Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subjects in one year

Options
  • 15-08-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭

has anyone any recommendations?

I've heard ag science but can any one tell me about it is it interesting? is there alot of biology?

any help thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

Ag Sci and Ag Ec are both popular enough as one year subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I did Economics and Agricultural Science in one year when I repeated, both very doable.

There is biology in it but I didn't find it to be as hard as biology itself.

I did Biology the first time I did the Leaving and got a C3. I dropped it for Agricultural Science the next year and got a B1 so there was a good improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jack.h

I would say Applied maths and Accounting would both be good subjects to do in one year. Did Accounting myself in one year and got an A2 and although i did applied maths in 2 years it would be easy to do applied maths in one year if you are good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I did Art in one year, it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

jack.h wrote: »
    I would say Applied maths and Accounting would both be good subjects to do in one year. Did Accounting myself in one year and got an A2 and although i did applied maths in 2 years it would be easy to do applied maths in one year if you are good at it.

I do accounting but I couldnt do applied maths as I don't do higher maths or physics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Joe95

I do Ag Science and I honestly can't stand it. I usually get B's, but I have to properly focus when doing the exams since I have absolutely no interest in the subject. As you can probably guess, there's a lot of farming in the subject. If you have an interest for farming, then I say choose it. It'll be easy for you to learn. There's not much biology but there is a bit. It's all easy biology, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Did Ag science in one year got an A2 today, did physics from november with only 4 grinds at the start, got an A1 today.

I'd say do physics, cause you do chemistry, and the Ag science project is a massive, unbelievable pain in the ass. Hated every moment of it.

Did Ag science in one year got an A2 today, did physics from november with only 4 grinds at the start, got an A1 today.

I'd say do physics, cause you do chemistry, and the Ag science project is a massive, unbelievable pain in the ass. Hated every moment of it.

is physics hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I did geography in a year with no effort, I'd also recommend ag but really only if you have access to a farm otherwise I'd imagine the project would be a bit of a pain.

I did geography in a year with no effort, I'd also recommend ag but really only if you have access to a farm otherwise I'd imagine the project would be a bit of a pain.

the thing is i done ag science for abput 3 weeks last year and couldnt stand it! like the prospect of physics!. I did take up geography in a year and got a B

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »
    is physics hard?

Hmm honours mechanics is, and apparently electricity is (although i didn't do it). But the rest is not only easy, but quite enjoyable in comparison to other subjects.

And the paper is very soft.

Hmm honours mechanics is, and apparently electricity is (although i didn't do it). But the rest is not only easy, but quite enjoyable in comparison to other subjects.

And the paper is very soft.

how much maths would be in each question?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jsmscork wrote: »

Only 84 students sat the Ag Economics paper in the whole country this year, can't see how it's a popular subject

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The actual maths in physics for leaving cert is pretty simple, if you can work a calculator and do algebra to OL standard you should be fine, what drove me up the walls with physics was learning definitions and formulae, there's a lot of them and accuracy matters, if you're fine with that and aren't the type to fool yourself into believing something is difficult due to reputation then it shouldn't be a problem.

It wouldn't be my first choice of leaving cert subjects to complete in a year though. Accounting is probably a good option for people who want something more numbery and less natural sciences.

EDIT: you already do that, don't you? Economics?

The actual maths in physics for leaving cert is pretty simple, if you can work a calculator and do algebra to OL standard you should be fine, what drove me up the walls with physics was learning definitions and formulae, there's a lot of them and accuracy matters, if you're fine with that and aren't the type to fool yourself into believing something is difficult due to reputation then it shouldn't be a problem.

It wouldn't be my first choice of leaving cert subjects to complete in a year though. Accounting is probably a good option for people who want something more numbery and less natural sciences.

EDIT: you already do that, don't you? Economics?

I like maths (ol anyway) would be A1. I like accounting.

But i hate business and dont want to do another business type subject like economics. I'm a science person and would have absolutely no interest in econoimics but i would in physics

• Registered Users Posts: 29 afrocod

I just did the leaving in one year (Jan to Jun really). I'm a science head too and my best marks were for Biology and Physics so I would definitely recommend those. Stay away from chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Hey Sunny. I know you said you hated ag science when you did it last year. If you wanted to give it another try though it is a very doable subject in one year. I repeated this year and took up ag science as a new subject and got an A1 today. I think a lot is probably down to the teacher in the subject though as the textbook isn't that great. My teacher loved the subject also so that helped keep up my interest. The project does take a lot of effort but it's manageable if you start early. As regards the farm visits most farmers would be delighted to help you out if you just looked them up online or something and gave them a call. I can't speak for the other subjects since ag science was my only new subject but to end this essay of a post I would really recommend it.

