Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I secretly root for Atheists in Debates

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Penn wrote: »
    I would agree and disagree in equal amounts. I'd be on the side of babies being born atheist, but I wouldn't feel any need to classify them as such until they had the capacity to believe in god(s).
    Yeah, but don't we like to tell people who "don't feel the need" to call themselves atheists that they are - whether they call themselves one or not!

*No* to baby labelling!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jernal wrote: »
    Just about to start reading 'The Blank Slate' by Pinker. Anyone else read it?
    Yep. It's good; most of Pinker's stuff is.

btw, I wonder what happened to Onesimus? You still lurking around, ready to pounce to the defence of the indefensibly silly? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Dades wrote: »
    Yeah, but don't we like to tell people who "don't feel the need" to call themselves atheists that they are - whether they call themselves one or not!

*No* to baby labelling!

*No* to baby labelling - but *yes* to baby eating? No wonder folks think atheists have their priorities all wrong... :p

• Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

*No* to baby labelling!

but it's a legal requirement for food tracabiliity :P:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

*No* to baby labelling - but *yes* to baby eating? No wonder folks think atheists have their priorities all wrong... :p

Have you ever met an atheist allergic to delicious babies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Have you ever met an atheist allergic to delicious babies?
    Why would God give someone an atheist gene and a baby allergy? That would be crazy. More proof of intelligent design

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Why would God give someone an atheist gene and a baby allergy? That would be crazy. More proof of intelligent design

What about vegetarian atheists? Are they true atheists, considering they can't eat babies?

Poor Onesimus. I don't think we'll be seeing him in this thread again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Have we agreed that using the term 'atheist' for babies is debatable but we all agree that babies are not born believing in the existence of God?

I pop out for half an hour...jeeze...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

gvn wrote: »
    What about vegetarian atheists? Are they true atheists, considering they can't eat babies?

Poor Onesimus. I don't think we'll be seeing him in this thread again.

You didn't eat him did you? :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Have we agreed that using the term 'atheist' for babies is debatable but we all agree that babies are not born believing in the existence of God? delicious.
    Fire up the BBQ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have we agreed that using the term 'atheist' for babies is debatable but we all agree that babies are not born believing in the existence of God?

Unless Onesimus comes back with evidence of a Christian gene, I think we're pretty much a lock on that matter.

I pop out for half an hour...jeeze...

I think everybody got a little distracted...
    You didn't eat him did you? :eek:

*ahem* No, no. Of course not. No. Definitely not. *ahem*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Fire up the BBQ!

Babies give me wind :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Onesimus wrote: »
    Can you scientifically prove this? Otherwise its just rhetorical theorie with no evidence to back it up.
    Oh my word. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I see only one real reason to label children as atheist and it's only to make the point that not believing in a god is all it takes to be atheist. It is in effect an effort to counter claims that atheism is the belief there is no gods.

Advertisement