Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners Support Group

Options
  • 21-08-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all, i'm a newbie where photography is concerned and am eager to learn the "tricks of the trade". This year i managed to get myself the Canon Powershot SX40 and have to say i'm thrilled with it and i'm not even using it to its full potential! :D While i've gotten to grips with all the automatic settings i now want to explore the manual settings. I searched around for courses and considered doing a Fetec Level 5 Digital Photography Course through my local Community College but after some not so good reviews on the course posted by members of boards.ie, i've opted to try and "self teach". On advice from fellow posters i have bought the book Understanding Exposure. I have tried to read up on ISO/Shutter Speed/Aperture(f.stops) prior to this and felt lost but only a few pages into this book i feel i understand the "triangle" a bit better now.

What i'm hoping to achieve from this post is to get fellow beginners to share their pics and post their queries/questions and concerns with the aim of getting helpful non technical replies without feeling dumb for asking what might seem a stupid question to someone more experienced. Like for example...

Last night i took my camera to a local canal lock to try and capture a water scene from the flowing lock after discovering how the shutter speed worked from the above book and taking a few shots of rain coming out the gutter of my house. But when i got to the lock, set my camera to manual and tried to set the shutter speed to 1 second, the pic came out mostly white, so i went back and fiddled with the f.stops and ISO until the exposure guide bar indicated it was a good mix of settings to take a "correct exposure" but the shutter speed wasn't slow enough to capture the effect of the water i was looking for (i hope i'm making sense here).

[IMG][/img]7830495400_c9a18e62a9.jpg Coolnahay Lock by Mise Me Fein, on Flickr

Anyone else interested in being part of this thread/group?

(mods - i hope this is in the right section or that there isn't already a beginners thread somewhere??)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Great idea starting a beginner thread! Got my dslr a few days ago and have loads of questions so this thread may come in really handy! Will share some photos soon! Thanks OP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jonnybangbang

I'm a beginner as well, so i will probably be told I'm wrong. but you could try using a Neutral Density Filter on your lens. this will allow you to have longer shutter speeds to get the blur in the water i think your looking for and will help not to over expose. I had seen a video on youtube about it click here if you want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

First thing to do is switch off the date stamp. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Go out early in the day or late in the evening to capture slow shutter speeds, at these times the sun is lower in the sky. During the day when the sun is higher there's lots of light around and all you'll get with a 1 second+ exposure is a white or very bright over exposed photo. You could also try it on an overcast day as the clouds diffuse the sun's light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm a beginner as well, so i will probably be told I'm wrong. but you could try using a Neutral Density Filter on your lens. this will allow you to have longer shutter speeds to get the blur in the water i think your looking for and will help not to over expose. I had seen a video on youtube about it click here if you want to see it.

You are indeed correct, and infact - a handy on is a variable ND Filter. I've got a 77mm Fader ND MK II From LightCraft Workshop and I find it very good! And a lot cheaper then buying a full set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I've only had a DSLR for 5 or 6 months. So I guess that makes me a beginner too.

I know a fair bit about photography from a technical perspective though, so can probably help out with those questions (it's putting knowledge into practice that's the problem!).

And yeah, you need an ND filter for the effect you're going for. And a tripod or something to place your camera on. At 1/30sec shutter speed or slower, you're going to start seeing serious problems with camera shake, so doing these shots hand-held is not smart (unless you're going for the arty, blurred long exposure thing).

If anybody's on Flickr, feel free to add me. Can never have too many contacts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amdgilmore/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

wow!! wasn't expecting this sort of response, but so glad there are others out there like me :D

Kenny Loggins will do, it only appears on some pics for some reason, didn't realise the date would be big and ugly like this, but its all a learning process!

amdgilmore i have a tripod, its not a great one, its an old one off a video camera my mam had in the garage, thought i would dust it off and give it a run before i went to the expense of purchasing one... didn't use it on this pic, suppose i wanted to know for sure i had the correct settings on the camera before breaking out the tripod and going all "pro" LOL

stephenpthe pics were taken between 7/7.30 yesterday evening, it was quite sunny so that prob didn't help - thanks for the tip on early morning/late evening re shutter speed, something new learned today!!!

I will look into the ND lens, not very flush with cash (who is these days!!!) but maybe i can put it on my Xmas wish list!

I've a feeling this thread is going to become invaluable to me!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If a tripod can hold your camera securely and safely its useable. I've used a AUS$19.90 tripod to hold €6000 worth of camera and lens easily (the strap was in my hand the whole time of course.....don't take risks).

There is always enough light, no matter how dark it is. Tripods and long exposures allow for this. Even if its 5, 10 or 20 minute exposures. The light is there. We just can't see it.

If you can't afford an ND filter, get a big pair of sunglasses cheap and use them if you can. Most things can he ghetto fixed to work. Some people use welding glass for shooting during the day.

If you can think of a botch and get it to work, then it will work to some effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Another beginner here. Have a Nikon D3100 for over a year but only started to realize it's full potential since buying "Understanding Exposure" recently.
    Waiting on delivery of a remote trigger for it so that I can use it on it's (cheap Aldi) tripod easily.

just had a look at ebay for ND Filters, not as pricey as i thought, €15 + p&p... will defo look into getting one in the coming weeks!

Any of the newbies fancy setting ourselves a task/assignment, or maybe someone with more experience could set one for us, then we could post our pics and compare to see if we are doing it right or wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jonnybangbang

Hi kassie. there is already something like that going on Boards.ie . The current months task is movie's it can be found here .

Although it doesn't give the C & C on photos but the winner is the person with the most likes on their photo.

thanks jonnybangbang, have been following that thread for a few months now ooogling the fab pics, but what i was hoping for is that someone more experienced would be kind enough to critique the beginners pics and even give advice on how to improve the shot, just friendly guidance from more experienced photographers, beginners and experienced folks enjoying a hobby in common!!

think i'm getting the hang of the shutter speed lol i took pics of my daughter on her swing last nite and some neighbouring sheep following the farmer in his tractor for their dinner, not the most exciting of subjects i know :rolleyes:

had shutter speed set to half a second i think

[IMG][/img]7840783626_079d40ba87.jpg 22.08 (16) by Mise Me Fein, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]7840739162_579390db16.jpg 22.08 (21) by Mise Me Fein, on Flickr

again, i had probs with the whiteness in the first few shots that i took given that i had a slow shutter speed, how i managed to get these i'm not quite sure, maybe as the evening went by and the natural light reduced (between 7.30/8.30) that had something to do with it? I'm definitely going to get myself a filter if it means i can play around with shutter speed a lot more in brighter conditions :) oh, and these pics were also taken on a tripod... if any of the neighbours saw me out in the garden taken pics of sheep from a tripod they prob think i'm loosing the plot!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

lol thats a great idea!!!! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Post a Learning Curve Assignment thread in the Challanges forum. Each week or fortnight add a new assignment. All images posted in reply to the
    assignment are open for C&C and for "How did you do that" questions.

Keep the assignments simple and straightforward. It should not a competation nor should it be about the interpertation of the theme, it's about how to take the photo.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Thanks oldgoat, might just do that, though i think us beginners would need a more experienced person to set assignments for us, doesn't have to be the same person for each assignment, just as long as there is an assignment every 2 weeks or so (or whatever time frames suits!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

The best explanation that I found to help understand exposure and the relationship between iso, aperture and shutter speed was the water pipe analogy: It's breifly mentioned half way down this page: http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/exposure-aperture-shutter-speed
    Imagine you are using a hosepipe to fill a bucket to the brim. When the bucket is full that corresponds to a perfectly exposed photo.

Two things affect how much water we get in our bucket - the diameter of the hosepipe and how long we run the tap for. There are many combinations which will fill our bucket - from a narrow pipe left running for a long time to a wide pipe running for a short time, and everything in between.

A camera works in exactly the same way, with many combinations of aperture diameter ("hosepipe width") and shutter speed ("water running time") adding up to the same thing - a perfectly exposed photo ("full bucket").

I would add to this that the ISO setting is like changing how big your bucket is. At a very high ISO (6400) you only need a narrow hose (small aperture) or short time running (quick shutter speed) to fill a small bucket comapred to at a low ISO (e.g. 100) where you need to increase your aperture and or shutter speed.

I would also liken the time of day to how fast the water is coming through the hose. I.e. in bright sunshine the water is coming through the hose very quickly (lots of light!) so you need to keep your hose small or shutter speed small to make sure the bucket doesn't overflow, sometimes even your narrowest hose and shortest time running (shutter speed) won't be enough to stop the bucket overflowing (this is over exposure of the picture = blown out white parts.)

Conversely at night, when it's dark it's lke there's only a trickle of water coming through the hose, so even if you've the aperture wide open (large hose) you need a long shutter speed to allow enough water to trickle through. Maybe even the longest shutter speed the camera will allow won't be enough (e.g. one second) and you get an underexposed photo that is too dark (not enough water to fill the bucket).

Hope this helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Another newb here! I got my first DSLR yesterday. A friend kindly helped me pick one out and got a good deal for me.

I got a Canon EOS 500D, I'm just about to go out and attempt to take some artsy fartsy pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Don't forget your beret

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Another newb here! I got my first DSLR yesterday. A friend kindly helped me pick one out and got a good deal for me.

I got a Canon EOS 500D, I'm just about to go out and attempt to take some artsy fartsy pictures!

Good camera to start out with. If I may make a suggestion, ignore all of the presets on the mode dial, and concentrate on the standard three - Aperture priority, Shutter priority, and full manual (listed on Canon cameras as Av, Tv, and M respectively, if I'm not mistaken). Aperture priority (Av) is a good starting point - you select the size of the aperture opening, and the camera sets the appropriate shutter speed to match. Play around with different aperture sizes, and see how it affects how much light is let through, and more importantly, the depth of field (how much of the elements of the photo are in focus).

Read this for a good explanation of aperture size (f-stop)
    http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

...and this for an explanation of depth of field, and how it's affected by the aperture opening...
    http://www.uscoles.com/depthoffield.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

chalk me down for the beginner stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Learning Curve assignments are being set in the Photo Challange forum.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Desparately needs an "add a reflector" option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 onewhogroks

Just got a Nikon D70s this morning. Count me in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

You guys should participate in this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056749028

A basic kit lens will do fine for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

great thread...but not so great for a few weeks with a broken collar bone and ribs:D
    will keep reading though

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

great thread...but not so great for a few weeks with a broken collar bone and ribs:D
    will keep reading though

Don't let an injury inhibit you, theres tons of stuff to photograph in your own home. Learn a bit about macro whilst your busted scap and ribs mend. You don't need to be outside to get good shots, just look through some of the work on this forum, its inspiring. I just spent the last year recovering from similar injuries sustained via a motorbike wreck and know how ye are feeling, Get Well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Faing wrote: »
    Don't let an injury inhibit you, theres tons of stuff to photograph in your own home. Learn a bit about macro whilst your busted scap and ribs mend. You don't need to be outside to get good shots, just look through some of the work on this forum, its inspiring. I just spent the last year recovering from similar injuries sustained via a motorbike wreck and know how ye are feeling, Get Well soon.

unless i can do it all with my left hand it just wont work sadly:D but do post your photos

Advertisement