Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad vs Walking Dead vs Game of Thrones vs Mad Men

Options
  • 24-08-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Im curious

Breaking Bad vs Walking Dead vs Game of Thrones vs Mad Men 239 votes

Breaking Bad
    0% 0 votes
    The Walking Dead
    64% 155 votes
    Game of Thrones
    8% 20 votes
    Mad Men
    26% 64 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not. The four are all quite different, you might as well do a full on Vic 'n Bob poll, something like

Pants
    Sparrows
    Dave Hill
    Sony Walkman

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gazza3k11

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm not. The four are all quite different, you might as well do a full on Vic 'n Bob poll, something like

Pants
    Sparrows
    Dave Hill
    Sony Walkman
    These four seem to be the most popular among my friends so I was curious to see what would win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Breaking Bad will win.

Totally different shows however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Couldn't get in to Walking Dead, Zombies are so boring, unless you're slicing them up with chainsaws on the xbox. Mad Men too, not into it at all at all. Except for Jane, Jane's deadly, can't think of her real name, think it's Hendricks or something.
    Breaking Bad and GofT are both great tho

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gazza3k11

Couldn't get in to Walking Dead, Zombies are so boring, unless you're slicing them up with chainsaws on the xbox. Mad Men too, not into it at all at all. Except for Jane, Jane's deadly, can't think of her real name, think it's Hendricks or something.
    Walking Dead is my personal favorite but I can definitely see how people could find it boring

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Four completely different shows, set in completely different worlds, telling 4 completely different stories, using 4 completely different genres: you might as well say what's better - oranges or fire hydrants.

You're not really going to get any consensus so I'd recommend instead reading the Breaking Bad & Game of Thrones forums that sit under 'Television' and dig out the Walking Dead & Mad Men threads that can be found in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

What's the Walking Dead doing in there?

Love BB but Mad Men is astonishingly well crafted and tops it imo. GoT is all a bit silly but entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Yamanoto wrote: »
    What's the Walking Dead doing in there?
    surprisingly TWD pulls in 3 times more viewers than the other 3,

i haven't gotten around to mad men yet, but of the other 3, breaking bad wins for me, its on its fifth and final season, and has gotten better each season,

the walking dead only seemed to be getting into it stride near the the second half of season 2, although TBF season 1 was only 6 episodes, so hopefully season 3 will be the making of the show,

game of thrones is one of my favorite shows and is only slightly edged out by BB, but is also followed very closely by Homeland which is oddly missing from your list,

and as has been said you couldn't possibly have picked 4 shows so dissimilar to each other, and you could have done a fifth with Homeland:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

You're thinking of JOAN, her real name is Christina Hendricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Actually, I think you'll find it's Chesty LaRoux :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

You know, just because they're different doesn't mean they can't be compared. And they're all TV shows at the end of the day, so they have that in common. In this instance, Breaking Bad is obviously better than Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. Only seen one season of Mad Men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

mike65 wrote: »

Pants
    Sparrows
    Dave Hill
    Sony Walkman
    That is bs. Of course they can be compared! They are all popular tv shows.
    I prefer breaking bad as it a more fast paced action show than mad men. Perfectly reasonable asking what show people prefer.
    So if I asked what is peoples favourite take away, you'd argue that ridiculus as pizza is completely different to chinese food?!!!

snausages wrote: »
    You know, just because they're different doesn't mean they can't be compared. And they're all TV shows at the end of the day, so they have that in common. In this instance, Breaking Bad is obviously better than Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. Only seen one season of Mad Men.
    yeah but generally shows are polled against other shows in their genre, like breaking bad would be put in with the sopranos and the wire, and the walking dead would be in with falling skies and terra nova,

they can of course be put up against each other, but there are a lot more action/drama fans on here so you can tell as soon as the poll is up who will win, in this case breaking bad, and Game of Thrones is coming in second which is also no surprise, 2 of the best 3 shows currently in production,

Still don't see the problem. Cross-genre comparisons are perfectly valid. Breaking Bad, The Wire and Sopranos > Falling Skies, Terra Nova, Lost, Walking Dead, Flashforward. Dickens > Fifty Shades etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Pointless poll tbh

Still don't see the problem. Cross-genre comparisons are perfectly valid. Breaking Bad, The Wire and Sopranos > Falling Skies, Terra Nova, Lost, Walking Dead, Flashforward. Dickens > Fifty Shades etc.
    there no problem with it, its just this forum is more skewed more towards breaking bad, sopranos and the wire, the result is easily predictable, like the HBO one a few weeks back, everyone knew the wire would win and the sopranos was the only show that might get in its way,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

GOT FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I like them all except Walking dead, half way through series 2 and it's still the same crap running a way from zombie, kill some zombies run away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Difficult to pick between Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Totally different shows and budgets involved.

I would probably pick Breaking Bad if I had to choose one now but Game of Thrones has the potential to be the greatest show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Breaking Bad by a long LONG LONG margin..

.. while I really enjoy Game Of Thrones, I don't fully understand the unrequited love for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They're all different and all but Breaking Bad is in a league above all of them, it's art where the other ones are just TV shows IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

As much as I love Mad Men and Game of Thrones, I have to pick Breaking Bad. Unbelievable programme, with some amazing performances. I find some of the actors in GoT not to be that great, and although I try not to compare them, the tv show doesn't match up to the brilliance of the books imo, especially season 2. Mad Men is a show I find hugely interesting and enjoyable, but there's just something about BB that trumps it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You can't really make cross-genre comparisons because different genres tell different stories in different ways. Look at it this way: you wouldn't compare Beastie Boys with The Beatles - they may both be musical groups, play music & sing songs, but both are from completely different points in the musical spectrum, bringing completely different sounds, messages & stories to the table.

It's the same with various TV fiction: you can only fairly compare each show from within the genre it exists - anything else is a crude arbitrary judgement that doesn't fairly square the merits each show has; and putting it into an X > Y > Z comparison is just too glib by half.

Personally, I've found Breaking Bad massively over-hyped; a solid drama with some standout performances from its leads, but that's about it. The Walking Dead would be the weakest show of the four, but that's within its own context: season 2 was brutal at times, but when the show clicked it entertained, thrilled and had as much legitimate drama as any HBO wunderkid.

The whole point in juxtaposing different shows is that they tell different stories in different ways. If they were all doing the same thing then there would be nothing to compare.

Beatles>Beastie Boys

Walking Dead is the worst of the 4 because of drawn out melodramatic soap opera storylines.

But I agree, Breaking Bad is ridiculously over-hyped. Since the season 2 finale it hasn't been quite the same. Still like it better than the other 3 shows though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have seen every episode Walking Dead and will continue to watch it every week but I can admit the it should not be anywhere near a list with those three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

You're thinking of JOAN, her real name is Christina Hendricks.
    yes, indeed, the chick with the big.....assests....I mean tits.
    Don's missus is nice too, Betty's rotten now tho, used to be nice. Bet Peggy'd be filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But I agree, Breaking Bad is ridiculously over-hyped. Since the season 2 finale it hasn't been quite the same. Still like it better than the other 3 shows though.
    Breaking Bad has gotten better and better with each episode. Everything about it trumps the other shows. Just the way it's shot is in a league far above the other shows never mind the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, Breaking Bad is the best it's been... seems to break conventions in that every single episode has an inherent air / feeling for danger for every SINGLE character. Some of the most tense and brave scenes on TV both in the past and present.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Breaking Bad has gotten better and better with each episode. Everything about it trumps the other shows. Just the way it's shot is in a league far above the other shows never mind the story.

Watching Season 5 atm I would definitely say it's better than 3 or 4, but the series as a whole really hasn't maintained that consistent standard throughout. Season 4 was laboriously paced. It had its moments towards the end, especially with Don Eladio, but season 4 seemed to be spinning the wheels for a long while until we got to that episode. It's not like we needed an entire episode dedicated to Maria's kleptomania, a plot piece that was done and dusted it seemed in season 1. There are quite a few other examples of episodes like that where you'd have these inconsequential scenes that add nothing (how long did Walt and Skyler spend rehearsing the car wash alibi?) or scenes where it just seems like they're giving the rest of the cast something to do (Walt Jr. anyone?). Season 3 then had those ridiculous mexican twins straight out of the Matrix. After Tuco it was a bit jarring, thank god for Gus.

All nitpicking aside it's the best thing currently airing on TV. I'm surprised that season 5 is as good as it is. After season 4 I was worried it had run out of steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Quite a pointless poll also but nevertheless i couldn't help but vote for Game of Thrones despite the second season to be much weaker than the first.

I would also be of the opinion that Breaking Bad, while excellent is highly overrated. I am half through series 4 of Breaking Bad and while I enjoy it only the final few episodes in each season actually gripped me like GoT did. Whole sections of each season just drift by, the cousins wandering around, the car wash deal, Hank in hospital, Skyler's IFT.

I find the series story progression very slow. A lack of new faces, the same characters many of which i am sick of (Skyler, Walter jnr., Maria, Badger). The vast dry wasteland setting of New Mexico is losing its appeal also. I have been told that season 4 improves and season 5 is great though but so far, its the best thing on while GoT is off the air.

Walking Dead's a good bit of fun, pure popcorn and gore. Do need to be fully entralled in it to keep up and not afraid to kill of a few main characters.

Speaking of which Game of Thrones is ruthless for this, you have no idea when the arrows will reign in or some is stabbed in the back, poisoned or sentenced to death. On top of that the lavish production of costume, location, props, cgi and cast is an example of how money should be spent on tv show. By no means perfect though.

Advertisement