Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myrna Nazzour - Miracle of Damascus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭the_eman

On the David Blaine topic. Myrna Nazzour accepts no money for appearances she has made in variuos parts of the world. She sells no trinkets, books, icons, souvenirs does not make money from this. What about David Blaine?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

the_eman wrote: »
    On the David Blaine topic. Myrna Nazzour accepts no money for appearances she has made in variuos parts of the world. She sells no trinkets, books, icons, souvenirs does not make money from this. What about David Blaine?
    So how are they funding her trips around the various parts of the world?

I'm pretty sure Sai Baba didn't charge either.

Also, most people are rational enough to realise that David Blaine and other magicians aren't really magic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Repeating yourself doesn't make it any truer.

Youtube videos are not evidence, show us evidence, otherwise you're just talking shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Repeating yourself doesn't make it any truer.

Youtube videos are not evidence, show us evidence, otherwise you're just talking shíte.

You want proof.
    Here you go.
    Their offices is just down the street from me:

tom-cheney-the-door-for-the-national-levitation-society-is-high-above-street-level-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

the eman, can I ask, what reaction did you expect from your post on the A&A forum? :confused:

"Oh, my God, look at her! And it's on a video! On Youtube! It must be true! Back to the Church for me!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

kylith wrote: »
    So, if you believe that David Blane is legit what about this video explaining how it's done?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-AQSR2gUKc

Aah, thanks! I've been wondering about this trick for years! I always figured it was something to do with having the camera behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

The camera angle is different on David Blaine than on the very amateur video of the guy trying to show how its done. it's a very weak counter argument. Overall I think David Blaines trickery is a distraction from the topic we are discussing.
    No it is very relevant. It is about applying critical thinking to extraordinary claims and how easy it is to create illusions in videos.

Here is a better explanation of how it is done in the case of David Blaine as he does a higher "levitation":

Has anyone visited David Blaines house who had been in a wheelchair all their lives and left walking.
    If he said yes and if he had people to back up that claim in a video would you automatically believe it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Nocebo Max Strength™

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

You want us to watch approx 5 hours of lies in youtube videos?

Errrr, na.

FYP

5 hours of christian videos? There is a hell! :eek:

Is this 'evidence' more conclusive than the banana's ergonomic design?

365oyr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I would like you to take a look at this video...

I trust this is enough to convince you that people can levitate?
    kylith wrote: »
    Pottery is porous, and porous materials are well known to be absorbent. This is what is happening with these statues; the porous material is soaking up the milk, give the impression that it is being drunk.

Wow! It's almost as if YouTube videos and unverified first person accounts weren't real evidence, and that there are rational explanations for alleged miracles.

(In fairness, I was putting it to the OP that if they believed the substandard evidence presented for the stigmata, then they would also have to believe the same level of substandard evidence for the drinking statues, if they had any pretence for consistency.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Extra virgin olive oil, one assumes.

So your arguments were:

Too long don't want to watch.
    The stigmata's were in the wrong place -- Incorrect
    Francis Of Assisi has a stigmata in the wrist not hand -- Incorrect
    David Blain can be disproved by a ridiculous imitation trick
    A finger trick anyone can do
    Funny picture of National levitation office - I like that
    Another guy doing levitation or is it a trick, unclear
    A victory banana

Here is some evidence from a Psychiatric Department at the University of Lubin with references to Myrna Nazzour.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&ved=0CEUQFjAHOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wydawnictwo.umlub.pl%2Fpsychiatry%2Fpl%2Fartykul%2FpobierzPdf%2Fid%2F3347&ei=Op46UK-eGsaYhQfpm4GgBA&usg=AFQjCNHOFeuflHm3MV83hnVtaE92G1wtcg

On excerpt

"A Syrian lazarist (father Joseph Malouli), who was the only one present to have any knowledge of the phenomenon, called 8 doctors immediately and they held a scrupulous inspection of Myrna’s wounds. They opened in an inexplicable way and they were healed in the same way, without any traces or scars about 11 pm."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] Psychiatric Department at the University of Lubin with references to Myrna Nazzour. [...]
    One shouldn't trust the word of an academic when he/she's investigating a parlor conjurer -- you need another parlor conjurer, and presumably a better one.

