Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If I win the lotto tonight, I'll buy everyone who has posted in here as of this post an Rift.

Someone has the get the Vive as a joke, though, all in good fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Currently VR is in the 3D glasses stage of TVs, yea there's a lot of hype and companies pushing it as the second coming but how many are actively using 3D glasses today? They'll need to make some serious headways to not end up as 3D glasses and simply being a very niche product for the few (I remember people used to brag about having the projector, guess that shows how old I am).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Nody wrote: »
    Currently VR is in the 3D glasses stage of TVs, yea there's a lot of hype and companies pushing it as the second coming but how many are actively using 3D glasses today? They'll need to make some serious headways to not end up as 3D glasses and simply being a very niche product for the few (I remember people used to brag about having the projector, guess that shows how old I am).

The difference is 3D glasses is a limited technology, VR has a lot of potential, it is far more immersive than 3d glasses, which cant put you in a cockpit immediately. When you get a chance try a headset out.

Yeah, comparing 3d glasses to VR is like comparing radio with color television. They're that profoundly different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

3d glasses for PC gaming are also in a different league to TV or cinema 3d

• Advertisement

3d glasses for PC gaming are also in a different league to TV or cinema 3d

Not really actually. I've owned a few Nvidia certified monitors and the Nvidia Vision glasses, although they're great, they're no better than a good natively shot 3D movie (Avatar, The Final Destination, etc) on a decent TV. It's the same effect, arguably the greater immersion is with PC games considering you're controlling what's happening but at the end of the day, the actual effect is the same.

VR is the next step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

So i wonder how updates are going to be handled.

Will Oculus updates require handshakes from each developer?

Was on 0.4.4 (Had AI, ETS2, Skyrim working) on my rift and recently put it up to 0.6.0 so i could get in on Elite. Now, it's back to square 1 trying to configure each game. Such a pain in the hole which is why i didn't update previously (If it ain't broke etc.).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not really actually. I've owned a few Nvidia certified monitors and the Nvidia Vision glasses, although they're great, they're no better than a good natively shot 3D movie (Avatar, The Final Destination, etc) on a decent TV. It's the same effect, arguably the greater immersion is with PC games considering you're controlling what's happening but at the end of the day, the actual effect is the same.

VR is the next step forward.
    I own them too, and have seen avatar etc in 3d, the TV is like a weak shadow version of my monitor. For TV maybe as my whole fov is my monitor, this is especially true for games, I adjust the 3d until it actually feels like I am in the game. Especially good in things like crowds with good sound, you feel like you are in the middle of the crowd. Many games are not done well with it however. Doesn't mean VR won't be better. Just I found the TV's crap compared to the active nvidia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Taylor365 wrote: »
    So i wonder how updates are going to be handled.

Will Oculus updates require handshakes from each developer?

Was on 0.4.4 (Had AI, ETS2, Skyrim working) on my rift and recently put it up to 0.6.0 so i could get in on Elite. Now, it's back to square 1 trying to configure each game. Such a pain in the hole which is why i didn't update previously (If it ain't broke etc.).
    From 1.0 this "should" be a thing of the past, as all interface updates are supposed to be backwards compatible. They've really messed with devs and DK owners by completely changing interfaces in the different SDK verions resulting in more and more messing to get things working.
    Im on windows 10 and switching between 0.5 and 0.8 for different games, works great.

Got a reply from rift ref customs charges. Seemed a bit of a standard reply so I'm going to do a bit more digging, bust basically looks like I would get hit for import duty of some description. Best I could get from TARIC was 14%. Looks like I might have to re-evaluate whether I'm going to be an early adopter :( €699 was bearly justifiable to me, €42 shipping, well it's got to get here but pushing €1000 buys a lot of beer and hookers.
    There won't be additional charges according to their customers support -
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/41eevt/status_of_oculus_support_ticket_responses_11716
    "We've worked to classify the Rift in such a way that all regulatory fees are included in the countries that we are shipping to. If you are charged anything when receiving your Rift, we'd like to know right away so that we can investigate. With Canada, as we are importing it into the country from the US, depending on where you are located, there may be a small fee that was not covered, and like I said, we'll want to know what that is quickly so that we can investigate."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

lmimmfn wrote: »
    There won't be additional charges according to their customers support -
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/41eevt/status_of_oculus_support_ticket_responses_11716
    "We've worked to classify the Rift in such a way that all regulatory fees are included in the countries that we are shipping to. If you are charged anything when receiving your Rift, we'd like to know right away so that we can investigate. With Canada, as we are importing it into the country from the US, depending on where you are located, there may be a small fee that was not covered, and like I said, we'll want to know what that is quickly so that we can investigate."

