Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IF my ass

• 10-08-2012 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Well yesterday I decided to start an IF diet. The plan was to have breakfast at 08:00 and then nothing until 08:00 the following day.

Well that was yesterday so I started eating again at 08:00 this morning. I have never felt so shit in my life. Yesterday i didn't feel too bad, quite hungry at times. When I went to sleep I kept waking up in terrible pain with stomach and when I got out of bed i nearly fainted and could nearly make to to the breakfast table. Absolute nightmare.

Its now early afternoon now and Ive eaten a **** load and feel human again.

Has anyone here actually done this for more than one day??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Yesterday I decided to run a marathon. Did 25 miles today. Feel like **** now. Has anyone actually done one of these things?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Well yesterday I decided to start an IF diet. The plan was to have breakfast at 08:00 and then nothing until 08:00 the following day.

Well that was yesterday so I started eating again at 08:00 this morning. I have never felt so shit in my life. Yesterday i didn't feel too bad, quite hungry at times. When I went to sleep I kept waking up in terrible pain with stomach and when I got out of bed i nearly fainted and could nearly make to to the breakfast table. Absolute nightmare.

Its now early afternoon now and Ive eaten a **** load and feel human again.

Has anyone here actually done this for more than one day??

There a good few here doing it. Im doing it 5/6 weeks n find it way easier than the way I used to eat.

So did you fast for 24hours, 8am to 8am?? If so why?? IF doesn't say start doing 24 hours fasts on your first day. 16 hr fast and 8 hr eating window is recommended by Leangains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

May be easier to setup your 24h fast by eating in the evening, e.g. today at 8pm finish eating, eat again tomorrow evening at 8pm.

i find it pretty much nothing to go from eating at 8pm to nothing until 12.30 or 1pm the next day
    maybe you should start off with that, then have your lunch meal a bit later over time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

it MAY have been in your head that it wasnt going to work!!

ONE day, eat breakfast, fast for the day but wake up in the night with "terrible" pains!!

Ive not been able to eat some days due to travelling and stuff like that, wouldnt ever be rolling around in pain!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

It sounds like you did too much too suddenly.
    I've been doing IF since January of this year and haven't looked back. First I started with eating the same amount everyday but only between 13:00 and 21:00 and then later when I properly figured it out I was doing the alternating calories (high, low depending on training).

IF ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

bluewolf wrote: »
    i find it pretty much nothing to go from eating at 8pm to nothing until 12.30 or 1pm the next day
    maybe you should start off with that, then have your lunch meal a bit later over time

I've been doing this for years unknowingly! Usually never eat breakfast and generally don't have time to eat till about 1pm on my lunchbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

It sounds like you put a lot of thought into this, perhaps too much. fait accompli.

I find this works for me. Why not try and fit it into your routine. have your last meal around 7pm. then bed, skip the breakfast apart from the black coffee, green tea, occupy lunch by going for a walk or attend a meeting, go for a run. head home after work. take your time to prepare a meal and hey its 7pm again.

I use this as its less intensive and not psychologically as difficult(well for me anyway) as for training, well did this tuesday, trained tuesday evening. 45 mins lifts, the usual Squat, BP, DL and mil press, followed by 45 mins on the ergometer, no issues. though hard not to reach for the obligatory protein shake after, lots of water.

On the other hand the other half thinks I'm nuts, (probably right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Why not just eat healthily when you're hungry, drink lots of water and do some exercise everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

I'm sticking with a 1pm - 5pm eating window to get in my calories. 5pm to bed is easy - wake up go to work easy, break fast at 1pm and start again.

Its not that hard. OP 8am -8pm sounds a bit harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Eating your Whole calorie intake at 08.00 in the morning when you wake up? Did you even read up about IF before doing it? No wonder you feel crap. I wish when people decide to hop aboard an eating plan that they at least do a tiny bit of research before jumping both feet in and then slagging it off because they have no idea what they are doing.

K4t wrote: »
    Why not just eat healthily when you're hungry, drink lots of water and do some exercise everyday?

IF is supposed to have good overall health benefits is why

when done properly anyway not like OP

MINIMUM 5 hour window for eating.

Some guy wrote a big article lately debunking IF.

Hes a fitness instructor/PT, said one of his clients was told to eat 500g of fat at one sitting on the IF diet....

Some amount of bull**** being thrown around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bluewolf wrote: »
    IF is supposed to have good overall health benefits is why

when done properly anyway not like OP
    So does what I said. Proven benefits over hundreds of years and much harder to go off track. My way is too simple though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Fairly sure you'll just end up slowing your metabolism and reduce your capability to burn calories faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Hanley wrote: »
    Yesterday I decided to run a marathon. Did 25 miles today. Feel like **** now. Has anyone actually done one of these things?!?

You'd want to shut your fucking mouth pal.

Dude, eat some food. Might make you less cranky :)

Hes a fitness instructor/PT, said one of his clients was told to eat 500g of fat at one sitting on the IF diet....

I don't believe that even for one second.

Sure it wasn't 500kcals worth of fat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dermighty wrote: »
    Fairly sure you'll just end up slowing your metabolism and reduce your capability to burn calories faster.

Metabolism will slow down if you are in a constantly in calorie deficit. That is why most diets advocate a diet break or refeed system. Most forms of IF are calorie cycling so shouldn't be an issue.

So does what I said. Proven benefits over hundreds of years and much harder to go off track. My way is too simple though I suppose.

So you do your way and we'll do our way, problem solved

• Advertisement

I suspect you don't really know much about the topic at hand. When you are trying to cut weight have a go at 16/8 and watch how easy it is to stick to your deficit with an 8 hour window.
    Dermighty wrote: »

10 years ago called, they want their myth back.

If some guy wrote a big article I don't see why you haven't posted it? 500g of fat in one sitting, seriously use your loaf for a second and think about that.

Silly season has well and truly begun. IF isn't some stringent diet protocol, it's not like your told what to eat. You try out some different types 16/8 or 20/4 etc and if you function well on it and see results you stick with it, if you don't then do what you did before. There are many ways to skin a cat, and now i know 3 of them.

If you are going to do it/comment about it though at least have a clue about it.

anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Link to article?
    The way I see it, IF is becoming more and more popular. Like anything there will be idiots advocating it and telling people stupid things because they themselves haven't a clue. Then there will be informed people, you just have to make your own mind up.
    If I wrote an article on debunking squats as being the devil's exercise, it wouldn't necessarily make it true now would it :D

ferike1 wrote: »
    If I wrote an article on debunking squats as being the devil's exercise, it wouldn't necessarily make it true now would it :D

I can't believe Mike Boyle is posting on boards!!

This is a reference I don't understand :D

Is that a new record for you Hanley? Someone telling you to shut the fsck up after one post? lol

"Each night, this joker – I kid you not – was eating an astronomical 576g of fat and 6,454 calories for dinner!"

actually 576g of fat lol

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=551

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

"Each night, this joker – I kid you not – was eating an astronomical 576g of fat and 6,454 calories for dinner!"

actually 576g of fat lol

We may as well call Adam Richman a IFer ;)the guy's workouts didn't even look that intense and he was eating over 6000 calories? That's ridiculous but if he spread them over 12 hours its still ridiculous.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

MD duly sanctioned for being cranky. No more asshattery the rest of ya, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

actually 576g of fat lol

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=551
    But that's not a debunking if IF in any shape or form. It's just a guy who's eating a ridiculous amount not a guy following IF.

"Why Intermittent Fasting Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up To Be"

Thats the name of the article.

Its a guy trying to debunk IF, giving that guy as an example.

Obviously that guy is doing it wrong, and whoever "taught" him if was dangerously mistaken.

Doesn't seem like anybody taught him to eat 6,500 calories though

"This guy, like so many others, had been spending way too much time on the Internet and, via a process of passive mental osmosis, had embraced some rather idiotic dietary theories from the forums and websites he was frequenting"

Must have been reading retarded articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

there has been a fair few IF threads on here the last while so random people are probably jumping into it probably including the OP

everyone should know its not for everyone and start off slowly and see if it works for them.

personally i find it very positive, i think one of the main positives is i was eating too late and and also sometimes over-eating. i find i dont crave food as much and its boosted weight-loss on top of working out and eating healthy of course

too much drinking and not eating great the last week..straight back to healthy living from today :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

op, you probably didn't eat enough calories for breakfast plus it takes some time to ajust your body to burning fat as opposed to burning glycogen. give yourself a least 2 weeks to adjust. i did it for 4 months and it gets easier.

i started back doing it again last week. i fast 20 hours a day and eat from 8-12pm. i ate 3500 calories or so last night in the 4 hour eating period and i feel like im still losing weight. Although, I normally consume between 2000-2500 in a sitting.

i stumbled across one athlete that practiced it before Nolan Shaheed, seems like he was a long distance runner or something. I can remember watching a programme on Bernard Dunne a couple of years ago where he was eating like one meal a day as part of his regime. Forget which one it was though.
    General Stanley McChrystal of the US military was also reported eating in a similar fashion. Its food for thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Hi,
    Seen a few of these IF threads, so have read a bit about it, including the leangains website. I still can't seem to get the logic behind how the fasting helps lose weight? Could someone explain it please?
    Leangains mentions at one point how it doesn't matter the timing of when you eat, that x calories are x calories. It seems to focus moreso on the fact that people get hungry an hour or two after breakfast, and that this is countered via the IF diet. Personally I don't get this hunger issue as I wake up hungry, eat a nice big bowel of porridge and that keeps me going til lunch time. So don't see the benefit in my case of waiting for "breakfast" til 1pm.

The second main point I can get from reading about it, is the lower calorie consumption on non-exercise days, which does make sense to me.
    Basically, I don't understand the logic behind how/why it works...
    Thanks
    Simon

TKD SC wrote: »
    Hi,
    Seen a few of these IF threads, so have read a bit about it, including the leangains website. I still can't seem to get the logic behind how the fasting helps lose weight? Could someone explain it please?
    Leangains mentions at one point how it doesn't matter the timing of when you eat, that x calories are x calories. It seems to focus moreso on the fact that people get hungry an hour or two after breakfast, and that this is countered via the IF diet. Personally I don't get this hunger issue as I wake up hungry, eat a nice big bowel of porridge and that keeps me going til lunch time. So don't see the benefit in my case of waiting for "breakfast" til 1pm.

