Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy bars

Options
  • 20-08-2012 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice re energy bars and the like for Lost Sheep. I can't find the old thread on it.

Any brands or flavours you'd go with ? I've used nutra grain in the past and they go well with me, i know they aren't that good but they stay down and are small to carrty as well.

I'll be using wine gums as well on the bike, no gels for me.

Energy drink and water on the bike as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Stick with what works for you, if it's nutrigrains and wine gums then thats it. KISS as they say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

d4r3n wrote: »
    Stick with what works for you, if it's nutrigrains and wine gums then thats it. KISS as they say :)

Great, just worried there isn't "enough" in the nutrigrains !

Great, just worried there isn't "enough" in the nutrigrains !

Work out your calorie requirements, divide by calories of nutigrain + wine gums, see if you can stomach that many :)

Work out your calorie requirements, divide by calories of nutigrain + wine gums, see if you can stomach that many :)

Slightly different for me as i'm diabetic and can't just shovel in too much sugar into my system. Put in too much and i'll end up falling asleep on the bike or run:o

I was thinking one out of the water, split between gums and bars every 30 min on the bike, bar off the bike and bring gums with me on the run.

Add energy drink on the bike and thats my strategy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

The nutrigrain might stay down but could be a bit slow to digest? The Powerbar ones are what I go with on longer rides

• Advertisement

RedB wrote: »
    The nutrigrain might stay down but could be a bit slow to digest? The Powerbar ones are what I go with on longer rides

Cheers,

Doing 2 long bricks in the next 10 days and want to test out some fuel !

I went out there on my break and got Powerbar Energize ( 1 banana and 1 vanilla ) i'll try them out on wen.

I think a mix of nutrigrain, powerbar and wine gums might be a good mix for me. I'll see how they go with my stomach but i'm normally ok, garlic is all my belly can't handle !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Research suggests ideal consumption to be 70-100g of carb's per hour .

So that's through a combination of drinks as well as bars/gels/etc.

I pretty much stuck with that plan bang on for my first half and it worked well - continued but dialled it back a bit for the run so maybe 70g per hour for run.

It may depend on intensity but to me it does sound like nutrigrains and wine gums with drink would not be sufficient and/or may be too hard to digest?

If you can have wine gums then why not gels or even the Powerbar Ride Shot Jellies? Surely similar sugars for each?

Either way, I'd err on the side of caution and look to bring too much for your first half it at all possible. A combination of the above may work.

I'm not sure on the dietary requirements of your diebetes though so understand this may be a hard one to call. I'm sure google may offer better assistance also from those who have been through the same thing.

Best of luck with it. It's a completely different ball game from an Olympic!
    But an enjoyable one of course!

Fazz wrote: »
    Research suggests ideal consumption to be 70-100g of carb's per hour .

So that's through a combination of drinks as well as bars/gels/etc.

I pretty much stuck with that plan bang on for my first half and it worked well - continued but dialled it back a bit for the run so maybe 70g per hour for run.

It may depend on intensity but to me it does sound like nutrigrains and wine gums with drink would not be sufficient and/or may be too hard to digest?

If you can have wine gums then why not gels or even the Powerbar Ride Shot Jellies? Surely similar sugars for each?

Either way, I'd err on the side of caution and look to bring too much for your first half it at all possible. A combination of the above may work.

I'm not sure on the dietary requirements of your diebetes though so understand this may be a hard one to call. I'm sure google may offer better assistance also from those who have been through the same thing.

Best of luck with it. It's a completely different ball game from an Olympic!
    But an enjoyable one of course!

Just can't stomach them, i hate taking them. the shot jellies might be worth a look !

I'm looking to just finish and not any crazy time do it will be a constant slow drain on my body !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just can't stomach them

Which ones? They all differ. I know I will vomit after one powerbar gel but could take high5 isogel all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

@elvis - there was a gel mentioned in another thread Agave #9 which is suited to diabetics which might be worth looking at. I've put an inquiry into the manufacturers for distributors in Ireland / UK but it might be something worth checking yourself.

http://www.agave9.com/en/

mloc123 wrote: »
    Which ones? They all differ. I know I will vomit after one powerbar gel but could take high5 isogel all day long.

High5 Energy Gel & Power bar are what i've used and thought they both tasted yuck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

High5 Energy Gel & Power bar are what i've used and thought they both tasted yuck:D

Kinetica are supposed to be fairly managable although pricey:

http://www.kineticasports.com/gels-c8

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Did you try the Power Bar vanilla flavour Elvis? I was at the end of my tether with gels - just couldn't hack the sickly sweet taste over the course of long events. Then I tried the vanilla and all changed. It's still sweet obviously - but unlike the others,it doesn't taste like you're eating Chivers jam.

Now I buy 'em by the box :p

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I was using High5 gels for ages and hated them. I thought that all gels were similar - they are not. Eventually tried something else - Isogels and the Kinetica gels are much nicer. Dont be afraid to experiment.

I like the High 5 powder, High 5 Isogels and the SIS energy bars. Cant stomach High 5 gels or any SIS powder / gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I would agree with most people and say try as many as you can until you find the one that suits. Ive tried the majority and find GU ones to be very good as well as the isotonic SIS ones. GU ones handier on the bike as they are a bit smaller so quicker to eat.

These are the only two that I didn't get stomach cramps from. For some reason as well, not sure if its linked though I don't suffer calf cramps half as much when I take these either, probably just a mental thing but work for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I use the Maximuscle ones and quite like them. I can't eat too many though as I feel bloated. If you're around in town this week I can give you a few to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

time for the idiot question so
    how can you work out roughly how many youd need for a race
    roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

woody1 wrote: »
    time for the idiot question so
    how can you work out roughly how many youd need for a race
    roughly

Work out your hourly carbohydrate requirements and multiply by your expected finishing time.

50-90 grams of carbs per hour are often recommended depending on who you read.

I've recently switched to the energy jellies, I've tried Powerbar and Stinger branded ones, I find these much easier to stomach than gels. I've used these in a HIM and Gaelforce recently and avoided the stomach cramps that usually last all day after a long, gel-fuelled, race.

I also had a small turkey sambo during Gaelforce which was mighty nice, I think it's good to get some bit of real food if you're gonna be out there a long time just to avoid getting sick of the sugary taste.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Work out your hourly carbohydrate requirements and multiply by your expected finishing time.

50-90 grams of carbs per hour are often recommended depending on who you read.

I've recently switched to the energy jellies, I've tried Powerbar and Stinger branded ones, I find these much easier to stomach than gels. I've used these in a HIM and Gaelforce recently and avoided the stomach cramps that usually last all day after a long, gel-fuelled, race.

I also had a small turkey sambo during Gaelforce which was mighty nice, I think it's good to get some bit of real food if you're gonna be out there a long time just to avoid getting sick of the sugary taste.

My end of race is normally chicken sambo with mayo and salt, carbs, protein and getting salt back in the system. It's also very neutral on the belly. I thought of it for coming off the bike but thought it might look silly !

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Don't worry about looking silly, do what will get you around. But do check you can run with that in your gut. Its surprising how your body will reject stuff when its under pressure.

I use maxifuel viperactive gels because I find them pretty gentle on my system. Powerbar wreck my tum within 20 minutes of taking them so are worse than useless. :)

I use the Maximuscle ones and quite like them. I can't eat too many though as I feel bloated. If you're around in town this week I can give you a few to try?

Meet you tomorrow or fri ?

doing another long brick next wen as well.

50 to 80 g of carbs per hour, ok so at the top level thats 2 energy bars an hr ?

I'd hope to mix them up with wine gums, i have to check the bag at home to check their levels.

I'm using two energy bars and wine gums on my brick today 80k bike and 10k run.

breakfast was porridge and i'll have museli at 1 on the train on my way home before i get out the door at 2:30.

2 bottles on the bike. 1 water and 1 energy drink. I'll also leave a water bottle at the half way point of the run.

At the Chrissie talk she mentioned 1 g per kg of bodyweight of carbs per hour (from drinks) plus 1 bite of a mars bar per hour on the bike, 1 g/kg sounds fairly reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

Don't get too hung up on the numbers, you need to find out what works for you.

At the Chrissie talk she mentioned 1 g per kg of bodyweight of carbs per hour (from drinks) plus 1 bite of a mars bar per hour on the bike, 1 g/kg sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Not when you weigh 98kg, i'll need a catering company following me:D

I needed an energy drink so i bought Maxifuel ViperActive. Anyone use it, only problem i have with any of the energy drink is how sweet they taste !

Not when you weigh 98kg, i'll need a catering company following me:D

Haha, unless you're 192 cm or up I'd suggest losing some weight.

Haha, unless you're 192 cm or up I'd suggest losing some weight.

I have i was 118kg.............it takes time;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I needed an energy drink so i bought Maxifuel ViperActive. Anyone use it, only problem i have with any of the energy drink is how sweet they taste !

Lucozade might be cheaper, I think it's something like €2 for a 4 x 500ml in Dunnes. Don't forget to include the carbs from your drink in your calculations.

I generally try to get the more solid stuff eaten early to midway through the bike to avoid a stitch on the run.

That sambo I mentioned earlier was eaten with about an hour remaining on the bike section of Gaelforce.

Advertisement