Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embassy hasnt paid staff in months

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

coylemj wrote: »
    The US Embassy in London refuses to pay the London congestion charge which they regard as a tax from which they are exempt, they claim that they do pay parking tickets and speeding fines.....

A US statement said: "The US Embassy in London conscientiously abides by all UK laws, including paying fines for all traffic violations, such as parking and speeding violations.

"Our position on the direct tax established by Transport for London in 2003, more commonly known as the congestion charge, is based on the 1960 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, which prohibits the direct taxation of diplomatic missions."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3592594/US-owe-us-5m-parking-fines.html

I don't rely on 'The Sun' for info. But it seems that it's not just the poor staff here that have problems as the post above shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't rely on 'The Sun' for info.

Neither do I but it's reasonable to assume that they don't invent quotes from an embassy spokesman.

Advertisement