Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adults living with their parents...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

A girl living with her parents wouldn't put me off at all.

Id rather a girl was living with her parents than with weird, unclean housemates.

Exactly. It's not like you'd have anymore privacy for the "hows you father," if she's living with flatmates. If I really like a girl I don't care where she lives, but you'd be surprised how many people find this a deal breaker in a potential partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Exactly. It's not like you'd have anymore privacy for the "hows you father," if she's living with flatmates. If I really like a girl I don't care where she lives, but you'd be surprised how many people find this a deal breaker in a potential partner.

I probably wouldn't be surprised tbh. I also wouldn't be too bothered, anyone who would discard a relationship based solely on that fact probably wouldn't be compatible with me anyway.

The only way you get privacy in a relationship is when you live together, which you really won't/shouldn't be doing for a long time no matter who you meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

If I really like a girl I don't care where she lives, but you'd be surprised how many people find this a deal breaker in a potential partner.

+1. It wouldn't bother me if they lived at home due to unemployment/trying to get back on their feet/saving to rent a place, etc. (I'm living at home with the mammy and commuting to college) BUT if they have a good job and a steady income and still lived at home it would be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I'd sooner live out of my car before I'd move back in with mammy & daddy.
    They wouldn't be the easiest to get on with, have to know every detail of where you are, what you're doing, how just rang/ text the phone you own & pay for, stir frys or currys are "foreign" food so therefore shouldn't be trusted, having the odd glass of wine with dinner is a sure sign I'm a raging alcoholic, expensive clothes get discoloured & ruined because there's no point putting on a half load of their own clothes so they pick up a few of mine to get their money's worth out of the machine etc.
    For my sanity it's better that we live in seperate houses that are not near each other.

You're so lucky. Even when I was a teenager I'd have to be missing for at least a week before anyone would notice.
    That's not luck. It's pure nosiness on their part.
    They have to know everything, & if something is going on that they don't have the details on then they make wild assumptions.

They have to know everything, & if something is going on that they don't have the details on then they make wild assumptions.

At least they care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

, having the odd glass of wine with dinner is a sure sign I'm a raging alcoholic,

To be fair, they are right there ;)

It'll be the crack and heroin next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm planning on doing a bit of travelling next year so will be moving back home a month or so beforehand as I'll be leaving my house share. The idea does not bother me in the slightest. A lot of people will say 'oh there's no way I could move back in with my parents now, how could you possibly do that?', forgetting that everyone's parents are different. Mine are cool, I get on really well with them and they're easy to live with (as am I apparently).

Another point is that due to various factors I am in a house share with people I did not previously know, some of whom are gob****es. At least I know and can trust my parents. That said I wouldn't move back unless I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm planning on doing a bit of travelling next year so will be moving back home a month or so beforehand as I'll be leaving my house share. The idea does not bother me in the slightest. A lot of people will say 'oh there's no way I could move back in with my parents now, how could you possibly do that?', forgetting that everyone's parents are different. Mine are cool, I get on really well with them and they're easy to live with (as am I apparently).

Another point is that due to various factors I am in a house share with people I did not previously know, some of whom are gob****es. At least I know and can trust my parents. That said I wouldn't move back unless I had to.

But that's just for a month with a definite end in sight. It'd be different if it was open ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 latte2010

There is no talking, its very much a defiant 'my way or the high way' kinda tripe.

And so it should be `her way or the high way`. Although she`s your Ma your still pretty much a guest in her house at this stage in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Grayson wrote: »
    But that's just for a month with a definite end in sight. It'd be different if it was open ended.

Don't think so. I'd be happier not to have to move home permanently, but if it were to come down to that it wouldn't bother me that much. I'm sure I'd have bigger things to worry about if I'd lost my job and couldn't afford rent anymore.

• Advertisement

BUT if they have a good job and a steady income and still lived at home it would be a deal breaker.

But would it be anymore advantageous if the person is living with a bunch of flatmates? OK it proves that they're a bit more independent, but you'd still have no privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

latte2010 wrote: »
    And so it should be `her way or the high way`. Although she`s your Ma your still pretty much a guest in her house at this stage in your life.

He's paying rent so he's not a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love my parents, I'm in no rush to move out tbh

even when I do I think I'll be here a lot, my brother and sister have moved out but we still see one or both of them almost every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

If I go out with friends, I always get asked if there was drugs or drink involved. If I say "Yes, there was", I get accused of being a drunkard or a waster, if I say "No", I get accused of being a liar.

If I choose to not go out, I'm antisocial and should go make some friends.

But would it be anymore advantageous if the person is living with a bunch of flatmates? OK it proves that they're a bit more independent, but you'd still have no privacy.

It's not privacy, or lack of, that would bother me but more so why is he living at home when he can be independent and fend for himself.

Obviously if there was a family illness or other factors that would prevent him from moving out it would be different but what I mean is if family life is normal and he was chosing to be at home it would definitely have an impact on my view of him. Maybe not enough to dump him but I would wonder if he was lazy or expected the same of me if we were to live together.

BUT if they have a good job and a steady income and still lived at home it would be a deal breaker.

What if they would prefer to save the the cost of rent towards buying their own place a little bit down the line?

It's not privacy, or lack of, that would bother me but more so why is he living at home when he can be independent and fend for himself.

Obviously if there was a family illness or other factors that would prevent him from moving out it would be different but what I mean is if family life is normal and he was chosing to be at home it would definitely have an impact on my view of him. Maybe not enough to dump him but I would wonder if he was lazy or expected the same of me if we were to live together.

Yes but if you like the person and things get serious then you can both get your own place together. As I already said, if a person has nobody to rent with then moving out may not be an option. Either its too expensive or they don't want to live alone. Some people are waiting to find a partner before moving out, rather than waiting to afford their own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

I love my Mammy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Its not an easy situation being unemployed,on average there are 50 people to 1 job ratio,that doesnt look good in todays so called climbing out of a recession lets boost up house prices,people cannot afford rent,let alone buying even at the so called knock down prices there are now,landlords and estate agents know we are STILL in bad times yet want the prices to creep back up,well thats why there are so many living with the folks,i know a girl down the road from me 30 got pregnant still living with the parents baby already there roaring and crying,eldery parents putting up with it bc they have to otherwise she would be homeless..All i can say to those still frustrated living at home is just keep trying and if all else fails VOLUNTARY WORK OR EVEN THE JOB BLOCKER FAS/JOB BRIDGE

What if they would prefer to save the the cost of rent towards buying their own place a little bit down the line?

I said in my previous post that if they were saving then I personally would be ok with that as it's showing a desire to move out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

My lad (who is 8) will get a 50 euro note and a shift boot out the door in exactly 10 years time.

Best of luck son.;)

Stop leeching my BMW fund and find your own way in the world.

Yes but if you like the person and things get serious then you can both get your own place together. As I already said, if a person has nobody to rent with then moving out may not be an option. Either its too expensive or they don't want to live alone. Some people are waiting to find a partner before moving out, rather than waiting to afford their own place.

I see what you're saying but if I was with a 30 odd year old guy who had a good income and was merely living at home cos of mammy's Sunday roast then it would become a factor for me. Man up and move into a flat. I've lived with some awful wasters but I'd rather the experience of moving out than holding out at home till I find the one.

Each to their own I suppose.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I'm the opposite. I've just got my own place, and TBH I miss my mum, we have always gotten on well, she's very laid back, and thankfully was never the interfering type. I guess I just have been very lucky, listening to what some of you poor things have had to deal with while living at home. Also I think the stigma surrounding adult children living at home has definitely subsided since the economy went down the toilet. Would make no difference to me, and most people I know.

I see what you're saying but if I was with a 30 odd year old guy who had a good income and was merely living at home cos of mammy's Sunday roast then it would become a factor for me. Man up and move into a flat. I've lived with some awful wasters but I'd rather the experience of moving out than holding out at home till I find the one.

Each to their own I suppose.:)

That I'd agree with. If I had money I'd be moved out in a flash. Girls can also be guilty of this though, I've gone out with a few that lived at home, their mammies did all their washing, bought all their food & cooked for them, cleaned their rooms and made their beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Its not an easy situation being unemployed,on average there are 50 people to 1 job ratio,that doesnt look good in todays so called climbing out of a recession lets boost up house prices,people cannot afford rent,let alone buying even at the so called knock down prices there are now,landlords and estate agents know we are STILL in bad times yet want the prices to creep back up,well thats why there are so many living with the folks,i know a girl down the road from me 30 got pregnant still living with the parents baby already there roaring and crying,eldery parents putting up with it bc they have to otherwise she would be homeless..All i can say to those still frustrated living at home is just keep trying and if all else fails VOLUNTARY WORK OR EVEN THE JOB BLOCKER FAS/JOB BRIDGE

:confused: Where did you get that figure?
    Surly its not that bad.

A single mother would be put on top of the housing list .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

gsxr1 wrote: »
    My lad (who is 8) will get a 50 euro note and a shift boot out the door in exactly 10 years time.

Best of luck son.;)

Stop leeching my BMW fund and find your own way in the world.

By the sounds of it, he won't need a boot to get out as quickly as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

on top of a long list in our housing list lets not forget the welfare tourists that are adding to the queue

Girls can also be guilty of this though, I've gone out with a few that lived at home, their mammies did all their washing, bought all their food & cooked for them, cleaned their rooms and made their beds.

I'm living at home and I do everything for myself except the ironing. I swear I'd rather buy new clothes than iron them... :rolleyes::D

I'm living at home and I do everything for myself except the ironing. I swear I'd rather buy new clothes than iron them... :rolleyes::D

I'm crossing you off on my list...

• Advertisement

I'm crossing you off on my list...

But....but... I make a mean sammich!

Advertisement