Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subjects in one year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

When you are repeating think carefully about what subjects you want to do or what subjects you might need in the future. I'm 28 and have a degree and a masters but I really want to be a primary school teacher. I did the leaving in 2002 and I would have laughed in your face if you told me I would want to be a primary school teacher back then. I was offered a place on a primary school teacher training course in the UK this year but my offer was withdrawn because I got a D in LC maths 10 years ago. I dropped maths when I repeated because the D was good enough for the course I wanted to do (and subsequently did) in UCC. I'm really regretting the decision to drop maths now!!! I'll be sitting the Leaving again next year with my sister who is 11 years younger than me.

Sunny, what do you wan to do in college? What are your interests? Are you an arts/humanities, business or science kind of person?

I would have described myself as an average student in school. In 2002 I got 355 points in the LC and in 2003 I got 450. In 2002 I left things go far too late but in 2003 I did some solid work....although I concentrated on some subjects more than others. I ended up doing 10 subjects between my 2 leaving certs.I'm an arts/humanities person and I ended up doing Irish, English, Maths, French, History, Geography, Classics, Economics, Biology and Agricultural Science. (I did Chemistry for a year as well)

I'm not scientifically or business minded but I'm still glad I did a business subject and 2 science subjects. I thinks its's handy to have at least one of each area. You'll never know what you might want to get into in the future and not having a science or business subject in the LC might be a barrier of entry for you.

Of all the science subjects I would say agricultural science is the easiest, very doable in a year. As I said I'm not scientifically minded. I did biology the fist time I sat the LC and I found agricultural science far easier. I went from a C3 in biology to a B1 in agricultural science.

Despite me being an arts/humanities person I thought classics was hard enough, it's not a walk over or handy subject as some people make it out to be. I got a D3 in it the first year I did and a C2 when I repeated. It's a mix of history, art history and English. It can be done in a year but not to be taken lightly.

I did economics in the space of a year. I got a C2 in it. It was my first ever business subject, I didn't even do JC business. I though it was fine even though business isn't where my interests are. Economics is the only LC business subject I have experience with but I found a lot of economics is just common sense. There are some calculations to do in economics but it is all just following formulas and sticking numbers in the right place. If you are strong with numbers you could always go with accounting as well.

Geography can be done in a year as well if you repeat. It's fairly straightforward.

thanks for the reply, im more of a science person. I do accounting and business but dont want to do economics as i dont have an interest in it.
    I like geography very straighforward.

I think ag science is the best option as i love biology. I was told theres great overlap but im not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Sunny!! wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, im more of a science person. I do accounting and business but dont want to do economics as i dont have an interest in it.
    I like geography very straighforward.

I think ag science is the best option as i love biology. I was told theres great overlap but im not sure

Ya there is an overlap between the two...at least there was 10 years ago anyway. For example, both subjects have genetics questions but I found the agricultural science genetics question a lot easier than the biology one. Sounds like agricultural science so. I'm not really from an agricultural background, my grandfather and uncle are farmers but I'm from the city and never did a days work on a farm in my life and it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jsmscork wrote: »
    True. But the point I am making is that the vast majority of those would be doing it in one year. That makes it a popular one year subject; not a popular subject. A fine distinction.

Yes in Leeson St and one other school I think. Hardly representative of the rest of the country and like ag science there is a project and it needs to be signed off by a teacher, so it's not very good advice to tell people to take it up when they won't be able to find a teacher to teach it/supervise it unless they are attending the Institute.

Many students attend IoE and do lots of new subjects in one year so Ag Economics would hardly be distinguished in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jsmscork wrote: »
    Well, I'm not actually from Dublin so I can assure you I am not looking at things from a Dublin point of view.

I know of 4 places in Cork where students can do Ag Ec and as a teacher of the subject in two of these places, I am already familiar with the criteria for the subject.

I hardly think it is necessary to clarify advice to include 'do the subject if you can find a teacher'. Someone asked for suggestions of good one-year subjects and I provided one. I don't know what you are so aggressive towards the subject....

Fair enough my apologies, it wasn't meant to be an aggressive post, I assumed you were a student. It was started up in Leeson St last year. On here though it is necessary to clarify getting a teacher.

A lot of students who post on here study extra subjects by themselves so they take up ag science with business, applied maths etc. Then so many students who come on here every year saying 'I hear ag science is a handy subject to do in one year.....' and then are back a few months later in a panic because they have no one to sign off on their project because they didn't realise they needed a teacher for it, so I could just see ag economics going the same way and with even less teachers available, less centres (Dublin and Cork by the looks of it) and zero resources, I think that students should have their eyes wide open taking either subject, not so much ag science any more as there are plenty of resources and it has become quite popular, but there are a whole host of threads on here over the year with people asking about relatively obscure subjects and trying to plough ahead with them and factor them into their points subjects without finding out the details. Teachers grading projects doesn't come into other subjects so they don't know about the requirement often when it's almost too late.

It would probably be useful to those students if you posted a requirements list for ag economics and stick it in the ag science thread, there have been a few enquiries about it over the last year but with a lack of resources, where it can be studied, details about project, students can't take the subject or risk running into all sorts of trouble if they try without knowing all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Timbo6

Genuinely wondering what people fancy as the "one year" subjects, aiming big. But hated some of my own last year.
    Don't want; Just go with you're aptitude.. I've no idea.
    Preferable staying away from the burden of projects, i'm thinking atleast.

Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Timbo6 wrote: »
    Genuinely wondering what people fancy as the "one year" subjects, aiming big. But hated some of my own last year.
    Don't want; Just go with you're aptitude.. I've no idea.
    Preferable staying away from the burden of projects, i'm thinking atleast.

Opinions?

Merged with a similar thread from a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Well I did Economics myself outside of School and got an A2 without any grinds or anything, definitely a possibility! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

for the ag science project is one farm involved in dairy production enough?

Advertisement