Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Bag

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Yup, well ya know what they say "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". Besides it seems to be working so far, haven't been back into emergency since 7 weeks :-D oh and a couple of books in the emergency bag as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

In trouble really? Those cotton wool balls are a nightmare, you need a little pot for the water too to clean the bum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Princessa wrote: »
    In trouble really? Those cotton wool balls are a nightmare, you need a little pot for the water too to clean the bum.

I know....I used to soak a load of them before I opened the nappy and then kind of squeeze and wipe and it worked ok. But they are a nuisance.

Yep midwife told them they were supposed to be using cotton wool.

Oh i've never used the cotton balls, the make up removal pads alright, i usually sneak in the teeny tiny tub of sudocrem for babs bottom.tar would be easier remove than muconium!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Down here the midwives are more Breastfeeding than cotton wool as far as i remember. I will have baby on the boob after birth and my bag of cotton wool balls in the changing bag. Nothing to be given out to for then :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Whatever you pack, don't forget the vaseline for baby's bum. Use it every nappy change. The meconium is a nightmare to remove with even cotton wool.

Last time I was in Holles street I saw people get in to trouble (i kid you not) for using wipes. Only thing they were 'allowed' use were water wipes. On the other hand, its your baby so if you bring wipes in tell them its your baby and your decision.

It was the same when I was in the Rotunda last year, midwife saw me using wipes and said "You really should use cotton wool". I said "this is my third baby, I'll use what I think is best thank you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

January wrote: »
    Whatever you pack, don't forget the vaseline for baby's bum. Use it every nappy change. The meconium is a nightmare to remove with even cotton wool.

Last time I was in Holles street I saw people get in to trouble (i kid you not) for using wipes. Only thing they were 'allowed' use were water wipes. On the other hand, its your baby so if you bring wipes in tell them its your baby and your decision.

It was the same when I was in the Rotunda last year, midwife saw me using wipes and said "You really should use cotton wool". I said "this is my third baby, I'll use what I think is best thank you!"

I used the water wipes in the Coombe & no one ever said a thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Alright Ladies I've reviewed this thread- there was sooo much great advice here! I especially like the idea of putting new baby outfit in freezer bag- I know my OH will not be in any state of mind to go searching for all the bits and ends needed when the time comes to dress baby for the first time!
    Heres what I have written down to buy/pack for my bags...anything I've left out or any other suggestions??

Labor Bag:
    Dark towel + Washcloth
    Night dress
    Comfy socks
    travel sized shower toiletries
    lip balm, hair brush, small bag of make up (for pictures but who knows i might not care in that moment!)
    magazine/book
    pillow
    mp3 player
    2 maternity pads/ 2 pair large dark undies
    camera
    flip flops
    Cellular Blanket
    Cotton wool
    2 or 3 nappies
    vest, babygro, hat, scratch mitts, socks in a freezer bag
    Little bag for OH with snacks and etc in it.

Post-natal Bag:
    Water bottle or travel mug
    phone charger
    2x pjs, dark
    travel sized tooth paste, deoderant shampoo ect.
    2x baby towels
    2x cellular blankets
    7x vests, baby grows, socks
    2x packages maternity pads, breast pds
    2x pillow case for baby sheet
    10x dark undies 2x maternity bra
    empty plastic Dunnes for dirty laundry/pressies for OH to take home
    little bowl for water for nappy changes
    Dark towel/washcloth
    travel changing mat for baby (small fold out type)
    Going home outfit for baby (in freezer bag)
    Comfy going home outfit for me (in seperate bag labeled for OH to bring in)
    Bottles for baby (?)
    Bibs for baby (?) (should I just bring a muslin cloth or two in instead?)

What do ye think? anything I left out or shouldnt bother with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Rachineire wrote: »
    Alright Ladies I've reviewed this thread- there was sooo much great advice here! I especially like the idea of putting new baby outfit in freezer bag- I know my OH will not be in any state of mind to go searching for all the bits and ends needed when the time comes to dress baby for the first time!
    Heres what I have written down to buy/pack for my bags...anything I've left out or any other suggestions??

Labor Bag:
    Dark towel + Washcloth
    Night dress
    Comfy socks
    travel sized shower toiletries
    lip balm, hair brush, small bag of make up (for pictures but who knows i might not care in that moment!)
    magazine/book
    pillow
    mp3 player
    2 maternity pads/ 2 pair large dark undies
    camera
    flip flops
    Cellular Blanket
    Cotton wool
    2 or 3 nappies
    vest, babygro, hat, scratch mitts, socks in a freezer bag
    Little bag for OH with snacks and etc in it.

Post-natal Bag:
    Water bottle or travel mug
    phone charger
    2x pjs, dark
    travel sized tooth paste, deoderant shampoo ect.
    2x baby towels
    2x cellular blankets
    7x vests, baby grows, socks
    2x packages maternity pads, breast pds
    2x pillow case for baby sheet
    10x dark undies 2x maternity bra
    empty plastic Dunnes for dirty laundry/pressies for OH to take home
    little bowl for water for nappy changes
    Dark towel/washcloth
    travel changing mat for baby (small fold out type)
    Going home outfit for baby (in freezer bag)
    Comfy going home outfit for me (in seperate bag labeled for OH to bring in)
    Bottles for baby (?)
    Bibs for baby (?) (should I just bring a muslin cloth or two in instead?)

What do ye think? anything I left out or shouldnt bother with?
    Hot water bottle in your labour bag?not sure if I posted above about this but I had a lot of the pains in my lower back and hot water was amazing until I was able to get epi

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you plan to bottle feed, you will get the little bottle of premade formula + once-use pre-sterilised teat in the hospital, no need for bottles or anything like that. They sell them in Tesco now too for Aptimal, they already do them for SMA as far as I know. The aptimal comes in a box of 6 - very handy to have a couple at home. You just unwrap the teat, unscrew the bottle lid and screw on the teat and you are good to go.

I had bibs but dont remember using them - used muslins mostly for burping.

Put surplus stuff in a laundry basket somewhere that you can tell your OH to bring in - undies/nighties/sanitary products that sort of thing.

• Advertisement

I've decided i'm adding various flavours of nutrigrain elevenses as 1 i'm craving them something fierce and 2 they will last longer than alot of snack foods in the hospital heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I used the bibs lots cos my little one puked a lot! I found the blankets in the hospital for the baby to be fine / I wouldn't bring cellular one. They had a cupboard where you could take them as you needed - and the same for sheets for the baby!

I brought loads of snacks... Ate them all....!!
    Can't remember if u had earplugs down but I found them great - when hubby would be there I used them and he minded baby, I couldn't sleep with the noise at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Multimam nipple compresses and lanolin cream. U generally won't need breast pads except to keep the lanolin from sticking to ur bra as you should be home before milk comes in.
    Definitely snacks. I found nature valley oaty bars brill

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

For anyone organising their bag, I picked up a plain blue tshirt nightie in Tesco for like €3!

Bumping this for the ladies who are asking about hospital bags in the due jan thread instead of starting a new thread. Hope that's ok mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

This has been very helpful.

Thank you ladies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Bumped for Synyster Shadow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Great tips ladies, thanks for bumping kitten k! I'm doing my lists at the moment and didn't even think of the hospital bag list. I love making lists so will do that one now :)

I did show my husband what maternity pads looked like the other day when we were in the chemist, the look of shock on his face was priceless! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I was getting pads in Tesco and my fella asks 'How come you can't use those things you usually use?' I told him you'd probably be a little too sore for tampons having just given birth!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I was getting pads in Tesco and my fella asks 'How come you can't use those things you usually use?' I told him you'd probably be a little too sore for tampons having just given birth!

And they'd probably be a tad loose :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement