Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*$*$*$* CAO offers - how they work! *$*$*$*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

tired t wrote: »
    hi just wondering do you only get one offer from one college or can you get more from other colleges? :confused: got 1st preference but not sure still want it,:eek: will there be other offers from different colleges or is this it apart from 2nd round if this not accepted? thanks guys
    If you were offered your first preference you won't get any further offers on that list (your level 8 list I'm guessing).
    temujin wrote: »
    hi i've just read my cao application and i have been accepted for both my level 8 and level 7/6 course. I have already accepted my level 8 but i'm still being prompted to accept my level 7/6 as well. Should i still accept my level 7/6 even though i'm not going to that college.
    Don't accept the level 7/6 course. Just leave it as is.
    biohaiid wrote: »
    Just wondering ..
    Could you accept whatever course you get and do it for the year, but reapply through the CAO for next year while still doing the course?
    Then drop out and start over maybe!?
    You could do that, but you'd be going through open competition again next year and you'd have to pay to do first year of the second course you accept.
    I was just wondering does anyone know if you can you accept an offer, defer it and then repeat the LC and apply through CAO for a different course the next year? :confused:
    Not sure on that one, but I'd imagine you could. Be aware of the specific requirements about deferred places. If you actually wanted to accept your deferred place, but entered more than that course on your CAO, you'd re-enter open competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Yeah you could, but you'd have to pay full fees for whatever you do next year.

Why? What if I had the grant?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Yeah you could, but you'd have to pay full fees for whatever you do next year.

Why? What if I had the grant?

Because the free fees only apply for your first undergraduate course or part thereof. If you complete one year of one course, that's one year of your free fees used up. I'd say that still applies, even if you have a grant.

Remember the distinction between fees and the student contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

dambarude wrote: »
    Because the free fees only apply for your first undergraduate course or part thereof. If you complete one year of one course, that's one year of your free fees used up. I'd say that still applies, even if you have a grant.

Yeah it will still apply even with a grant! You'll lose your grant for the next course as well as having to pay full fees for whatever the course is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Silver_Tiger

Okay! Thanks very much Avox and dambarude!

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »

Avox wrote: »
    Yeah it will still apply even with a grant! You'll lose your grant for the next course as well as having to pay full fees for whatever the course is.

Iv'e actually been talking to a local girl that has done this.
    There is a date in October and if I swtich courses before then, then I wont be charged fees.
    However if I switch after that date I will be charged fees for the first year only of my new course. After that the grant will cover it.

Iv'e actually been talking to a local girl that has done this.
    There is a date in October and if I swtich courses before then, then I wont be charged fees.
    However if I switch after that date I will be charged fees for the first year only of my new course. After that the grant will cover it.

You said you'd do a full year, that's very different. You can only switch degrees if you meet the entry requirements, which judging by your posts, you don't have the points and it wouldn't be much good for you anyway?

You said you'd do a full year, that's very different. You can only switch degrees if you meet the entry requirements, which judging by your posts, you don't have the points and it wouldn't be much good for you anyway?

How? Sorry, I'm just very confused right now.
    I don't have the points for my top 2 courses right now, but I was thinking could I re-apply next to the CAO next year while still doing my course?
    If I still didn't get it, I'd stick with my course.
    If I did though, would I not just be paying the full fees for my first year of the new course and then getting the grant for the rest?
    Or, is that only applicable if I dont complete the first year of my first course.

How? Sorry, I'm just very confused right now.
    I don't have the points for my top 2 courses right now, but I was thinking could I re-apply next to the CAO next year while still doing my course?
    If I still didn't get it, I'd stick with my course.
    If I did though, would I not just be paying the full fees for my first year of the new course and then getting the grant for the rest?
    Or, is that only applicable if I dont complete the first year of my first course.

You can reapply next year whilst doing your course, yes.
    Yeah you'd pay full fees for first year only (anywhere from 6-10,000), and no grant for that year. You'd have to pay the registration fee on top (2500 next year).
    After that year, you wouldn't have to pay your fees and you would get your grant.
    If you drop out before September 30th (in most colleges, some may be a bit later), you won't have to pay fees the year after and if you haven't received any of your grant payments you could get it the next year too.

After that you're liable for half fees for first year up until a date in January. Anytime after that, you're liable for full fees for the next year.

You can reapply next year whilst doing your course, yes.
    Yeah you'd pay full fees for first year only (anywhere from 6-10,000), and no grant for that year. You'd have to pay the registration fee on top (2500 next year).
    After that year, you wouldn't have to pay your fees and you would get your grant.
    If you drop out before September 30th (in most colleges, some may be a bit later), you won't have to pay fees the year after and if you haven't received any of your grant payments you could get it the next year too.

After that you're liable for half fees for first year up until a date in January. Anytime after that, you're liable for full fees for the next year.

Great info. Thank you so much!

• Advertisement

Iv'e just been told you cannot receive a 2nd round offer if you accept your 1st, is this true?

Iv'e just been told you cannot receive a 2nd round offer if you accept your 1st, is this true?

No, you can go up on your CAO, just not down.

No, you can go up on your CAO, just not down.

Ah my god, I am getting all this different information from different Guidance counsellors.
    So I can definately accept my offer and if by some miracle I get offered a higher choice I can accept that one too, and then decline the other one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Say I accepted a Level 7 today, and tomorrow applied for a Level 8 course on the vacant places and I then got offered that and accepted it, the Level 7 would cancel out then? :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, please read the first post in this thread / your CAO handbook.
    Ah my god, I am getting all this different information from different Guidance counsellors.
    So I can definately accept my offer and if by some miracle I get offered a higher choice I can accept that one too, and then decline the other one?
    Yes, you can accept the higher choice IF you get an offer, and that acceptance will automatically cancel the earlier one.

