Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor wins gold!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

clsmooth wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to Katie receiving her gold and Amhran Na BhFiann being played loud and proud??! :D

The picture is not great quality, but the content is the best you can get!
    Well done Katie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUe_nVvgaT0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone got a link to the fight, i missed it yesterday because of the time difference in Auz. Would love to watch it. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

you're aware this is the same Russian fighter who made some appalling pre-fight comments??? Amongst them an accusation of bias towards Taylor "she has a 10 point lead before she steps into the ring". Not only that she did the Ali shuffle during the fight and held her hand aloft for a good 30 seconds at the verdict. Hardly a shining beacon of sportsmanship or respect.

It's not triumphalism to take extra pleasure as a fan in Katie defeating a disrespectful opponent.
    Perhaps not, but do we not owe a woman who has reached an olympic boxing final some respect? And all the stuff we saw her do and heard her say reflect on her and her standing as a sportswoman. Why should the victor or her supporters allow themselves to be drawn to that level of discourse or behaviour? Over the years at football, rugby, boxing, etc we have time out of number proven ourselves to be the best fans and the best supporters in the world. We, the Irish, made that boxing arena ours and fired it with an atmosphere that will never be forgotten, according to the people who were there. Why taint that with a few careless remarks on the biggest web-site in the country?

I have followed Katie's career for the last 15 years with awe and admiration and I have been singularly impressed by the respect and professionalism she affords opponents. fans, media, etc. She has proven herself time and again to be more than a mere cut above the rest, she towers over them IMHO. I think true fans owe it to her to rise above the ugly gamesmanship, drama-queen nonsense and insulting remarks made about her just as she does.

Well done Katie, this isn't the sort of stuff I expected to be typing on the night of your magnificent and well-earned if narrow Olympic victory, but I feel I owe it to you and your supporters not to allow other people's behaviour to tarnish your win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

mathepac wrote: »
    Perhaps not, but do we not owe a woman who has reached an olympic boxing final some respect? And all the stuff we saw her do and heard her say reflect on her and her standing as a sportswoman. Why should the victor or her supporters allow themselves to be drawn to that level of discourse or behaviour? Over the years at football, rugby, boxing, etc we have time out of number proven ourselves to be the best fans and the best supporters in the world. We, the Irish, made that boxing arena ours and fired it with an atmosphere that will never be forgotten, according to the people who were there. Why taint that with a few careless remarks on the biggest web-site in the country?

I have followed Katie's career for the last 15 years with awe and admiration and I have been singularly impressed by the respect and professionalism she affords opponents. fans, media, etc. She has proven herself time and again to be more than a mere cut above the rest, she towers over them IMHO. I think true fans owe it to her to rise above the ugly gamesmanship, drama-queen nonsense and insulting remarks made about her just as she does.

Well done Katie, this isn't the sort of stuff I expected to be typing on the night of your magnificent and well-earned if narrow Olympic victory, but I feel I owe it to you and your supporters not to allow other people's behaviour to tarnish your win.

Ah Jesus, get over yourself.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, get over yourself.
    Wonderful contribution, very articulate and on-topic, advances the discussion and celebration immeasurably. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone think the Russian won?

Thought it was a draw myself, 4-1 in the third was way off.

Happy for Taylor but the hysteria on RTE is doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

corny wrote: »
    Thought it was a draw myself, 4-1 in the third was way off.

Happy for Taylor but the hysteria on RTE is doing my head in.

personally I had her up by 1 after 1st, draw after 2nd and 2 up after the 3rd, the last round I thought was lost by 1 and possibly 2, my feeling was she won by 1 point, but even if it had gone to countback I have no doubt Katie would have won that as she threw much more than her opponent.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

amazing win. this picture is incredible, featured in the NY times!TAYLOR-articleLarge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bogmanstar

Don’t be surprised by the Russian’s lack of manners or respect towards a small country at the medal ceremony. I’ve travelled a lot around the world and, maybe I’ve just been unusually unlucky in that I’ve mainly encountered rude Russians, but in my repeated direct personal experience over many years, Russians abroad tend to have noticeably less manners than anyone else. I’ve seen this arrogance and ignorance in restaurants in Dublin (bad-tempered fussy Russian businessmen bullying scared Polish waiters), in bullet trains on Tokyo; on streets in Vietnam, in European ski resorts etc. In Japan, ashamed as a fellow white person of the appalling treatment meted out to a heroically-patient and polite Japanese train attendant by a blinged-up hard faced Russian mafia moll with a diamond-encrusted mobile phone, yakking loudly in the “silence” carriage, that I learned the Japanese for “we’re not Russian”. They are surly to each other at home; and see no reason to change this when abroad. http://waytorussia.net/TalkLounge/conversation7018.html “The Russians have also developed a reputation for being rude and intolerant of other guests.” http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1574068/Ski-resorts-set-quotas-for-rude-Russians.html It’s also partly cultural – smiling is frowned upon: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-26808.html
    The Russian’s silly comments about Ireland bribing all the world’s boxing judges reveal her Russian mindset; that’s exactly what would happen in Russia, a corrupt and vicious country ran by a vain little KGB thug. The Russians have an attitude of contempt for smaller countries; she’ll not have been impressed at being beaten by someone from a tiny country like Ireland.
    Russian art and literature and music are among the finest the world has even seen; but they know little about everyday manners or ethics; we’re lucky we don’t live next door to them.
    Amateur boxing hard to call if you used to watching pro contests. A blow landed, even a punishing one, counts for nothing if it’s with the wrong part of the glove. I thought Taylor should have been a few points further ahead, couldn’t understand how they called the first one 2-2. Did you ever see a more negative fighter than the Russian? Always on the back foot, looking to counter. You get away with that sort of negative safety-first backwards boxing in amateur, where it’s all about the points, but in pro world, lack of aggression counts against you. I’ve been watching boxing for long time – after the first round, I was amazed that the Russian was even level; after the 3rd round, the judges got it right, the Russian lost it significantly; the last round was very close but the Russian certainly did not do anything close to enough that would have over-turned her deficit from the previous round. The only time the Russian ‘beat’ Taylor was in some bent decision in dodgy E Europe, the former sporting cheating/doping capital of the world before the Chinese took over; at the worlds recently and now at Olympics, well the Russian’s lost on both times, within a few months of each other; take your beatings. Also very 2-faced – “smiling” at Taylor after the fight and then reverting to bitching afterwards. Contrast between her and Taylor’s graciousness is very marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What did the Russian say after the fight? Anyway it does'nt really matter, the contrast between their respective behaviour, just shows what a classy lady Katie Taylor is. The Russian obviously has no self- awareness or humility in her.
    Accepting defeat with a bit of dignity doesn't mean you are a loser - someone who is content with defeat, all it means is you have manners and respect for your opponent. The English girl, who lost to Katie in the semi-final, underlined this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Best of it from around the 17th minute on!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/player/332882/?autoplay=1

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What did the Russian say after the fight? Anyway it does'nt really matter, the contrast between their respective behaviour, just shows what a classy lady Katie Taylor is. The Russian obviously has no self- awareness or humility in her.
    Accepting defeat with a bit of dignity doesn't mean you are a loser - someone who is content with defeat, all it means is you have manners and respect for your opponent. The English girl, who lost to Katie in the semi-final, underlined this.

Spot on. This garbage that being a sore loser is a sign of a winner is crap. Nobody has to be cheering and celebrating if they lose, but a sore loser is something I can't take. That is what Ochigava displayed. And pre fight she displayed a bad competitor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Same thing as before the fight really.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0809/1224321876742.html
    The Russian lightweight, who yesterday claimed the judges would favour Taylor in the second women's final of the day, said today that as far as she was concerned it was the same old story.

"As usual they tried their best to let the Irish win," she told reporters, "the judges as usual corrected the scores in her favour just as they did during the world championships to let Katie win"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Obviously like the whole country I'm very happy for Katie Taylor.

But the following quote from one of her interviews annoys the **** out of me:

"I dreamt of this moment so many times before and now I just can't believe the grace of God in my life right now,” she told RTÉ. “I just want to thank everyone for all their prayers. I said it yesterday, as well, with all the prayers over the last week. I'd be nothing without God.

I don't know why it annoys me but it really does. Maybe religious people, with their imaginary friend, piss me off?

"I dreamt of this moment so many times before and now I just can't believe the grace of God in my life right now,” she told RTÉ. “I just want to thank everyone for all their prayers. I said it yesterday, as well, with all the prayers over the last week. I'd be nothing without God.

I don't know why it annoys me but it really does. Maybe religious people, with their imaginary friend, piss me off?

C'mon, the girl won a gold medal for the country after years of dedication and you won't give her this one comment?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

God loves sport. Doesn't care much for starving kids, though :(

I'm a total atheist and think Religion is stupid!

With that said, this is her beliefs and she is just been through to herself, personally i'd prefer if the credit went to the hours spent in the gym and the diet and sacrifice but either way Katie got gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    God loves sport. Doesn't care much for starving kids, though :(

I'd say there's plenty of food out there for everyone, it's the way societies are run that you get the super rich and the very poor.
    People make their own choices. This is a boxing board, she believes what she believes

And who appointed you as the the arbiter on people's belief systems? What Katie or anyone else chooses to believe or not to believe is none of your business, and vice versa.

