Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2: Profession Choice

Options
  • 23-08-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

So with only 2 days to go until the head start opens up let's hear what everyone's main choice of profession is going to be.

Gw2 is going to be very alt friendly no doubt so just pick your favourite of the professions or whichever you think you will spend most of your time with and feel free to give some insight into why. Also what's everyone's main focus going to be? PvE or PvP?

Which profession will you main? 52 votes

Elementalist
    0%
    Mesmer
    9%
    GREENGEKOWeleaseBlimpyBoyXeynToom3y7 5 votes
    Necromancer
    9%
    OSiriSJimcherryghostDohnny JeppOmphin 5 votes
    Engineer
    7%
    InquitusLone Stone_Puma_Radhead 4 votes
    Ranger
    21%
    CalhounmarshbaboonmiralizeSolvableKnavereaper12danthefanblockedPaTVenomIrelandLaviskiProcrastastudyOne Eyed Milkman 11 votes
    Thief
    17%
    SeanehKilOitNewaglishdelta36Blood-MartyrSgtBobIcyseanfitzElrolloseven_eleven 9 votes
    Guardian
    23%
    DesertFoxKur4mAArthurGKiithDave_The_SheepGonzovisiondublinscotGlebeeYouSavedMyLifeMr Blobbylemon_remonKai_Dante 12 votes
    Warrior
    11%
    DcullyBig KnoxIgsTerMagill2smiggyMikeyJoyce 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Warrior
    I'm still not 100% on Guardian or Ranger but I'm leaning more towards Guardian as I think they will be the pillar of a good group for pve and pvp.

Will spend the first week or so just questing and exploring the game world but once I get a few levels my focus will go mainly on PvP with a health mix of sPvP and WvW!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Guardian
    Thief for me. Love the mobility they offer, and who doesn't like pistol whipping people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Narcromancer and Mesmer. I can't decide so I'm going to level both.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Originally thought i was gonna go Necro, but after playing a bit in the beta im gonna try Guardian and Elementalist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Mesmer
    Ele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Engineer
    Il be rolling a necro, I only played it a small bit one of the stress test's. But im an alt aholic anyway so il probably try a few out to different levels and just see which i end up liking the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,255 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Warrior
    i played with the ranger in 2 stress tests , but i will try the guardian first, then something else , if i like neither i will go back to the ranger for a bit

still not much of an idea really !

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Toom3y7

Mesmer
    Im going to start ele, but necro and mesmer are a close second!! For the first few days/weeks ill be focusing on PvE mainly i think! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Warrior
    I really enjoyed the warrior,Ele and Guardian.
    Ill be rolling too many alts :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im new to mmo's,a complete noob if you like,only really started playing mmo's this year,swtor,teria,got stung by them but im gonna play as a warrior because i like to smash people :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

Necromancer
    :pac:Mesmer for me

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GREENGEKO

Mesmer
    going with a elementalist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Ranger
    Engineer - they seem cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

Wanted to play engineer, but they seem way too underpowered and just have too many mechanics to manage.

Most likely Necro due to their survive-ability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Guardian
    I have no idea to be honest. I only played in one beta weekend as a Thief and Necro. I dunno if they changed how the melee thief played but it seems seriously underpowered in the beta i played since guns and shortbow offered everything dagger/swords did without having to get up close. Im sure at the char select screen i may end up picking Thief but i dont wanna play a ranged thief as i may as well just play as a ranger or something. Switching between melee and ranged sounds ok though. In massive PvP cluster ****s i cant see a melee thief lasting long.

Only played Necro for alittle bit but it instantly felt much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Guardian
    Kiith wrote: »
    Thief for me. Love the mobility they offer, and who doesn't like pistol whipping people :)

Ditto. This may be my first non magic ranged role ever.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Ranger
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Wanted to play engineer, but they seem way too underpowered and just have too many mechanics to manage.

Most likely Necro due to their survive-ability

Play what you enjoy imo - nerf bat comes to all men.

Except ranjas - ranjas suck :D (Woot zero :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

Ranger
    I picked engineer when I got in this morning. I had no clue what to choose as I hadn't even played the beta or anything. But, I liked the look of the engineer, lol, he looked like Jon Shannow from David Gemmell's book Wolf in Shadows.

:D Well that's how I based my selection as I know nothing about any profession or race!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Necromancer
    Went with Mesmer. Very fun. Really like their style of mechanics in the game. A lot of satisfaction creating 3 illusions and then blowing them up on a gang of enemies :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Warrior
    Fcuk sake is all i can say !!!
    Lastnight i played about 2 hours of my Elementalist and now ive an even bigger headache than before,i cant decide on a main at all lol.
    Ive always been a healer at heart in my mmos,once i got hold of a staff for the Ele and unlocked its water skills i was in healing heaven, green numbers popping up allover the place , only healing whores will get a rush from green numbers onscreen :P
    Ofcourse we dont really have a healing archtype as such but i was well impressed with the heals the Ele can pump out.

Warrior,Guardian,Elementalist seem to be my top choices atm, i might decide in about a month lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I went with ranger. I like pets as they make leveling more fun, especially as there are so many in GW2 and they are all different.

Being able to hit people from a screen away is satisfying too. "Where the feck did that come from?!?" :p

I actually picked warrior first but stopped after a couple of levels. My ranger is 21 now. I'll go back to the warrior but not for a while.

Guardian
    Have my Thief to lvl37 now, and still really enjoying it. The mobility it offers is just fantastic, and Thieves Guild (1st Elite skill) is fantastic. Having another 2 thieves jumping in really makes some fights easy, and can easily take on Veterans now.

Going to roll a Mesmer tonight though, as they look like a lot of fun.

Kiith wrote: »
    Have my Thief to lvl37 now, and still really enjoying it. The mobility it offers is just fantastic, and Thieves Guild (1st Elite skill) is fantastic. Having another 2 thieves jumping in really makes some fights easy, and can easily take on Veterans now.

Going to roll a Mesmer tonight though, as they look like a lot of fun.

I keep seeing people talk about "builds for veterans" and "Got this skill and veterans are fine now" on all the forums and it just makes me go :confused: as ranger can take em so, so easily from level 1. It's kind of ridiculous. You just rotate your pets and keep hitting it.

Rangers are so OP in PvE. :p

Ranger
    Kirby wrote: »
    I keep seeing people talk about "builds for veterans" and "Got this skill and veterans are fine now" on all the forums and it just makes me go :confused: as ranger can take em so, so easily from level 1. It's kind of ridiculous. You just rotate your pets and keep hitting it.

Rangers are so OP in PvE. :p

Same here, I keep hearing about builds for veterans as well, but I am an engineer, they are supposed to be underpowered but I am still taking down veterans solo and have been since level 7 or so, I am level 19 now.

Guardian
    Yeah, i've not had too much issues with them, bar if there's limited area to move about. Some of the later ones are a lot tougher though. Champions are a pain to solo, but usually you get some random people joining while you try. I've certainly not built my thief around killing them.

Ranger
    champions are a bit of a pain all right :-) but that's some thing I like about GW2 so far, there is always someone about who will jump in and help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Guardian
    Also wonder about people having problems with veteran mobs. Maybe its just a case of some classes struggling with them, but i think its more of a case of people trying to play the game like a conventional MMO. Having no problems killing Vets as a Necro. Infact just before i logged off i killed two Vet Etiin who where both 3 levels above me with a very pet light build (Blood Fiend + Flesh Golem) I think i could actually solo some Champion mobs but it would take ages considering the amount of HP they have. Ok now im just showing off

Also wonder about people having problems with veteran mobs. Maybe its just a case of some classes struggling with them, but i think its more of a case of people trying to play the game like a conventional MMO. Having no problems killing Vets as a Necro. Infact just before i logged off i killed two Vet Etiin who where both 3 levels above me with a very pet light build (Blood Fiend + Flesh Golem) I think i could actually solo some Champion mobs but it would take ages considering the amount of HP they have. Ok now im just showing off

While I definitely agree with this in general, Longbow Ranger blows very simialr to the WoW hunter. It's probably the most conventional class I've seen in PvE.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Thief
    Ranger all the way for me! Was my first character in Guild Wars 1 as well. It is just so much fun to play, especially point blank shot. I come up right behind some centaur, before he can react, I've launched him down a hill :D

• Advertisement

Guardian
    I've rolled a Human Warrior now as well, as i war running out of low level mats for crafting on my Thief. Will get him to lvl10-15 tonight, and then go back to the Thief. Great fun though, and it's nice to not have to kite/stay at range.

Advertisement