No, please read the first post in this thread / your CAO handbook.

Yes, you can accept the higher choice IF you get an offer, and that acceptance will automatically cancel the earlier one.

Thank you.
    I had always thought you could accept a higher option if it was offered, and I was just told by a pretty established guidance counsellor that you couldn't. Was in momentary chock there lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Hi I'm just wondering about this date in October that was mentioned earlier. I got my first choice as it went down by 45 points this year which I did not expect and I had more or less accepted in my head that I would be going for my second choice. Now that I've gotten my first choice I'm not sure how I feel. So, is it possible for me to do my course til October and then switch over to my second choice without having to pay fees etc.

The 2 courses are Civil Law and Comp Science and I.T. and I got the points for both. Any help is appreciated :)

Hi I'm just wondering about this date in October that was mentioned earlier. I got my first choice as it went down by 45 points this year which I did not expect and I had more or less accepted in my head that I would be going for my second choice. Now that I've gotten my first choice I'm not sure how I feel. So, is it possible for me to do my course til October and then switch over to my second choice without having to pay fees etc.

The 2 courses are Civil Law and Comp Science and I.T. and I got the points for both. Any help is appreciated :)

That's quite a bit different to dropping out, and no one can really give you a definite answer, as it all depends on the University's decision about whether they can allow you to transfer or not. Basically, if there are places available in the course that you want to transfer to, and if you meet all the entry requirements, they might let you transfer to it. Judging by your post, it's CS&IT in NUIG that you want to transfer in to? It's points increased by 35 this year which means there was a surge in demand, and may not be any places for you to transfer into.

Yeah it's CS & IT that I'm thinking of trying to get into, but it's so hard to know! Like I could love law I just already know I have an interest in computers and had accepted that there was no way law was going to go down by 45 points, you can imagine my surprise when I logged on to the CAO! So it's up to the college then, thanks for the info, at least I know if is at the very least possible should I hate law. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tired t

thanks dambarude, sorry for being thick but are all the colleges informed then that my 1st preference has been franted? so no other college will make an offer?
    thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Son was offered CS & IT in NUIG which was his 1st choice. He got 515 pts.

However, he is now more interested in Electronics & Computer Engineering; which was 2nd choice.

What are the options, if any, of getting the Electronics & CE.

If he turns down his 1st choice, could he be offered the 2nd.

Thanks.

No you can't go down on the CAO only up, as far as I know anyway. Maybe somebody can tell you more, but I wouldn't think so, although like in my case there might be the possibility of changing in October but I'm not fully sure how that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I didn't get offered anything even though I was 30 points above one course and 15 above another.

Did you have all the entry requirements? Look up your course on qualifax, most courses will have requirements which need to be fulfilled as well as the points (like HC3 in maths, honours in a science, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

tired t wrote: »
    thanks dambarude, sorry for being thick but are all the colleges informed then that my 1st preference has been franted? so no other college will make an offer?
    thanks a million

The CAO makes the offers, the colleges are not involved at this point. If you've got number 1 on your CAO, you won't be offered anything else.
    paulgalway wrote: »
    Son was offered CS & IT in NUIG which was his 1st choice. He got 515 pts.

However, he is now more interested in Electronics & Computer Engineering; which was 2nd choice.

What are the options, if any, of getting the Electronics & CE.

If he turns down his 1st choice, could he be offered the 2nd.

Thanks.

Unfortunately there is no chance of getting offered something that was lower down on your CAO form through the CAO.

You can ring NUIG admissions and ask them if there is any option of an internal transfer but this would be unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

I don't know if I will have to repeat until I have reviewed the scripts. I have never got lower than an A1 in Chemistry, including the mocks, and was very happy with the LC. So I was shocked to get a B2. If a mistake was made the additional points would mean that I could just repeat the HPAT next year and not the entire LC.
    I would like to accept my offer of my 2nd choice on this basis.
    If however I don't get the additional points I will repeat the LC. If I have accepted an offer and then don't take it what are the implications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Am I right in saying you can't defer a vacant places offer? Or can you defer it until next year if you're offered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MissMorality

Ok so my daughter got offered her second choice and accepted it. However she is getting 1 exam rechecked if her points go up to her 1st choice requirements will she be offered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vande

If I accept the offer, and later decide not to go to college at all, will I have to pay if I haven't registered? Is there any penalty to changing my mind in that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 deadman1693

Hey I got a course offer yesterday, if i accept that one and somehow in the 2nd round offers there is a free space in one of other course choices (I got offered my last one on my list) can I accept the higher one if i get it in round 2?
    and also
    if i just ignore the offer till round 2, will i lose that place permanently? or can I somehow accept it if I don't get any higher offers in round 2? or will i just lose a place in college?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hey I got a course offer yesterday, if i accept that one and somehow in the 2nd round offers there is a free space in one of other course choices (I got offered my last one on my list) can I accept the higher one if i get it in round 2?
    Yes.
    if i just ignore the offer till round 2, will i lose that place permanently?
    Yes.
    or can I somehow accept it if I don't get any higher offers in round 2?
    No.
    or will i just lose a place in college?
    Yes.

Please read the first post in this thread *carefully*! :)

Advertisement