Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2: Crafting Thread

Options
  • 28-08-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Think the main thread is a little too packed to talk about crafting in it, was just curious to see who else is getting into the crafting portion of Guild Wars 2, and what ye think of it.
    I avoided it for the BWE, because I figured it wasn't worth my time if everything is being wiped, but damn is it fun. I'm currently crafting as a Chef and a Huntsman, and I never believed it would be so addictive, or so gratifying to do. Adding the fact you gain XP through crafting just sweetens the deal.
    What did other people pick as their crafts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I agree - it's great fun, and always feels productive. I like the discovery aspect too, and have made myself a few accessories from it already.

I went for:

1) Leather work (as I wear medium armour, and you get the materials as you go about your business)
    2) Jewelcrafting (everyone needs that stuff, plus most of the materials you pick up from ores etc on your way around)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I love the fact you can switch and not lose the progress you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Yeah, it's really nice you don't lose the progress, unlike in WoW where once you switch you start all over again. I also think it's a really good idea that the resource nodes (trees, vegetables etc) are specific to each person, works a lot better that way!

I ended up baking far too much yesterday, running out of inventory space, and having to mail stuff to a random boardsie 'caus I couldn't hold it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Those vials of weak blood are a pain. Seems every recipe in tailoring and artificing needs them yet they only drop from mobs rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Those vials of weak blood are a pain. Seems every recipe in tailoring and artificing needs them yet they only drop from mobs rarely.
    I thought that too, but then went on a bit of a rampage killing the big lizards (can't remember their names) in the water just outside of Divinity's Reach. Nearly everyone I killed dropped weak blood. My problems came when I was trying to get leather.

How much does it cost to change back to a skill you gave up before? Is it dependent on how advanced it is?

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    How much does it cost to change back to a skill you gave up before? Is it dependent on how advanced it is?

From the wiki:
    Although a character can only have two disciplines active at a time, they can pay a master craftsman to switch, at cost of 10 [copper] per level in the target discipline. Taking on a new discipline is always free, while switching back to a maxed discipline (at Level 400) costs 40 [silver].

I found the weak blood thing a bit weird to be honest. At what point in crafting a horn should blood be involved??

Oddly enough, I'm also finding it a lot harder to level up in huntsman as opposed to chef, despite being warned chef is the harder discipline. I'm currently at about level 80 for chef, but only 27 for huntsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

humanji wrote: »
    I thought that too, but then went on a bit of a rampage killing the big lizards (can't remember their names) in the water just outside of Divinity's Reach. Nearly everyone I killed dropped weak blood. My problems came when I was trying to get leather.

In my opinion, a person shouldn't have to spend time grinding just to increase their profession skill while leveling. Apart from this flaw, i really do like the crafting system in the game.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    In my opinion, a person shouldn't have to spend time grinding just to increase their profession skill while leveling. Apart from this flaw, i really do like the crafting system in the game.

To be honest, I haven't really found myself needing to grind to get through the skills, well so far at least, I imagine that will change when there's something really high level I want to craft.
    Personally I've found that whatever I pick up in my travels is enough for my crafting needs.
    On a side note, I've discovered why leveling as a huntsman was so slow for me in comparison to cooking. I realised that I was baking lots of things because I could eat them all, but was unwilling to craft 5 bows in a row as I'd end up selling them to vendors. Once the auction house is up I should be rolling in it :) (not a chance)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

delta36 wrote: »
    To be honest, I haven't really found myself needing to grind to get through the skills, well so far at least, I imagine that will change when there's something really high level I want to craft.
    Personally I've found that whatever I pick up in my travels is enough for my crafting needs.
    On a side note, I've discovered why leveling as a huntsman was so slow for me in comparison to cooking. I realised that I was baking lots of things because I could eat them all, but was unwilling to craft 5 bows in a row as I'd end up selling them to vendors. Once the auction house is up I should be rolling in it :) (not a chance)

I haven't started cooking yet really should but am really enjoying the crafting in the game more so that others. but i am in the same boat crafting what i need and selling the rest but not making many

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tiny Claws and Tiny Totems...start dropping ffs!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ive found its much easier to just concentrate on 1 crafting skill than try do 2 at the same time

Probably true. Trying to do 4 at the same time (Hunstman, Leatherworking, Cooking and Tailoring spread over 2 alts) is definitely not a good way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

I don't know if I should post this here or what, but has anyone tried the mystic forge yet? I have and I have been very disappointed so far. I had collected a good few weapons and armor and tried a few various combinations, but I didnt get anything good, in fact I always got something that was worse than any of the 4 items I used. :-( Anyone have more luck?

If you put in 4 items of the same type (4 blue shortbow's for example), you will almost always get a much better shortbow in return. I've gotten a few good items from random bits, but none that i've been able to use myself. I just hope they get the trading house up, so we can sell some of this stuff.

You can also use those mystic coins to increase what you get from the forge. On a side note, I think I've found what to do with all those weapons I make in crafting!

Well, I've now got about 50 bowls of roux ( a chef crafting ingredient) and no idea what to do with them, damn this addictiveness, really wish there was a separate bank tab for intermediate crafting materials.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You can also use those mystic coins to increase what you get from the forge. On a side note, I think I've found what to do with all those weapons I make in crafting!

Sell them? :o

Sell them? :o

Haha, toss them into the mystic forge :). Though I recently changed from Huntsman to Tailor (? I think it's called?), whatever profession lets you make runes. I wasn't really using the stuff I was crafting from huntsman, and figure that I can get weapons from other sources pretty easy (drops and storyline quests etc). I figure being able to make sets of high quality runes will be a better investment of time. Turns out you can only make a small set of runes through crafting, back to searching for a second I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Finally got 400 Jewelcrafting last night so 400 in that and cooking now.

I think that's me done with crafting for awhile, although I have to say I really enjoy the crafting system I think they got it spot on!

Couple of updates done to crafting last night, some of them good, some of them not so good (in my opinion):
    Crafting
    · Players can now do the production portion of crafting without having to pull the resources from their bank. Note: Discovery still requires use of the bank. This is something we would like to change but decided that getting part of the way there was better than making players wait for the entire fix.
    · Fixed a bug with the recipe for Ginger Pear Tarts that excluded Dough from the recipe.
    · Increased the karma costs of all Bulk Cooking Materials.
    · Increased the refinement costs of all Wood Planks from 2 logs to 3 logs.
    · Yellow Dye recipes now include Onions instead of Celery.
    · Adjusted the ingredient costs on Dye recipes.
    · The following Cooking Materials are no longer sold for Karma and are now acquired through drops, gathering nodes, or loot bags: Butter, Chocolate, Vanilla, Chili Peppers, Thyme, Black Peppercorns, Cinnamon, Bay Leaves, Walnuts, and Oranges.

Full update notes available here. Kinda glad I bought some chocolate, vanilla and peppercorns already.

• Advertisement

Couple of updates done to crafting last night, some of them good, some of them not so good (in my opinion):

Full update notes available here. Kinda glad I bought some chocolate, vanilla and peppercorns already.

I stocked up on all the required ingredients to get from 1 - 400 for about 3 characters as this was blatently coming. As it was you could do it in an hour for about 50 silver and 1000 karma! So glad I did now!

Big Knox wrote: »
    I stocked up on all the required ingredients to get from 1 - 400 for about 3 characters as this was blatently coming. As it was you could do it in an hour for about 50 silver and 1000 karma! So glad I did now!

That was smart anyway! Though, to be honest, I was playing for the last hour and was getting drops of butter and stuff fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I noticed I was now getting choc and butter in supply bag drops. tried a bit of the cooking, feels the best crafting skill in the game, you really do "discover" everything in that, trying different foods to get a match. Stuff like Armoursmith and weapons is just crafting the little insignia and applying one to each weapon. Maybe they get more involved later on.

Got an alt to 400 cooking last night, took 15 mins with all the ingredients ready and it got him to level 16. Thought it would be higher but can't really complain ha!

Anyone max any of the 3 armour crafts yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I seem to be getting loads of butter and chocolate drops,which is too bad seeing as I'm concentrating on armour and weapons in crafting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Got an alt to 400 cooking last night, took 15 mins with all the ingredients ready and it got him to level 16. Thought it would be higher but can't really complain ha!

Anyone max any of the 3 armour crafts yet?

Assume you bought everything and blasted through it?. How much did that cost?

I'm nearly at 150 on both jewelcrafting and leatherworking, but taking it a bit slower, trying to farm most of the stuff I need and only buying when I really can't find the items. I may well get bored with that soon, but its enjoyable so I'll see how it goes.....

ArthurG wrote: »
    Assume you bought everything and blasted through it?. How much did that cost?

I'm nearly at 150 on both jewelcrafting and leatherworking, but taking it a bit slower, trying to farm most of the stuff I need and only buying when I really can't find the items. I may well get bored with that soon, but its enjoyable so I'll see how it goes.....

Yeah I stocked up on the cooking supplies needed to get to 400 before the latest patch as I knew they were going to change it.

You can't do it like I did pre-patch anymore but for one toons mats it cost me about 40 silver and 1000 karma all bought from vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah I stocked up on the cooking supplies needed to get to 400 before the latest patch as I knew they were going to change it.

You can't do it like I did pre-patch anymore but for one toons mats it cost me about 40 silver and 1000 karma all bought from vendors.

Hmmm, pity I didn't realise this. Really stuttering through Huntsman and Jeweller myself.

How much do you reckon it costs these days?

I don't think i'll bother with crafting anymore. Plenty of guildies who can do it for me, and if i just keep collecting and selling the mats i don't need, i'll make a ton of money. There's not really any benefits to having them, bar legendary weapons.

• Advertisement

Crafting has been updated again (along with other things) so that you can now do discovery with items in your bank account. To the cooking table!

Advertisement