Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Well that was a pleasant surprise. Couldnt sleep last night as I'm down with Laryngitis so stayed up for the game. Lads, it was utterly surreal. Everything Las Vegas did turned to gold. At one stage I was almost pinching myself. It was just one week, and yeah I know, next week we will get back to the team we actually are....but last night, we looked............good? 🤣

Just reading X this morning and the amount of Raiders fans that have gone from "Fire AP, he just isnt good enough" to "Guy has the job, its in the bag" is incredible. Such is the fickle life of the Sports fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

Just catching up with the highlights - it's like everything just clicked in the one game! Mind you, the Chargers defense is awful outside of Khalil Mack but it was great to see our defense contribute with some points. It's just a bit of a shame that this didn't happen earlier in the season but great to see that the team is still competing, especially after last week's debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

totally true. It’s a really “what have you down for me lately” response. It’s a good confidence boost for our offense - but still a long way to go to show we can be effective against a good defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭eire4

Well that is wild just days after putting up exactly zero points the Raiders put up 63. Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement

Who needs offense when you have defense to score for you!

Well season is over and I think an 8 win season is a qualified success - I did not expect McDaniels to get the sack but given the turmoil to come back out and finish the season 5-4 with an interim HC was a good run. The level of play from the defense gives positive vibes for next year - Jack Jones was a real find during the season.

I think Antonio Pierce has done enough to warrant the Head coach job - he will grow into it and the players are playing for him which is massively underrated consideration.

I think thats fair. I was expecting something between 4-6 wins and another miserable season so 8 wins albeit still a losing season at 8-9 is better then expected. The performance of the defense after getting torched for years was the main highlight. But boy was the offense dreadful at times and consistently struggled. The trade of Carr for Garoppolo was a bust. That was the key mistake IMHO on the offense. I understand and get the feeling that it was time to move on from Carr but they clearly made the wrong choice and for me sorting out the QB spot is by far the key to being able to build on a season that showed some real progress albeit not enough to make the playoffs.

Given the way the season was headed under McDaniels, the way we finished was definitely a positive. For the first time in a long time we held our own against the Divisional teams. Back to back wins against the Chiefs and Chargers was a highlight. As you guys have already said, a weakness (Defense) has now become a strength and that is great to see.

McDaniels got it completely wrong with the QB room. O'Connell is a find but he has had some growing pains, as all rookies do. Is he the answer, probably not but I do like him.

But again, here we are, another season ends, another coaching AND GM search starts. I wish we could get away from looking for the biggest name to coach us and also tying the GM post to the HC job. They should be independent of each other. I'm wary of Harbaugh getting the job. Is he going to be another Gruden, wanting total control? I hope Pearce and Kelly get the posts full-time, I think they have done enough to warrant a full off-season and season under their tutelage.

Agreed - I would like to see the GM and interim HC be made permanent - I don't think that Mark Davis has the financial backing to bring in Harbaugh whilst still being on the hook for Gruden and McDaniel's Salaries.

QB remains a real position of need for us and unfortunately with the run we put in at the end of the season we have dropped in draft order below a lot of teams in the same boat so will likely be either a growing year for Aidan O'Connell or a stop gap free agent signing next year. Kirk Cousins is the only QB of note coming available and I expect Minnesota to lock him down after they saw what happened when he went down this year.

• Advertisement

There's a lot of traffic connecting Justin Fields with the Franchise......

It really depends on what changes we are making to the offense. Not sold on him as a passer but he has a lot of skills running the ball and if they keep Davante Adams/Jakobi Myers then he will have high quality weapons. Chicago has been a black hole for QBs since forever so jury I think is still out on him. The big question is what would we have to give up to get him?

It likely is very doable. The Bears have the number 1 pick from Arizona and the 6 pick already so they likely will go with a QB with one of those picks given the high quality options at the position in the draft so they will be looking to off load Fields. Looks like the Raiders could get him with a couple of picks 1 third and 1 second round which would be worth it IMHO.

