Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

loyatemu wrote: »
    got offered a free upgrade to SkyQ (from the HD box) if I added movies for €10 a month so that's being installed this week. No contract on the Movies so I can cancel those anytime (IMO €10 is about right for Movies, it's not worth the full price).

Is anything on Sky worth full price?

Sky would prefer everyone to have Sky Q.
    You don't own the equipment so if you leave Sky, you will have to return the boxes to them.
    This means unless you have an old Sky box and it's wired up correctly, you won't be able to watch anything.
    People leaving Sky with the old Sky boxes can at least watch FTA channels on it without doing anything special to the box/connection.
    Most people won't cancel Sky without having some alternative to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Is anything on Sky worth full price?

Sky would prefer everyone to have Sky Q.
    You don't own the equipment so if you leave Sky, you will have to return the boxes to them.
    This means unless you have an old Sky box and it's wired up correctly, you won't be able to watch anything.
    People leaving Sky with the old Sky boxes can at least watch FTA channels on it without doing anything special to the box/connection.
    Most people won't cancel Sky without having some alternative to watch.

Thanks for the information, I knew that there was some reason I didn't want to switch to Sky Q, I went on to FTA once before when I was cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Captain Don Thorpe

CoBo55 wrote: »
    €98 for that package was a good deal in fairness.

It most definitely is not a good deal. That's double what they're charging many customers in the UK. Appalling they get away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It most definitely is not a good deal. That's double what they're charging many customers in the UK. Appalling they get away with that.

What has the U.K. got to do with it? This is Sky Ireland we're talking about on an Irish based forum. Dial down the faux outrage, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Captain Don Thorpe

What has the U.K. got to do with it? This is Sky Ireland we're talking about on an Irish based forum. Dial down the faux outrage, thanks.

Being charged twice the price for the same service is not a good deal and it is an outrage. It's time people here stopped paying these extortionate prices.

• Advertisement

It's all to do with the population and competition.
    Way smaller population here with little competition means they can charge what the market will pay.
    Until people leave in numbers, and that won't happen until they have a decent alternative, Sky will continue to charge way more this side of the Irish Sea.
    Nothing else we can do nowadays unfortunately.

Thanks for the information, I knew that there was some reason I didn't want to switch to Sky Q, I went on to FTA once before when I was cut off

If you are going to go to SKY Q from HD box, make sure they fitter installs a Hybrid LNB so you can use the HD box if you ever get rid of Sky Q.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058138378

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If you are going to go to SKY Q from HD box, make sure they fitter installs a Hybrid LNB so you can use the HD box if you ever get rid of Sky Q.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058138378

apparently they're no longer installing the hybrids, but I'll find out this week as I'll be asking for one ( I have an old HD box in the other room which I occasionally use for FTA football).

Being charged twice the price for the same service is not a good deal and it is an outrage. It's time people here stopped paying these extortionate prices.

Well they won't, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just for info purposes for others on here, I cancelled Sky and was paying 32 a month for the basic package. Loyalty team rang me and offered 25 a month with extra channels (Discovery, Nat Geo, etc), refused that and they offered the same for 20 a month. Refused that too so I am now bill free, just have to get the Irish channels set up on a new box I have but am glad to be free of Sky.

So for anyone paying 32 a month for the basic channels you can get that down to 20 easily enough on a new 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭gussieg

if they fit a dish for you, changing the lnb yourself is not that big a deal. when my neighbour got theirs hooked up they' tipped' the guy 20 to put in the hybrid lnb.

apparently they're no longer installing the hybrids, but I'll find out this week as I'll be asking for one ( I have an old HD box in the other room which I occasionally use for FTA football).

Have a look on here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55
    Sky won't but ask the fitter if he has one and get him to fit it when installing or buy one on Ebay and install it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Did for me (my mum) a few weeks ago. Q box upgrade, fitted a hybrid LNB so her old FTA Sky+ HD Box in her bedroom would still work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

A lesser service. We have fewer channels and fewer again since Brexit. Have a look at the music channel listings :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

A lesser service. We have fewer channels and fewer again since Brexit. Have a look at the music channel listings :eek:

Yes this!!! We noticed over Christmas hardly any music channels... why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

snowgal wrote: »
    Yes this!!! We noticed over Christmas hardly any music channels... why is this?

