Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners Support Group

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

great thread...but not so great for a few weeks with a broken collar bone and ribs:D
    will keep reading though

use a cheapie tripod for your camera and that should help you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

great thread, this forum taught me so much its unbelievable, we all need to get back to basics sometimes to remember why the hell we spent our savings on camera junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can someone recommmend me a cheap way of getting macros.
    Ive a Canon 1000D 58mm diameter lense.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Anyone going to the nikon course today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Can someone recommmend me a cheap way of getting macros.
    Ive a Canon 1000D 58mm diameter lense.

TIA

Extension tubes. They fit between your camera and any lens (for the specific mount of your camera), mounting the lens further from the sensor and aiding magnification. You don't lose any optical quality, but you do lose some light. Some come in a set of 3, which can be used in any combination.

You can get ones that will allow autofocus on your lens to work (Kenko are a recommended brand), but to be honest, AF on 1:1 macro is pretty useless, so you'll most likely be using manual focus anyway. So you can happily save a few quid by getting a manual focus only set if you want.

Best technique is to set the focus on the lens to define your magnification (how much your subject fills the frame), then move yourself back and forward to get the subject in focus (we're talking movement of only a few cm here). It makes sense when you try it.

The good thing is that if you get into macro, and end up getting a dedicated true macro lens, you can still use the tubes with It for greater than 1:1 magnification.

Close up filters (diopters) are an other option, but you lose sharpness, and they'll only work with the lens diameter they're made for.

Reversing your current lens is the cheapest option of all, if you're willing to hand hold your lens backwards in front of your open camera. On my phone now, so I can't post a link about it, but I think dirtyghettokid posted about it recently. You'll need to stick the lens aperture manually somehow, and probably set your camera to "release without lens" (or similar setting), depending in model.

Only think about a dedicated macro lens if you get serious about it. Stick to something 90mm or above, to give yourself a decent working distance from your subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 armitage1971

Yes count me in very much a beginner:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Just thought beginners would find this useful.

The first article explains what focal length is and the second explains
    how focal length affects perspective and hence the composition. Very important concept to understand!

Explanation of focal length:
    http://mansurovs.com/equivalent-focal-length-and-field-of-view

Effect of focal length on perspective:
    http://www.photozone.de/focal-length-and-perspective

Basically, you decide what focal length you should use depending on the compostion you want. Do you want dramatic perspective? use a short focal length. Do you want a "compressed" perspective or uncluttered background? Use a long focal length.

Don't use the zoom when you should be using your feet!

Hope that's not too confusing! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have a look at the Mentor thread in the Stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

I also bought understanding exposure, excellent read, got some good tips from it.

vic20 wrote: »
    Another beginner here. Have a Nikon D3100 for over a year but only started to realize it's full potential since buying "Understanding Exposure" recently.
    Waiting on delivery of a remote trigger for it so that I can use it on it's (cheap Aldi) tripod easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement