Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did you have for breakfast thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

started eating porridge, i always had a notion i hated it! silly thinking i know, i have the microwaveable portions half milk half water, with honey strawberriea and blueberries! good start to the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Hard boiled eggs this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Brewed coffee and Crossaints. Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Damson jam is amazing with porridge I know it sounds a bit weird but trust me. Had my favourite breakfast this morning, hot chocolate with a chocolate brownie.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Bacon, Hash Brown, Poached Eggs, Chorizo Chicken Mixed Bean Stew.

Siracha

crq7t.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Porridge with seeds and blueberries, brown toast and a freshly brewed coffee, great start to the day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I used to be really healthy at breakfast time but have recently reawakend my love for crunchy nut cornflakes and ice cold milk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I usually have porridge with flax, linseed, cranberries, blueberries, and raisins.

This morning, however, I had a bran and raisin multiseed muffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Shaw's black pudding with poached eggs, and of course the mandatory mug of tae.

3-6_zps058d1367.jpg

• Advertisement

Baked eggs in ham baskets, with mushrooms, creme fraiche and chives. Very tasty, will be making again.

bakedeggsJan2013_zpsb11c8c5e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Same thing I have almost every morning.
    Porridge!:D:D
    Flahavan's Organic Jumbo Oats.
    Didn't bother taking a pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've never been a fan of breakfast, could never stomach it first thing in the morning but some days I have toast and tea.

This morning, though, I had a bowl of Curiously Cinnamon (I love cinnamon flavoured things and I actually rarely buy cereal-these were on offer) and a cup of tea, a satsuma and an apple yogurt.

Tomorrow I think I'll do sausages, rashers and buttered bread for a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I normally have a bowl made up of 2 or 3 prunes ( from a tin in natural juice - keep me regular), glenisk low fat natural yoghurt, a shake of oats and a shake of toasted (have to be toasted) flaked almonds, the last few days I've added a few frozen raspberries - gorgeous, healthy and not too fattening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Same thing I have almost every morning.
    Porridge!:D:D
    Flahavan's Organic Jumbo Oats.
    Didn't bother taking a pic.

Have porridge every morning keeps me ping for ages, I add banana apple pine nuts bran and some times blueberries and strawberries mmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Baked eggs in ham baskets, with mushrooms, creme fraiche and chives. Very tasty, will be making again.

Was looking for something different for breakfast this morning when I came across this. It was delicious! Will definitely make it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

A couple of bags of Bacon Fries and a half a bag of Mini Eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Big bowl of porridge made with water and two scoops of unflavoured whey protein. Mmmm tasteless !!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Have porridge every morning keeps me ping for ages, I add banana apple pine nuts bran and some times blueberries and strawberries mmmmmm

I've become very frugal with my porridge.
    3:1 water to milk.
    I don't be trucking with fruit or seeds in mine - I don't even like sugar or honey in my porridge anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've been meaning to make Rachel Khoo's Croque Madame Muffins for ages; sorry photo doesn't do justice but they turned out really really yum. It's a keeper.

cc82fdde741066bad443d06eba14c229.jpg

*credit eatlittlebird.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

2 rashers grilled
    2 sausages grilled
    2 poached eggs
    Coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I love breakfast. I like having the time to sit down and read for a bit while I'm eating in the morning :)

I have the same thing most school days - Muesli from Aldi usually and a cup of tea.

At weekends I have a small bowl of porridge (only because my boyfriend makes a pot at the weekend and I couldn't be bothered otherwise!)

I always last for 4-4.5 hours without getting hungry so I never miss breakfast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Two slices of toasted brown bread * with real butter and a banana mashed on top with a mug or two of strong tea no sugar.

or

Porridge made with water, a dash of milk, a sprinkle of sugar and a knob of real butter melted on top.