dcam wrote: »
    Hey Sunny. I know you said you hated ag science when you did it last year. If you wanted to give it another try though it is a very doable subject in one year. I repeated this year and took up ag science as a new subject and got an A1 today. I think a lot is probably down to the teacher in the subject though as the textbook isn't that great. My teacher loved the subject also so that helped keep up my interest. The project does take a lot of effort but it's manageable if you start early. As regards the farm visits most farmers would be delighted to help you out if you just looked them up online or something and gave them a call. I can't speak for the other subjects since ag science was my only new subject but to end this essay of a post I would really recommend it.

i think ag science would be easier to learn than physics even though its boring. I think ill do ag science:)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

i think ag science would be easier to learn than physics even though its boring. I think ill do ag science:)

Give it a go anyway sure. I really liked the subject so if I can be of any help to you during the year in terms of the project or anything really feel free to PM me.

dcam wrote: »
    Give it a go anyway sure. I really liked the subject so if I can be of any help to you during the year in terms of the project or anything really feel free to PM me.

thanks i was looking at papers and there seems to be lots of choice, and the project is an advantage!

• Advertisement

The only question that has proper maths in it is question 6 (centripetal force or simple harmonic motion) I'm quite bad at maths, so I just never attempted studying for that question, didn't even read it in the exam.

Ag science is fine, and it's not a boring subject at all, in comparison to other subjects I took I enjoyed studying it. However, the project is definitely not an advantage it took up soooooooo much of my time and I hated having to do it. It was dreadful.

The other thing with Ag science aswell is you need a teacher, as rainbowtrout said you can't just sign up and post in the project. I don't know if that's a problem for you though. Doing Biology and chemistry will help you a lot with ag science. But chemistry will help you a lot with physics too.

Personally, I put more hours into the Ag science project than I did into all of physics study. However, I also just got lucky this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

jsmscork wrote: »

Only 84 students sat the Ag Economics paper in the whole country this year, can't see how it's a popular subject

True. But the point I am making is that the vast majority of those would be doing it in one year. That makes it a popular one year subject; not a popular subject. A fine distinction.

The only question that has proper maths in it is question 6 (centripetal force or simple harmonic motion) I'm quite bad at maths, so I just never attempted studying for that question, didn't even read it in the exam.

Ag science is fine, and it's not a boring subject at all, in comparison to other subjects I took I enjoyed studying it. However, the project is definitely not an advantage it took up soooooooo much of my time and I hated having to do it. It was dreadful.

The other thing with Ag science aswell is you need a teacher, as rainbowtrout said you can't just sign up and post in the project. I don't know if that's a problem for you though. Doing Biology and chemistry will help you a lot with ag science. But chemistry will help you a lot with physics too.

Personally, I put more hours into the Ag science project than I did into all of physics study. However, I also just got lucky this year.

i'll be doing ag science in a school so there be no issue i have a teacher. No leaving cert subject is easy but i think ag science might suit better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Classical Studies is a good one year option. The syllabus is huge but the way the paper is designed allows you to cut it in half. Thus given you half of a two year course to study.

The exam is marked the way any other exam is. i.e it's not "handy" marks. However, if you need an extra subject but don't want to cram a two year syllabus into one, classics may be a good choice.

Classical Studies is a good one year option. The syllabus is huge but the way the paper is designed allows you to cut it in half. Thus given you half of a two year course to study.

The exam is marked the way any other exam is. i.e it's not "handy" marks. However, if you need an extra subject but don't want to cram a two year syllabus into one, classics may be a good choice.

would classics be like history?

would classics be like history?

Yes, almost. The subject matter is similar to history with a little fiction and English thrown in - you read the Greek classic dramas (Medea etc), the story of Alexander the Great, The Odyssey and The Iliad and do a little study on Greek and Roman Architecture.

Study wise it is very much like History -just little stories examined through essays.

It is possible to study it from home - Go to the two week courses offered by the likes of the Institute of Education, get the notes and summaries and read them. Also, Plenty of grind teachers are available for Classical Studies.

Later in life, the subject has value as it broadens the amount of crap you can talk over a few pints and the architecture section would give you some insight into building design around Dublin.

But, I stress again, it isn't handy marks. If you approach it with the mind set "This is my one year subject, it's easy, i'll rock the paper" you will get a 'C'. The bell curve of results is the same across most of the exams.

