Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Katie Taylor beat an average man in a fight?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Boxing is probably the lowest skilled of mainstream combat arts. Im confident if a boxer came towards me throwing punches, that i could dip and take them down by their knees. Idiots would enter into a fist fight though which would be idiotic. I remember a boxer James Toney tried to enter into MMA and fought Randy Couture. He was a complete embarrassment.

Most fights are basically judo and wrestling

You are insane.

Boxers take punches harder than and kicker boxer can throw their foot and don't budge. the ONLY hope an MMA fighter would have against a world class boxer would be in the managed to take them down, and that would be insanely hard.

a 75kg boxer would be so much faster than a 75kg mma fighter that any time the mma guy came near the boxer, he'd be pummelled with punches before he could grab him.

Put Jose Aldo in a street fight with Mayweather Jr (both 65kg) and Aldo is going nowhere after it besides a fecking emergency room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Anyway, I'd err, let her win. This might just be me, but anyone else noticed she's a bit of a doll? Fine looking woman imoho.I'd wouldn't kick her out for geting crisps on the duvet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

scwazrh wrote: »
    When Katie decides shes had enough of fair fitting I think she should spend her time boxing the sh**e out of the many scumbags that think the're big lads hitting women .A sort of " jim will fix it " for all the women that suffer from domestic abuse , send Katie a letter and she could meet the bloke and sort the problem !

Frankie Boyle had the quite wonderful idea of setting her up on a date with Chris Brown.

Still has his moments, does Frankie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Seaneh wrote: »
    You are insane.

Boxers take punches harder than and kicker boxer can throw their foot and don't budge. the ONLY hope an MMA fighter would have against a world class boxer would be in the managed to take them down, and that would be insanely hard.

a 75kg boxer would be so much faster than a 75kg mma fighter that any time the mma guy came near the boxer, he'd be pummelled with punches before he could grab him.

Please, buddha, allah, krishna, baby jebus, make the man stop, please. The incorrect hurts so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You are insane.

Put Jose Aldo in a street fight with Mayweather Jr (both 65kg) and Aldo is going nowhere after it besides a fecking emergency room!

Sorry, but that is just pure ignorance. Jose Aldo would have Floyd Mayweather on his arse in about 10 seconds and he would be tapping out soon enough after. Im a big Mayweather fan but any top level boxer would be murdered against a decent MMA fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

14 stone? Whats wrong with you people? :L
    And she'd kick the.head off me. That's for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Im confident if a boxer came towards me throwing punches, that i could dip and take them down by their knees.
    I despair when people talk about what boxers they could 'take' on the internet.

Try it and report back. Post the video up. Then we'll talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

You are insane.

Watch Royce Gracie V Art Jimmerson or Randy Couture V James Toney and you'll see how easy it can be for skilled grapplers to takedown, control and submit skilled boxers. Jose Aldo V Mayweather would follow a similar fashion. The only way to defend against grapplers is to become a grappler.

Katie Taylor is a world class boxer. The average man has never trained in a combat sport, so advantage Katie... Unless she's up against André the Giant or something I guess :o

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Depends who she's fighting, taking this as outside the ring, no rules just pure dirt and 14st is heavy enough.
    Bursted ear drums and kicks to the groin anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Of all the blokes in here who think that their size & weight would be enough to beat Taylor in a fight - either in or out of the ring - I guarantee that given the opportunity, there is not one that would even dare risk trying to prove that they are right.

Not one fucking chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

strobe wrote: »
    In the ring? She'd absolutely annihilate them. Out of the ring, the size, strength and weight difference would mean all the man would have to do is shoulder charge her to the ground,
    That's complete nonsense, a shoulder charge? He might as well send her a letter stating what he's going to do.
    You are insane.

Boxers don't stand a chance against a well rounded MMA fighter. Boxing is a discipline within MMA, they do a lot of boxing training it's a fundamental part of the sport. They have to adapt that boxing to take in the possibility of kicks and take downs. In Katies gold medal fight look how many times she and her opponent held onto each other. As soon as she did that in an MMA fight she'd be on the ground and beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I do think people are talking as if Taylor's only skill is in the actual punching. Aside from any argument about just how technical boxing can be, don't forget, the woman is an exceptional athlete even beyond that discipline. She's reknowned for her speed and reflexes, it's not just a matter of whether she can absorb or dispense more punches. If you've seen any of the many, many stirringly soundtrack slo mo montages we've seen over the last week, you know she's got some mad Matrix bullet time shizz going for her, so landing a box in the first place isn't even guaranteed. She wouldn't just wreck Joe Soap, she'd make him look silly in the process.

tl;dr - I wouldn't spill her non-alcoholic beverage of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Speed kills. Got to be able to touch them to hurt them. The thought of some fat geebag trying to shoulder-charge someone as fast as Taylor in some stupid imaginary brawl has me grinning. That hypothetical moron would be going home wearing his own arse for a hat.

