Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access course for early school leavers nuig

Options
  • 28-08-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey guys 21 year old applied for the access course for early school leavers in Nuig. Wondering has any one done it before and whats it like. What the interview like. Left school at 16 went back last year and done a fetac level 5 in prenursing and also leaving cert but only three subjects do couldnt do the full 7 for the cao because only had 3 subjects offered at the time in the vec. Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

I had an interview for the Access Course with NUIG about 8 years ago and found it quite tough. There were 3 people interviewing me, and to be honest I found it tough mainly because I hadn't prepared properly!

I wasn't offered a place on the course, which at the time I thought was the end of the world!

So I started doing a night course in NUIG from January - June the following year which, depending on results, enables you to get into college the following September in either NUIG or GMIT..

So if for some reason you don't get offered the Access Course don't panic, there are other part-time/night courses in NUIG that can lead to a full-time course.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bob21ennis

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Night courses honestly didnt know that they did that and could lead to place following September. Just worried because dont have the full leaving cert and only a fetac course for gaining entry to uni. Just wanted to know kind of qustions they will ask so ill be prepared for it

bob21ennis wrote: »
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. Night courses honestly didnt know that they did that and could lead to place following September. Just worried because dont have the full leaving cert and only a fetac course for gaining entry to uni. Just wanted to know kind of qustions they will ask so ill be prepared for it

Sorry but I really can't remember exactly what they asked me.. I think they asked me about my Leaving Cert (I had very poor results) so I assume they'll ask you why you left school and why you want to re-join the education system.
    I think they also asked me why I wanted to do the subject that I picked in NUIG if I was successful in the access course. I had picked to do Law if I was successful in the access course, so they quized me on that which I wasn't prepared for.

My cousin did do the access course, and she found it tough. I'm not trying to put you off it but from what I gather they DO make you work quite hard!

I'm kinda glad that I did the night course instead. It was 3 subjects (€Maths, Economics & Accounting) for the 6 months with exams at the end. Mind you, I actually did brutal in the exams as well but somehow managed to get accepted into college, I don't know how!!

But the night course has to be paid for (250 euro I paid) whereas I think the access course is free? Not sure about that, but if your circumstances aren't great in terms of finance well then it's probably best you do the access course cos you might get better funded in terms of grants etc..

I did get a grant during my 4 years in college but not during the night course..

So as I said, if you don't get the access course don't worry, just contact the college about the part-time courses.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/student-life/mature-students/

Ah I see man. Be ritely prepared for them so. Thank you so much for replying to me really helps me alot too good. Read um on the course so want to get on the arts with public and social policy.
    Ill ring tomorrow abought the short courses link was very helpfull never new could do that all.
    Thanks again man

No worries at all, best of luck with it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

Hiya I was wondering if you had an interview with the access people yet .. Iv been given a time for this Thursday coming the 27th and I'm really nervous about what there going to ask me .. Any help would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just wondering does anyone know where access courses are taking place for NUIG, I know that one in Galway is taking place and Ballinasloe and Carraroe which is done through irish

Hey Tom actually have my interview thursday aswel for it. ****ting it now thinking abought it. What time you on

Hey Am my interview takes place thursday and my friend had hers already today

12:40 im @#?*ing bricks now:pac:

• Advertisement

Hhahahaha dont worry tom be grand. Mines at 20 past 9

cheers ul be fine to ...

Well man how you get on. Was in dere god 40 mins grilled the crap out of me honeslty dont think i got it

Ya I'm in the same boat .. Got grilled cause of my bad leaving .. I'm not to hopeful tbh

Where was your interview for??

im lucky if mine lasted 15 minutes

Man mine was awful. Jesus one start talking and while your answering that other woman would interrupt with another question. More interviews next week aswel. Really know I didnt get it was never happier to leave. Wont know for another three weeks either. 15 mins sounds good do

Mine was for access course in nuns island wbu

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Hi guys, I have a friend who has her interview last week, but she was told she isnt entitled to any grant etc, can anyone shed some light please!

Ya she told me the same thing. Not entitled to any grant for it. Found it a bit odd when she said that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I thought this course was for the 'disadvantaged' but how is someone supposed to live while doing the course, am I missing something?

I know makes no sence what so ever. Its highly competative said thousands applied so wont be holding my breath anyway. People using it who just misst out on college points. Not being used for what its for helping disadvantaged go to college

I know how you feel .. I'm not getting my hopes up either .. And the interrupting while answering is just rude ..

Where they interrupting you aswel Tom. So rude they were. I couldnt concentrate while talking and answering one the other one jumps in with a question half way through your answer. Got me all mixt up. Think im just going to apply for an evening course altoghter. Really not getting my hopes up for it. Fact dont even qualify for a grant seems very odd

it was rude but its probably a tactic to see how people handle the pressure ...

Just got my letter from Ballinasloe today, was told Ill have a 15 min interview and then have to do a ten min essay any advice on this

Hey man didnt have to do any essay and my interview went on for a good 40 mins. I applied for aa different access course to you do mine was for nui and not the ballinasloe but good luck with it man

bob21ennis wrote: »
    Hey man didnt have to do any essay and my interview went on for a good 40 mins. I applied for aa different access course to you do mine was for nui and not the ballinasloe but good luck with it man

Right, i thought nuns island was in clare :o, im doing a access course for nui in ballinasloe, my plan is winging it anyways:pac:

Hhahaha your grand man no worries at all. No here in Galway man haha. Thats all i did man went in fed um a bunch of bull**** tbh. Thank **** didnt have to do any test anyway would have been ****ed haha. Let me know how you get on do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 galway8

Just wondering has anyone heard anythin back about who got threw for 2012 interviews yet?

Advertisement