Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

golfball37 wrote: »
    Agree 100%. We were always playing for second in this division with the chiefs in it, as would 28 other ball clubs. With an extra wc spot we are in a good position. I certainly would have taken it ten weeks ago
    It would appear that there is a consensus amongst us! I'm really happy with our position at the moment. Progress is in our own hands, if we dont take it we have no-one to blame but ourselves. Its a strange season (look at the NFC East!!!) but we need to take advantage of it. I'm still not at the stage where I can look at a match without the fear of a collapse but psychologically I'm getting there!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Kev8360

It would appear that there is a consensus amongst us! I'm really happy with our position at the moment. Progress is in our own hands, if we dont take it we have no-one to blame but ourselves. Its a strange season (look at the NFC East!!!) but we need to take advantage of it. I'm still not at the stage where I can look at a match without the fear of a collapse but psychologically I'm getting there!!! :)

Yep even last week I was looking at the Broncos Drive before halftime through my fingers. Nearly fell off the chair when we got the int in the endzone :D

Only got to see the highlights of the game but from what I saw we were very competitive and in it right to the end which Is great to see given all the defensive disruption during the week with guys on COVID restrictions.

Next week is a big game against Atlanta - really need to get a win there to set us up for a strong finish to the season and let’s see where we end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,665 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are a good draft away from being very serious contenders I think.
    Carr getting better all the time.
    I loved the audibles last night. Purple Walrus was awesome :D
    James Harden, Google and Mamba Georgia are the ones I remember.

Watched the highlights last night. A few observations:

1. Offensively we matched the Chiefs and there is no "Carr Controversy". That ship has well sailed. In addition, The receiving corps are well able to move the chains. I'd like to see Ruggs and Edwards getting involved more but I'm loving how Aghlohor and Renfrow are playing. And Carr trusts them.
    2. Waller is a beast. No other way to describe him.

3. Eagle eye made the comment about being a good draft away from being very serious contenders. Well that draft is really going to have to concentrate on Defense again. The amount of times the Chiefs were 2nd and 1! They seemed to gain yardage at will. Now I know that it was the Chiefs, but the games are not going to get easier and we will have to face teams like Miami and Pittsburgh. Our Defensive side of the ball will need to step up big time.
    4. Its great being relevant again!!!

• Advertisement

1. Offensively we matched the Chiefs and there is no "Carr Controversy". That ship has well sailed. In addition, The receiving corps are well able to move the chains. I'd like to see Ruggs and Edwards getting involved more but I'm loving how Aghlohor and Renfrow are playing. And Carr trusts them.

3. Eagle eye made the comment about being a good draft away from being very serious contenders. Well that draft is really going to have to concentrate on Defense again. The amount of times the Chiefs were 2nd and 1! They seemed to gain yardage at will. Now I know that it was the Chiefs, but the games are not going to get easier and we will have to face teams like Miami and Pittsburgh. Our Defensive side of the ball will need to step up big time.

100% agreed on the defense draft needs - we don't generate anywhere near enough pressure on the QB on a consistent basis to threaten the best teams in the conference. We are improving but it will take some exceptional talent to take us to the next level and we will be likely drafting in the middle of the round which makes it that much harder.

With that said.... going into December with a fighting chance at the playoffs is a good place to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

The only way the Raiders will be playing the Steelers this season is in the playoffs so I certainly hope you prove to be right and the Raiders end up playing the Steelers at some point this season as that will mean its in the playoffs.

eire4 wrote: »
    The only way the Raiders will be playing the Steelers this season is in the playoffs so I certainly hope you prove to be right and the Raiders end up playing the Steelers at some point this season as that will mean its in the playoffs.
    eire4, my bad! I dont know why I thought we had Pittsburgh on the schedule!!

eire4, my bad! I dont know why I thought we had Pittsburgh on the schedule!!

No worries. Lets hope though that was merely some clairvoyance on your part and the Raiders do end up playing Pittsburgh this season given that means it will be a playoff game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭golfball37

More typical Raiders tonight. Two scores down to Atlanta at HT.

• Advertisement

Well that was a disaster - time to burn the tape on that game and move on

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Well that was a disaster - time to burn the tape on that game and move on
    I've blanked it from my mind.......Well it wouldnt be our team if they didnt have one or two meltdown games in each season.

I've blanked it from my mind.......Well it wouldnt be our team if they didnt have one or two meltdown games in each season.

Yes lets just hope that fiasco was an aberration. At least its the Jets next up.