Well I did my best to talk myself out of it :pac:

In all seriousness though, thanks for the info :)

Well I did my best to talk myself out of it :pac:

In all seriousness though, thanks for the info :)
    Lol, its too late man, I'm really looking forward to it, have my Oculus recommended USB3 pcie card so I'm good to go, still have to install it as its probably my dullest "upgrade" ever
    No worries on the info, saw it reddit thought it would be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There is a mystery bonus prize, apparently.
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/palmer-luckey-interview-oculus-rift-price-vr-future?r=US&IR=T

"We've actually made some further improvements from what you're going to get in the box and these show units."

Whether that means some irrelevant, tiny, technology improvement like 0.03% tracking efficiency or something super cool that we'd be excited about, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Lol, its too late man, I'm really looking forward to it, have my Oculus recommended USB3 pcie card so I'm good to go, still have to install it as its probably my dullest "upgrade" ever
    No worries on the info, saw it reddit thought it would be useful

Any issues with using a hub do you know?

Any issues with using a hub do you know?
    Unknown tbh but i would never use a hub for something like this simply because of potential latency depending on devices connected. i already had about 10-12 USB ports but i installed a H100i which uses the 2 headers on my mobe meaning i lost 4 USB ports. So for me the PCIE USB3 card is a good addition, would have preferred a SATA 3 combi card but i can add that later if necessary( have 40USB lanes and 4 pcie slots with 1 being a mini pcie so i have plenty of slots ).

If you have a good mobo with lots of ports i would move some non low latency stuff onto a hub, youll see when you get the rift. If you dont have many USB3 ports i would just get the pcie card which cost 35euro delivered. Did you try the oculus compatibility utility? as some USB controllers on some motherboards arent compatible. The CPU test on that is junk of course, but useful for USB checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I just put in a winnable bid for a dk2. Prices are still a bit high, thought there would be a bit of a drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I just put in a winnable bid for a dk2. Prices are still a bit high, thought there would be a bit of a drop in price.

They will probably never really drop in price. They are a part of gaming history now.

How much, out of curiosity? I can't imagine paying anything significant for an outdated prototype. I think I'd rather take whatever I might have spent on the DK2 and just save up until I can get a CV1.

How much?, I might flog my DK2 and hydra contollers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Around 330 posted from Newcastle. Wai aye man. There's a chap on adverts looking for 650, no really.

• Advertisement

Around 330 posted from Newcastle. Wai aye man. There's a chap on adverts looking for 650, no really.
    330 is pretty sound, nice one, lol@650 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'll sell you my DK1 for €1000, it's..............eh..............historic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Doge

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'll sell you my DK1 for €1000, it's..............eh..............historic :pac:

You know if VR does become a hit, it probably will be worth a lot in years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

check to make sure that the USB 3.0 sockets you have are compatible

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zrtgs/psa_your_usb_30_ports_may_not_be_compatible_with/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Doge wrote: »
    You know if VR does become a hit, it probably will be worth a lot in years to come!

Yeah just look at the virtual boy. Just wait 26 years and you too could make €300~ :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    i think if it does take off, the kickstarter dev kits will be the most sought after, theres only ~7700 of those, and the kickstarters get a specific CV1 so those might be sought after too, lets see, but im packing my Kickstarter DK1 in the attic lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

List of the games Valve are going with at their content showcase today, They all look like Cheesy tech demos to me rather than games. If thats what you can look forward to playing for the hardware price of admission, then colour me dubious

Honorable exception elite: which looks to me like a world war one plane simulator mixed with eurotruck in space :D

http://vrworld.com/2016/01/29/valve-steam-vr-showcase-features-12-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never thought about golf games, those could be a big draw to the genre.

Thargor wrote: »
    Never thought about golf games, those could be a big draw to the genre.

I don't think I've ever been less interested in something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not even if it let you beat the sh1t out of Rory Mcilroys stupid face with a club in VR?

Advertisement