Ah jasus, knock off the fighting talk crap. Is she hot or not? Stick to the important stuff, will ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She's reknowned for her speed and reflexes,
    Boxing is mostly speed and reflexes, especially amateur. Even pro boxing fights tend to go the distance and the winner is decided on points. It's all about who can land accurate punches where the front of the glove hits the opponent (if you hit the opponent with anything other than the front of the glove you don't score points), so being able to avoid the opponents punch and hit them makes you a winner it doesn't really matter how hard you hit them.

later12 wrote: »
    I despair when people talk about what boxers they could 'take' on the internet.

Try it and report back. Post the video up. Then we'll talk.

I fully agree with you but if a prized boxer were to enter a fight with me, there is no way i would stand up against them. I would go straight to the knees for a take down and they would want to stand up. I know full well if a proper boxer punched me it would be lights out but would not let it get that way.

the average boxer would batter a novice like me. But an experience MMA fighter would destroy any boxer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

yea shes an animal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

As a professionally trained ninja I've discovered many techniques on the internet that would guarantee victory over those trained in 'unskilled' combat arts such as boxing...

The MMA Fighter V The Boxer. Its simply an embarrassment. The boxer is on his arse after 15 seconds

But an experience MMA fighter would destroy any boxer
    Ok; I don't know if that's true, but what does it even mean?

I mean they are totally different sports.

It's like saying "Ryan Lochte would totally kick Alan Campbell's arse in swimming".

"Katie Taylor could totally take Sonia O'Sullivan".

True, but totally irrelevant. Amateur boxing is very different to mixed martial arts... and thank goodness for that.

• Advertisement

later12 wrote: »
    Ok; I don't know if that's true, but what does it even mean?

I mean they are totally different sports.

It's like saying "Ryan Lochte would totally kick Alan Campbell's arse in swimming".

"Katie Taylor could totally take Sonia O'Sullivan".

True, but totally irrelevant. Amateur boxing is very different to mixed martial arts... and thank goodness for that.

A poster said that Mayweather would beat a similar sized rival in MMA. I vehemently disagree with his point so used the MMA Fighter V Boxer example.

Even The Great Floyd Mayweather would agree that his MMA sized compatriots would beat him in a full fight. My point in general is that boxers can only do one thing, and that is stand up and punch. When its taken to the ground, its a different sport to them.

kowloon wrote: »
    As a professionally trained ninja I've discovered many techniques on the internet that would guarantee victory over those trained in 'unskilled' combat arts such as boxing...
    :D Larf, thy name is Kowloon.:D Funny fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I'd be worried if she couldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Thread is way off track. Long story short...

Average Joe vs Athlete in peak physical condition = Athlete wins

Average Joe vs Athlete in peak physical condition who trains martial arts = Athlete absolutely wipes the floor with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

ScumLord wrote: »
    Boxing is mostly speed and reflexes, especially amateur. Even pro boxing fights tend to go the distance and the winner is decided on points. It's all about who can land accurate punches where the front of the glove hits the opponent (if you hit the opponent with anything other than the front of the glove you don't score points), so being able to avoid the opponents punch and hit them makes you a winner it doesn't really matter how hard you hit them.

And punching people

A poster said that Mayweather would beat a similar sized rival in MMA.
    Ok fair enough.

In MMA.. ok.
    In boxing, I'm sure it would be different.

I am sure there are lots of sports in which Katie Taylor could be beaten, from synchronised swimming to netball to BMX; I'm not sure why people need to compare her to MMA fighters just because they're vaguely similar sports, albeit with vastly different rules & mental & physical requirements.

Anyway my apologies, I didn't know you were responding to that specific scenario, which seems a reasonable point to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Maybe but could she beat a Duck sized Horse or ten Duck sized Horses?

In seriousness though would the fact that she's an amateur boxer not mean she wouldn't be as conditioned to take and inflict 'damage' as a Pro Boxer would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

In seriousness though would the fact that she's an amateur boxer not mean she wouldn't be as conditioned to take and inflict 'damage' as a Pro Boxer would be.

Not in the slightest, it just means she has stayed amateur so that she can compete in the olypmics.
    She would train just as hard as any professional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

LOL at some of the flutes on this thread. Lads, if you fancy your chances in the ring against her, why not head down to her gym in Bray and spar with her?

Make sure you have health insurance.

You are wrong. An MMA fighter would put a boxer asleep within 20-30 seconds. No question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

IrishAm wrote: »
    LOL at some of the flutes on this thread. Lads, if you fancy your chances in the ring against her, why not head down to her gym in Bray and spar with her?

Make sure you have health insurance.

You are wrong. An MMA fighter would put a boxer asleep within 20-30 seconds. No question.

MMA is fairly boring alright...

Advertisement