rift somehow comes in at ~€740 when shipped to Ireland. I wonder how the dollar price of the Vive will convert, could they have cheaper distribution perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm more impressed with the vive than the rift at the moment. I am leaning towards the HTC package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not touching any of them until I see a years worth of reviews and wear one myself now, the shine is coming off the whole thing for me.

Thargor wrote: »
    Not touching any of them until I see a years worth of reviews and wear one myself now, the shine is coming off the whole thing for me.

The idea of waiting a year is absolutely insane to me.

I'm perfectly happy with the Oculus, I just wish Touch was ready for Day 1. That's the big advantage Vive has right now.

I think they're both going to be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm more impressed with the vive than the rift at the moment. I am leaning towards the HTC package.

I wonder what Sony will pull out of the bag in the next day or two, I'm curious as to how there going to pull off the quality of the vive or oculus with a ps4 powering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I wonder what Sony will pull out of the bag in the next day or two, I'm curious as to how there going to pull off the quality of the vive or oculus with a ps4 powering it.

Isn't that what the "processing" unit it comes with is for.

They will need to release a new ps4 with more usb ports

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sony will probably do a new revision of the PS4 that will include the processing unit and a headset. I'm still not sure about jumping on board, the price is a big ask and there's nothing proven yet. It's promising though, but I'd agree that waiting a year is sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'll be getting the Oculus, their track record so far is enough for me, I got fantastic use out of the DK1 and DK2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Won't be getting either, at least not for a while. I'd love to experience it, but not at that price. Maybe later in the year if i have some disposable income, but i'll probably have to upgrade my machine at some stage as well.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Isn't that what the "processing" unit it comes with is for.

They will need to release a new ps4 with more usb ports
    The box only unwarps the display and splits it so that it allows other people to watch on a TV. Remember that the Samsung Note 4 and S6 can do limited VR too. Sony have access to good game devs though so I'm sure they'll make the best of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

EDIT: tempted to cancel my Oculus Rift order now. $599 for the Oculus Rift somehow comes in at ~€740 when shipped to Ireland. I wonder how the dollar price of the Vive will convert, could they have cheaper distribution perhaps?

The convention in the US is not to include sales tax (VAT here).

$799+23%(Irish VAT)=982.77 ~ €888 + €50 shipping = €938

You may need to pay import duties on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

If history has taught us anything it is that software drives hardware, not the other way round. You can not make people buy hardware unless there is a viable and deep library of software to support it. Who in their right mind is going to pay $600 or $800 to play Job Simulator?

The Kinect/PSMove/PSEye/Wii/3D gaming and even PhysX for PC have shown that without big names, big brands, and well-received franchises, failure was written in stone. I had hoped the big game to be released with VR support would be the new DOOM, as it really lends itself to that type of experience, but nothing has happened there. The mainstream gamer is where money is to be made, but if you have no mainstream games, then how can you expect people to fork out so much?

Maybe this will change at E3 2016 if major developers announce VR support for their main franchises. What I find very interesting is the Oculus scenario. Valve can build VIVEs and sell them at a loss because it has Steam to keep revenue coming in, and if things got really desperate they have IPs they can pull out of the cupboard to bolster their finances. Sony's Morpheus-thing is of a similar nature. Should VR fail for them, they still have the Playstation and a number of in-house developers to compensate. But, Oculus doesn't really have anything. Sure there is Facebook, but how long can you rely on ad revenue as your only source of income should Oculus fail to tap into the mainstream?

I reckon VR is here to stay, but it won't be a game changer for the general public and gamers. VR will relocate itself to themeparks and large events where you can pay €2-3 for a brief 20 minute experience and then walk away. In fact, I can see VR leading to a resurgence in the gaming arcade; somewhere to go to try out VR for a shortwhile without having to invest in a €1000+ PC and €700 device, when ultimately the novelty on one title will wear off after a few hours anyway.

Having said all that, if Battlefield 5 was to be announced as a VR-required title, or the next COD, or Dying Light 2, etc., and if it actually works (personally, I don't think a VR headset can compete with the movement of a mouse for competitive play), it might have a longer lasting appeal and in itself drive other developers to jump on the hype train. Also, I compare VR to 3D in movies - there are movies filmed in 3D and it is generally accepted that they are much better 3D experiences than the post-3D tagged-on-effect. VR is the same for me. Games built from the ground up with VR being the foundation are the types of games that need to be developed by AAA developers and announced now if VR is to 'wake people up'. The mainstream don't have the time (or probably the knowledge, at least on PC anyway) to mess around with mods and configs to enable a 3rd party or poorly ported VR effect - it has to work straight out of the box.

Next, this leads me to the diversification and lines that will further separate the platforms. I am threading into the hypothetical here, but I think this is something that has to be considered. Lets take Titanfall 2, for example. Titanfall 2 is coming out possibly Xmas 2016, but most likely, 2017 and it is a game that would really do well in a VR environment; the parkour running, the fast paced combat, the internals of a Titan would lead to a great experience in a VR headset. The game is also coming to all 3 platforms - PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Which VR headset will be used as the marker for development? The VIVE for PC? Or the Oculus for PC? Morpheus for PS4? Or all three? And what if the 'port' is affected by the differences in headsets? One would hope that all three headsets would be consulted and developed during this process, but if the last two generations of games is anything to go by, cross-platform titles invariably have issues ranging from mild (COD) to the extreme (Dark Souls).

Scenario 2: a game developed on PC that is later ported to consoles. One example would be The Talos Principle - another brilliant game that would be stunning in VR. Talos came to Steam first, so if Valve decide to enforce that all future Steam releases must at least support the VIVE if they have a VR element, that might create problems for Oculus users. Talos was then later brought to PS4. Will the transition from VIVE support to Oculus or Morpheus be smooth and seamless or will there be hiccups?

Additionally on console, each multi-platform release goes through a rigourous compare and contrast analysis. It is broken down into resolution/features/frame-rate/image quality and a definitive conclusion is given to suggest which console the game performs better on. This is more complex on PC with various features being exclusive based on which graphics card developer you go with (HBAO+/PhysX for Nvidia, Mantle API for AMD, for example), what happens when you have developers doing such exclusive deals with the manufacturers, as is common practice today? Valve throws money at Activision-Blizzard to make the next COD 'a greater experience' with VIVE? Or Facebook gets behind some new big title being developed by UbiSoft and they do a deal where 'best played on Oculus' is the main message? Where does that leave those who chose Morpheus on PS4 or VIVE on PC, but the Ubi game comes out on all three platforms?

Scenario 3 - A game on console with PS4 Morpheus comes to PC/Xbox. Very few games have translated from console to PC very well. GTAV and Alan Wake come to mind, but then you have disasters like (most) Ubi games, or Dark Souls, or Gears of War (Win Vista edition). The VR element could be another spanner in the mix. You can see where this is going...

Divide and conquer seems to be the main message here. Already, gamers are primed to engage in brand-defence with a console, but that can now be sub-divided again. Oculus on PC, VIVE on PC, (Morpheus on PC, possibly?), etc. In the meantime, the big developers are sitting on their hands waiting for someone to give the okay or some sort of indication that its safe to invest millions into a game on a VR headset. I really thought DOOM would be the first, but it seems that in a time of uncertainty in the industry, fear of failure is the prevailing sentiment. This can be further demonstrated by the stark difference with a new generation of console launch. Every big developer announced major titles for the launch of the new consoles even though the bulk of their sales would come from the previous generation. The same can be said of VR. Most of the developers today could 'tag-on' some VR effect to their new titles, even though most of their sales would be from customers who don't own a headset, and yet nobody has done so? Why is that?

I see no reason to jump on-board with any VR product right now. No games beyond simulators or one hour experiences, extremely high price point, and no indication of big developers getting behind any of the VR devices. On top of that, there is the more pressing concern - impact on the consumers and the possible further division of the gaming community. We simply do not know how the big developers (if they ever do get involved in VR) will treat multiple devices or if they will pick one and leave the rest of their consumers looking for user-mods to make their device compatible with the game they want to play.

Themeparks and arcades, lads - that's where we will be going for the best VR experiences in a couple of years. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

I've waited for this kind of gaming experience for so long. Can't wait.

