Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car boot sales

Options
  • 14-08-2012 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Do you go to them? With the sh1te weather I only went to a couple of them this year but over the years I got a mighty amount of good deals from them and also managed to shift a whole load of shoite I don't use anymore out the house and come back with over 100e even on a bad day.

Usually get computer bits and pieces, cables and other electrical stuff from there (need to bring an inverter to test stuff, bought 8e worth of scrap one day) but generally have good luck. Got a UPS for 5e and another for 7. Batteries in them were shagged but working the best now. Routers that I installed linux on and messed around with for a bit then sold on ebay for a profit. Would stay away from most of the new stuff people would be flogging at these things as it tends to be the worst quality rubbish the Chinese communist party has to offer.

Nothing like finding a good bargain. If you see some ould biddy having a clear out, not a clue what any of the electronics are worth because they belong to her son in Aussie land yer nearly bound to get a bargain. Still hoping for a box of satellite phones some day - they look like 90's scrap but are actually worth a fortune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I like buying dead people's clothes and Steven Seagal films on VHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    I like buying dead people's clothes and Steven Seagal films on VHS.

Thats a dangerous combination :D

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Thats a dangerous combination :D

Wouldn't be surprised to find out Dead Man's Clothes is the name of a Steven Seagal film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

second hand stuff smells weird

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭listermint

eth0 wrote: »
    Do you go to them? With the sh1te weather I only went to a couple of them this year but over the years I got a mighty amount of good deals from them and also managed to shift a whole load of shoite I don't use anymore out the house and come back with over 100e even on a bad day.

Usually get computer bits and pieces, cables and other electrical stuff from there (need to bring an inverter to test stuff, bought 8e worth of scrap one day) but generally have good luck. Got a UPS for 5e and another for 7. Batteries in them were shagged but working the best now. Routers that I installed linux on and messed around with for a bit then sold on ebay for a profit. Would stay away from most of the new stuff people would be flogging at these things as it tends to be the worst quality rubbish the Chinese communist party has to offer.

Nothing like finding a good bargain. If you see some ould biddy having a clear out, not a clue what any of the electronics are worth because they belong to her son in Aussie land yer nearly bound to get a bargain. Still hoping for a box of satellite phones some day - they look like 90's scrap but are actually worth a fortune

Why would anyone have a box of satellite phones ?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

listermint wrote: »
    Maybe there's a group of people who collect satellite phones, like the way people collected phone cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

A lot of the time you'd find stuff there that belonged to a company that closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

No interest in them. I already have a car boot

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That is exactly what I was wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I use to go to them a lot in America where you would pick up good tools etc, most of the stuff here is just rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A lot of the time you'd find stuff there that belonged to a company that closed down

There are irish companies with an abundence of satellite phones ?

hmmm

There are irish companies with an abundence of satellite phones ?

hmmm

You just wouldn't know like. You'd be very surprised. Tis a fierce diverse place after when you think about it. There's a lot more than just a few farmers in culchie land and a few IT lads doing cloud computing (hate that term) in Dublin for multinationals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I went to one once and it was so ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I love carboot sales. I have done quite a few, just selling stuff I don't want from around the house. Clothes are really popular if they are priced right. On my best day I made over 300e.
    My friend though continues to tell me that I am losing loads of money by doing this as I would have paid alot more for the items new. But as I see it they are worth nothing sitting in attic gathering dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Pantsface wrote: »
    I went to one once and it was so ****

Good :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    I take it **** means what good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The uk have pretty good ones, the ones here usually have old clothes/toys/assorted crap nobody wants...cd racks, authentic reproduction antiques, tacky travel souvenirs. Anything that's half decent is overpriced.

In all the years going to them I only ever got one REALLY good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

IED enthusiast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I love carboot sales. I have done quite a few, just selling stuff I don't want from around the house. Clothes are really popular if they are priced right. On my best day I made over 300e.
    My friend though continues to tell me that I am losing loads of money by doing this as I would have paid alot more for the items new. But as I see it they are worth nothing sitting in attic gathering dust!

Where's good to sell? I have loads of DVDs & clothes I want rid of (as well as other stuff from the attic)

OU812 wrote: »
    Where's good to sell? I have loads of DVDs & clothes I want rid of (as well as other stuff from the attic)

What part the country you in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Anything sells - one man's (or woman's) junk is another's treasure! I have bought and sold at car boot sales on and off for the last 15+ years and would recommend them to anybody. Your best bet is to sell at the established sales rather than 'one-offs' as the latter don't get the numbers. If buying be prepared to sort through mountains of mind numbing dross in search of treasure - car boot sales are not for the faint hearted. :D

List here: http://collectireland.wordpress.com/car-boot-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

What part the country you in?

North Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Cassidy28 wrote: »

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

Got a Sega Mega Drive with like 14 games 3 controllers and all the wires. And one other sega mega drive without the wires for 20 euro!
    Got a NES for 5 quid with a load of classics like Castlevania. :)
    And countless dvd's (Yes i got a steven seagal one...no dead people clothes though) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So whats the deal with these car boot sales. You have to pay a fee to sell things on the day?

So whats the deal with these car boot sales. You have to pay a fee to sell things on the day?

yep the one i usually go to charges 8e for a car full of stuff and a bit more for a van i think.
    North Dublin

Dunno of any around there sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I was at one a few years ago. I nearly pissed myself when I saw one owl lad selling a Neo Geo. There were four games with it (Sam Showdown, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, Top Hunter). I offered him a tenner, sold mate! The poor fecker didn't realize how valuable it all was! I'd say when his kid realised what he had done there was some craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was at one a few years ago. I nearly pissed myself when I saw one owl lad selling a Neo Geo. There were four games with it (Sam Showdown, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, Top Hunter). I offered him a tenner, sold mate! The poor fecker didn't realize how valuable it all was! I'd say when his kid realised what he had done there was some craic!

Haha. Sweet!
    I reckon you can get quite the steal now and then. Especially when it comes to games.

And thats actually quite the weird thing about games :) Take an nes. Isn't worth alot. But a certain game could be worth loads. Its crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Anything sells - one man's (or woman's) junk is another's treasure! I have bought and sold at car boot sales on and off for the last 15+ years and would recommend them to anybody. Your best bet is to sell at the established sales rather than 'one-offs' as the latter don't get the numbers. If buying be prepared to sort through mountains of mind numbing dross in search of treasure - car boot sales are not for the faint hearted. :D

List here: http://collectireland.wordpress.com/car-boot-sales/

Thanks for that link.

Do the sellers just turn up and pay on the day? Only some of the sites have contact numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    No interest in them. I already have a car boot

And I've always had a second hand but it's not as coordinated as my other one. :P

Advertisement