Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No fathers at kids first day of school this morning

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Pat Mustard's gotta do his milk round. He can't be going to school for the other 24 kids first days. And that's just one school in the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Gurgle wrote: »
    Ah, its Irvine Welch.

Is there any chance you could arrange for an alternative publication of Trainspotting where the English spelling is used for dialog instead of the Scottish phonetic?

I enjoyed the movie, but trying to read the book just gave me a headache.

I had to read those chapters out loud to even attempt to make sense of what was going on. Not fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mammy brought me into school on the first day, I'd say if it was the old lad I would have been drop kicked in the door of the classroom and told not to come home until I learned how to walk to school on my own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

When I went to school I felt that the spirits of my forefathers were always with me, not just on my first day :)

I got bullied a lot for spouting sh!t like that.
    Soon learnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Those bits in bold, may kids wont have any of that, maybe that's why today was so big in my eyes.
    Don't recall it being a big deal tbh. Practically every "first day at school" story I've ever heard involves being thrown in the door by Mammy and told to sit down and shut up.

I've never heard anyone talk about how their parents and Uncle John and Auntie Mary were there taking photos and cheering them on.

I understand that it's a milestone event, but I've never heard it talked about as a family event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

4 men fathered all 28 children :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

I would not miss either of my Kids first day of school and also their end of year school party. My Kids started school last week, youngest into 1st grade, brought her to her class, met her teacher, had a chat and got her settled in. Once done, over to the oldest 4th grade class, again meet the teacher, get him settled and wish them both a great day.

Look, kids will always love to have one or both parents present on important occasions also, when the teachers see you as a parent being active in your children’s upbringing, I believe this helps the Child. I have spoken and have friends who are school teachers and they told me when the see the parents taking a keen and honest interest in their children’s education, the teacher automatically takes to the children which can only benefit them.

I remember at the end of my Daughter’s school year last May, the Teacher had a video presentation with pictures of the whole school year. I would have not missed it for the world, my Daughter sitting on my lap, all proud of her self and proud to have her Dad with her, It was an amazing experience. It’s the little things in life like the above that matter, not money, jobs, building memories for you and your children is whats important. Sure when you’re on your death bed and look back, if you don’t part take in your children’s activities , you will surely regret it.

There were several kids in my Daughters class at that end of school party who had no parents turn up to see them receive awards for their years achievements and it was very sad to see. I understand that not all parents can make it because of work commitments and some simply don’t care. I’m lucky that I can. The bottom line is that we as people are slaves to Society and for one reason or another would rather work or have to go to work and miss out on the important occasions with their kids, that is just a sad way to live to be honest.

When such events take place, I notify my Boss well in advance and I tell him, I am taking of for 2 hours to go and be with my Children on their special events.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Of course, may I say some of the mummies were very yummy.
    The young lads teacher was a bit of all right to, nice & firm looking, you know the type.

try get through as many of them as you can before the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I would not miss either of my Kids first day of school and also their end of year school party. My Kids started school last week, youngest into 1st grade, brought her to her class, met her teacher, had a chat and got her settled in. Once done, over to the oldest 4th grade class, again meet the teacher, get him settled and wish them both a great day.

Look, kids will always love to have one or both parents present on important occasions also, when the teachers see you as a parent being active in your children’s upbringing, I believe this helps the Child. I have spoken and have friends who are school teachers and they told me when the see the parents taking a keen and honest interest in their children’s education, the teacher automatically takes to the children which can only benefit them.

I remember at the end of my Daughter’s school year last May, the Teacher had a video presentation with pictures of the whole school year. I would have not missed it for the world, my Daughter sitting on my lap, all proud of her self and proud to have her Dad with her, It was an amazing experience. It’s the little things in life like the above that matter, not money, jobs, building memories for you and your children is whats important. Sure when you’re on your death bed and look back, if you don’t part take in your children’s activities , you will surely regret it.

