Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car boot sales

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I love carboot sales. I have done quite a few, just selling stuff I don't want from around the house. Clothes are really popular if they are priced right. On my best day I made over 300e.
    My friend though continues to tell me that I am losing loads of money by doing this as I would have paid alot more for the items new. But as I see it they are worth nothing sitting in attic gathering dust!

What???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    Thanks for that link.

Do the sellers just turn up and pay on the day? Only some of the sites have contact numbers.

Most places you just pay on the day. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

They're full of stolen gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Seen this on the CBS news a man bought a painting for 7 dollars, the frame even said Renoir on it. it turned out to be genuine and it is worth 100s of thousands.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=renoir%20found%20in%20a%20car%20boot%20sale&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Farticle.wn.com%2Fview%2F2012%2F09%2F09%2FLost_Renoir_painting_found_in_US_flea_market%2F&ei=js1QUKSEJ42yhAeI54HIAg&usg=AFQjCNF9DnH2o_fGU9NU2dNK0b_xv0zsZw
    Everything is possible, in this jumble of informal marketing: just last week, an American bought an oil painting for $7 (£5) at a flea market which turned out to be a Renoir. The Impressionist’s work is expected to fetch $100,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    Thanks for that link.

Do the sellers just turn up and pay on the day? Only some of the sites have contact numbers.

With any of the big markets you need to call and book your spot, then pay on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

tan11ie wrote: »
    With any of the big markets you need to call and book your spot, then pay on the day.
    Most places you just pay on the day. :)

Great. Thank you. Didn't want to turn up with a car load of gear only to drive it back home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bozna

Want to sell CDs in a car boot sale - does anyone know where would be a good place to sell them. Thinking of heading to Merchants one in East wall tomorrow and Clara on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

They're full of stolen gear.

I can attest to that. Spotted something that was whipped from me before at one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I can attest to that. Spotted something that was whipped from me before at one.

what was it?

recently i went to one selling and was robbed from. Some shagger decided to steal 1 shoe. They never came back for the 2nd one

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

eth0 wrote: »
    what was it?

recently i went to one selling and was robbed from. Some shagger decided to steal 1 shoe. They never came back for the 2nd one

Wasn't Jake The Peg was it? :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-itkO9ia8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

eth0 wrote: »
    what was it?

An enamel sign, it wasn't a great looking one but recognised it straight off.

Had it nailed up in a shed where we had an old Sierra, the oul fella allowed members of a certain ethnic group to take the car away but they helped themselves to things that were off the menu also :rolleyes: Never again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've gone to a couple here, but found nothing of interest for me. Seemed to be a lot of tat. I did see gaming stuff so if that was your bag I'd say you'd get some bargains once in a while alright. The ones in the UK had a much better selection of stuff among the tat. One in France I was at was unreal for all sorts of cool stuff. Comes the far larger populations involved of course, so more likely to see more out of the ordinary stuff. Plus they've been doing it for longer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

OU812 wrote: »
    North Dublin

I have heard that Balbriggan runs a car boot sale I think its on every Sunday and Fairyhouse but I think you have to book your car in for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

bozna wrote: »
    Want to sell CDs in a car boot sale - does anyone know where would be a good place to sell them. Thinking of heading to Merchants one in East wall tomorrow and Clara on Sunday.

If you've had anything stolen in the last 3 months, Clara is the place to find it alright.

bozna wrote: »
    Thinking of heading to Merchants one in East wall.

It's rubbish, if you're only selling a few bits and bobs you will be extremely lucky to get back the €30 you will pay for a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I thought car boot sales were a code word for pirated DVDs?

Some of those sales is like dumping the contents of your garden shed bin onto a bench and letting crusty auld ones poke through it in the hope of finding useless dirty treasure?

TheDriver wrote: »
    I thought car boot sales were a code word for pirated DVDs?

Some of those sales is like dumping the contents of your garden shed bin onto a bench and letting crusty auld ones poke through it in the hope of finding useless dirty treasure?

Yep lots do :D

Advertisement