Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

eire4 wrote: »
    Given the AFC West is basically on the line tonight I hate to say I agree with what you said there at the end about not fearing anyone Kansas City excepted. The team clearly still is not the finished article in particular on defense but I think having said that 10-2 shows the team is not a million miles off being a genuine contender to win a super bowl. But tonight given our terrible record against Kansas City just 17-37 since 1990 including our worst loss of this season earlier at home I am not overly optimistic of winning tonight.

Karl Joseph is missing tonight, so Nate Allen will probably fill in at safety. Both Stacy McGee and Darius Latham are carrying injuries and its hard to know if they will be able to play, or how much, so that means little depth at DT. They are forecasting a temp of 17 degrees(F) during the game so the field may be hard or even slippy, which means that both teams may lean on their running games to control the clock and minimise the chance of mistakes. The weather and the gameplan it might force, may suit the Chiefs more as they favour the dink and duck style with fewer shots deep downfield and more reliance on Travis Kelce at TE. If the OL can dominate the Raiders have a chance, but they need to keep it tight, try to minimise penalties and when the desired matchup arises they need to strike hard. Both teams play to the final whistle and have had success coming from behind, so whoever wins will have to play hard for the full 60 mins.

A big game from Khalil Mack and Sean Smith(on his return to Kansas City) will be required. I can't argue with the Chiefs being 3pt favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

heyjude wrote: »
    Karl Joseph is missing tonight, so Nate Allen will probably fill in at safety. Both Stacy McGee and Darius Latham are carrying injuries and its hard to know if they will be able to play, or how much, so that means little depth at DT. They are forecasting a temp of 17 degrees(F) during the game so the field may be hard or even slippy, which means that both teams may lean on their running games to control the clock and minimise the chance of mistakes. The weather and the gameplan it might force, may suit the Chiefs more as they favour the dink and duck style with fewer shots deep downfield and more reliance on Travis Kelce at TE. If the OL can dominate the Raiders have a chance, but they need to keep it tight, try to minimise penalties and when the desired matchup arises they need to strike hard. Both teams play to the final whistle and have had success coming from behind, so whoever wins will have to play hard for the full 60 mins.

A big game from Khalil Mack and Sean Smith(on his return to Kansas City) will be required. I can't argue with the Chiefs being 3pt favourites.
    And so it proved. We've lost our advantage in the West now, although both teams have a hard run in and they both face Denver. Its painful but not unexpected and lets be honest, who honestly thought it was going to be easy to walk into Arrowhead and come out with a win?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's pretty unlucky to have another team at this level in your division in any given year. That said, I reckon ye would have happily taken 12 - 4 and a playoff berth to start the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's pretty unlucky to have another team at this level in your division in any given year. That said, I reckon ye would have happily taken 12 - 4 and a playoff berth to start the year.

Exactly- We can win on the road too at Baltimore [already have], Indy, Tennessee or Houston [already have] in the WC game. We'd probably be back at Arrowhead then unless New England implode over the final few weeks. I'd rather go to Foxboro and get revenge on Brady/Bellichik for the tuck rule shambles when a SB was on the line than Arrowhead personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭eire4

Well given the Raiders record against the Chiefs last night was not unexpected for me. Having said that while the division title is now in their hands on the tie breaker because it is only on the tie breaker I still think the Raiders can win the division. Next up is San Diego away with a few extra days rest. Technically an away game but given how many Raiders fans will be there and what is on the line I can see a win there. Then it's the Colts at home. If the Raiders can win both games that I think will set up a winner takes all show down in Denver against the Broncos whom I feel much better about the Raiders beating then the Chiefs.

• Advertisement

eire4 wrote: »
    Well given the Raiders record against the Chiefs last night was not unexpected for me. Having said that while the division title is now in their hands on the tie breaker because it is only on the tie breaker I still think the Raiders can win the division. Next up is San Diego away with a few extra days rest. Technically an away game but given how many Raiders fans will be there and what is on the line I can see a win there. Then it's the Colts at home. If the Raiders can win both games that I think will set up a winner takes all show down in Denver against the Broncos whom I feel much better about the Raiders beating then the Chiefs.

I feel much the same, but when they look back over the game tape they will surely regret not converting the turnovers into touchdowns, as that ultimately decided the game. Looking on the bright side too, if the Raiders face the Chiefs again in the playoffs, they might possibly have Kelechi Osemele and Karl Joseph back, plus Mario Edwards Jr(who has returned to training field again following his hip injury) and Aldon Smith, if his suspension is lifted. That is effectively 4 new starters, who if they were in the lineup would upgrade both the offence and defence to a massive degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Denver in the West last year could have gone from #1 seed to #6 seed right up to the last week (or two) of the season thanks to Kansas City.

I agree the Raiders need not fear anybody, but I would share some of the concerns mentioned here, namely they may not be suited to cold weather/playoff style football, they have played a third place schedule and have scrapped by in many of the games (nothing wrong with that per se - the broncos did the same last year)

Good article in the Washington Post about Carr's struggles in the cold

With all that being said, they are in great shape for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Haven't watched the game yet and never just go on the score line alone. But it seems like the chiefs were the better team.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Haven't watched the game yet and never just go on the score line alone. But it seems like the chiefs were the better team.

To be fair I don't think there was a massive difference. The Raiders had that game there for the winning but as mentioned above did not convert on the turnovers they forced and Carr had by his standards a poor game. Kansas City deserved to win but if the Raiders had pulled it out it would not have been a big injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Also that pass from carr to cooper where he seemed to stumble and miss it while tracking the pass, both players swear the ball changed trajectory, and they're speculating it hit an overhead TV camera wire. That pass was almost a guaranteed touchdown.

Plenty of other things went wrong for the raiders last night and they were second best overall, but still, harsh when those things go against you on a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Does a win against the chargers secure a wild card place?

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Does a win against the chargers secure a wild card place?

Not sure if it becomes a done deal but the Raiders would at that point have at least a 2 game lead over both Denver and Miami with only 2 to play assuming both those teams win. If either gets beat then the Raiders are officially in the playoffs with a win over the Chargers.

I think tannehills injury will halt Miamis gallop. If we finish ahead of Denver we're in play offs

golfball37 wrote: »
    I think tannehills injury will halt Miamis gallop. If we finish ahead of Denver we're in play offs

I would agree with that. At this point it is hard to see the Raiders at least not finishing as the first wildcard team although I still think if the team wins the next 2 games that there will still be a shot at winning the division on the final day of the season in Denver.

Thankfully we can control our destiny with Denver as we play them in the last game. But Sunday is a very important game for us. We need a reaction from the team to get that KC result out of the collective system.

Thankfully we can control our destiny with Denver as we play them in the last game. But Sunday is a very important game for us. We need a reaction from the team to get that KC result out of the collective system.
    And we got it!! We're in the playoffs!! Prefab is a happy man this day! No, we werent perfect but well done to the Defense for stepping up again and helping with the win.

Lets get Aldon Smith back and Mario Edwards. whatever happens now is a bonus, Jack Del Rio for Coach of the year!!

Well after 14 long and painful years the drought is over and the playoffs beckon. Well done to everyone involved. 11-3 just brilliant stuff. Ironic that yesterdays game turned out the way it did with it being a low scoring grind of a game despite the Raiders and the Chargers being the 2 highest scoring attacks in the AFC. Kind of fitting too that Janikowski who has seen all the pain and has stayed loyal was the one to kick the winning points. As I called it last week as well I felt the division was still very much alive so if the Raiders beat the Colts next week the team will head to Denver on the final day of the season with a chance to win the division and get a first round bye in the playoffs as well as a home game to open the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Congratulations to the raiders organisation and raider nation for coming back to the top table of the NFL.

I see that on gamepass there is no Sunday night game yet. I mean raiders vs broncos ? The defending super bowl champs against the comeback story of a once successful franchise to relevance for the division ? I mean it writes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Can't say I was delighted to see us lose at 'home' to the Raiders in front of a Raiders crowd but if it means we lose McCoward then thanks!!.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Can't say I was delighted to see us lose at 'home' to the Raiders in front of a Raiders crowd but if it means we lose McCoward then thanks!!.
    Leslie91, the Chargers deserve better, Rivers deserves better. It appears that the Chargers look increasingly likely to leave town now, how do you feel about that? I'd find it hard to get used to the Los Angeles Chargers! It just doesnt sound right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Leslie91, the Chargers deserve better, Rivers deserves better. It appears that the Chargers look increasingly likely to leave town now, how do you feel about that? I'd find it hard to get used to the Los Angeles Chargers! It just doesnt sound right :D

If they go I reckon they will leave the Chargers name behind. I could even see Rivers retire rather than go to LA.