Her tricks, so far as I can see that there are any, are simplistic in the extreme. She'll never make a pro :)

So your arguments were:

A victory banana
    You need to read what we've written.
    We asked you to provide something more substantive than five hour long youtube videos.
    We need something more substantive than youtube videos because they can be used to "prove" something as silly as David Blaine actually being able to levitate.
    Here is some evidence from a Psychiatric Department at the University of Lubin with references to Myrna Nazzour.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&ved=0CEUQFjAHOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wydawnictwo.umlub.pl%2Fpsychiatry%2Fpl%2Fartykul%2FpobierzPdf%2Fid%2F3347&ei=Op46UK-eGsaYhQfpm4GgBA&usg=AFQjCNHOFeuflHm3MV83hnVtaE92G1wtcg

On excerpt

"A Syrian lazarist (father Joseph Malouli), who was the only one present to have any knowledge of the phenomenon, called 8 doctors immediately and they held a scrupulous inspection of Myrna’s wounds. They opened in an inexplicable way and they were healed in the same way, without any traces or scars about 11 pm."
    So how do you know that's actually true? How do you know they aren't lying or weren't tricked? How do you know they aren't being misquoted?
    What about the explaination for her wounds that you've been supplied with?
    What about the fact that her wounds are not consistent with crucifixion either in location or position, but are consistent with her scratching herself?

And what about the fact that none of it make sense in the first place.
    Why can god or jesus only do thier magic through the suffering of a person and in a manner that looks exactly like it was being faked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

...... and they were healed in the same way, without any traces or scars about 11 pm."

It's probably the drink, but that struck me as something that would not be out of place in a Monty Python sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

So your arguments were:

A victory banana

My that horse of yours seems awfully high, what with your snide dismissal of people's arguments despite not having read any of them.

As usually happens with religious coming in here thinking they have a bulletproof argument for Jesus, this one falls down in several respects.

Just a couple of points regarding your "miracle"

1. Myrna Nazzour & the phenomenon of stigmata

The first problem with Ms. Nazzour is something shared by all stigmatics, they aren't solely restricted to Catholics or even Christians. Here for example is an infant in Pakistan suffering from dermatographic urticaria in the shape of Quranic scripture.

6a00d8341c6d8553ef0120a66f8b3d970c-pi

Similarly there are accounts of stigmata in Buddhism such as those described here:

Essays into Vietnamese pasts

This makes the argument that this is some kind of divine intervention really weak. It is further weakened by other miraculous "signs" from other religions such as the one posted by phutyle here.

What makes Myrna Nazzour's claims any more authentic than a drinking Hindu statue?

However, if you consider these "signs" from a psychological viewpoint the explanation becomes a bit more plausible. Even the link you provided states:

"Their occurrence testifies to the existence of the source of their origin – the vital faith in the passion of Jesus Christ."

We know that psychosomatism in general can cause the body to do all sorts of strange things and in the cases of these mentally unsound people, a psychosomatic cause may be the most reasonable explanation.

However, in the case of Myrna Nazzour, deliberate fraud is far more likely. There are several problems with her claims not least of which are: a) the wounds are in the wrong places, b) the wounds are far more likely to caused by her crucifix than any other explanation and c) no test has yet been conducted whereby the possibility of cheating has been eliminated.

Finally, the wounds of Ms. Nazzour brings up another problem for the divine origin theory, variation.

PadrePioStigmata.jpg

Summer_2005_159.jpg

If these really are divine signs then why is there such variation in wound size, shape, location etc. The divine origin theory also runs into trouble when you consider that a) no documented cases of stigmata exist prior to the 12th century and b) there has been a shift in wound placement since the beginning of the 20th century with a large increase in the number of stigmatics exhibiting wounds in the wrists.

2. St. Francis of Assisi & wound placement

Regarding St. Francis, wounds in both hands and wrists were reported in the biography of St. Francis:

"His wrists and feet seemed to be pierced by nails, with the heads of the nails appearing on his wrists and on the upper sides of his feet, the points appearing on the other side. The marks were round on the palm of each hand but elongated on the other side, and small pieces of flesh jutting out from the rest took on the appearance of the nail-ends, bent and driven back."

The story of St. Francis actually raises some important questions about stigmata in general.

Firstly, the debate over wound placement seems to have been theological rather than a debate about what the evidence actually pointed to, with the winning explanation being more to do with theological comfort than sound reasoning. This is exemplified in another passage from the biography of St. Francis:

"Moreover, his right side had a large wound as if it had been pierced with a spear, and it often bled so that his tunic and trousers were soaked with his sacred blood."

For the first thousand years of Christianity there was a schism between those who believed that the spear wound was on the left side or the right side. Triclavianism, for example is a belief that Jesus was crucified with three holy nails and pierced on the left side. This view was eventually declared as heresy by Pope Innocent III who declared that there were four nails and the wounds were on the right hand side. What is interesting though is the spear wound itself. The only reference to the spear wound is John's gospel which was the last to be written and the furthest removed from the events of Jesus' death (not that any of the gospels were eyewitness accounts of course).

This is of course the overarching problem with stigmata, there are no eyewitness accounts of the crucifixion and significant amounts of contradictory evidence in the Bible surrounding the question of the crucifixion itself. What we have been able to establish however, is that, whatever has been shown by Fred Zugibe and others to be possible the archaeological evidence contradicts the traditional crucifixion position and with it the vast majority of stigmata.

The CrucifiedM an fromG iv'at ha-Mivtar: A Reappraisal

The evidence from the sole crucifixion victim that has been unearthed shows that the actual configuration of crucifixions at the time looked something like this:

cross.gif

Furthermore the configuration shown above is one shared by a Greek execution method of the time known as apotympanismos. This was a death mostly reserved for traitors but is one possible origin for the Roman crucifixion.

Finally, there are a couple of questions that you might answer:

Why was Jesus crucified at all? Why did the Sanhedrin not just stone Jesus to death for blasphemy? How is it that blasphemy was a punishment under Roman laws? Why would the Romans have any interest in executing a Jewish troublemaker when the Sanhedrin were such a thorn in their side anyway?

Surely, as a believer you should be just as skeptical of these claims as any of us. Weeding out false claims from authentic ones (if there were any) should be an important act for believers.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Why was Jesus crucified at all? Why did the Sanhedrin not just stone Jesus to death for blasphemy?

I was always led to believe that he was crucified so that the prophesy would be fulfilled i.e. not a bone of his body would be broken.

Quite why the Romans and the Sanhedrin would be concerned about fulfilling that particular prophesy was never really explained, though.

pauldla wrote: »
    I was always led to believe that he was crucified so that the prophesy would be fulfilled i.e. not a bone of his body would be broken.

Quite why the Romans and the Sanhedrin would be concerned about fulfilling that particular prophesy was never really explained, though.

Yeah, I've never really found the prophesy argument all that convincing. The one from Psalm 34 you mention is particularly weak since it refers to any righteous peron with no connection to Jesus or a messiah. It simply states that God will not allow righteous people to endure more suffering than they can bear.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    However, in the case of Myrna Nazzour, deliberate fraud is far more likely. There are several problems with her claims not least of which are: a) the wounds are in the wrong places, b) the wounds are far more likely to caused by her crucifix than any other explanation and c) no test has yet been conducted whereby the possibility of cheating has been eliminated.

I want to counter one point right now that is incorrect, many tests have been conducted to eliminate the possibility of cheating not alone that this has been witnessed my many thousands of people. Tests have been conducted on Myrna's body as per evidence I presented. Tests have been conducted on the oil produced from Myrna and from the Icons. Icons have been tested in sealed glass containers where oil has exuded.

There are complete scientific journals written on this topic, here is an excerpt
    http://www.soufanieh.com/MEDICAL/HUILE/19900416.fra.eng.chromatography.oil.htm

" Nevertheless, coming from a piece of paper, it is just as unexplainable that vegetal oil or cholesterol become the seat of emission "ex-nihilo", that is to say, without the contribution of natural substances. "

There are many documented testimonies. From witnesses and people who have received cures in Myrna's presence.

http://www.soufanieh.com/ENGLISH/mnoil.HTM

I will argue the rest of the points when I return from a break.

I apologize if I appeared snide, it is not my intention, I just wanted to Juxtapose some arguments.

I want to counter one point right now that is incorrect, many tests have been conducted to eliminate the possibility of cheating not alone that this has been witnessed my many thousands of people. Tests have been conducted on Myrna's body as per evidence I presented. Tests have been conducted on the oil produced from Myrna and from the Icons. Icons have been tested in sealed glass containers where oil has exuded.
    What tests? Who conducted them? When and how? What precautions where taken?
    There are complete scientific journals written on this topic, here is an excerpt

" Nevertheless, coming from a piece of paper, it is just as unexplainable that vegetal oil or cholesterol become the seat of emission "ex-nihilo", that is to say, without the contribution of natural substances. "
    So what does it matter is the stuff is "pure olive oil". How does that prove it's miraculous?

And why is it olive oil? What possible reason would god have to make a person leak magic olive oil?
    There are many documented testimonies. From witnesses and people who have received cures in Myrna's presence.
    And there's testimonies of people being healed by all manner of silly stuff.
    Testimonies are worthless as evidence.

• Advertisement

http://www.soufanieh.com/ENGLISH/mnoil.HTM

I will argue the rest of the points when I return from a break.

I apologize if I appeared snide, it is not my intention, I just wanted to Juxtapose some arguments.

OK, before I start, I would like to point out that in my previous post when I talked about the possibility of cheating being eliminated, I was referring to the wounds not the oil. Anyway with regard to the oil, there are some things I'd like to take issue with.

Firstly, the second link in your post claims that samples of the oil have been tested six times in six different laboratories all with the same results. However, you have only posted one link in support of this. Can you please post the other results and their conclusions and if possible, the dataset so that we can examine it ourselves.

Secondly, contrary to your assertion, there are no papers published about the oil. Your sole link about the composition of the oil comes from a book written by a French doctor named Philippe Loron. Loron is a neurologist who specialises in medical hypnosis (Erickson therapy). His published peer-reviewed work consists of studies on stroke in young adults. There are no publications listed for him since 1990. Since the Soufanieh incident which he seems to have investigated, he has mainly made a living from Christian mysticism and Christian writings. He is referenced in works on miracles as a doctor but always as "former head of" or "former doctor at".

Thirdly, you'll note that even Loron doesn't come to any explicit conclusions about the oil. The results are described as "analagous to" and "compatible with" suggesting there may be other factors which could cause the results to be interpreted in a different way. Pretty much the only solid statement from Loron on the matter is that the material is not an apport. The traces of animal cholesterol shows that the substance had at least some contact with human skin.

Fourthly, it's worth pointing out that the reason we do scientific tests is because of the unreliability of eyewitness testimony. This might explain more: conversion disorder.

Finally, what evidence is a cure supposed to be? Lourdes is the daddy of all "miracle cure" sites and even that has a lower cure rate than background noise, principally due to the Lourdes Medical Bureau.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 forestfairy

Hi E,
    I have watched all 31 parts on youtube of "the miracle of Damascus" I too am struggling with the question of whether or not this phenomena did/does occur. After closely paying attention to every single video, I came to the conclusion that she is most probably a fraud and a fake. Although there are a lot of footage of Nazzour, NOT ONE sequence shows a wound actually appearing from start to finish. NOT ONE. The wounds always appear after she has been under her blanket. If she truly wanted so desperately for the entire world to know about these spectacular supernatural events, and that she is not a fake, surely SHE would demand and would want the photographers to film the entire sequence of events starting with the beginning of the 'stigmata' (the initial pains BEFORE the wounds open up before the skin has broken) up to and leading to the skin breaking open.

Read this blog too...I found it very helpful. :)

http://garvarn.blogspot.com/2008/07/holy-crap-or-myrna-nazzour-miracle.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

99.9% olive oil. 0.1% human sweat.
    This oil cures all manner of aches and pains.
    Therefore, it must be 100% genuine snake-oil.
    Take a dab of it and leave a cash donation in the collection box at the door on your way out folks...

Hi E,
    I have watched all 31 parts on youtube of "the miracle of Damascus" I too am struggling with the question of whether or not this phenomena did/does occur. After closely paying attention to every single video, I came to the conclusion that she is most probably a fraud and a fake. Although there are a lot of footage of Nazzour, NOT ONE sequence shows a wound actually appearing from start to finish. NOT ONE. The wounds always appear after she has been under her blanket. If she truly wanted so desperately for the entire world to know about these spectacular supernatural events, and that she is not a fake, surely SHE would demand and would want the photographers to film the entire sequence of events starting with the beginning of the 'stigmata' (the initial pains BEFORE the wounds open up before the skin has broken) up to and leading to the skin breaking open.
    [/URL]

Thanks for taking the time to go through all the videos, I appreciate that and appreciate your feedback.

Here is a more concise video only 4.5 mins long and worth a watch. In it one particular doctor from LA gives his views on this phenomenon. He watched the woulds open and close. The closing and healing of the wounds in such a time is not possible for humans. I also mentioned in an earlier post how other scientists have also observed this. This doctor in LA as well as many other medical doctors have seen the same things in the presence of Myrna. This doctor has a successful practice in LA and a reputation to keep, surly he believes.

Please watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPqa2SA7h00

recedite wrote: »
    99.9% olive oil. 0.1% human sweat.
    This oil cures all manner of aches and pains.
    Therefore, it must be 100% genuine snake-oil.
    Take a dab of it and leave a cash donation in the collection box at the door on your way out folks...

Surly Myrna would not go through this for some cash donations. She is an educated woman and her husband has a career. If you offer Myrna cash she will not accept it.

The oil exuded from the Icon, even the one sealed in glass under observation was tested to be 100 % pure olive oil, there is no process on earth to produce 100 % pure olive oil. The results are out there the people who carried out the tests were named why not go seek out these people and the results, there are many.

Kind Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

there is no process on earth to produce 100 % pure olive oi
    Except of course the process by which olive oil is produced and bottled by the millions every year?
    Surly Myrna would not go through this for some cash donations. She is an educated woman and her husband has a career. If you offer Myrna cash she will not accept it.
    To quote one article I found online:
    The Nazzour’s home has become a venue for prayer groups and attracts pilgrims from all over the world.
    Assuming for a second that she doesn't make any material gain from these pilgrims (intentionally or through gifts, etc), then she is still subject to idolatory and celebrity from these pilgrims.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for taking the time to go through all the videos, I appreciate that and appreciate your feedback.

Here is a more concise video only 4.5 mins long and worth a watch. In it one particular doctor from LA gives his views on this phenomenon. He watched the woulds open and close. The closing and healing of the wounds in such a time is not possible for humans. I also mentioned in an earlier post how other scientists have also observed this. This doctor in LA as well as many other medical doctors have seen the same things in the presence of Myrna. This doctor has a successful practice in LA and a reputation to keep, surly he believes.

Please watch

He claims that he hid his wife to video her, so where's the video?

Unfortunately just because someone is a professional it doesn't mean that they are a reliable witness. Sometimes they can be the least reliable; because they are so confident in their own intellect they have difficulty in seeing where they may have been tricked, i.e. they cannot conceive of something they can't understand, so when they come across something they can't understand they declare it completely inexplicable. Here's a video of James Randi explaining how a bunch of scientists were fooled by one of the most basic magic tricks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbwWL5ezA4g

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Here is a more concise video only 4.5 mins long and worth a watch.

So, you had a more concise video all along, but decided to withhold it all this time so you could berate people for not thralling through 5 hours of footage of a questionable nature?

Good woman! I approve of that. I presume 'Surly' is a typo? :)

But I wonder, are there any other groups collecting when she is in action, even if it be a bashful curate nudging a plate forward as people leave...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Please watch

Anyone else notice the Sacred Heart behind the doctor in his office at 1.27 mins?

Advertisement