Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Readvertised due to complete timewaster"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i tend to just pass on to the next car if the tax NCT price and mileage arent mention. Tend to do the same if no photo too,.

my favourite is "tax just out..." so what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

corktina wrote: »

my favourite is "tax just out..." so what!

Or 'no NCT, but will fly through it!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

If someone paid a deposit then I'd NCT it for them if it had none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Capri wrote: »
    :eek:

I may be called a 'grumpy old B******' but I don't go too much out of my way for a sale - if they don't meet me half way, then FECK em !!!

:eek:

If I think someone's genuine I'll try to accommodate them. He had already looked over the car with a friend and had committed to buy. After this experience I may start asking for cash deposits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rock22

I had a fella agree to buy a car but had to wait until the next Monday to get paid. I took the ad down, turned away a better offer and arranged to drive the car to him on Monday only for his whole family to come out with torches (flashlights, not burning type :D) and walk around it asking silly questions and shaking their heads. Then was offered half the agreed price. I said sorry that's not what was agreed, you're within your right not to buy but no negotiation. They started asking how long I would stand over the car :o before I said its getting late, I'll readvertise it tomorrow, if you still want it you can pick it up from me any time tomorrow.

He called a few days later offering even less! Made me so angry!

Not sure how this could be called time wasting. Your potential buyer came not once but twice to view the car. He made an offer on it. And followed that up again by phone.

He is, what most people would call, a customer. If you could not agree on a pirce then so be it, but , considering the amount of time and effort invoved, he is certainly not a time waster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

rock22 wrote: »
    Not sure how this could be called time wasting. Your potential buyer came not once but twice to view the car. He made an offer on it. And followed that up again by phone.

He is, what most people would call, a customer. If you could not agree on a pirce then so be it, but , considering the amount of time and effort invoved, he is certainly not a time waster.

Are you the 'good customer'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think he must be! The Seller clearly says a price was agreed.

I don't take down an ad until the sale is complete, merely ad SOLD to it so I can re-activate the ad if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

rock22 wrote: »

He's what I would call a messer of the highest order. They DID agree on the price as they made a DEAL. The customer then went back on the deal, bit by bit.....trying to jemmy down the price.

Fasttalkerchat showed the customer some trust, he then found out the customer was a messer who wasted his time. Therefore he was a timewaster....

Had experiences years ago - 1 chap kept telling me he could buy a Trans Am cheaper in the UK, basically told him 'Go ahead' while quoting prices and time consumed , he caved in :D

Another chap kept calling but was continually being called out of the country on jobs - took 3 mths to complete the sale :eek:

Yet another chap was 'messing' , then a UK buyer flew over, cash in suitcase, sold it to him when 'messer' calls back - 'Sold' says I - stunned silence at other end of phone ! :D:D:D

Gone on a bit of a binge lately - bought 1 car 40mins after it appeared on DD,( seller was plagued with calls), 2nd one the day after it appeared (seller was cursed by another 'buyer' who was on his way from the west ), 3rd one bought next day, 4th one similar and 5th one the same. I knew what I was looking for :confused: , and it's sort of happened in reverse order. I NOW have the Classic I should have bought first before getting the other ones - basically, I thought each one was as good as I was going to find --- until the next (better?) one came up on DD. Now to start offloading 'surplus' stock - that'll be fun :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Capri, there is a buyer outhere for everything, it is just a question of finding them, bide your time, and enjoy off loading them in due course, just bear in mind there not " eating any grass". Try and have nothing wrong with the car, except the price. Goog Luck.

• Advertisement

mattroche wrote: »
    Capri, there is a buyer outhere for everything, it is just a question of finding them, bide your time, and enjoy off loading them in due course, just bear in mind there not " eating any grass". Try and have nothing wrong with the car, except the price. Goog Luck.

That's why I may end up in Cyprus !!! ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ajmboyce

I have been looking for a cheap run around recently I have looked at cars that they seemingly had "no dents or bad marks on them "and they didnt seem to in the pics advertised I put this down to good cameras but when asked has the car got any marks or dents surely they should describe the car as accurately as they can. Anyway this leads me on to last saturday when I took myself to just outside strokestown to view an nissan almera that looked very good in pics and according to seller had no dents or marks described via phone may I add upon arriving to see car I noticed it wasnt as clean as described on the outside but upon looking inside the car something didnt seem right about the interior as I thought it seemed different from the pics advertised but I have looked at a good few cars lately and was beginning to doubt myself however on walking around the car I asked the bucko selling the car where the towbar went and then he admitted to me that he had copied a picture of a similar car from the internet obviously and used that to advertise his car as he said he had no camera even though there was a nice looking IPhone type sitting in his paw at time of asking. I reported it to donedeal but I doubt much will be done. I ask how is one meant to deal with that ????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ah yes, alot of the time people dont know how to advertise a car.