*Lynches Multi-grain Barrel from Aldi is my preferred choice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ciabatta bread with olive oil, toasted on a griddle pan. Grilled tomatoes. Spread of pesto on the bread then mash on the cooked tomato. Sprinkle of salt on top. My weekend breakfast treat. Yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This morning I was treated to a slap-up Russian brekky of smoked salmon, ox tongue & scrambled eggs with nutty bread & strong black tea. Finished off with a baked cheese cake. All lovingly prepared by my great friends Alexander & Daria. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

A cup of tea that's what I have every day.... Yeah yeah I know the most important meal of the ... ..... I just can't eat in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

A small amount of organic yoghurt, cereal flakes, a chopped banana and some blueberries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Vanilla yoghurt + jumbo porridge oats, All-Bran, raisins, sunflower seeds and hazelnuts. Followed by a bucket of Barry's Tea, whole milk, no sugar. Mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

gjc wrote: »
    A cup of tea that's what I have every day.... Yeah yeah I know the most important meal of the ... ..... I just can't eat in the morning

I don't subscribe to the "You must eat breakfast" dictum, I think people differ greatly on this. Some people love their brekkie, others can't stomach food in the morning. Neither is wrong.

Latkes, from my new Smitten Kitchen cookbook. They were AMAZING. We ate them with Clonakilty pudding and a fried egg.

latkesfeb2013_zpsb7b81a3c.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

241420.png

Rocket leaves, crumbled black pudding, diced rashers and fried baby potatoes topped with two poached eggs and some fried tomato.

The yolk of the egg and bacon fat is the salad dressing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh my god, Dr. B., I WANT that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Been ages since I had a fry so I had:
    -2 Granby Sausages
    -2 rashers of Galtee Smoked Bacon
    -Some white pudding
    -Fried egg
    -Tomato, grilled
    -Beans

Orange juice, batch bread and tea.
    It was lovely, but I've got raging heartburn now :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 ScriptKittie

Dr Bollocko that looks amazing!

This morning I had my first fry of the year. Oh, how I missed them!

Went to my butcher in Terenure yesterday and bought some sausages, rashers, white pudding. Had them with a poached egg and some brown bread from Superquinn. Washed down with strong tea.

Nyom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

BDys18PCIAAgEFm.jpg

Brioche French toast with crispy bacon and maple syrup from Bibi's cafe.
    Well it was more brunch than breakfast, and more importantly it was amazing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Latkes, from my new Smitten Kitchen cookbook. They were AMAZING. We ate them with Clonakilty pudding and a fried egg.

Where did you get it?! :eek: I've had it on pre-order with Amazon since forever!

On topic, I rarely make an effort with breakfast, usually having cereal. Today I shook things up a bit with a toasted bagel and peanut butter. :o Peanut butter is on hand as I want to make these. I <3 Smitten Kitchen!

Where did you get it?! :eek: I've had it on pre-order with Amazon since forever!

On topic, I rarely make an effort with breakfast, usually having cereal. Today I shook things up a bit with a toasted bagel and peanut butter. :o Peanut butter is on hand as I want to make these. I <3 Smitten Kitchen!

You can order it from the American version of Amazon - it's been on sale in the US for ages! I highly recommend it, it's a gorgeous book full of lovely recipes that aren't fussy or fiddley or complicated to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Being student scum I generally have the leisure of taking as long as I want to cook breakfast (at 1pm). Still though depending on my hangover status or general cant-be-arsedness it can range from a full grill/fry to a coffee and a few sweet waffles.

Been getting back into eggs recently. Scrambled with chopped up bits of ham & tomato thrown in at the end, a load of black pepper and sometimes some rocket is ace. Poached eggs are great too but I don't have a poacher, the whirlpool method doesn't work on an induction hob and the clingfilm one seems hit and miss. Not a fan of fried as I find egg white absolute rotten.

Don't have cereal that often since Jordans Country Crisp is the only nice one I've found and it's fairly expensive, especially since you only get like 3 decent bowls and the rest of the bag is dust.

Poached eggs are great too but I don't have a poacher, the whirlpool method doesn't work on an induction hob and the clingfilm one seems hit and miss. Not a fan of fried as I find egg white absolute rotten.

Do you hate all egg white or just fried? I can't stand egg whites, but I've been thinking of trying poached eggs recently. I love the yolk so if the white was more palatable when poached, that would be great.

Poached eggs are great too but I don't have a poacher, the whirlpool method doesn't work on an induction hob and the clingfilm one seems hit and miss.

