Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 x Solar Garden Lights €3.82 in Tesco

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Damn you Paddy- damn you to helllllll!!!!!! :pac:

What can I say??

....."the early bird gets the worm"......:D

Heatons were selling them aswell

4 euro each or 2 for 7 euro.

joconnell wrote: »
    Apparently the solar ones light themselves up but don't actually illuminate the ground around them. Would love to do this without mains wiring but they don't seem to be there yet!

But thats the thing,solar garden lights are really aimed at just adding a nice touch to the garden.

If you wanted to do this.......you could add a PIR to your porch lights so that when you enter the garden the porch lights would activate as you walk or drive up the driveway.

This way the garden and drive way is illumated,as and when you need the light.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

paddy147 wrote: »
    But thats the thing,solar garden lights are really aimed at just adding a nice touch to the garden.

If you wanted to do this.......you could add a PIR to your porch lights so that when you enter the garden the porch lights would activate as you walk or drive up the driveway.

This way the garden and drive way is illumated,as and when you need the light.:)

Paddy What is the Range of your PIR . I would like it to activate my porch lights from the Gate which is about the the lenght of a transit van . Are they connected to your Up lights?. Im thinking i may need to wire the cable along my garden wall to hit people right at entrance

Paddy What is the Range of your PIR . I would like it to activate my porch lights from the Gate which is about the the lenght of a transit van . Are they connected to your Up lights?. Im thinking i may need to wire the cable along my garden wall to hit people right at entrance

Its a Robus outdoor PIR.
    Its 180 degree adjustable and it will activate from 10 meters away.The neighbour was setting it off at a 10 meter distance,so I adjusted it to 8 meters distance to save power and needless activations.

Its mains wired from the light switch inside the porch to the 1st porch light and then the 2nd porch lights is daisy chained off the 1st porch light.

I currently have it set at 8 meters distance.Very handy for when a car pulling into the driveway or lifting the shopping out of the car when its dark.

Also handy for being able to get the keys into the door,when you have a few bevvies and are rather "merry".;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

paddy, is it setup up so you must have the switch inside ON to power to PIR (which power the lights when triggered by someone walking up)

Or is the PIR constantly powered and switch just used to override the PIR if you want to leave the outside lights on?

Am wondering cause i want to do something similar to my outside lights.

I take it that robus pir has a dusk function to stop it being set off during daylight? and what sort of trigger time have you set on it (how long do the lights stay on for?)

Sorry for going off topic on this one, but nice little setup there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Seems you've become a bit of a sensation Paddy- how are you handling your new found adulation? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Access wrote: »
    paddy, is it setup up so you must have the switch inside ON to power to PIR (which power the lights when triggered by someone walking up)
    I've had a few so will tell how they worked, switch has to be on.
    Or is the PIR constantly powered and switch just used to override the PIR if you want to leave the outside lights on?

You can't leave the lights on. It'll come on when triggered and that's it.

Maybe theirs some uber expensive ones that'll do that, don't know.

I take it that robus pir has a dusk function to stop it being set off during daylight? and what sort of trigger time have you set on it (how long do the lights stay on for?)
    They won't come on during the day at all, even if you want them to, unless you fiddle with the settings. You set how long you want them to stay on for yourself.

Seems you've become a bit of a sensation Paddy- how are you handling your new found adulation? :D

Well the good people of Boards helped me out with alot of stuff when we were building the house so its only fair that I "try" to help people out too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

looked at the bollard ones in tesco nutgrove. 4 for 15 euros. they hadnt decreased, even brought it to the customer service desk and had a price check.

oh well

Yeah the porch light swtch is switched on ALWAYS.

The Robus has an adjutsable dusk/light setting,so you can adjust the PIR to come on at a what ever dusk/light setting you like.

Once the PIR senses the dusk setting you have set it to,it triggers the lights when the actual PIR senses movement from a person walking or driving within its range.

The lights can be set (via the PIR adjustable timer) to stay on for anything up to 10 minutes,once the PIR triggers the lights.

If you switch off and on the light switch inside the porch twice in a row then the PIR overrides itself and the porch lights will stay on for 8 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

If you switch off and on the light switch inside the porch twice in a row then the PIR overrides itself and the porch lights will stay on for 8 hours.
    Oh, mine never did that.

You can't leave the lights on. It'll come on when triggered and that's it.

Maybe theirs some uber expensive ones that'll do that, don't know.

With the Robus PIR,a double flick "off and on" of the light switch,and the porch lights will stay on for 8 hours.

Then after 8 hours the lights switch off and the Robus PIR goes back to its normal mode of dectecting and activating the lights,when someone triggers the PIR by entering its range.

I also have a 360 degree PIR on the side of the house that activates the lights down the side.

This is set to a 6 meter range in each direction.

Exact same setup as the porch lights and how they operate.

45 euro would pick you up a pair of porch lights with built in PIRs.

These are "Eclipse" and are pretty good ones (bought from Grange Electrical in Baldoyle)

Take off your existing/old porch lights,screw these new ones on,adjust the PIR setings on both of them,and thats it.

No need to run new wires anywhere.

An 11w B22 (screw cap) CFL bulb or else a 6w B22 (screw cap) LED bulb and toy will be fine for light.:)

Anyway.....sorry for straying off topic.

Just trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

With the Robus PIR,a double flick "off and on" of the light switch,and the porch lights will stay on for 8 hours.

Then after 8 hours the lights switch off and the Robus PIR goes back to its normal mode of dectecting and activating the lights,when someone triggers the PIR by entering its range.

Thats a nice feature as on weekends I like to leave porch lights on most of the night, Is there a particular model number on that robus PIR?
    My lights are robus too. I wonder does the PIR work on Dimmers as belive it or not i have my porch lights on dimmer switches lol Dont ask :rolleyes:
    Uplights are a nice feature actually.

Thats a nice feature as on weekends I like to leave porch lights on most of the night, Is there a particular model number on that robus PIR?
    My lights are robus too. I wonder does the PIR work on Dimmers as belive it or not i have my porch lights on dimmer switches lol Dont ask :rolleyes:
    Uplights are a nice feature actually.

Code is as follows.....

R180-01.......white coloured PIR

R180-04.......black coloured PIR

Any decent electrical wholesalers will have these,around 15-18 euro for 1.:)

See page 10 of the PDF link below.:)

http://www.led.ie/led/led/uploads/1538.pdf

The porch lights I have are "up and down" wall lights.Got them for 60 euro.I also installed 2 Philips Master 4w LED GU10s into each of them.

Advertisement