I brought a mate of mine to look at a car last week, advertised as "mint" and "not a mark on this car" a "great example".
    Pulled up beside the car and it was obvious it was crashed on the passenger side and badly repaired. Had a quick look around and the amount of problems with the body work was shocking. That was the theme for the next few cars we went to look at. Why cant people just be honest about it like.

Id personally call them f**king chancers after wasting more time and money on petrol recently and ive looked at quite a few cars surely when the person you are talking to on phone describes it different to what it actually is. Does the fools that do this not know in their stupid little heads that upon the person actually seeing the car that they will realise it is as not as described!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

ajmboyce wrote: »
    Id personally call them f**king chancers after wasting more time and money on petrol recently and ive looked at quite a few cars surely when the person you are talking to on phone describes it different to what it actually is. Does the fools that do this not know in their stupid little heads that upon the person actually seeing the car that they will realise it is as not as described!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they'll probably readvertise it next week and refer to all the time wasters who are the reason it's not sold , if it happens to me again I'll be posting a link to the add here and telling the difference between what was advertised and what was reality.

I was going to do that but add gone of donedeal now.

I was going to do that but add gone of donedeal now.

Watch that space ;)

I have been looking for a cheap run around recently I have looked at cars that they seemingly had "no dents or bad marks on them "and they didnt seem to in the pics advertised I put this down to good cameras but when asked has the car got any marks or dents surely they should describe the car as accurately as they can. Anyway this leads me on to last saturday when I took myself to just outside strokestown to view an nissan almera that looked very good in pics and according to seller had no dents or marks described via phone may I add upon arriving to see car I noticed it wasnt as clean as described on the outside but upon looking inside the car something didnt seem right about the interior as I thought it seemed different from the pics advertised but I have looked at a good few cars lately and was beginning to doubt myself however on walking around the car I asked the bucko selling the car where the towbar went and then he admitted to me that he had copied a picture of a similar car from the internet obviously and used that to advertise his car as he said he had no camera even though there was a nice looking IPhone type sitting in his paw at time of asking. I reported it to donedeal but I doubt much will be done. I ask how is one meant to deal with that ????

I advertised two cars that I own, my mother's car that she barely used 97 Lancer with only 60k, and a Polo I'd intended using (but bought a Dyane instead) , the Polo had a worn d/s carpet at clutch from city driving, and scratched glass from a W***er vandal. Did the t/belt+w/pump on it so there'll be no complaints there, but I don't entertain 'foreigners' (who'll want to sell them on again) - I just put higher prices to discourage them and I'll discount for what I feel is a 'genuine' buyer who's buying it for themselves.
    Best way of dealing with any purchase is ask the seller how long THEY'VE owned the car and WHY they're selling it - seat of the pants stuff ;)

"Best way of dealing with any purchase is ask the seller how long THEY'VE owned the car and WHY they're selling it"

I do..... the answer from the individual with the almera was he had it a year and he was selling it as his father died and he got his fathers car, hard to argue with that ha ha and I applaud you not selling cars to the foreign sect all they do is put an inch of wax on them and try to flog them on for mule money dear bloomin wax.

"Best way of dealing with any purchase is ask the seller how long THEY'VE owned the car and WHY they're selling it"

I do..... the answer from the individual with the almera was he had it a year and he was selling it as his father died and he got his fathers car, hard to argue with that ha ha and I applaud you not selling cars to the foreign sect all they do is put an inch of wax on them and try to flog them on for mule money dear bloomin wax.

Might even start putting ads in in the cúpla focal :confused::confused::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

What's wrong with someone buying a car making a few quid?

If the seller is happy with the price they receive and the buyer pays in cash without any bollox acting, Goes away wash/polish and hoovers it. Does a proper ad nice photos and sells it again and makes a few pound. What harm? :confused:

If the seller is happy with the price they receive and the buyer pays in cash without any bollox acting, Goes away wash/polish and hoovers it. Does a proper ad nice photos and sells it again and makes a few pound. What harm? :confused:

To go back to the original title of this thread - we've been commenting on sellers who don't admit to being a 'dealer' ( someone who does a quick turnaround on a car for a few bob ), then moan when the potential buyer cops on to the car being 'not as described in the ad' and (wisely?)walks away :D

A case in point - there's an Ascona on DD, to me it looks like a LHD to RHD conversion ( at build stage the wiring / scuttle / etc are basically different, this 'conversion' hasn't changed the scuttle so we must assume the wiring / steering etc is guntered to fit - a safe car to be driving ? ), don't know what it was bought for (400 would be my guess) , but if you paid 4k for it and discovered all the guntering then you'd be mighty pissed off ??? :eek::mad::mad:

If someone on the other hand buys a car cheaply, does the t/belt and gives it a service and a polish, that's 'adding value' to it and if they get a few quid extra for doing that then I, for one, don't begrudge them it - but the 'quick buck' merchants who add a few k for giving it a wash - they're the ***** who deserve to lose big time ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

but I don't entertain 'foreigners' (who'll want to sell them on again) - I just put higher prices to discourage them and I'll discount for what I feel is a 'genuine' buyer who's buying it for themselves.
    and I applaud you not selling cars to the foreign sect all they do is put an inch of wax on them and try to flog them on for mule money dear bloomin wax.
    Might even start putting ads in in the cúpla focal :confused::confused::D
    Just say that you're xenophobes in your ads lads, it'd save everyone some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

To go back to the original title of this thread - we've been commenting on sellers who don't admit to being a 'dealer' ( someone who does a quick turnaround on a car for a few bob ), then moan when the potential buyer cops on to the car being 'not as described in the ad' and (wisely?)walks away :D

A case in point - there's an Ascona on DD, to me it looks like a LHD to RHD conversion ( at build stage the wiring / scuttle / etc are basically different, this 'conversion' hasn't changed the scuttle so we must assume the wiring / steering etc is guntered to fit - a safe car to be driving ? ), don't know what it was bought for (400 would be my guess) , but if you paid 4k for it and discovered all the guntering then you'd be mighty pissed off ??? :eek::mad::mad:

If someone on the other hand buys a car cheaply, does the t/belt and gives it a service and a polish, that's 'adding value' to it and if they get a few quid extra for doing that then I, for one, don't begrudge them it - but the 'quick buck' merchants who add a few k for giving it a wash - they're the ***** who deserve to lose big time ??

Ah sorry, misunderstood. :)
    Yeah, butchering cars or slipping €50 to get through a test is retarded. I know of a 02 Almera that the owner borrowed 2 tyres for the NCT and them put back on the bald ones to sell it afterwards :eek:

Lot of cowboys out their!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Ah sorry, misunderstood. :)
    Yeah, butchering cars or slipping €50 to get through a test is retarded. I know of a 02 Almera that the owner borrowed 2 tyres for the NCT and them put back on the bald ones to sell it afterwards :eek:

Lot of cowboys out their!

The tyre trick is a regular occurrence with some motor dealers and some taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I was seriously thinking of setting up a premium phone line and advertise it on Donedeal along the lines of.............. Attention Classic car enthusiasts, are you tired of being called a time waster and having the phone line hung up on you? Why not call our premium line number now from the comfort of your own home and spend hours bull****ting how your uncles wifes brother in law has an Aston Martin sitting in a shed in Ballygobackward or how you singlehandedly rebuilt a Ferrari 250GTO using a Swiss army knife a a pot of red Valspar paint! Or are just waiting for the funds to clear on your winning Lotto cheque. For only E2.50 A minute you can talk ****e for as long as you like to an interested, gullible phone operator. You'll be glad you did...........:) Terms and conditions apply.

I had an advertiser get arsey with me yesterday evening because I asked for hi-res pics and more detailed information on the car. His reply was that everything was in the DD ad already. He's just wasting his own time, and can't blame the advert responders.

Too bad, I was really keen on it too... and he could easily have sold it to me with a little effort.

I had an advertiser get arsey with me yesterday evening because I asked for hi-res pics and more detailed information on the car. His reply was that everything was in the DD ad already. He's just wasting his own time, and can't blame the advert responders.

Too bad, I was really keen on it too... and he could easily have sold it to me with a little effort.

That's what it's all about, just being nice and patient with potential customers - you gonna bite the hand of a man giving you 4(?)k :eek:

That's what it's all about, just being nice and patient with potential customers - you gonna bite the hand of a man giving you 4(?)k :eek:

I can understand his frustration with the daft swap offers and 'what's your lowest price' calls (often without even asking about the car) but sellers should be able to see when a genuine enquiry presents itself. I was asking legitimate questions, but feel I can't go any further now as he made it clear he didn't want to be put through the hassle of responding.

• Advertisement

I can understand his frustration with the daft swap offers and 'what's your lowest price' calls (often without even asking about the car) but sellers should be able to see when a genuine enquiry presents itself. I was asking legitimate questions, but feel I can't go any further now as he made it clear he didn't want to be put through the hassle of responding.

you can just get a 'feeling' about some sellers - those I've dealt with lately have been Irish and up front :D

Advertisement