Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell UK Outlet: XPS 13" Core i5 Ultrabook for €770 Delivered (save €380)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

Pop the keys off, rearrange them and change the regional settings to Irish

This isnt possible on the new models which is why im looking for one with a QWERTY keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mcsirl wrote: »
    Pop the keys off, rearrange them and change the regional settings to Irish

This isnt possible on the new models which is why im looking for one with a QWERTY keyboard.
    Option B would be to get the keyboard you want on eBay for about £30 and swap it yourself afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

vibe, did you get it yet, or anyone else?

any reports on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm actually holding off getting it for now.

i'm half thinking of going completely the other way with an Asus Transformer infinity when the UK version is launched on the 10th September.

Altho i had a look at the samsung ultrabook mentioned on page one of the thread in currys yesterday and it's pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I was thikning of going elsewhere also but every dell i have had I upgrade the warranty to 3 year onsite and its worth its weight in gold. Do all manufactures offer this do you know??

in saying that the dells I have had have broken down numerous times and had parts replaced under warranty but I never was down for more then 2 days with the onsite support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just ordered a refurbished 14z from the UK Dell outlet. They're doing free shipping for the next few weeks - normally £22. Payed £370 - aprox €464 (€679 new from Dell.ie). I have my doubts that the purchase will go through as you're supposed to use a UK credit card which I don't have. They will only ship to the address that your credit card company has on file so I had to change this to the parcel motel one:eek: The order acknowledgement email says:
    Your order will be released into production as soon as your Bank has cleared your payment

so I'll just have to wait and see.If worse comes to worst I have a friend of a friend in NI who could probably order for me.

If it does go through I'm happy enough to take the risk of having limited insurance for the trip from Parcel Motel's NI depot to Dublin as they seem to be very reliable.

Has anyone actually succeeded in ordering from the UK Dell outlet with an Irish credit card/Parcel Motel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You read my mind digitaldr its something I was thinking of doing myself. Was wondering how it would work. Let us know how you get on. Is that a good price for that?

vibe666 wrote: »
    Altho i had a look at the samsung ultrabook mentioned on page one of the thread in currys yesterday and it's pretty nice.

Had a look at that myself yesterday - thought the screen was pretty crappy for the price. I'm not too fussed about performance or thinness/lightness (although I draw the line at a 17 incher!) but really love a sharp screen - my iPad 3 has me spoiled. Unfortunately you have to pay crazy money for a decent HD+/full hd IPS screen. I wish some manufacturer would realease an averaged specced laptop with an above average screen.

Given my budget I've had to settled for a Dell 14z which will mainly be used for my wife's work stuff anyway!

BostonB wrote: »
    You read my mind digitaldr its something I was thinking of doing myself. Was wondering how it would work. Let us know how you get on. Is that a good price for that?

I reckon so although it's not 100% clear if it's the 2012 model although specs look like it is. I suppose if I was patient I could have asked them tomorrow when the online chat support was open.

digitaldr wrote: »
    so I'll just have to wait and see.If worse comes to worst I have a friend of a friend in NI who could probably order for me.

If it does go through I'm happy enough to take the risk of having limited insurance for the trip from Parcel Motel's NI depot to Dublin as they seem to be very reliable.

Has anyone actually succeeded in ordering from the UK Dell outlet with an Irish credit card/Parcel Motel?
    i think only the first line of the address is checked, so if you put that in it should work.

the other thing is, i think if you get a particular address on file with your CC company ahead of time, they will still authorise it.

*neither of these things may actually work*

i got a call about my order and ended up cancelling it and i was planning on getting the asus transformer infinity instead, but amazon are farting around with it and even tho it went on sale officially on 10th sept. (with a UK amazon exclusive sales deal with asus) only a few early pre-orders seem to have gone out so far and the only one on there ATM is with a french azerty keyboard. komplett have the US/International version, but I like my @ key in the right place. :D

• Advertisement

Sorry vibe666 I'm not 100% clear - did you actually order from the Dell UK outlet using the first line of your address as in this post I found a few minutes ago?

Did Dell then call you because they thought the order looked dodgy?

I tried changing the address to an NI address before but it didn't work eventually as it will raise a flag as payment will have to go through an ROI bank. Let me know how you get on....

Figured as much - no word from Dell yet. Might have to go through the friend of a friend route after all.

I have the Samsung ultrabook that's been mentioned on this thread a bit. Can't fault it, can even play any game I throw at even with just its integrated graphics. Only thing I wish it had was a backlit keyboard but I can live without it. It was a great deal for £549 after £100 cashback.

I have the Samsung ultrabook that's been mentioned on this thread a bit. Can't fault it, can even play any game I throw at even with just its integrated graphics. Only thing I wish it had was a backlit keyboard but I can live without it. It was a great deal for £549 after £100 cashback.

do you have a version with the HD4000 graphics - comes with Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) cpu?

glasso wrote: »
    do you have a version with the HD4000 graphics - comes with Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) cpu?

Yeps!

Edit: Pcworld/Currys seems to be down, it was this one anyway.

Edit edit: This one.