I don't think Fields is worth it really, better off trying to develop O'Connell and drafting another QB. Outside of a QB, the Raiders really need to strengthen the OLine, it's been a weakness for a few years now although showed a bit of improvement in the last few games. I see the Titans have requested an interview with Pierce as HC in Tennessee, seems to be a demand for him out there.

There was a segment on NFL.com about why Pierce might not appeal to other teams because the reporter talked about him being "Too Raiders" for other teams to look at. I'm not surprised the Titans are checking him out.

Firstly while technically the Raiders are in the market for a new coach IMHO Pierce has done enough to earn a crack at been given the job officially. Beyond that while O'Connell showed some flashes and obviously he is young and this was his rookie season I do not see him having the skill set to become the franchise QB the Raiders need. No question there are other areas the team has needs in with the O line been one yes. But QB is by far IMHO the biggest need and IMHO Fields would be a good fit at the right price which is very doable given the Bears are very likely to go in a new direction at QB in the draft given they have the first and 6th picks.

Yep, O'Connell is not a franchise QB but will improve and will be a very strong back-up at the very least and could start while the Raiders develop their draft choice, if the go that way. I don't see Fields as a franchise QB either, he doesn't see plays develop and misses too many throws. While Fields can move, he's actually too quick to set off on a run rather than let a play develop. If the Raiders don't trade up for a QB, they might be better off taking an OLine player at 13 and drafting a QB in the second round.

I can totally see where you coming from and its clearly not an obvious black and white. Just for me the far and away biggest need is a franchise QB and I really do believe that Fields can be that. Time will tell. I do hope though that Pierce is given the head coaches job soon as I feel he deserves the chance.

Yep, and I've no problem with taking a swing with Fields once we don't give up too much draft capital. That would allow us to strengthen both the OLine and DLine and add a bit of depth to the roster. AP has improved the players since taking over and should get the job now.

If the cost for getting Fields is 2nd or 3rd round picks then I wouldnt have a problem trading for him. And prefer to trade for him than sell the farm to trade up into the top 3. No College Graduate is a sure thing and the amount of hype this QB class is generating is unreal. Perhaps it will be a class that we will talk about in 20 years (class of 83, anyone???) but is the cost of trading up worth it? Look at Carolina and the mess they are in to get Bryce Young. Chicago is laughing all the way to the draft. I really would not like that to happen for us. We always draft poorly, especially on supposed "Home Run" picks.

• Advertisement

I am with you there. A second and a third round pick seems like a good price for the Raiders to trade for Fields and that leaves the 13 pick to use on other areas of need such as the O line.

Totally agree Pierce should be given the job now. He has earned it and deserves the shot.

Apparently X reporting tonight that most of the Raiders GM interviews have taken place. Announcement is expected soon, perhaps this week

https://twitter.com/VinnyBonsignore/status/1746591246959956078

Falcons are the latest team looking to interview Pierce and Raiders have concluded all the interviews for GM.

So the Raiders interviewed Kris Richard last night. The second candidate of Colour not belonging to the Organisation. This means that the Raiders have now satisfied the Rooney rule. There is some buzz that the appointment of AP is imminent because they have no further requirements to satsify. It certainly seems that the Harbaugh to Las Vegas rumours are not gaining traction, in fact there is talk of him staying at Michigan. I'll be happy if Champ Kelly becomes GM and AP is installed as Head Coach. He might not be a "name" but he performed far better than JMcD. I dont think McDaniels will ever get a shot at a Head Coach job again. But he is now the past. Might even be an announcement today or this week.

I agree - right now we need some stability and also a Coach the players want to play for. Maxx Crosby and Davante Adams are pretty vocal on keeping AP and it would be a change for the better if we can get them on side this offseason rather than causing more friction.

AP signed as HC - this is good news!

Top work Mark Davis, let's go Raiders!

Good news indeed. He deserves the shot full time. Plus now maybe the likes of Crosby and Adams decide to stay. Now for me the number one focus is on getting the QB situation right after the disaster that was the trade for Garoppolo last off season. Get the QB right and this team has shown it can be a decent playoff level team.

• Advertisement

So the rumour mill is in full flow.....Wilson to LV on a Minimum Contract, Fields to LV for a number of picks....LV trading up....... God I love the Offseason!!🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement