Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 2 Level Choice

Options
  • 16-08-2012 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,

I am starting my second year of philosophy in UCD, and I was hoping for some advice in regards level choice for the upcoming module registration. Is it standard practice to pick entirely Level 2 modules in second year, and entirely Level 3 modules in third (excluding electives)?

In regards the Level 3 modules I can pick all of them suggest having studied at least four Level 2 modules beforehand. I was thinking it might be a good idea to pick say two Level 3 modules for the second semester in second year to lessen the workload of my final year?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I don't recommend picking any level 3 modules in 2nd year. Your level 2 modules are meant as a base for the more advanced study you'll be doing in third year. I'm going into 3rd year and I have so many level 3 core modules that it makes up the quota without needing to have done any in 2nd year.

Don't make life complicated for yourself. If you're worried about a heavy workload in 3rd year, opt for two easy level 1 electives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Manbro

Siuin wrote: »
    I don't recommend picking any level 3 modules in 2nd year. Your level 2 modules are meant as a base for the more advanced study you'll be doing in third year. I'm going into 3rd year and I have so many level 3 core modules that it makes up the quota without needing to have done any in 2nd year.

Don't make life complicated for yourself. If you're worried about a heavy workload in 3rd year, opt for two easy level 1 electives.

Thanks for the sound advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

So are you OK to pick all level 2 modules/electives for second year?

Isn't it something like you can only do a total of 20 credits from level one in second and third year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Ditto what Siuin said. Level 3 modules often work on the basis that you completed the level 2, so you could be doing more harm that good.

You can pick all Level 2 in second year, but you can use your electives at Level 1 so long as your limits aren't exceeded.
    There are limits on the credit levels. In arts (DN500) it is 80 credits can be taken at Level 1, which would add up to your first year including electives(60 credits), but allow you to have your 2nd and 3rd year electives at Level 1(20 credits). You are expected to do a certain amount of Level 2 and 3 (check on the course site for them).

(^^^Not very eloquent today. Hung over. Sorry)

I read the auld guideline thing but it's a bit confusing. So you've already done 60 Level 1 credits in first year, you can do twenty more if you like.

Would people do two Level one electives in second year and another two in third year?

• Advertisement

Neeson wrote: »

Would people do two Level one electives in second year and another two in third year?

Yeah. I'm planning on taking Level 1 electives. My friend does the same and he's a year ahead of me. You can take Level 2 if you like, but they are usually more intensive and are more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Neeson wrote: »
    I read the auld guideline thing but it's a bit confusing. So you've already done 60 Level 1 credits in first year, you can do twenty more if you like.

Yeah, some people would do that. Not all level 1 modules are easier than level 3s etc. I did a level 3 elective this year that I personally found quite easy. I find it best to pick a module which sounds interesting to you. Like a level 1 maths module might be easy to someone who loves maths but hard to someone who hates it. To the person who hates maths a level 3 history module might be easier to them than the level 1 maths if they liked history. So it depends on you really.

Do you choose your third year modules/electives when you're going into second year?

Choose second and third year ones when registering for second year?

Only choose your second year modules for now.

That's 60 credits usually isn't it?

• Advertisement

Yep, as long as you have no repeats.

Also, when you are choosing your modules make sure you take the correct amount of credits for each subject - esp if you are doing Arts DN500, because I doubt the system will warn you if you make a hash of it.
    Major/Minor - 60/40 credits over a two year period so 30/20 for one year.
    Joint - 50/50 so 25/25 for the year.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Also, when you are choosing your modules make sure you take the correct amount of credits for each subject - esp if you are doing Arts DN500, because I doubt the system will warn you if you make a hash of it.
    Major/Minor - 60/40 credits over a two year period so 30/20 for one year.
    Joint - 50/50 so 25/25 for the year.

It says that in an online guide thing but it's all terribly confusing and threatening. Making statements such as "it is your responsibility to do this right, you won't graduate unless you do it right, the system will not police what you do and even though it lets you do something it doesn't necessarily mean its the correct thing to do. We take the responsibility for providing the information, it's up to you to take the responsibility to act on it appropriately".

Jaysus.

Good ol' Joe Brady. Had him for Geography. Should see the emails he sent out.

Help!

It says

You have chosen 0 out of a mandatory 5 Option Modules

I have registered for 40 credits for second year.

Add 10 to that for electives is 50. I need 10 more credits.

Is it OK just to take 2 modules from the list where it says mandatory 5?

Like in the options modules tab it lists loads of modules some of which are level 3.

But it tells you choose out of a mandatory 5 whereas I only need to choose 2 out of there to get myself 60 credits for the semester.

I know this because I have chosen any ones from the core section that were needed and then left the 10 out to choose electives.

What subject you doing? Major/Minor? Each subject has its own rules

joint major

DfSRN.png

IE3kl.png

m4HUh.png

NKBlr.png

ClGQQ.png

DjGSz.png

1OQfu.png

I don't think it shows the electives up because they are pending until 10th Sept. Is that correct?

Edit!!! Hang on. Electives is whats missing.

• Advertisement

Did you select you electives? If you did then they won't show till they are confirmed

I have them selected.

Both are provisional status.

Am I OK?

Yeah. You just have to wait to see if you get them. They'll send you an email to let you know later on.

I did that castles module last year as my elective. My advice is go to all the classes and take good notes.
    I'll see you in Geog classes too.

I did that castles module last year as my elective. My advice is go to all the classes and take good notes.
    I'll see you in Geog classes too.

As per usual I aim to start well and then just not be arsed after a few weeks!

Unfortunately I ended up having to go with that Turner prick again. :mad:

ha ha ha. Poor ol' Jonathan. He'll be graced with my presence this year too.
    But really, about the castles, usually messes up the slides when putting them on BB and that's if he remembers. No notes usually cos he uses PDF rather than Powerpoint.

But really, about the castles, usually messes up the slides when putting them on BB and that's if he remembers. No notes usually cos he uses PDF rather than Powerpoint.

Yeah, I remember he was a bit dodgy with something last year alright. But he's a decent skin. Better stock up on a few refill pads so!

He is grand. I think he is just flighty. He forgot to give us a date for the final project so he just gave the last poss time. Also made the exam up at the last poss minute.

Good thing is that he's really into the module so he gives you plenty of info. Make a note of the main characteristics of each castle, ex of an Irish one and a comparative to England or France.

Indeed. He's a bit of a childlike chap. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I'll secure an A. Something I have yet to do.

Just noticed this.

8DarE.png

But isn't stage two part of third year so it should say incomplete because the modules for third year have not been chosen yet?

• Advertisement

Yeah stage two is done over two years so it'll be incomplete.

Advertisement