Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are atheists as irratating as born again christians?

Options
  • 10-08-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

is it just me or are strident atheists as boring, arrogant and irratating as a zealot of any religion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OMG YES!! FINALLY SOMEONE SAYS WHAT WE'VE ALL BEEN THINKING!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's just you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's just you.

I don't know any atheists who spend their time telling people all about how there's no God.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes they are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

is it just me or are strident atheists as boring, arrogant and irratating as a zealot of any religion?
    Couldn't say, haven't met any.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

thread in "some people are irritating regardless of creed" shocker

news at 11

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

216472.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

atheists.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The worst atheists sound arrogant. The worst fundamentalists are either overbearingly condescending, false and unctuous, or worse, ravingly hateful and vicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Only the ones who are irritating,there seems to be a few diehard atheists who can be wind up merchants or critical to some and funny to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Zillah wrote: »
    The worst atheists sound arrogant. The worst fundamentalists are either overbearingly condescending, false and unctuous, or worse, ravingly hateful and vicious.

That's the thing. Even an arrogant irritating atheist isn't likely to picket funerals, stone women to death or blow himself up in a crowded marketplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

I'd say that in the last few years a Richard Dawkins inspired OTT preaching atheism has become common, that is on a par with the most annoying door knocking, bible bashing christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yeah, who do those atheists think they are, preaching on street corners, knocking on doors and filling your letter box with sh*tty pamphlets? Not to mention all the deaths they publicly call for, the wars they start, the utter disregard they have for women, gays, single parents, foreigners and religious people! And don't even get me started on the radical atheists who blow up churches and bible groups.

Bloody atheists. They're always doing that sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

bhamsteve wrote: »
    I'd say that in the last few years a Richard Dawkins inspired OTT preaching atheism has become common, that is on a par with the most annoying door knocking, bible bashing christian.

Do atheists knock on people's doors preaching how there is no God?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

bhamsteve wrote: »

Can you give examples of the preaching atheism on par with door knocking, bible bashing Christians that you speak of?

Funnily enough I was talking to a workmate's teenage son the other day. He is moving to the States shortly and I asked him if he was nervous about the move. His response: "Not really. i just hope I don't run into any of that born again sh/t."

I have never seen a public display of atheists handing out pamphlets or booklets etc

I have to be honest on that one.

• Moderators Posts: 51,751 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Galvasean wrote: »
    Do atheists knock on people's doors preaching how there is no God?

Well, now I know what my plan for the weekend is.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Well, now I know what my plan for the weekend is.

"Excuse me sir, have you heard the bad news?"

And what about atheists publicly calling for horrible things to happen religious people, Northclare? Or publicly humiliating or condemning a single parent, or someone who's gay? Or telling the world that such people are a danger to society and civilisation itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Evangelical athiests, sure you always see them out during the march for apathy.

koth wrote: »

Only the ones that don't lube up before all that sodomy they engage in to bring about the downfall of society.

I'm not Religious Sarky ;)

Sarky calm down your ok I know where your coming from,I don't like that **** either.

A lot of people seem to think people like Richard Dawkins are shrill, arrogant, intolerant etc. That doesn't make sense.

First of all, fundamentally, not all ideas are equally valid. The religious claim there is a god but they present no evidence. As such, it is not reasonable and just because more people believe it than in (for example) unicorns, doesn't mean it should be criticised or ridiculed any less. Theism is just a bad idea - end of.

The claim is accepted by the majority of the world's population. As such, it has obvious consequences on people's actions and world affairs. Militant religiosity is known to everyone: suicide bombings, honour killings, genital mutilation, totalitarianism and the subjugation of women. We all know what the religious are up to in the West, as well.

The 'new atheist' movement simply disagree. To demonstrate their opposition, they write books, give talks and engage in debate. Oh no! Militant atheism!

If I pass the GPO on O'Connell Street and there is some loon on a soapbox, preaching about Jesus, I ignore him. But would it make me arrogant to challenge him? No. Everyone has to listen to the religious spew their disgusting, hateful, barbaric delusions, so I have every right to criticise their ideas.

'Militant atheism' is a pejorative invented by people who are just too afraid to challenge religion and believe that it's mean to do so.

The 'new atheist' movement simply disagree. To demonstrate their opposition, they write books, give talks and engage in debate. Oh no! Militant atheism!

old-atheists-vs-new-atheists-600x334.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Are some atheists as irritating as some born again Christians?
    Yes.

Though I'm not sure you realistically assume personality characteristics apply universally to large groups of people in manner you propose with your question.

I love cartoon time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Strident atheists? Yes.

Normal atheists? No.

Advertisement