Licensing issues I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

How do you get in touch with these guys if you are deaf?

When you explain and write to them online you're still always told you have to ring but it's pointless when you can't hear?

Madness really.

For a family member, I'm not deaf myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    How do you get in touch with these guys if you are deaf?

When you explain and write to them online you're still always told you have to ring but it's pointless when you can't hear?

Madness really.

For a family member, I'm not deaf myself.
    Have a read at this particularly the post at the bottom where texting is mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

muffler wrote: »
    Have a read at this particularly the post at the bottom where texting is mentioned

Cheers I found a page through that link, When I searched it was only UK contacts coming up.

When you go into the Accessibility contact section and select hearing impaired the first option is ahh sure give us a call :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seems like you have to register as an accessibility customer first in order to avail of the service

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Was paying €65 a month with Sky for boradband and TV. This expired a few months ago and now paying €95 a month.

Rang today and they best they could offer is €75 a month. Seems a bit crap but don't want to go to the bother of cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Terpsichorean Master

I have a Sky engineer coming this week to install Sky Q in my parents' house and I was wondering if anyone has any advice wrt Hybrid LNBs etc?

They have the same ancient, original SD box since the initial installation twenty-odd years ago, so will that still work - or does it make a difference?

I asked about getting a Sky+ box instead, but Sky said on the phone that they don't supply them any more - and so we would've had to have paid to get a refurbished one, which we were not interested in doing. I know they certainly don't want to be in a situation where they can't watch any FTA TV, should they cancel their contract with Sky - and I find the fact that that's even possible, to be a really snide move by Sky tbh.

Also, how much does extra does/should multi-room cost with Sky Q? And can you watch different channels/programmes to what's being watched on the main box?

They've since gotten another TV and it could now be an option, depending on price.

Cheers.

I have a Sky engineer coming this week to install Sky Q in my parents' house and I was wondering if anyone has any advice wrt Hybrid LNBs etc?

They have the same ancient, original SD box since the initial installation twenty-odd years ago, so will that still work - or does it make a difference?

I asked about getting a Sky+ box instead, but Sky said on the phone that they don't supply them any more - and so we would've had to have paid to get a refurbished one, which we were not interested in doing. I know they certainly don't want to be in a situation where they can't watch any FTA TV, should they cancel their contract with Sky - and I find the fact that that's even possible, to be a really snide move by Sky tbh.

Also, how much does extra does/should multi-room cost with Sky Q? And can you watch different channels/programmes to what's being watched on the main box?

They've since gotten another TV and it could now be an option, depending on price.

Cheers.

Multi room is a disgraceful €19 extra I just saw it on their site. I've had multi room since day one (2010) and I've never ever paid them full price for it, never bloody will either!! The extra box is very neat and small, it connects to the main Q box wirelessly and you can watch whatever you like on it, recordings are stored on the Q box.

Multi room is a disgraceful €19 extra I just saw it on their site. I've had multi room since day one (2010) and I've never ever paid them full price for it, never bloody will either!! The extra box is very neat and small, it connects to the main Q box wirelessly and you can watch whatever you like on it, recordings are stored on the Q box.

And it's only £12 in the UK - which converts to a nowhere-near-19, €13.50; even at the current higher than usual post-Brexit rate. We really are getting relentlessly screwed here compared to the UK, all the same.

That sounds pretty simple and convenient - is there any extra installation/rental/ just-for-the-hell-of-it fee, aside from the monthly rate, do you know?

And it's only £12 in the UK - which converts to a nowhere-near-19, €13.50; even at the current higher than usual post-Brexit rate. We really are getting relentlessly screwed here compared to the UK, all the same.

That sounds pretty simple and convenient - is there any extra installation/rental/ just-for-the-hell-of-it fee, aside from the monthly rate, do you know?

I'm not sure if there's any installation fee, for me it says there's no one off charge but I think it's because I have multiroom already.

See post above #5896.

I'm not sure if there's any installation fee, for me it says there's no one off charge but I think it's because I have multiroom already.

Just out of curiosity - how did you check?

Just out of curiosity - how did you check?

I logged into the site and pretended I wanted to upgrade to Q.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

A family member ordered Sky Q a few weeks ago and it was scheduled to be installed today. The installer arrived this morning and said he wouldn't be coming into the house because of COVID rules and just left. He was not nice about it at all.

Advertisement