Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Readvertised due to complete timewaster"

Options
  • 19-08-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

"Readvertised due to complete timewaster" .

How many adverts in done deal start off with this phrase. Most of the adverts I've seen that start with this are for classic cars. Now I've gone to look at a few classics in my time and the only timewasters involved were the guy selling the cars and they were wasting my time.

The main problem is they don't understand the meaning of the words ; original ,mint , time warp, tidy or showroom condition.

The car you speak about over the phone bears little resemblance to the polished turd you are presented with when you arrive to view.

As annoying at the wasted time and expence of going to view such a car on false pretences is you have got to go through this until you turn up the gem you've been looking for . Fair enough.

What is very very annoying though is when you see the car advertised again the next week and the advert begins with "Readvertised due to complete timewaster" .

How about a thread ,where potential buyers who have had their time wasted , can give details of what they viewed and why their time was wasted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

That's not always the case though, i've met plenty of time wasters in my time too who decide that the car i'm selling is worth quarter of what i'm asking for it. The w@nkers who text are the worst type of time waster along with the guys who make a family outing of the trip to look at your car, spend the time cutting the car to shreds, talking ****e and then making stupid offers, i've met them all and believe me there are loads of time wasters out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That's not always the case though, i've met plenty of time wasters in my time too who decide that the car i'm selling is worth quarter of what i'm asking for it. The w@nkers who text are the worst type of time waster along with the guys who make a family outing of the trip to look at your car, spend the time cutting the car to shreds, talking ****e and then making stupid offers, i've met them all and believe me there are loads of time wasters out there!!
    There sure are but for every time waister there is at least 10 scumbags trying to sell a **** heap under false pretences!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Agreed not always the case , but the type of timewasters you are talking about aren't the reason you would have to readvertise a car , they are people who viewed but didn't buy .

If the car isn't sold due to a complete timewaster then that would imply the seller turned away lots of potential buyers because they believed someone else had agreed to buy the car at a price he was happy with.
    Now I don't think anybody should turn away potential buyers until either they have a sizeable deposit in their hand or completed a cash sale. So to say the car isn't sold due to a timewaster is not true . It's not sold because no one willing to buy it viewed it or the seller was silly enough to turn away interested parties and take a strangers word that they were definitly buying the car without getting any cash.

When i'm selling a car the prospective buyer can call to ask details, if they're not bothered to call then they aren't bothered about buying imo.Texting is what people do when they are bored or chancing their arm.

In this day and age some people are making stupid offers for decent cars it has to be said, there might be a recession for some but not for everyone.

In this day and age some people are making stupid offers for decent cars it has to be said, there might be a recession for some but not for everyone.

I guess the people making the stupid offers are hoping the seller is feeling the recession and under pressure to sell. They're hoping to turn the cars for a profit and can afford to wait for a buyer. Similar to these adverts that say "we'll buy you car for cash today" , what they don't say is they'll give you cash but well below market value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Rules of engagement - :eek:

1) Has the seller put up clear, descriptive ad with at least 5 GOOD photos ?

2) Is he honest to all callers ?

3) Does the viewer show at the appointed time ?

4) If the viewer is genuinely interested does he put a 20% with a completion date/time ?

5) Does seller keep phone numbers of other callers until sale is finalised ?

I bought 2 yolks last week. I phoned, showed, paid deposit, and finalised payment on delivery.
    If I'm selling I'll put photos and honest description on ad, if callers want to view I'll meet them in local village (so that strangers don't get the lie of my house etc ) and if sale is done I'll post logbook in front of their eyes. DONE DEAL !

Best ad of the week - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3782341 :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Capri wrote: »
    Rules of engagement - :eek:

1) Has the seller put up clear, descriptive ad with at least 5 GOOD photos ?

2) Is he honest to all callers ?

3) Does the viewer show at the appointed time ?

4) If the viewer is genuinely interested does he put a 20% with a completion date/time ?

5) Does seller keep phone numbers of other callers until sale is finalised ?

I bought 2 yolks last week. I phoned, showed, paid deposit, and finalised payment on delivery.
    If I'm selling I'll put photos and honest description on ad, if callers want to view I'll meet them in local village (so that strangers don't get the lie of my house etc ) and if sale is done I'll post logbook in front of their eyes. DONE DEAL !

Best ad of the week - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3782341 :):)

This is ad of the week.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3784278

That was a waste of 5 euros!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Putting the frustrations of selling in an advertisment is not good business. The public should never be aware of the sometimes annoying difficulties that arise when selling goods in a market with difficult money supply problems and a shady reputation for maintaining and presenting secondhand mechanical goods.....lets face it, Ireland is not renowned for the quality of the maintenance of its cars or its attention to detail, unlike the Germans or the Swiss.....

