Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*$*$*$* CAO offers - how they work! *$*$*$*

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MLC61 wrote: »
    I don't know if I will have to repeat until I have reviewed the scripts. I have never got lower than an A1 in Chemistry, including the mocks, and was very happy with the LC. So I was shocked to get a B2. If a mistake was made the additional points would mean that I could just repeat the HPAT next year and not the entire LC.
    I would like to accept my offer of my 2nd choice on this basis.
    If however I don't get the additional points I will repeat the LC. If I have accepted an offer and then don't take it what are the implications?
    Well, you won't know until October whether you get an upgrade / extra points, though admittedly if you view your script with an *experienced examiner* you will have a better idea whether it is likely or not (unless ofc you're in the lucky but tiny cohort where there's simply a mistake in adding the marks up, in which case you'll know much sooner).

So really you're talking about not just accepting your offer but starting your 2nd choice course.

So if you don't get the upgrade, the implications are that you will have started a course, will drop out and will be applying very late to a school to repeat.

Plus the whole hassle of withdrawing from college ... be sure to notify them immediately in that case, and hopefully they won't have sent their stats off to the HEA at that stage, and you will avoid hassle with the fees issue.
    Am I right in saying you can't defer a vacant places offer? Or can you defer it until next year if you're offered it?
    I'm not sure if there is a 100% hard and fast rule, but permission to defer is always at the discretion of the college, not an automatic right. If they are advertising vacant places, they want to fill them and are unlikely to give you permission to defer, I would imagine.
    Ok so my daughter got offered her second choice and accepted it. However she is getting 1 exam rechecked if her points go up to her 1st choice requirements will she be offered it?
    Yes, but whether she will be offered it for this year or not depends on the course and the college, given that appeal results aren't out until October. She may be offered a place in the course for next year instead.
    Vande wrote: »
    If I accept the offer, and later decide not to go to college at all, will I have to pay if I haven't registered? Is there any penalty to changing my mind in that way?
    Not really, but do let them know as soon as you decide, if your decision is not to go ahead. They may be able to offer the place to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vande

From what I've read, Deadman, you should accept the current offer. If a higher preference is offered to you in round 2, and you accept, today's choice will be automatically disregarded.
    If you ignore the current offer, it will fall away, and you may not get an offer in round two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Hello, I just got a letter from the college where I had a level 7 course down but I have no intention of accepting, I already accepted my level 8. The letter was basically to register with the college even though I haven't accepted a place there, I've also heard nothing from the college which the course I have accepted is in. Just wondering is this normal or should I be worried?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hello, I just got a letter from the college where I had a level 7 course down but I have no intention of accepting, I already accepted my level 8. The letter was basically to register with the college even though I haven't accepted a place there, I've also heard nothing from the college which the course I have accepted is in. Just wondering is this normal or should I be worried?

I got the same. If you've accepted your Level 8 and got confirmation through the CAO you're fine. Ignore the letter.

Does anyone know where I could find a number to contact NUIG about an internal transfer of a course? I know it's probably not possible but thought I'd give it a shot.

• Advertisement

Admissions 091 492401

I genuinely wouldn't be optimistic though.

Yeah I'm not at all optimistic but hey, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Say if I had already accepted an offer in Level 7/6 and I'm waiting to see if I'll be offered a place on a Level 8 vacant place when they're offered... It's just really like the normal procedure that if I'm offered a vacant place, the Level 7/6 I already accepted will cancel out? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jessmd

I missed BESS in tcd by random selection in the 2nd round. Does anyone know the chances of getting a third round offer for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 imjayr

me too i am still hoping for a nursing offer :(! i dont think taking the fetac route was a good idea, :(!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Domikadze

Just wandering. Lets say my number one choice is 345 points and my number two is 380. and lets say i got 380, So I am offered a number one place or a number two place?? If I am offered a number two choice, can i reject it and get an offer for number one choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

You are offer your number one choice.

Domikadze wrote: »
    Just wandering. Lets say my number one choice is 345 points and my number two is 380. and lets say i got 380, So I am offered a number one place or a number two place?? If I am offered a number two choice, can i reject it and get an offer for number one choice?
    Your number one choice on the list.

And having been offered your first choice, you will never be offered your second choice regardless of whether you accept or reject your first choice.

If you are offered your second choice, on the other hand, you *may* be lucky enough to get offered your first choice in the second round, if the points for it drop (and regardless of whether you accepted or rejected your second choice / first offer).

The CAO system works on the premise that you knew your own mind when you ranked your choices in order: you will be offered something higher on your preference list if it becomes available, but NEVER lower.

So be very sure to rank your preferences in the order in which you would genuinely like to be offered them, not on the basis of what you think the points might be, or any other factor.

Advertisement