Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Bag

Options
  • 26-08-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

So this hospital bag thing has my head wrecked....how many do I need? What do I need to have in it? When should I start packing it?

I'm due december and I havn't put much thought at all into this! I have been collecting a few small bits here and there but have nothing in terms of nappy creams or vests or nappies. What kind of bag would I even need...a suit case? Gym bag type?

My pathetic pregnant brain doesn't seem to want to wrap its head around this haha!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You need 2.

The 1st one for labour and the 2nd for the ward.

For the labour one A night dress,a towel,shower stuff ,and a new baby outfit.

For the other one about 5 changes of pjs,about 5/6 baby vests and outfits/baby gros. Towels and a dressing gown for you and toiletries.
    Breast pads,maternity pads and either granny knickers or paper ones:)changing bag for baby.

You really do not need much just the necessities.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lac21

I'll be very interested in replies to this. I should know more because I've packed for hospital before. I just cannot remember cleary what I packed last time.

All I do remember is having two bags, one for the labour ward and another for the post natal ward. The labour ward one had one outfit for baby. Vest, babygro, hat and nappy. I had a couple of nightshirts buttoned down the front, socks, lip balm, hairbrush, bobbin, music, magazines.
    Sure there must be more.......

For the postnatal bag, I know I had Vaseline and sudocrem. We were advised not to use wipes for first 4 weeks or so. I had to bring a lunch box for water and cotton wool, which was a pain. I've noticed waterwipes for sale lately, says they are suitable for newborns. Will be giving them a try this time. They are currently on sale price in Dunnes.
    Babygros, vests,
    Maternity pads, disposable knickers,
    Dark coloured towels,
    Shower gel etc
    Flip flops
    Phone charger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I used baby wipes on my second and third... seriously cotton wool and water was just too messy for me. Always the Huggies Pure (cream packet) though. The midwife did say to use cotton wool and water but I just told her I preferred wipes and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Second all above plus
    Hat for baba for first while tho I thought hosp was plenty warm
    Maternity bras
    Towel for baby's first bath
    Lansinoh cream and multimam nipple compresses if breasfeeding.. U only really need breast pads if using these as milk won't come in straight away.
    Some snacks. Last meal in holles st was at 4.30 or 5pm!
    Water bottles u can refill. I found they forgot to bring u any water
    Lots and lots of maternity pads
    Going home clothes - something comfy - unless u trust oh to bring it in!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used the huggies pure baby wipes from day 2 on my 2nd :) and pampers sensitive from day 4 on my 1st:)
    Messing around with cotton wool and water is just not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

I'd start packing a good few wks beforehand to make sure u have everything. Then repack and show oh what u have and remind u closer to time. I used small sports bag for labour and suitcase for ward. They'll check that in for u.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lac21

Just thought of blankets for baby. Do they still specify 2 cellular blankets?? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Reading this has made me realise how lucky I was giving birth in Spain. All I needed were toiletries for me, slippers and a going home outfit for baby. Everything else was provided. I was constantly offered drinks etc when in labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Two bags, a small gym bag for the labour and a small suitcase for post natal.

Labour Ward:
    • Baby outfit - Vest, baby grow, scratch mittens and hat (Optional) and a nappy or two.
    • Socks
    • Hairbrush, clips etc
    • Face cloth
    • Towel
    • Toiletries (If you dont have epidural you can have a shower after birth)
    • Nightdress
    • Ipod or some distraction if you are being induced it can be a looooong day
    • Pads
    • Nursing bra

Post Natal:
    • 7 x vests, babygrows,
    • Baby towel
    • Towel and toiletries for yourself
    • pads and breast pads
    • Slippers, socks flip flops for shower
    • 7x pjs
    • Lots of big comfy undies or disposables
    • Nursing bras
    • Phone charger
    • Camera
    • Baby nappies, vasaline, wipes or cotton wool
    • Outfit for bringing baby home
    • Baby sheets and blankets
    • Bibs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Agree with above aswell, I would add,

Def baby wipes,
    fit flops - wear them in the showers, wont need slippers,
    I found the maternity pad's awful when in the ward so I used the strongest ones for heavy period's and found them much better,
    Old nitie for labour ward - just dump it after birth,
    I also found arnica great help for healing, start taking them after baby is born and great for healing internally, also got a tonic made up which helped,
    Liquid iron - use a straw when taking it or it will stain your teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Princessa wrote: »
    Two bags, a small gym bag for the labour and a small suitcase for post natal.

Labour Ward:
    • Baby outfit - Vest, baby grow, scratch mittens and hat (Optional) and a nappy or two.
    • Socks
    • Hairbrush, clips etc
    • Face cloth
    • Towel
    • Toiletries (If you dont have epidural you can have a shower after birth)
    • Nightdress
    • Ipod or some distraction if you are being induced it can be a looooong day
    • Pads
    • Nursing bra

Post Natal:
    • 7 x vests, babygrows,
    • Baby towel
    • Towel and toiletries for yourself
    • pads and breast pads
    • Slippers, socks flip flops for shower
    • 7x pjs
    • Lots of big comfy undies or disposables
    • Nursing bras
    • Phone charger
    • Camera
    • Baby nappies, vasaline, wipes or cotton wool
    • Outfit for bringing baby home
    • Baby sheets and blankets
    • Bibs

I was over cautious maybe but I brought a small disinfectant bottle and cleaned baby's cot and lockers etc asewll.
    Re sheets, I found bringing in pillow cases instead of sheet was great aswell.

Yeah i actually bought in detol wipes too :D. I also bought in alcohol gel as she was born in Nov and a load of my family had a cold at the time, so i asked them to use the gel before touching the baby... I got a few looks when i said that to people allright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

The coombe supplied me with a list of what is needed, i'll post it up for you later when i've got my toddler down for her nap.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I made a list and was posted it here and got loads of replies saying that I packed too much.:o In the end, I went minimalist and ended up staying 5 days for a Emergency C-section so needed more than I originally had listed!

Pack your essentials, but fill a laundry basket in the spare room with extras that your OH can bring in - underwear, extra nighties, change of clothes, baby supplies, toiletries that sort of thing.

My mum got me "granny knickers for hospital, but they were tight microfibre ones that rolled down exactly onto my incision. I asked the OH to go to dunnes to get the biggest grannypants he could see. He brought me in a few pairs of mens boxers instead thinking that wouldnt rub on my wound-didnt even occur to him that I had nowhere in them to put the maternity pad :p. (by the way I heard after I got out of hospital a trick for cushioning the C-section incision is one of those fat maternity pads.)

Bring in lots of empty plastic bags, you'll have gifts/dirty laundry that need brought home.

A great tip a boardsie gave me was to put baby's first outfit in a sandwich bag - great in my case as I was pretty zonked, my bag was in the ward, we were in theater and it meant my partner could just get the baggie and hand it to the nurse who dressed our little one. I had a nappy, small tub of vaseline (to stop the first poo sticking) vest, babygro, hat all in.

If you have to use cotton wool, I'd recommend the cotton pads for makeup instead. The cotton wool would separate and stick to the baby's behind and make it messy. Makeup pads were way better. (also a little bowl to use for the water.)

Get travel sizes of your fave toiletries.

Here is the previous discussion with my list on it. I did leave most of it at home on the spare bed- I had a small bag, and he had a small schoolbag-type rucksack on the day. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77446818

Neyite wrote: »
    I asked the OH to go to dunnes to get the biggest grannypants he could see. He brought me in a few pairs of mens boxers instead thinking that wouldnt rub on my wound-didnt even occur to him that I had nowhere in them to put the maternity pad :p.

I think thats really sweet. I dont know why but it is, he wanted you to be comfy so he got you mens boxers.. awwwh. :p

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think thats really sweet. I dont know why but it is, he wanted you to be comfy so he got you mens boxers.. awwwh. :p

Oh yeah, he was trying to be thoughtful - he always is tbh, and we laughed at it. They would have been very comfy - if I could have worn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I acutally thought the same thing!! It made me laugh, sounds like something my OH would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Great thread Rachineire!
    Ok , don't all shout at me at once but....you know the way ye're saying one bag for labour and one for after- so are you in two different wards?What actually happens when you go in-like first of all where do they put you?What can I expect?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Depends on what stage of labour you're in and what hospital too. If you're not in labour going in (for induction/c-section or whatever) it will be different too.

Last time I was taken to an exam room on arrival then straight to a labour suite (Kilkenny). In a different hospital this time where it might be a case of maternity ward first, then transfer to labour suite or shared labour ward.

Ask at your next appointment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Its just handy as your big main bag is left on the Ward and you8 will have your littLe labour bag in delivery suite with you. You are brought there when you are in labour and for whateVer amount of time you need after the birth and then you and baby are brought back to the maternity Ward :)

• Advertisement

Sorry it took so long to post this, i couldn't find the fecking list. Lol
    Bag for labour/delivery ward.
    Birth plan (if you have one)
    A loose t-shirt or old night shirt
    Pair of comfy bed socks
    Natural sponge or face cloth
    Camera
    Nightdress, underwear, bra and maternity pad to change into afterwards
    Towel, toiletries and tissues
    Hair tie
    Mineral water spray (to cool you down during labour/delivery)
    Lip balm (gas and air can dry out/crack lips)
    Light snack
    Details of any medication
    Baby's clothes and nappy for after birth, including hat change of top for dad as well (just in case he needs it)
    Maternity ward
    For you:
    4 nightdresses (wide opening if breastfeeding) or 4 pairs of pj's
    One support/nursing bra ( i found i needed at least two on my last one as i was in for 4 days and personally i'm not going to wear one bra on 4 different days) breast pads (once i got home i used sanitary towels cut in half as they stay put in your bra due to the adhesive, my x mil gave me that tip lol, so much handier than constantly fiddeling with moving breast pads lol) 2 packs of maternity pads 2 towels and 2 face cloths dressing gown, slippers and flip flops for shower granny panties (at least 6 pairs)
    Toiletries

For baby:
    6 long sleeved baby grows
    6 vests
    2 cardigans
    2 baby towels
    Disposable nappies (6-8 per day)
    3 cellular blankets
    3 crib/moses basket sheets
    Cotton wool ( better off going with the cotton make up wipes that another poster mentioned already) a hat/cap

Miscellaneous
    Phone plus charger
    Books/magazines for evil o'clock at night when you can't sleep
    Credit for phone if needed
    Snacks for evening/night as last meal is between 4.30 and 5.30 depending on hospital.
    Hospital tells us to get our OH to bring in going home clothes for both mum and babs on day of release.
    I can't think of anything else for the miscellaneous list atm, it's not on the hospital list, but stuff i needed etc so it's all going in my bag again this time round as well. So please feel free to add anything else not recommended by the hospital if ye want ladies.

Theres an invention now for anybody thats creative, big comfy underpants for post natal ladies with a little area to put maternity pads =)

Thanks for the list Thumby, its only been three years but i didnt think id need three of the cellular blankets so its nice to see a list that the hospital reccommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Im not sure about other hospitals but the ward i was in had no changing
    area for baby so i had to change baby on my towel in my bed.
    This time i have bought a small flat changing mat for baby in the euro shop
    all it cost was €1.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

This is really helpful, cheers.

Is there anything youd need extra if you were having a section?

Nope glowing as they will tell ya to send dirty pj's etc home with visitors/OH and have him bring in extra pj's and towels.
    You be welcome princessa, i'll give ya giggle, when i had madam two and a half years ago i forgot the blankets!! In my defence though, i was in and out of the hospital so much near my induction i was constantly unpacking/washing and repacking everytime was discharged lol. So this time i'll have a mini baby bag with one of everything as well as my proper bags. Just in case :-D

You are super organised Thumby, ah its not the end of the world if you forget things.
    When i had the little one i only had all white and i was sick of people saying oh HES lovely. So i made the OH and my mum go buy me pink babygrows and bring them into me. Ha ha.

Not really princessa, lol. So far i just have my emergency bag for myself packed, one pair of pj's, one towel, wash cloth and travel pack of mini toiletries. I'm hoping that seeing as i haven't packed one this early before but needed it 3 times by this stage on my last that i won't need it this time round (at all), if that makes sense? Lol

Being without the blankets wouldn't have been so bad last time if ppl could have gotten down to me but everyone was snowed in and i ended up stuck in the hospital for 4 days, even though we were both cleared for release after 24hours.

Ha ha you are trying to use the ole reverse psychology on fate there are you Thumby. My Mum said to pack an emergency bag so il pick up a few bits in Tescos tomorrow at the grocery shop and il have it to keep her mind at ease, be much easier for the OH anyway. Maybe i wont need it then either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Whatever you pack, don't forget the vaseline for baby's bum. Use it every nappy change. The meconium is a nightmare to remove with even cotton wool.

Last time I was in Holles street I saw people get in to trouble (i kid you not) for using wipes. Only thing they were 'allowed' use were water wipes. On the other hand, its your baby so if you bring wipes in tell them its your baby and your decision.

Advertisement