I avoid users of such phrases as "timewasters" or "only genuine callers need apply" etc like the plague, or users of such words as "punter" etc which demean a potential customer.

I am not in sales myself, nor would I want to go into it but I would expect people engaged in sales to be more diplomatic and tactful with customers than to lay out their frustrations in public.

For my part I try and make an honest and timely DECISION on any purchase I might be thinking of making, some people cannot do this so they beat around the bush and frustrate salespeople.

That was a waste of 5 euros!!:rolleyes:

Well here is another who likes the minimalist type of advert

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3784912

put up 2hrs after the MK 3 Zodiac ad.

• Advertisement

Who's selling them? MI5?:D

Who's selling them? MI5?:D

Whoever it is obviously they believe it's a sellers market.:eek:

Wouldn't mind having a look at the 124 sports, lovely little yoke, like a baby Ferrari,:cool:.

ANOTHER 'timewaster' - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3783927

Is there a new trend - 'Minimalist advertisers' who leave you guessing, then call you a 'timewaster' when you phone only to fill in what the advertiser hasn't ???

Maybe DD should introduce a template for ads, fill in correctly and your ad appears - leave out vital info and your ad doesn't appear ?? :P

Is there a new trend - 'Minimalist advertisers' who leave you guessing, then call you a 'timewaster' when you phone only to fill in what the advertiser hasn't ???

Maybe DD should introduce a template for ads, fill in correctly and your ad appears - leave out vital info and your ad doesn't appear ?? :P

And loose 5 euros? I don't thinks so!! You could put your Granny up for sale there and they wouldn't care less!!:)

I was thinking that too but then I thought DD couldn't care less what you say as long as they get the €5 and you don't offend anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

€3 for vintage/classic cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

When I advertise a car, I always say, no timewasrers, private No. or TXT. On a few occasions, people have called me, and asked if they could come and look at what I have, but they are not buing right now. I tell them they are welcome anytime, but call first. I have met some really nice interesting people, perhaps they may come back some day to buy, who knows. Yesterday I had a very nice man up from Cobh, to buy a car, and pay me there and then, and drive it away, but I was not happy with the brakes, so I would not let him drive it home. Hopefully we will be able to deal again in the future. I think it is very important to give an honest discription of the car, after all, they will see it a tissue of lies if you dont, and straight away, the trust is gone. To me a car is sold when you have the money in your hand, and not before, take a deposit by all means, and agree a day when the sale will be complete. By and large, I have had only nice experiences with people, and definitely no A... H....!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

And whats the aversion to using ebay.ie?
    There are 7 Irish classic cars on ebay.ie and there are 3453 Uk classic cars on ebay.co.uk, maybe we just love the whole bulls**t thing in Ireland, I know I can do without it.

hi5 wrote: »
    There are 7 Irish classic cars on ebay.ie and there are 3453 Uk classic cars on ebay.co.uk, maybe we just love the whole bulls**t thing in Ireland, I know I can do without it.

I can't find any classic car for sale on ebay.ie , just 7 cars in total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Bought my car on egayuk without seeing it.......no problems at all, it was exactly as described...its a trust thing..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

Sids Not wrote: »
    Bought my car on egayuk without seeing it.......no problems at all, it was exactly as described...its a trust thing..;)

Agreed, plus there is the reputational thing with the ratings of each transaction. i think ebay is a great way of keeping everyone honest. people with a low, or zero feedback rating are usually dismissed from my auctions.. especially if its something of any real value.. when buying anything more than a few quid, I always check the ratings to make sure they're legit too.

plus there is some recourse if the purchase doesnt go smoothly (non payers, non delivery, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

bbsrs wrote: »
    "Readvertised due to complete timewaster" .

How many adverts in done deal start off with this phrase. Most of the adverts I've seen that start with this are for classic cars. Now I've gone to look at a few classics in my time and the only timewasters involved were the guy selling the cars and they were wasting my time.

The main problem is they don't understand the meaning of the words ; original ,mint , time warp, tidy or showroom condition.

The car you speak about over the phone bears little resemblance to the polished turd you are presented with when you arrive to view.

As annoying at the wasted time and expence of going to view such a car on false pretences is you have got to go through this until you turn up the gem you've been looking for . Fair enough.

What is very very annoying though is when you see the car advertised again the next week and the advert begins with "Readvertised due to complete timewaster" .

How about a thread ,where potential buyers who have had their time wasted , can give details of what they viewed and why their time was wasted.

couldn't agree more when i say " its costing me 20-30 quid their and back in juice, please tell me if she has anything wrong... dont leave anything out or i can't promise that ill pay the asking, purely on the basis that im buying on its worth, not the markets.. no likey; no worrys good luck with sale "

you'd be surprised how many just either hang up then or ring me back in a week or so to see if im still interested and will meet me half way etc and deffo will work on the price. :pac:

mattroche wrote: »
    When I advertise a car, I always say, no timewasrers, private No. or TXT. On a few occasions, people have called me, and asked if they could come and look at what I have, but they are not buing right now. I tell them they are welcome anytime, but call first. I have met some really nice interesting people, perhaps they may come back some day to buy, who knows. Yesterday I had a very nice man up from Cobh, to buy a car, and pay me there and then, and drive it away, but I was not happy with the brakes, so I would not let him drive it home. Hopefully we will be able to deal again in the future. I think it is very important to give an honest discription of the car, after all, they will see it a tissue of lies if you dont, and straight away, the trust is gone. To me a car is sold when you have the money in your hand, and not before, take a deposit by all means, and agree a day when the sale will be complete. By and large, I have had only nice experiences with people, and definitely no A... H....!! :D:D

Takes 2 to tango Matt, never had any bad experiences either way myself. Just be honest, tactful and diplomatic - if you've an interest then nobody can fault you for taking the time out to look at their car :eek:

There are 7 Irish classic cars on ebay.ie and there are 3453 Uk classic cars on ebay.co.uk, maybe we just love the whole bulls**t thing in Ireland, I know I can do without it

'Tried ebay, doesn't seem to be all it's cracked up to be - someone told me there's a 'system' in there and if you don't understand it then nothing will happen ???

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Buying on E Bay (Uk) is bit of a nightmare until you get into the swing of it. While must English Men/Women are 1st class to deal with, there are a lot of U.K. residences who I find dodgy. Whenever I look at a car, I always check the sellers profile. I usually send them a E. Mail and ask them to call me, as I am interested in buying their car. I assume they also check my profile, but they normally get in touch. I have been blown out at a lot of auctions, now I find, put in maximum that your are prepared to pay about 10 seconds before bidding ends, you only pay what the higest bid is + £10 or £20 or £50, as the case may be. There is the odd bargain out there, but a lot of bidder are just timewasters, and have no intention of completing the deal, and they are usually not English. Always bear in mind, you win some and you lose some, just move on.

Went to look at another yolk today, about 20mins drive from my place, luckily !
    It was VERY rusty but it was basically workable on, depending on my time available. He had other stuff there in a worse state but it was salvagable depending on your expertise / time available.
    I'll try to sell 2 other cars to get the bobs but if I can't I'll ask him if he's interested in a deal with them and I told him as much so nobody's fooling anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I had a fella agree to buy a car but had to wait until the next Monday to get paid. I took the ad down, turned away a better offer and arranged to drive the car to him on Monday only for his whole family to come out with torches (flashlights, not burning type :D) and walk around it asking silly questions and shaking their heads. Then was offered half the agreed price. I said sorry that's not what was agreed, you're within your right not to buy but no negotiation. They started asking how long I would stand over the car :o before I said its getting late, I'll readvertise it tomorrow, if you still want it you can pick it up from me any time tomorrow.

He called a few days later offering even less! Made me so angry!

:eek:
    I had a fella agree to buy a car but had to wait until the next Monday to get paid. I took the ad down, turned away a better offer and arranged to drive the car to him on Monday only for his whole family to come out with torches (flashlights, not burning type :D) and walk around it asking silly questions and shaking their heads. Then was offered half the agreed price. I said sorry that's not what was agreed, you're within your right not to buy but no negotiation. They started asking how long I would stand over the car :o before I said its getting late, I'll readvertise it tomorrow, if you still want it you can pick it up from me any time tomorrow.

He called a few days later offering even less! Made me so angry!

I may be called a 'grumpy old B******' but I don't go too much out of my way for a sale - if they don't meet me half way, then FECK em !!!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

I have used E Bay on many occasion and only ever had one 'incident'. If I want a car I decide a price and use Auction Sniper which shoots at 2 secs before the end. If I loose then thats fine, there are others out there. I once won a W124 that I wanted so badly, so really badly I sniped a bid in for about five times its value but won it with a reasonable figure!

Advertisement