Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad vs Walking Dead vs Game of Thrones vs Mad Men

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I wanted to pick Breaking Bad but couldn't let the injustice of Walking Dead getting more votes than Mad Men stand :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

snausages wrote: »
    Watching Season 5 atm I would definitely say it's better than 3 or 4, but the series as a whole really hasn't maintained that consistent standard throughout.
    It's lack of pandering to what people want and expect is part of what I love about it so much. It's not a crime show, it's not an action show, it's not just a drama, it's the story of these people and it's real, everyone in it feels real and real people and situations aren't action packed. There's so much in-between that TV typically leaves out but breaking bad embraces.

Most drug related shows never show the waiting around that's involved in drug deals, it's all action and parties which just isn't how it happens in the real world.

I don't have any expectations out of breaking bad, I don't know where it's going but I believe all the characters and want to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

ScumLord wrote: »

Most drug related shows never show the waiting around that's involved in drug deals, it's all action and parties which just isn't how it happens in the real world.

What drug shows are those?

Anyway, I appreciate a slow burn, but with season 4 the first six or seven episodes really lacked momentum. I don't tune into Breaking Bad every week to hear the latest on Walt Jr's breakfast eating or Maria's shoplifting. The 'Open House' episode is probably the worst of the entire series imo. I'm not asking to be pandered to, but I don't see how anyone could say that storyline or the car wash one were handled well.

Seasons 1 and 2 were slow as well, but not a single minute went to waste. Some of the best episodes in the entire series where simple ones with the lads in the RV just cooking up small batches, Walt dealing with his cancer and his family, Jesse and Jane, Hank coming to terms with killing a man. Even Maria and Walt Jr were good characters in those days. Those were the highlights of the entire series for me. Season 3 and 4 were still good, but for me nothing comes close to 'And the bag's in the river', 'Crazy handful of nothing' or 'Grilled'. That was when the series was at its peak. 'Crawl-space' and 'Dead-freight' were good as well, but not in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

I've watched walking dead and find it kinda repetitive - yer one the wife wrecks my head!
    only seen the first season of breaking bad - found it hard to get into but love it now - might actually watch some more now....

have mad men on the external hard drive but haven't started watching it yet -

me personally think game of thrones should have won - only 2 seasons so far but have read ahead all the books - christ the twists and turns in it is enough to keep me interested!! seems no one is safe and I hate that some shows can be a bit predictable - not them!! awesome!!:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I wanted to pick Breaking Bad but couldn't let the injustice of Walking Dead getting more votes than Mad Men stand :mad:

That's an extremely stupid thing to do. That goes against the whole idea of a poll. You're not supposed to change your vote depending on how the poll is going to skew the poll. That's the same as the people who say: "oh, I would give this movie a 7 but so many people were giving it a 10 which I didn't like so I gave it a 0 instead to push it back to what I wanted". Ridiculous. So what if the poll isn't going the way you wanted, it's not an "injustice" at all, so what if it offends your sensibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

That's an extremely stupid thing to do. That goes against the whole idea of a poll. You're not supposed to change your vote depending on how the poll is going to skew the poll. That's the same as the people who say: "oh, I would give this movie a 7 but so many people were giving it a 10 which I didn't like so I gave it a 0 instead to push it back to what I wanted". Ridiculous. So what if the poll isn't going the way you wanted, it's not an "injustice" at all, so what if it offends your sensibilities.

Its not as stupid as people voting for The Walking Dead in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Breaking Bad, never seen as much as a second of The Walking Dead.

irish son wrote: »
    Its not as stupid as people voting for The Walking Dead in the first place.

oh yeah? Why do you care what people like? And why don't you view it to see how many "stupid" people there are here?

I am asking this as a serious question, why don't you use it as a barometer to see how many people you think are stupid are here? Why do you feel the need to announce it and to get some feedback from your statements if you are so sure in yourself and consider it obvious to other non-stupid people?

If you can't give simple respect to the integrity of the poll then don't vote at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Breaking Bad. Walter White says "Stay out of his territory, to the other shows"

Also I feel like Dexter should be in the list as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I actually feel Breaking Bad isn't quite as good now that's it's in the 5th season.

I'm still going to follow it til the end and I still cant wait to watch it every week but let's just say it's at 90% now intsead of 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

This would be my current fav shows from top to bottom, there are probably a few I've forgotten.

Breaking Bad
    Game Of Thrones
    Boardwalk Empire
    Homeland
    Sherlock
    Community
    Mad Men
    The Walking Dead
    The Newsroom
    The Big Bang Theory
    Modern Family
    Suits
    Californication
    Sons Of Anarchy
    Dexter
    Fringe
    Falling Skies
    Spartacus
    Castle
    Bones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

kraggy wrote: »
    I actually feel Breaking Bad isn't quite as good now that's it's in the 5th season.

I'm still going to follow it til the end and I still cant wait to watch it every week but let's just say it's at 90% now intsead of 100%.

Why? do you the material has gone down, or is it just not exciting now that it's in its 5th season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

oh yeah? Why do you care what people like?

Why do you care how others choose to vote or indeed what their rationale is for doing so?

It's hardly the frickin poll to end all polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Really hard to say which show I love more.
    Easy to say which is the best, BB, no contest. For it's quirkiness, humor and truthfulness. It's art as much as entertainment.

TWD. it's just a zombie show and one that has too much soap plotting. Still, zombies!

MM. quiet, slow and needs close attention to get the most out of. I like this one a lot.

GOT. Pure escapist entertainment, Dallas with dragons.

I wouldn't cancel any of them but hope all of them reach a conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

oh yeah? Why do you care what people like? And why don't you view it to see how many "stupid" people there are here?

I am asking this as a serious question, why don't you use it as a barometer to see how many people you think are stupid are here? Why do you feel the need to announce it and to get some feedback from your statements if you are so sure in yourself and consider it obvious to other non-stupid people?

If you can't give simple respect to the integrity of the poll then don't vote at all.

First of all I actually didn't vote, and secondly I didn't call anyone stupid, I said voting for The Walking Dead over the other three is a stupid thing to do, there's a difference.

I don't really see the point of either of your posts in this thread to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I find TWD and GOT overrated myself

With MM and BB you either love them or hate them there is no in between if that makes sense :p I went for BB in the end even though Don Draper is very sexy

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Why do you care how others choose to vote or indeed what their rationale is for doing so?

derp, because the idea of doing a poll and viewing the results is to get people's honest answers to it.

We can go on all day like this, but in the end, I'll always be right and your only defence will be "it's only an online poll lol, I'll manipulate it how I want", and ruining the whole idea of a poll in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

derp, because the idea of doing a poll and viewing the results is to get people's honest answers to it.

We can go on all day like this, but in the end, I'll always be right and your only defence will be "it's only an online poll lol, I'll manipulate it how I want", and ruining the whole idea of a poll in the first place.

Some form of response bias will commonly factor in polling, be it on Boards or elsewhere.

But hey, get yourself worked up about it if you so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

I started watching Breaking Bad when TG4 began airing it a few months ago, just after finishing season 2. Top notch performances from Bryan Cranston, Emmys certainly well deserved, and great interplay between him and Aaron Paul.
    Acting aside, to be honest the show had me ho-humming up until around the penultimate episode of season 2. It was a vast improvement on season 1 but I have yet to see what it is that makes people rave about it being the best show ever. It's an enjoyable show certainly, but I wouldn't put it on so high a pedestal... Yet! From sideways glances at non-spoilery topics I think I've gleaned that season 3 is the pinnacle so I'm looking forward to it.

Last year I would've felt compelled to say GoT was the best but after reading the books (which, ironically I wouldn't have read having not watched the show in the first place) I feel the series falls slightly short. I enjoyed the tourney the first time round, then read the book's version with its painstaking detail of the grandeur of the event, afterwards it just looked like a few lads in a field. It's difficult for such a detailed world (characters, locations and lore) to be brought to the screen without some sacrifices, and they've done a pretty good job so far, but I don't think that *everything* needs to be explained through the medium of sex scenes! Season 2 was good, not as much as Season 1 but there's always that sense when one becomes accustomed to a new setting, although Storm of Swords was much better than A Clash of Kings, so looking forward to that too!

The Walking Dead is alright. Not great, but a decent enough show if you're willing to suspend disbelief. I didn't get the unreal amount of hype surrounding the first season, same as I don't get the unreal amount of hatred for the second. First, complaints of no character development, then complaints of no zombies once they attempted said development! Seems people aren't satisfied with the show either way. Third season looks promising, although the introduction of a
    katana-wielding zombie slaver
    had me laughing when I probably shouldn't have.

Mad Men I found to be a prime example of style over substance. Put all the effort into the wardrobe, hair, sets and hope that people won't notice the lack of a coherent or interesting plot. And it worked! Fair dues. Watched the first two seasons but turned off after that.

So for me at the moment it's a tie between BB and GoT, with season 3 of both to be the deciding factor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'd say Mad Men is the best of the lot, but Breaking Bad is great too. Game Of Thrones isn't even in the same league as Mad Men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'd say Mad Men is the best of the lot, but Breaking Bad is great too. Game Of Thrones isn't even in the same league as Mad Men.
    the poll would indicate differently :D

like what was said earlier in the thread these a 4 completely different shows, well TWD and GOT could be paired together, and its just a known fact that this forum is more skewed towards shows like BB,

don ramo wrote: »
    the poll would indicate differently :D

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,985 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Had to give it to 'Breaking Bad'. It really is the best thing on TV, even if the scheduling is bloody stupid. We have to wait a year until the we can see the next 8 episodes of Series 5? Really? The journey of Walter, from goofy teacher to a quite unlikable drug lord is an excellent one. Skyler is still a C U Next Tuesday though. Other characters are excellent too, like Gus, Hank and Mike. Probably the worst thing about 'Breaking Bad' is Jessie and that really isn't saying much.

'The Walking Dead' is also very good and is a favorite of mine, because I love the genre. However, the writing has been dodgy in some episodes and there's been too many departures from the excellent source material, which has MUCH better writing. Another thing about 'The Walking Dead', is that there have been far too many superfluous characters introduced. The black girl in Series 1, I can't even remember her name. Utterly pointless... and don't get me started on T-Dog...fu*kin' T-Dog...Jesus Christ :rolleyes: Just kill him. I genuinely believe they're only in the show because they're black. Hopefully, Morgan and his son will make a reappearance in Series 3, in October. At least they were interesting. Another awful character was Merle, Daryl's brother. He's such a ridiculous redneck caricature, he was awful to watch and within five minutes of his appearance, this walking cliche went into full redneck retard mode. REALLY bad writing. But, on the plus side are truly creepy zombies and some excellent make-up from Savini protege, Greg Nicatero and, of course, it's a "zombie apocalypse" show, which fans have been asking for, for years.

'Game of thrones' has also been a fantastic show and shares a close second with 'The Walking Dead' just behind 'Breaking Bad'. Having never read a single novel, I went into the show with no preconceptions and loved it. Most of the characters are excellent and the feuds between the families are intriguing. However, it's marred terribly by some stupid and completely unnecessary fu*k scenes, that are really just HBO's "tits out for the lads". Don't get me wrong, a nice pair is welcome, but when it's done just for the sake of it, it's hard not to roll your eyes. The best thing about 'Game of Thrones' is still Tyrion Lannister though. Peter Dinklage could keep me glued to the series alone. If HBO toned down the silly sex scenes, 'Game of Thrones' would be No 1.

'Man Men', I thought, was just rubbish. Couldn't get into it at all. Totally bewildered by all the good marks it receives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

:)
    the poll would indicate differently, i didn't invalidate your opinion, im sure mad men is great, but to say the shows aren't in the same league is a ridiculous statement to make, the shows are indeed in the same league as some of the best shows in TV,

im sure when i get around to watching MM ill enjoy it just as much as i enjoy GOT of any of the great TV shows ive seen,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

----Complete overreaction----

Slight over-reaction no?

So what if I didn't vote according to your standards, I made my choice based on the information I had, this is how most people vote. Fair enough I came in fully prepared to vote for Breaking Bad but my choice was swayed by the results as they stood then.

Maybe in future you should hide the poll results until after people have voted so that people don't ruin them on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Breaking Bad by a long long way. Just watched the 8 episodes of season 5 back to back toady and it didn't disappoint. One of my all time favourite shows, possibly my favourite ever.

The Walking Dead I have stuck with and been entertained. Sure it's gotten soapy but it's entertaining enough to keep me coming back.

Mad Men I lasted 3 season with. While I enjoyed it I just didn't feel compelled to stick with it, although I may return to it at some stage.

Games Of Thrones I made it through roughly one and a half seasons. I really don't get the love for it. It's the only show of the four in the poll that I got bored of.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Breaking Bad is probably my favourite show ever, along with Sopranos. It just gets better & better, pity its not back until June. Mad Men is also very good & the Walking Dead is entertaining but not in the same league as either of them. Game of Thrones I can take or leave, I'm struggling to finish the second season at the moment although a lot of people seem to love it. I personally think Boardwalk Empire is the second best thing currently on tv after Breaking Bad, I also love Sherlock and Dexter.

For those who are up to date with Breaking Bad this is a cool video showing Walts' transformation, if you haven't seen it up to the latest episode then don't watch it or you will ruin the show for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gattyman12

Don't think you can really compare those 4 shows.... Regardless of that I think breaking bad is the best thing to happen TV since color technology

don ramo wrote: »
    the poll would indicate differently, i didn't invalidate your opinion, im sure mad men is great, but to say the shows aren't in the same league is a ridiculous statement to make, the shows are indeed in the same league as some of the best shows in TV,

im sure when i get around to watching MM ill enjoy it just as much as i enjoy GOT of any of the great TV shows ive seen,

Well, I enjoyed GoT season2, I thought Season 1 was boring and if Season 2 was like Season 1 I'd have stopped watching it.

Mad Men has no bad seasons, it has no bad episodes. That's just my opinion which is only ever going to be worth one vote in the poll. It's premise/setting is not one that would interest me if I'd read about it, but the writing and acting are better that anything I've seen in years.

I love Breaking Bad, I followed its production before it began and it's never let me down. Mad Men is more rewarding. Game of Thrones has parts I love and parts I hate, characters I love and characters that bore me. Both Mad Men and Breaking Bad do not have that, even the characters I dislike/despise are still entertaining.

Just for reference:

My number one favourite tv show is Deadwood.

Justified, Mad Men, Hell On Wheels and Breaking bad would make up the rest of my top 5 (not in order).

• Advertisement
Advertisement