Bring water to boil.
    Place eggs in water.
    Remove from heat and cover.
    Wait 6 Mins.
    Perfect poached eggs.
    Leave to 7/8 Mins if you like your egg well done.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

For the short of time mornings I recommend an avocado, sliced open, stone removed, and a dribble of balsamic vinegar drizzled into the gap left by the stone in each half. Eat with a spoon. 10 seconds preparation... 5 minutes eating.... job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon - one of my favourites

Faith wrote: »
    Do you hate all egg white or just fried? I can't stand egg whites, but I've been thinking of trying poached eggs recently. I love the yolk so if the white was more palatable when poached, that would be great.
    Mainly fried. It's like eating rubber farts, absolutely gross. It's not so bad when the yolk is soft since that tastes pretty great. Poached eggs I find the white isn't as bad as it's still a bit soft and the yolk runs all over it.
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    Bring water to boil.
    Place eggs in water.
    Remove from heat and cover.
    Wait 6 Mins.
    Perfect poached eggs.
    Leave to 7/8 Mins if you like your egg well done.

Hope this helps.
    Uh does this actually work for you? Every recipe I've ever read says 2-3 mins, not to mention simply cracking eggs into a pan of water results in a soggy half boiled mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Mainly fried. It's like eating rubber farts, absolutely gross. It's not so bad when the yolk is soft since that tastes pretty great. Poached eggs I find the white isn't as bad as it's still a bit soft and the yolk runs all over it.

Gross! (And also hilarious.)

Uh does this actually work for you? Every recipe I've ever read says 2-3 mins, not to mention simply cracking eggs into a pan of water results in a soggy half boiled mess.

Me too. I get egg soup. My mom swears by putting some vinegar in the water and swirling it. My aunt swears by putting a bit of salt in the water. Whatever I try, it's still egg soup. I have a pan that has a plastic insert with indentations which hold the egg just in the water and that's the only way I can poach eggs.

Well, I tried poached eggs today. The yolk was delicious, but the white still make me nauseas :(. It's one of the few things that I really can't stomach! It's a shame because I adore egg yolks, and I always look weird when I leave just egg whites on plates :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Poached eggs are great too but I don't have a poacher, the whirlpool method doesn't work on an induction hob and the clingfilm one seems hit and miss. Not a fan of fried as I find egg white absolute rotten.

I haven't tried it myself, but I heard a tip once that if you immerse the unbroken egg for a few seconds in the boiling water (maybe 15-20) and then crack it in, the egg will keep together better because the outer layer will have solidified a little. I think you wouldn't want the water to be too turbulent though, as it would tear the egg apart, so maybe an approach like Kat1170's would work well with this.

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    Me too. I get egg soup. My mom swears by putting some vinegar in the water and swirling it. My aunt swears by putting a bit of salt in the water. Whatever I try, it's still egg soup. I have a pan that has a plastic insert with indentations which hold the egg just in the water and that's the only way I can poach eggs.

The fresher the egg the better for poaching. One tip from Heston Blumenthal is to break the egg onto a slotted/perforated spoon and let the watery part of the white drain away before placing the egg in the water.

It takes 6 minutes instead of 2/3 because you remove the pot of water from the heat and let the egg cook in just the heat already in the water from bringing it to the boil initially.

Only swirl the water gently, not like a whirlpool :) the vinegar helps the white set but some people don't like the taste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    Well, I tried poached eggs today. The yolk was delicious, but the white still make me nauseas :(. It's one of the few things that I really can't stomach! It's a shame because I adore egg yolks, and I always look weird when I leave just egg whites on plates :o.

I've never been able to eat the white either, and just leave it on the plate or in the shell. My daughters can't eat egg white either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmm, for poach eggs I pour boiling water into a bowl, crack two eggs into it and put it into the microwave for two minutes, and let stand for 30 seconds (I think). I'm paranoid, so the egg yolk isn't liquidy or soft, but if you fiddle with the time I'd say it's be an easy way to make poached eggs.

I usually have them once per day or two on brown bread, butter, sea salt and hot chilli powder:P With ketchup for dipping. Nom, Nom.

The idea of the whirlpool is so the egg keeps together in the water, that's the 'proper' way to do them (without a poacher). I find it hard to believe anyone's made decent poached eggs by just lobbing them into the boiled water but I'll try it next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The idea of the whirlpool is so the egg keeps together in the water, that's the 'proper' way to do them (without a poacher). I find it hard to believe anyone's made decent poached eggs by just lobbing them into the boiled water but I'll try it next time...

boil water, add vineager. pinch salt. break egg into a teacup. when the water starts boilingtilt the teacup into boiling water. after a 40 secs let into water and repeat as many eggs as you need. WORKS EVERY TIME!

• Advertisement
Advertisement