The second main point I can get from reading about it, is the lower calorie consumption on non-exercise days, which does make sense to me.
    Thanks
    Simon

I'd be interested in this too.

Is there some actual metabolic advantage to IF, if so, is it significant?

Or is it just the case that it helps diet adherence? If that's all it does, then that's perfectly gravy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am not going to pretend I get it fully either to bee honest but....

I think the answer in short is we are designed to go without food for long periods of time. Hunger is good for you, makes your body do all sorts of good stuff from rejuvenating damaged cells rather than producing new ones ( anti ageing supposedly ) to handling sugar in your bloodstream and cholesterol better.
    It also appears from lab tests also that animals prone to alzheimer's could live almost 50% longer if they ate a calorie restricted diet ( or went hungry every once in a while ) rather than over eating.

very simplistic but I think it all sounds good to me for not so much effort.

also the idea that when youre in a fasted state your body is going to have to get its energy from somewhere.....Fat stores

also the idea that when youre in a fasted state your body is going to have to get its energy from somewhere.....Fat stores

That's my understanding of it too, particularly training in a fasted state the body uses fat for energy, I could be totally wrong.

When I first researched it, I thought theres no way I could possibly do it so I adopted the "ah fcuk it hypothesis" (sure fcuk it, I'll have a go and see what happens).

• Advertisement

From what I gather is that your body enters into fat burning mode (or ketosis) while in a fasted state. Your body uses fat as its primary source of fuel as opposed to glucose.

paky wrote: »
    From what I gather is that your body enters into fat burning mode (or ketosis) while in a fasted state. Your body uses fat as its primary source of fuel as opposed to glucose.

That's called a calorie deficit and happens on any sensible diet. It's not unique to IF.

TKD SC wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    Simon

Sitting at home all day today so I've spent most of the day reading everything on leangains site and trying to get my head around it. This is what I found. Am not sure if it answers your question but have a read and see what you think. I've only copied some of it you can find more here http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html

Intermittent fasting and stubborn fat loss

How can intermittent fasting then selectively target stubborn body fat more effectively than other diets? Well, to target stubborn body fat we need to activate b2-receptors while deactivating a2-receptors. Intermittent fasting achieves this by the following mechanisms.

1. Fasting increases catecholamine levels.

2. Fasting increases abdominal subcutaneous blood flow, which means that catecholamines will have an easier time reaching those hard-to-get areas.

3. The low insulin level reached during the fast inhibits a2-receptors. A greater time spent in the low insulin state equals a greater time spent in a state where fat can be mobilized from stubborn areas. Now you're probably thinking "why not just go on a low carb diet" to keep insulin low, but keep in mind that triglycerides inhibit HSL in a similar manner as insulin.

4. My research has indicated that the ideal state of fat burning is reached after 12-18 hours of fasting. Coupled with high levels of catecholamines, increased blood flow to stubborn regions, and low insulin for a2-receptor inhibition, this time interval is the "golden age" of stubborn fat mobilization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Sorry to jump in here but just a quick one. I've been looking into the health benefits of fasting myself recently and tried a 24 hour fast last week. like others, I'll generally have a dinner and not eat till lunch anyway so just did a 1pm to 1pm fast with no relative discomfort.

But I just want to clear up, that what I'm doing wouldn't be considered IF as I believe thats more along the lines of you pick 6 hours a day and eat your fill for those hours and don't eat the other 18, and you do this EVERY day as opposed to me fasting 1 day a week (so far).

Sorry about noobish question, just trying to get to grips with all this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

RedXIV wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here but just a quick one. I've been looking into the health benefits of fasting myself recently and tried a 24 hour fast last week. like others, I'll generally have a dinner and not eat till lunch anyway so just did a 1pm to 1pm fast with no relative discomfort.

But I just want to clear up, that what I'm doing wouldn't be considered IF as I believe thats more along the lines of you pick 6 hours a day and eat your fill for those hours and don't eat the other 18, and you do this EVERY day as opposed to me fasting 1 day a week (so far).

Sorry about noobish question, just trying to get to grips with all this :)

nope, you fasted then stopped => you did IF !

If you watch the youtube video ( link earlier in thread ) you'll get a much better understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

RobAMerc wrote: »
    nope, you fasted then stopped => you did IF !

If you watch the youtube video ( link earlier in thread ) you'll get a much better understanding.

Awesome, Cheers!

I came across these IF FAQ's, some people might find it helpful.

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/01/frequently-asked-questions/

Edit: Is it worth making a sticky?

That's called a calorie deficit and happens on any sensible diet. It's not unique to IF.

And you felt the need to tell me that because?

paky wrote: »
    And you felt the need to tell me that because?

Because it doesn't answer the "why does IF work" question, because what you said happens with any diet.

Because it doesn't answer the "why does IF work" question, because what you said happens with any diet.

Calorie restriction isn't a requirement of IF?

• Advertisement
Advertisement