Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy bars

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

hardCopy wrote: »
    Lucozade might be cheaper, I think it's something like €2 for a 4 x 500ml in Dunnes. Don't forget to include the carbs from your drink in your calculations.

I generally try to get the more solid stuff eaten early to midway through the bike to avoid a stitch on the run.

That sambo I mentioned earlier was eaten with about an hour remaining on the bike section of Gaelforce.

I find the Lucozade sport a little too sweet. I used the maxifuel yesterday and it went well.

I did 99k on the bike and 6k run.

On the bike i ate the 2 energy bars, the bag of wine gums, 500ml of water and 750ml of energy drink.

Just before the run i had 400ml of chilled water at home.

Verdict.

Not enough fliuds on the bike, i needed more by 80k ish. I'll have to refill during the bike so that i'm well hydrated on the run.

I loved he bars and they went fine in my system, i think i'll add in another bar and some energy jellies as well.

Before the run i'll eat something as well, i'm not great at running and eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Sounds like you have it under control, it's all trial and error until you find out what works for you, no silver bullet.

d4r3n wrote: »
    Sounds like you have it under control, it's all trial and error until you find out what works for you, no silver bullet.

Thats it but i need to know in advance, its an important part of my prep for the race. Perhaps it might not be for others but being diabetic i just have to be extra careful and i'm happy enough after yesterday and i think i just need to increase the amounts.

My partner yesterday have a french roll hollowed out with banana and cram cheese........it looked gooooooooooooooood !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Cheapest, tastiest, no junk ingredients, high energy......

1 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup sesame seeds
    1 1/2 cups dried apricots,finely chopped
    1 1/2 cups raisins
    1 cup shredded unsweetened dried coconut
    1 cup blanched almonds chopped
    1/2 cup non fat dried milk
    1/2 cup toasted wheatgerm
    2 tsp butter
    1 cup light corn syrup
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 1/4 cup chunky style peanut butter
    1 tsp orange extract
    2 tsp grated orange peel

Toast the oats,sesame seeds and wheatgerm,add all the dried ingredients.Put
    syrup,sugar and peanut butter into a pot and bring to a rolling boil and add
    to the dry ingredients.Set on baking tray and leave to set.

I make them with my little one. Wrap them in cellofene, freeze and eat them straight from the freezer. If you have odd bits left over roll them into balls and eat them like an energy ball! They are awesome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

If we're posting recipes this is one I did for the club newsletter and reminds me I haven't made them for a while :pac:....

Recipe: ActivMulti Bars

This recipe makes 8 great bars. They can be used as Energy bars (229kcal per bar) or just as a snack / chocolate replacement as with the dates and figs they’re fairly sweet. Feel free to mess around with the recipe just try and keep a similar ration of wet (fruit) to dry (nuts/seeds). You could switch Pecans for Almonds and use just nuts and no seeds. If you want to use them as energy bars whilst racing long distance you could add salt too.

Ingredients
    200g Dates (stoned) – 250g stoned from Lidl is ideal.
    100g Figs – Half a pack from Lidl
    50g Cranberries - Superquinn
    100g Pecan Nuts - Lidl
    75g Mixed Seeds - Superquin

Method

You will need a food processer, silicon loaf tin, spoon and a spatula.

Chop the dates, figs and cranberries and place into a food processor. Pulse until the texture becomes paste like (it usually forms into a ball).

Remove this mixture with the spatula and place into a bowl.

Add the nuts and seeds into the processor and pulse until they are finely chopped and add these into the bowl on top of the fruit paste.

You now need to use your hands and mix the nuts and seeds into the paste. Imagine it’s mála / play dough and keep pushing the dry mixture into it until you can lift it up and nothing is left in the bowl.

Now place the mixture in the loaf tin. Silicon prevents anything from sticking to the container. Press the mixture down tightly into the tin with the back of a spoon and the place in the fridge for 1 hour.

Remove the mixture from the tin and cut into 8 equal pieces. You can place the bars on greaseproof paper in Tupperware and place in the fridge. They will last for several days in the fridge like this without spoiling.

Nutritional Information (calculated from SparkRecipe.com recipe calculator) – Per Bar
    Calories 229.3, Total Fat 11.1g (1.1g Saturated, 3.8g Poly, 5.7 Mono), Cholesterol 0.0mg, Sodium 108mg, Potassium 303.4mg, Total Carbs 33.5g (Fiber 4.9g, Sugars 22.6g), Protein 3.1g

• Advertisement

Power bar energy bars are buy one get one half price in holland and barrett at the mo, i got 4 for 6 euro:)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

New energy bars;)
    217797_377070735698779_1840973928_n.jpg

Anywher ein Dublin city centre that sells energy jellies or beans ?

Advertisement