Yes, almost. The subject matter is similar to history with a little fiction and English thrown in - you read the Greek classic dramas (Medea etc), the story of Alexander the Great, The Odyssey and The Iliad and do a little study on Greek and Roman Architecture.

Study wise it is very much like History -just little stories examined through essays.

It is possible to study it from home - Go to the two week courses offered by the likes of the Institute of Education, get the notes and summaries and read them. Also, Plenty of grind teachers are available for Classical Studies.

Later in life, the subject has value as it broadens the amount of crap you can talk over a few pints and the architecture section would give you some insight into building design around Dublin.

But, I stress again, it isn't handy marks. If you approach it with the mind set "This is my one year subject, it's easy, i'll rock the paper" you will get a 'C'. The bell curve of results is the same across most of the exams.

its just i dont do history and have had no interest in it. I'm not strong at english either would only be a B student.

its just i dont do history and have had no interest in it. I'm not strong at english either would only be a B student.

I'm not trying to convince you. I provided the information and the alternatives are laid out above. You can make an informed decision based on that.

I ended up sitting 11 subjects for my leaving cert. Worked out like 15~ papers. Classical studies was one of the few subjects I genuinely found interesting. This was in part due to the mixed nature of the syllabus.

I outlined the syllabus - It is a mix of history, english and art and architecture but because it is such a mix it becomes it's own subject and requires very little indepth master of those disciplines. (Anecdote - out of my class of 12 in Classics , 6 went on to study law, 2 became Barristers this year and a further 2 have intentions to go to King's Inns next year)

Like I said, I'm not trying to sell you on this. There are a myriad of options out there. Classical studies is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

When you are repeating think carefully about what subjects you want to do or what subjects you might need in the future. I'm 28 and have a degree and a masters but I really want to be a primary school teacher. I did the leaving in 2002 and I would have laughed in your face if you told me I would want to be a primary school teacher back then. I was offered a place on a primary school teacher training course in the UK this year but my offer was withdrawn because I got a D in LC maths 10 years ago. I dropped maths when I repeated because the D was good enough for the course I wanted to do (and subsequently did) in UCC. I'm really regretting the decision to drop maths now!!! I'll be sitting the Leaving again next year with my sister who is 11 years younger than me.

Sunny, what do you wan to do in college? What are your interests? Are you an arts/humanities, business or science kind of person?

I would have described myself as an average student in school. In 2002 I got 355 points in the LC and in 2003 I got 450. In 2002 I left things go far too late but in 2003 I did some solid work....although I concentrated on some subjects more than others. I ended up doing 10 subjects between my 2 leaving certs.I'm an arts/humanities person and I ended up doing Irish, English, Maths, French, History, Geography, Classics, Economics, Biology and Agricultural Science. (I did Chemistry for a year as well)

I'm not scientifically or business minded but I'm still glad I did a business subject and 2 science subjects. I thinks its's handy to have at least one of each area. You'll never know what you might want to get into in the future and not having a science or business subject in the LC might be a barrier of entry for you.

Of all the science subjects I would say agricultural science is the easiest, very doable in a year. As I said I'm not scientifically minded. I did biology the fist time I sat the LC and I found agricultural science far easier. I went from a C3 in biology to a B1 in agricultural science.

Despite me being an arts/humanities person I thought classics was hard enough, it's not a walk over or handy subject as some people make it out to be. I got a D3 in it the first year I did and a C2 when I repeated. It's a mix of history, art history and English. It can be done in a year but not to be taken lightly.

I did economics in the space of a year. I got a C2 in it. It was my first ever business subject, I didn't even do JC business. I though it was fine even though business isn't where my interests are. Economics is the only LC business subject I have experience with but I found a lot of economics is just common sense. There are some calculations to do in economics but it is all just following formulas and sticking numbers in the right place. If you are strong with numbers you could always go with accounting as well.

Geography can be done in a year as well if you repeat. It's fairly straightforward.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to convince you. I provided the information and the alternatives are laid out above. You can make an informed decision based on that.

I ended up sitting 11 subjects for my leaving cert. Worked out like 15~ papers. Classical studies was one of the few subjects I genuinely found interesting. This was in part due to the mixed nature of the syllabus.

I outlined the syllabus - It is a mix of history, english and art and architecture but because it is such a mix it becomes it's own subject and requires very little indepth master of those disciplines. (Anecdote - out of my class of 12 in Classics , 6 went on to study law, 2 became Barristers this year and a further 2 have intentions to go to King's Inns next year)

Like I said, I'm not trying to sell you on this. There are a myriad of options out there. Classical studies is one.

ok no prob thanks for the info, ill look into it as there is no project which is good? would there be any books for it?

Advertisement