I'm about 60:40 at moment moving on if they go. I especially can't support an LA 'whatever they get called' still owned by the morons that are the Spanos family.

Ideal world is they stay but sell the team... oh and fire the head coach of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The San Diego Raiders sounds worse :)

Another big game tonight, makes for a fantastic Christmas Eve prior to putting out all the Santa gifts. Will be interesting to see how we handle Mr Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Massive game tonight for the raiders, Indie still trying for the playoffs is going to make it tough. Colts have stop Luck getting sacked in the last few weeks with the rookies on the O line, going to need Mack getting to Luck today. If raiders can't get the win the Chiefs going to be pushing hard for the win Sunday night.

If Jacksonville beat the titans here it will further boost the colts mentality. I'm really worried about tonight I have to say

golfball37 wrote: »
    If Jacksonville beat the titans here it will further boost the colts mentality. I'm really worried about tonight I have to say

and you should be. Any team that has Andrew Luck as QB is a threat and when the Colts have been good this year it is when Luck has been on top form. There problem this season has been consistency. They have been up and down all year. You have to assume they will bring their top game with the season on the line for them tonight though.

Pray for no four.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Ah Jasus :(

Very tough timing on Carr's injury, you wait 14 years to make the playoffs, have a playoff berth secured,have the destination of the AFC West title in your own hands, have a chance to be No 1 seed in the AFC, have Carr in the shakeup for the league MVP and Mack as favourite to win defensive MVP award and Donald Penn allows a sack for the first time this season and Carr suffers a broken leg!!!

Still if you look for some bright embers among the gloom, his replacement Matt McGloin will be a free agent when the season ends so leaving aside any motivation from leading a team in the playoffs, his personal motivation will be huge as the playoffs will serve as a shop window for his abilities to other teams (which will hopefully lead to be starting role elsewhere and a compensatory draft pick for the Raiders). You will probably also see Goodell reinstate Aldon Smith now, when our chances have been dealt such a big blow.

The running game is going to play a major role going forward now, so no harm in getting pretty of practice in Denver next weekend

heyjude wrote: »
    Very tough timing on Carr's injury, you wait 14 years to make the playoffs, have a playoff berth secured,have the destination of the AFC West title in your own hands, have a chance to be No 1 seed in the AFC, have Carr in the shakeup for the league MVP and Mack as favourite to win defensive MVP award and Donald Penn allows a sack for the first time this season and Carr suffers a broken leg!!!

Still if you look for some bright embers among the gloom, his replacement Matt McGloin will be a free agent when the season ends so leaving aside any motivation from leading a team in the playoffs, his personal motivation will be huge as the playoffs will serve as a shop window for his abilities to other teams (which will hopefully lead to be starting role elsewhere and a compensatory draft pick for the Raiders). You will probably also see Goodell reinstate Aldon Smith now, when our chances have been dealt such a big blow.

The running game is going to play a major role going forward now, so no harm in getting pretty of practice in Denver next weekend
    It really is such a disappointment to see happening, especially as we were in a great position for a decent playoff run. I do agree that its not all doom and gloom and we are still a great team. Whatever happens, this has been a phenomenal season.

• Advertisement

It really is such a disappointment to see happening, especially as we were in a great position for a decent playoff run. I do agree that its not all doom and gloom and we are still a great team. Whatever happens, this has been a phenomenal season.

I am would agree with all that you say there. As optimistic as we are were that the Raiders would have a first winning season and make the playoffs for the first time since 2002 I don't think many of us would have imagined the team would do so well they would be 12-3 and staring at the real prospect of not just winning the AFC West but being the number 1 seed in the AFC. In the end I can still see the Raiders winning next weekend to finish 13-3 and win the AFC West which would then give the Raiders a bye in the first round of the playoffs as well as a home game to start out with. I can see the Raiders winning that and getting to the AFC title game. So there certainly still is the possibility of the Raiders accomplishing a few more things even without Carr. The real blow losing Carr for the rest of this season is he has been so good that with him the Raiders had become a legit super bowl contender. That I think has gone now but still lots to be pleased with and hopefully not just does Carr come back even stronger next season but this largely young Raider team learns from what it has accomplished this season and carries that into next season and makes a real serious run at the super bowl.

Advertisement