Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be able to log into the my.tcd.ie portal yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm pretty annoyed that the outgoing SU president apparently knew about this since July. Seriously breakdown in communication on all sides here.
    I wonder what they'd do if third years just refused to pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Lawliet wrote: »
    I'm pretty annoyed that the outgoing SU president apparently knew about this since July. Seriously breakdown in communication on all sides here.
    I wonder what they'd do if third years just refused to pay it

There is no understandable reason for them asking for it this year other than trying to make a bit of money from the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I am not in final year; why do I pay now?

In certain circumstances it is possible for students to graduate with a lower degree. Those students might exit before the final year of their degree programme.

Considering the majority don't do this, couldn't they just deal with this on a case by case basis? Fairly weak reason. And no mention of whether we'll be charged again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Lawliet wrote: »
    Considering the majority don't do this, couldn't they just deal with this on a case by case basis? Fairly weak reason. And no mention of whether we'll be charged again next year

According to my email from the treasury department, we will not be paying this fee again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Hope someone can help,

I've been trying to log on to mytcd.ie for a while now - used all the passwords I can think of (I can still access the old tcd portal and myzone gmail account) - but I can't log on with any of those.

I haven't got the e-mail about being able to register which they said would be done by group? - just the general announcement about the new system (where it does say I should be able to log on... can't though)

I clicked the 'forgot your password' thing and it says I've to actually go into the IS service helpdesk to change the password - BUT that I need my student card to do so. I only have last years one so how would that work?

Thanks if anyone can help! or if anyone's in the same boat. :)
    (I'm SF by the way if it makes any difference)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

kate.m wrote: »
    Hope someone can help,

I've been trying to log on to mytcd.ie for a while now - used all the passwords I can think of (I can still access the old tcd portal and myzone gmail account) - but I can't log on with any of those.

I haven't got the e-mail about being able to register which they said would be done by group? - just the general announcement about the new system (where it does say I should be able to log on... can't though)

I clicked the 'forgot your password' thing and it says I've to actually go into the IS service helpdesk to change the password - BUT that I need my student card to do so. I only have last years one so how would that work?

Thanks if anyone can help! or if anyone's in the same boat. :)
    (I'm SF by the way if it makes any difference)

Try using your date of birth as the password in this format 10NOV1990 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Try using your date of birth as the password in this format 10NOV1990 :pac:

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Should we be able to log into myzone.tcd.ie yet? I ask because I'm now receiving emails addressed to 'myname'@tcd.ie as well as my own email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

mathstalk wrote: »
    Should we be able to log into myzone.tcd.ie yet? I ask because I'm now receiving emails addressed to 'myname'@tcd.ie as well as my own email address.
    When did you get those emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rhadamanthus

Just read the UT article - what the hell? I was annoyed about having to pay it in 4th year, but why are they making 3rd years pay it? Clearly hoping to make big money on the interest while it sits in an account for 2 years... :rolleyes:

JS students (in, it seems, quite a few degrees) have an option to graduate with an ordinary degree on the basis of their examinations in that year. So it's possible that you could graduate after third year and thus can be made to pay the commencement fee now.

Presumably, of course, if you don't graduate in that year you're either reimbursed or it's put towards graduation with an honours degree in 4th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

JS students (in, it seems, quite a few degrees) have an option to graduate with an ordinary degree on the basis of their examinations in that year. So it's possible that you could graduate after third year and thus can be made to pay the commencement fee now.

Presumably, of course, if you don't graduate in that year you're either reimbursed or it's put towards graduation with an honours degree in 4th year.

But is that not a very rare occurance? I don't know (of) anyone who's done that. It's only done in certain cases, probably in extenuating circumstances, etc. Surely it would make more sense to work with that on a case-by-case basis, rather than charge everyone a year early.

The cynic in me still believes that they're doing it to get interest on the money while it sits in a bank account somewhere. And what those who have to repeat JS? Will they have to pay it twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

And what those who have to repeat JS? Will they have to pay it twice?

"What is this fee?
    This fee covers the cost of your graduation. It is a once-off fee for each degree course."

http://www.tcd.ie/dean_students/news.php

lauz94 wrote: »
    When did you get those emails?

After I paid the fee, they emailed me a receipt and under the "To" header, it listed another email: 'myname'@tcd.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

But is that not a very rare occurance? I don't know (of) anyone who's done that. It's only done in certain cases, probably in extenuating circumstances, etc. Surely it would make more sense to work with that on a case-by-case basis, rather than charge everyone a year early.

The cynic in me still believes that they're doing it to get interest on the money while it sits in a bank account somewhere. And what those who have to repeat JS? Will they have to pay it twice?
    In fairness, deciding they'll deal with some things on a case by case basis surely defeats the purpose of paying a lot of money to implement an automated system. And there are some people who leave because they get offered a job or something from an internship they do during the summer between 3rd and 4th year.

And since they said it's a once off fee, I'm assuming that means it's a once off fee....

Just wondering,does everyones application status on'My.Tcd' currently say..'Unconditional offer,accepted firmly' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just wondering,does everyones application status on'My.Tcd' currently say..'Unconditional offer,accepted firmly' ?
    Are you applying from the UK?

Very strange. They're both UCAS terms. I know the portal is a stock portal solution provided by a UK company but surely they'd have localised it first.

Are you applying from the UK?

Very strange. They're both UCAS terms. I know the portal is a stock portal solution provided by a UK company but surely they'd have localised it first.
    No,i'm applying from Ireland..it originally said 'Unconditional offer-waiting for response'.. Then the latter part changed to accepted firmly'..is anybody elses like that? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tyty

Mine is the same, but that's good, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Horsovsky

Don't worry that's the exact same as mine:)

HerrTau wrote: »

Thats ok so :) Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Thats ok so :) Thanks :)

Bit off point,but did ye all get that letter with info about the societies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I did! And it was great. So much free food to be had :D

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I did! And it was great. So much free food to be had :D
    Aw cool :) No sign of one for me yet so hopefully will get it tomorrow! :)

Mine came in the post today; full of juicy bits and pieces from the societies. Was very exciting indeed.

mathstalk wrote: »

Mine came in the post today; full of juicy bits and pieces from the societies. Was very exciting indeed.
    Is anybody still waiting for it,like me? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Horsovsky

I think you worry a bit too much :D I haven't received any letters either

I think you worry a bit too much :D I haven't received any letters either
    Haha I suppose so :P

Just registered,finally! :) Do we need to supply a photo for our student id cards or is the photo taken there, like it is for the student travel cards? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Your photo will be taken there

Advertisement