I was dumbfounded looking at that last night. How a team can go from the performance against the Chiefs to that is unexplainable.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was dumbfounded looking at that last night. How a team can go from the performance against the Chiefs to that is unexplainable.
    Welcome to life as a Raiders fan, eagle eye!!:D

Welcome to life as a Raiders fan, eagle eye!!:D

I still remember the 2010 season when we won all our division games and still lost out on a playoff spot going 8-8 and finishing 3rd in the division!

If you didn’t laugh you’d cry.

Welcome to life as a Raiders fan, eagle eye!!
    I'm a Patriots fan. I've always liked the Raiders though and I like Derek Carr a lot.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm a Patriots fan. I've always liked the Raiders though and I like Derek Carr a lot.

Your franchise history could have been so much different for a certain decision against the Raiders many moons ago. The two teams will always have that sliding doors moment to share

Embarrassing stuff this evening. Good bye play offs.

OMFG !!!! Rugggsssss

• Advertisement

OMFG !!!! Rugggsssss

After last weeks disaster a win is a win but lets get real that was hardly anything to get excited about. Not feeling very optimistic about the playoffs now even at 7-5 and 3 of the last 4 games at home.

God, it was depressing, wasnt it? Where's the team that went toe to toe with Kansas only 2 games ago?? I felt so sorry for the Jets, we've been there and its not nice. But Indianapolis will wipe the floor with us if we play like that.

God, it was depressing, wasnt it? Where's the team that went toe to toe with Kansas only 2 games ago?? I felt so sorry for the Jets, we've been there and its not nice. But Indianapolis will wipe the floor with us if we play like that.

Sadly every word you say there is nail on the head.

Ourselves, Ravens and Miami are battling it out for last spot imo. New England could come into equation but can’t see it. I think Browns are a lock and I also think both teams in South will make post season. Beat Indy and I’ll start to think it’s possible but I can’t see it.

Ourselves, Ravens and Miami are battling it out for last spot imo. New England could come into equation but can’t see it. I think Browns are a lock and I also think both teams in South will make post season. Beat Indy and I’ll start to think it’s possible but I can’t see it.
    I'm not looking forward to next week. Whilst the Offense can compete, the Defense is odious. Rivers will carve up our secondary. And that means the Offense must perform...against a good defense...."curls up in foetal position and sucks thumb" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Ah but its Rivers, and we like and know how to play against him. I'm expecting a win purely off the back of our hatred of Rivers :)

Guenther fired after last nights showing , not surprising but should have been done before now that the playoffs are essentially out of reach. Let’s see if they can improve under Rod Marinelli

Watched the match last night. A few thoughts:

Watching the Defence was painful last night. The Colts worked us up and down the field at will. And if we did manage to get to 3rd down, you just knew the Colts would make it every time. At one point last night the Commentators made an observation about our Defense, using Kwiatkowski as an example. It was as if the players were playing to a system and not using their own instincts to watch a play develop. So when the Colts RB broke for that 62 yard touchdown, there was no Raiders LB covering him as Kwiatkowski had dropped back into a zone without even looking to see what play was developing. So I'm wondering if it is the system that is stifling the players or is it that the players are inadequate?

I thought the offense did okay but failing to finish off drives in the Red Zone cost us. That interception against Waller in the End Zone was an amazing grab by the Colts DB. Hat duly doffed in his direction.

Watched the match last night. A few thoughts:

Watching the Defence was painful last night. The Colts worked us up and down the field at will. And if we did manage to get to 3rd down, you just knew the Colts would make it every time. At one point last night the Commentators made an observation about our Defense, using Kwiatkowski as an example. It was as if the players were playing to a system and not using their own instincts to watch a play develop. So when the Colts RB broke for that 62 yard touchdown, there was no Raiders LB covering him as Kwiatkowski had dropped back into a zone without even looking to see what play was developing. So I'm wondering if it is the system that is stifling the players or is it that the players are inadequate?

I thought the offense did okay but failing to finish off drives in the Red Zone cost us. That interception against Waller in the End Zone was an amazing grab by the Colts DB. Hat duly doffed in his direction.

Yeah I think that is a good question - kwiatkoski played well earlier this season and there are games where the defense have played really well(@kansas and home to saints) so I am not sure if its scheme or players - most likely a bit of both.

Every week I see some awful attempts at tackling players so it could be a case that Guenther was trying to paper over the cracks with a strict gameplan but it clearly is not working against teams late in the season. Even the Jets moved the ball easily enough on us!

That was an amazing interception just before halftime though by the colts - really was a big momentum turner.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for tonight, although more in hope than confident

Advertisement