But time and time again there is only one group on boards.ie that can derail a sports thread with their nihilistic, ultra-critical negative views on the beliefs of others. Collectively you're obsessed by God and religion and this is further evidence.

I don't care what you and your cronies choose to believe in and it's miles OT in this thread which is about Katie Taylor and her gold medal win.If in doubt, check thread title and OP.

• Advertisement

mathepac wrote: »
    And who appointed you as the the arbiter on people's belief systems? What Katie or anyone else chooses to believe or not to believe is none of your business, and vice versa.

But time and time again there is only one group on boards.ie that can derail a sports thread with their nihilistic, ultra-critical negative views on the beliefs of others. Collectively you're obsessed by God and religion and this is further evidence.

I don't care what you and your cronies choose to believe in and it's miles OT in this thread which is about Katie Taylor and her gold medal win.If in doubt, check thread title and OP.

Your derailing it as much as anyone, This is the last post on the religion subject people-Let's talk Boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

1344528421303.gif

Class. Well done Katie.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.mediacontact.ie/mediahq/paddypower/36521/saoirse-ronan-taylor-made-for-katie-role.html
    With the country continuing to swell with pride following Katie Taylor’s stunning gold medal winning performance Paddy Power have today opened the betting on who will play the Bray Bruiser in a movie.

Paddy Power make Irish screen star Saoirse Ronan the 8/1 early favourite followed by Lead Balloon actress Antonia Campbell Hughes and Twilight’s Kristen Stewart who are both at 10/1.
    Further down the list to play Ireland’s golden girl is Rooney Mara, who’s no stranger to playing a physical role, at 25/1 while Miley Cyrus is at an unlikely 33/1 with Emma Stone at an even more unlikely 40/1.
    Paddy Power said “Katie’s adventure towards her Olympic gold is straight off the silver screen, Saoirse Ronan is no stranger to physical roles and we think she has an edge on the others given that she’s Irish.”
    Who will play Katie Taylor in the movie?
    8/1 Saoirse Ronan
    10/1 Antonia Campbell Hughes
    10/1 Kristen Stewart
    14/1 Emma Watson
    14/1 Jennifer Lawrence
    16/1 Amanda Seyfried
    20/1 Shailene Woodley
    20/1 Mia Wasikowska
    25/1 Michelle Trachtenberg
    25/1 Rooney Mara
    25/1 Lauren Socha
    33/1 Kata Scodelario
    33/1 Taylor Momsen
    33/1 Miley Cyrus
    40/1 Emma Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    With the country continuing to swell with pride following Katie Taylor’s stunning gold medal winning performance Paddy Power have today opened the betting on who will play the Bray Bruiser in a movie.

Paddy Power said “Katie’s adventure towards her Olympic gold is straight off the silver screen, Saoirse Ronan is no stranger to physical roles and we think she has an edge on the others given that she’s Irish.”
    Who will play Katie Taylor in the movie?

Katie Taylor's story is inspirational, but they'll have to jumble it around to make it more cinematic. Her year after year of consistent invincible excellence mean that she is basically Superman without the cape (in movie storyline terms), so they're going to have to include a sequence where she hands back her superpowers, or where someone uses a radioactive fragment of her home planet (Brayite?) to weaken her, I reckon.

Also, I presume Dolph Lungren will be playing Ochigava, yes?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I put "a real hero" by college over Katie's.medal ceremony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKqEypxUh1Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Was wondering if anyone knows if Dara O'briain's piece on Katie Taylor he did for the BBC is up on the web. Cant find it anywhere. would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Theres been talk of Katie maybe going the pro route,after reading todays sunday mail it would be maybe madness for her to even considerate it according to girl pros in USA they barely get a living out of it,with her boxing grants and sponserships she is doing very well for herself in deed and im sure she will have more sponsers queuing up for her name on their products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

barney4001 wrote: »
    Theres been talk of Katie maybe going the pro route,after reading todays sunday mail it would be maybe madness for her to even considerate it according to girl pros in USA they barely get a living out of it,with her boxing grants and sponserships she is doing very well for herself in deed and im sure she will have more sponsers queuing up for her name on their products

I always think that if you're going to become a pro boxer, you better be making big bucks. At journeyman and even gatekeeper level its just not worth getting punched in the head for peanuts. And that's men's boxing, the women have it far worse. Don't do it Katie!

I think Katie would be crazy to go pro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Religious debate removed, I asked that it not be discussed on here.

Anyway, congrats to Katie I don't think I have ever been so happy for someone to win a medal. IMO she should not go pro I can't see what she will gain down that road.
    One or two smart contracts and this will girl can secure her future. Every Tom dick and Harry will want a piece and she should definitely use that to cash in

Advertisement