There were several kids in my Daughters class at that end of school party who had no parents turn up to see them receive awards for their years achievements and it was very sad to see. I understand that not all parents can make it because of work commitments and some simply don’t care. I’m lucky that I can. The bottom line is that we as people are slaves to Society and for one reason or another would rather work or have to go to work and miss out on the important occasions with their kids, that is just a sad way to live to be honest.

When such events take place, I notify my Boss well in advance and I tell him, I am taking of for 2 hours to go and be with my Children on their special events.
    What he said ^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'd say it's important for many children for the father to be there but most have been institutionalised in creches from early infancy, so they're used to not having one parent or both around. Unlike other 'family-friendly' countries, Ireland is still the only one in Europe with no paternity leave. Go us!

Never mind, we can blame our youth's binge drinking problem on crap parents not being around when they were growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

barney 20v wrote: »
    Ok..... well i get your point about the aunts,uncles etc...

But my youngest daughter started school today... i booked a few hours off work to be there,how hard is it to comprehend a father doing that?

Its important to me that i was with her as she started this next phase in her life, my soul purpose in life is to provide for,protect and encourage my kids to do well and to be happy in life.

I was proud to be there, for the first 18 mths of her life i was her main carer, to me it would be absurd NOT to be there for this.

Plenty of Irish people take time off work etc to follow soccer-gaa-rugby and get ****faced - but if you take a few hours off to support your child your a fool?soft? I feel sorry for those who think like that tbh.
    It says alot about modern Ireland if that type of attitude still exists.

For the record - i think 26 Kids in the class, i met 5 other dads,all equally as proud and happy to be there!

Man hater alert....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There were several kids in my Daughters class at that end of school party who had no parents turn up to see them receive awards for their years "achievements" and it was very sad to see.
    Achievements like turning up to school and being able to tie your own shoe lace?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe the 4 men were there to help the women park properly outside the school?

More important-were there any yummy mummies there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

there were only 4 fathers present out of a class of 28 kids.

Then why is the tread called "No fathers at kids first day of school this morning"? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe it's not a big thing anymore but my young lad started school this morning & there were only 4 fathers present out of a class of 28 kids.
    I know 2 of the lads were unemployed so it suited them but I thought it was a bit sad.
    Are people that fearful for their jobs that they forgo family occasions now ?.
    Anyway, sad :(

We saw loads of daddies bringing their little people to start junior infants this morning.
    My eldest is in the Naionra there but when she starts in the Big School I will expect her daddy to bring her too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

smash wrote: »
    Then why is the tread called "No fathers at kids first day of school this morning"? :D

Doesn't make sense at all.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My eldest is in the Naionra there but when she starts in the Big School I will expect her daddy to bring her too.

What's a Naionra?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

SocSocPol wrote: »
    If there were 4 present the why is your thread enitled NO FATHERS PRESENT?:confused:

Maybe he/she meant no forefathers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

lesbians the lot of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

The Ma dropped me off and said "see ya in a few hours". I got a name tag and sat down, it was grand.

Looking forward to day 2.

• Advertisement

The Ma dropped me off and said "see ya in a few hours". I got a name tag and sat down, it was grand.

Looking forward to day 2.

You could probably skip ahead a few years...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

smash wrote: »
    What's a Naionra?

Pre school

and I can't type fadas on this device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I sent the little bastard off with a kick in the arse. Its not my fault his ma's in jail. He came home with €100 he'd won in a game of pool down the early house. He didn't take to the teacher so he ****ed off. That lad will go places. I'm off to the pub to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

ScumLord wrote: »
    Achievements like turning up to school and being able to tie your own shoe lace?

Achievements as in their Maths and Reading skills. It's all graded through out the year, any kids that got a 90 or over for Maths and Reading got a special award, along with other awards through out the year. Trust me, they are young kids, but they learn quickly and are very bright and smart.

Pre school

You could have typed English though! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Pre school

No, fadas wouldn't have made any difference, still looks like you fell on your keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Someone should do a forefathers joke.

Someone should do a forefathers joke.

It wouldn't go amiss.

That's pretty good going, only 4 fathers of children in that school on the dole.

• Advertisement

OP, was it a Thursday?

Advertisement