Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor wins gold!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Absolutely delighted for the girl, with all the dedication she's put into her training and also the amount of hard work she's done putting women's boxing on the map, she deserves all she gets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

MadsL wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread title spoiler :mad: - was going to watch it later....

Did you not even remotely think there would be some indication of the result on Boards ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,830 ✭✭✭✭Basq

MadsL wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread title spoiler :mad: - was going to watch it later....
    So you're the one to blames Twitter and Facebook for spoiling / revealing plot twists and / or results?

Here's an idea - show some restraint and stay off social media / message boards for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Let's hope the lads can follow in her footsteps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well I suppose I'll have to rename bump "Katie" boy or girl!!!!! :D

Katie if it's a girl, Taylor if it's a boy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mrsnewbie

Will Katie stay until in London until the closing ceremony this weekend or do you think she'll come home before that??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Anyone think the Russian won?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Registered Users Posts: 55,022 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mattser wrote: »
    Did you not even remotely think there would be some indication of the result on Boards ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was thinking that myself. I mean, the boxing forum on its biggest ever day!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I don't follow the boxing forum. It came up in latest threads. Was just about to log into NBC to watch.

troll

Boxing is boring anyway

/troll

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

mathepac wrote: »
    That's a despicable comment, an example of triumphalism and tribalism at its absolute worst and it dishonours Katie's extraordinary achievements.

A sportswoman through and through, if she was aware of this kind of stuff from a so-called fan or supporter, I'm confident Katie would distance herself from it.

The wonderful sport of amateur boxing is not about vulgar displays of one-upmanship or demeaning an opponent, which is why "showboating" is not allowed as we have already seen.

you're aware this is the same Russian fighter who made some appalling pre-fight comments??? Amongst them an accusation of bias towards Taylor "she has a 10 point lead before she steps into the ring". Not only that she did the Ali shuffle during the fight and held her hand aloft for a good 30 seconds at the verdict. Hardly a shining beacon of sportsmanship or respect.

It's not triumphalism to take extra pleasure as a fan in Katie defeating a disrespectful opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was there today. Some atmosphere in there. I thought it might have been a tie but luckily not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Well done Katie what a day for you your family and Bray and IRELAND

:D:D:D:D:D:D: no one ever doubted you Champ

you're aware this is the same Russian fighter who made some appalling pre-fight comments??? Amongst them an accusation of bias towards Taylor "she has a 10 point lead before she steps into the ring". Not only that she did the Ali shuffle during the fight and held her hand aloft for a good 30 seconds at the verdict. Hardly a shining beacon of sportsmanship or respect.

It's not triumphalism to take extra pleasure as a fan in Katie defeating a disrespectful opponent.

I sort of agree. Sofya let herself down a fair bit. Yes, she was disappointed after the loss, but her podium exploits before Katie spoke to her on the podium were a bit sour grapes to me. Arms folded, flowers hidden. Sure she seemed to perk up then, but she looked a right sore loser early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

walshb wrote: »
    I sort of agree. Sofya let herself down a fair bit. Yes, she was disappointed after the loss, but her podium exploits before Katie spoke to her on the podium were a bit sour grapes to me. Arms folded, flowers hidden. Sure she seemed to perk up then, but she looked a right sore loser early on.

Very famous quote - "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser".

megadodge wrote: »

Good one.

I guess I will give Sofya a pass today, but she didn't really come across well. I know, the event, the loss etc.

BTW, there is als the trem "sore loser." Nobody likes these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm pretty sure Katie has the gold medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,830 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm pretty sure Katie has the gold medal.
    I presume Scanlas The 2nd meant while we were waiting for the announcement from the judges..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

428834_411652645548582_1816242724_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

Apart from the Russian, NO!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Katie you are a legend!!! Your country is proud of you! Enjoy every minute of your wonderful success (cause the rest of us will )! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

megadodge wrote: »

A bad proverb at best. You can have the heart of a champion and still handle defeat with grace. Obviously she was a touch petulant but she did nothing too untoward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Does anyone have a link to Katie receiving her gold and Amhran Na BhFiann being played loud and proud??! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

Anyone know when Katie will be arriving home? Would love to go to the airport to see her coming in!! Will she wait until after the closing ceremony or will she be home sooner? Anyone know? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

happy_head wrote: »
    Anyone know when Katie will be arriving home? Would love to go to the airport to see her coming in!! Will she wait until after the closing ceremony or will she be home sooner? Anyone know? Thanks

Heard it's tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delighted for her. Some fabulous sportsmen and women at these games but I think very few are as deserving as Katie.

As regards Ochigava, I didn't really like the folded arms on the podium today, but she brightened up a bit after that so I think I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Taylor says she's a nice girl.

The comment from her about us being in a financial crisis because we spent our money on referees for Katie was absurd though. Like this country would put money into sport...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Anything that popular has to be bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

Delighted that her dream became a reality .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I did TBH. I was pretty sure the Russian won the last round by over 2 points.... until God smiled, and said Ah FFS Go on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Our finest female role model - Katie, you did Ireland proud!

Advertisement