@falrhron, think you just missed something, the PC can be everything a virtual, Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo.
    A prime example is NewRetroArcade https://share.oculus.com/app/newretroarcade
    All your favourites are in there and there's always a Super Nintendo in the corner if you feel like playing a console in the arcade : )

I think the shift will be away from hardware such as PlayStation/Xbox as anything that can be virtualised will be, rule 34.

Develop for PC everything else can be emulated.

I've waited for this kind of gaming experience for so long. Can't wait.
    Same, I'm just sad that most of my regular gaming buddies won't be getting it just yet. I know I should wait too and I'm prepared for the types of games that will be available (ie nothing like the sort of games I play on a standard monitor) but I can't help myself :D

What I do know is that I've played hours and hours of elite dangerous on the crappy resolution of the DK2 and loved it ( I still get gobsmacked when flying near a star). I've tried the Vive which was really impressive and it got me off my seat for a change. The ninja trainer game in particular had me working up a sweat in no time (think immersive fruit ninja)

Oh, mashable posted the vive UK price, converts to around €900 so a bit better than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Is there an event or conference upcoming for Sony regarding their VR?

Doom would be an awful game for VR. There seems to be two camps around this stuff, people who don't think it will catch on and people who've actually tried VR :D

The big concern for people buying a vive/oculus is the speed at which things are developing may make their expensive headset obsolete fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Bambi wrote: »
    Doom would be an awful game for VR. There seems to be two camps around this stuff, people who don't think it will catch on and people who've actually tried VR :D

The big concern for people buying a vive/oculus is the speed at which things are developing may make their expensive headset obsolete fairly fast.

I have tried the Oculus DK1. And why would DOOM be an awful game in VR? DOOM has always been about atmosphere, tension, scares, action, etc. VR seeks to immerse you in a game, and anything that has a good atmosphere makes it even more immersive... :confused: In fact, Carmack was working on a VR version of Doom 3 before he left iD...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/5/5682818/zenimax-oculus-vr-claim-response

Is there an event or conference upcoming for Sony regarding their VR?

There's rumours they might announce something at mwc today or tommorrow, I've re- read it and it might not be PlayStation it could be something in the lines of gear VR, could be just a rumour though.

Falthyron wrote: »
    I have tried the Oculus DK1. And why would DOOM be an awful game in VR? DOOM has always been about atmosphere, tension, scares, action, etc. VR seeks to immerse you in a game, and anything that has a good atmosphere makes it even more immersive... :confused: In fact, Carmack was working on a VR version of Doom 3 before he left iD...

First person shooters do not work in VR*. Too much discomfort and travel sickness to play it for extended periods. Titan fall might work if you are in a mech because you have the cockpit as reference.

EDIT: I'm referring to the standard fast paced shooters that we are used to on a screen. There are VR shooter games like hover Junkers where you move using a ship but you aim and shoot while standing on the spot

DOOM is the classic run n gun FPS model and it won't work as is in VR, you need to change the experience.

This is a paradigm shift, a lot of the models we grew up on will not make the jump

• Advertisement

it won't be a game changer for the general public and gamers.

Maybe not the first generation, but it will. The long term trend is going to be affordability and accessibility. There's no way this is going to be a flash in the pan, and I seriously doubt we're going to see a resurgence of the arcade. We'll get a handful of integrated VR experiences, but they'll be their own thing. Gamers were climbing over each other to preorder the Oculus - a piece of technology that has never seen a commercial release. It's not even all that fringe now, and it's not going to stay fringe for all that long, either.

There's also no shortage of games. Oculus is getting Valkyrie on launch, which was built from the ground up to be a VR game. It's going to be years before something like Battlefield or any AAA title is VR-compatible, but I don't think we need a mega-franchise to back it - there's tons of content already and we're not even going to get our hands on the devices for months. Games are also not beholden to any specific piece of tech - any decent release is going to be available on both Vive and Rift - they know they're going to sink or swim together.

Whenever I hear VR sceptics I can't help but imagine some old lord harumphing as a model-T putters by saying it'll never catch on.

Advertisement