Sorry vibe666 I'm not 100% clear - did you actually order from the Dell UK outlet using the first line of your address as in this post I found a few minutes ago?

Did Dell then call you because they thought the order looked dodgy?
    i read another thread about purchasing from the dell outlet store that mentioned that the first line of the address was the only one that is checked to authenticate the card and that if you put it in the billing address as a UK address but use the first line of your own address in it, it will go through okay.

HOWEVER i got a call back to say it hadn't gone through, but i'm not sure if it was due to my available credit being too low (it was slightly over my limit, but those transactions usually go through okay) or due to the address problems.

by the time they called me i'd already decided not to pursue it if it didn't go through first time, so i never bothered to check the reason it was declined with my bank.

i have also read elsewhere that as long as a delivery address that is different from your billing address (i.e. UK parcel motel address) is registered as a valid delivery address with your credit card company, that these authorisation checks will go through okay.

i have never actually bothered to test it out though so i can't confirm 100% that either of the above methods will work. :)

i read another thread about purchasing from the dell outlet store that mentioned that the first line of the address was the only one that is checked to authenticate the card and that if you put it in the billing address as a UK address but use the first line of your own address in it, it will go through okay.

HOWEVER i got a call back to say it hadn't gone through, but i'm not sure if it was due to my available credit being too low (it was slightly over my limit, but those transactions usually go through okay) or due to the address problems.

by the time they called me i'd already decided not to pursue it if it didn't go through first time, so i never bothered to check the reason it was declined with my bank.

i have also read elsewhere that as long as a delivery address that is different from your billing address (i.e. UK parcel motel address) is registered as a valid delivery address with your credit card company, that these authorisation checks will go through okay.

i have never actually bothered to test it out though so i can't confirm 100% that either of the above methods will work. :)

the problem will be the payment going through ROI bank, not UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

What's the heaviest game you've thrown at it?

glasso wrote: »
    the problem will be the payment going through ROI bank, not UK one.
    it's not like it's illegal to have a credit card based in another country, i don't see the problem there if they are delivering to the UK?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply vibe666 - no confirmation email yet, it can take up to 48 hours. If/when it's confirmed I'll probably cancel the order anyway as I was checking out the business outlet and for slightly more money I can get a higher res screen on an admittedly slightly heavier (but probably sturdier) laptop. I used the online chat support to check if a home user can order from the business outlet - no problem apparently. I didn't see anyway of cancelling an unconfirmed order but might ask them today.

Adamcp898 wrote: »

What's the heaviest game you've thrown at it?

Skyrim, works fine on low settings.

I thought I'd got away with it when I got this email late last night
    Confirmation of your recent Dell order is attached.

The Estimated Delivery Date for this order is on or before 2012-10-03.

To check on the progress of your order please click on this link:    

Anyway turns out I hadn't - this came this morning: 
     Thank you for choosing Dell! Please be advised that Dell is unable to process your recent order(s) due to invalid or missing credit card information. It may be that the information provided does not match the credit card company's records. Please contact Dell at 01344378887 - [3406772] to provide this information so we can complete your order.
    Please note that failure to contact us within 1 business day may result in cancellation of your order. To expedite the handling of your call, please have your order number (seen above) when calling. We apologize for any inconvenience this additional security step may cause. Dell is committed to providing a safe and secure shopping experience for our customers.

Regards,

Wasn't too upset as I'd already decided to cancel the order and go for another laptop from the UK business outlet (dell say you don't have to be a business user to purchase) with a HD+ screen. This time I'll be getting my NI friend of a friend to put the order through. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ I am not sure why it didn't work for you. It worked for me without any problem. Only about couple of weeks back.

I got a business machine. It came with 3yr warranty as standard. And I did get the HD+ screen.

Although I may have to sell it off and get a different business laptop as I need to use it for a particular thing.

Guess I was just unlucky. Incidently what are the full specs on that laptop - might be interested in buying it!

it's not like it's illegal to have a credit card based in another country, i don't see the problem there if they are delivering to the UK?

no it's not illegal but for whatever reason the c card has to be a uk one.

I reckon it might be because big companies like Dell have to be more mindful of wee and vat and so have to be very careful about not selling to outside of the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Guess I was just unlucky. Incidently what are the full specs on that laptop - might be interested in buying it!

PM'd you the laptop configuration.

Just a little more follow up on this - I got another email from Dell:

I'm sorry to inform you that the order has already been cancelled because the card was declined when we tried to get an authorization from your card provider. It's possible that it was due to some pre-cautionary measures of your bank.
    I would recommend for you to re-process the order online but please contact your card provider to ensure that the transaction will no longer be blocked.

For your replies, questions or clarifications, kindly send it to my email address,

I checked with my card provider (AIB) - they assured me that the payment had been approved them - I think they said it was the day after I placed the order. So I guess it was rejected by Dell because it was a non-UK bank? I wonder if other people had success because their cards were issued by a UK owned bank? Anyway my sister's neighbour has a business in NI and is going to order the laptop for me on Monday - hope it's not gone by then!

• Advertisement
Advertisement