Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Has anyone listened to RTE gold?

We have it on at work,

Today I was working 12 - 8 pm and up to half 4, the station had repeated several songs alot with
    Eurythmics - sweet dreams played 8 times, ( I counted)

Has anyone actually listened to RTE Gold and what do they make of the same song played 8 times in 4and a half hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Has anyone listened to RTE gold?

We have it on at work,

Today I was working 12 - 8 pm and up to half 4, the station had repeated several songs alot with
    Eurythmics - sweet dreams played 8 times, ( I counted)

Has anyone actually listened to RTE Gold and what do they make of the same song played 8 times in 4and a half hours

Its been the same since Day 1 - its high rotation of a greatest hits CD - very little effort gone into it - and so much potential.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Infoanon wrote: »
    Its been the same since Day 1 - its high rotation of a greatest hits CD - very little effort gone into it - and so much potential.....

While I agree that the songs they play are brilliant songs, a bit of variety or more tracks added to the playlist wouldnt go astray.. in the 10 mins that Katie Taylor was boxing for today it was played twice! It's beyond a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

4 and a half hours ! how could you listen for that length of time and not change stations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

win2one wrote: »
    4 and a half hours ! how could you listen for that length of time and not change stations ?

thats the station the owner/manager wants on.

I'm telling you if I was on don't forget the lyrics and any of those songs came On I'd be able to sing the whole song without any lyrics .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stephenireland

Just been listening all day to RTE GOLD....its the best bit of radio I have heard in years......Well done to all involved- thats what public service radio is all about - no commercials - tunes you normally do not hear on the Radio...... today they had John Clarke, Will Leahy - and Micky Mac now on doing specials.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Its just like an ipod on shuffle 95% of the time. hardly groundbreaking stuff.

Its just like an ipod on shuffle 95% of the time. hardly groundbreaking stuff.

Its been revamped since Mr J Clarke moved from 2FM, if anything its too diverse now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Just reading Ireland's Biggest Jukebox Fanpage on Facebook and I see RTE Gold has over 17k followers on TuneIn radio. It has added a fair few since John Clarke moved over to RTE Gold. The playlist has also improved with a full line up of shows on a Sunday and All 80s music on Saturdays. This week I noticed the introduction of a new jingle package which tells me that finally RTE are waking up and smelling the coffee, there is a market for such a radio station. Moving forward is the thing to do. Listeners are tuning into digital radio more and more these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Tuned in to RTE Gold a few times and really enjoyed it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

bbability wrote: »
    Just reading Ireland's Biggest Jukebox Fanpage on Facebook and I see RTE Gold has over 17k followers on TuneIn radio. It has added a fair few since John Clarke moved over to RTE Gold. The playlist has also improved with a full line up of shows on a Sunday and All 80s music on Saturdays. This week I noticed the introduction of a new jingle package which tells me that finally RTE are waking up and smelling the coffee, there is a market for such a radio station. Moving forward is the thing to do. Listeners are tuning into digital radio more and more these days.

There is a Market for such a station but Facebook Fanpages are never a reliable source of how many are listening. I've seen fanpages for other stations in the past and if you were to go by followers, they were some of the most successful enterprises of all times!

I wouldn't be too confident that RTE are taking a real interest, there are one or two inside the organasition that would like to move the digital Stations forward, but a lack of money, plus a lack of interest by those higher up could hold them back for a long time.

• Advertisement

There is a Market for such a station but Facebook Fanpages are never a reliable source of how many are listening. I've seen fanpages for other stations in the past and if you were to go by followers, they were some of the most successful enterprises of all times!

I wouldn't be too confident that RTE are taking a real interest, there are one or two inside the organasition that would like to move the digital Stations forward, but a lack of money, plus a lack of interest by those higher up could hold them back for a long time.

I never said Facebook was a way of measuring listenership, I said that people following RTE Gold on TuneIn has increased and I read that on Facebook. Anyway long may the listenership rise continue. I really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

bbability wrote: »
    I never said Facebook was a way of measuring listenership, I said that people following RTE Gold on TuneIn has increased and I read that on Facebook. Anyway long may the listenership rise continue. I really like it.

Fair enough, but that's the impression that your post gave IMHO. I have no real opinion on the station as there are thousands out there just like it, but more choice is always welcome on Saorview and DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Yes there are plenty of stations like RTE Gold out there, but it's good to know the music is coming from John Clarke from the bowels of RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moyet

I love this station , it got me through studying for several exams and projects for college. It's just a radio station that just plays comfortably in the background and doesn't cause much distraction.

Moyet wrote: »
    I love this station , it got me through studying for several exams and projects for college. It's just a radio station that just plays comfortably in the background and doesn't cause much distraction.

That's a great way of describing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 solidgrooves

To be fair, on Sunday you cant get a better line up of tunes.There are live DJs all day and best of all Micky Mac! Who brought Dance music to massive amounts of people in the 90s and promoted and made the way for many acts when Irish dance music was unheard of at the time. And lets not forget he had the first Irish dance tune to be in the Irish top 30 chart hits in Ireland for over 3 weeks in 1995 (I think with dancenation on Red records) but im open to correction Its a privilege to listen to him back on the air again! And yesterday the stayed true to form, playing a record that he had introduced me to many years ago, French Kiss by Lil Louis. It just proves that he is a top class dj of all ages,and I love to tune into him every Sunday!

The Sunday line up is good and great to hear Michael McNamara back on rte radio, though unfortunately none of the sunday shows are live.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Personally, I'd prefer if the jingles sounded more 'old school', similar to what Tony Blackburn uses on 'Pick Of The Pops'.

Interesting listening to RTE Gold now with live DJ's - that its presenters like Larry Gogan, Micky Mac (largin it) and John Clarke had an enthusiasm, and a knowledge about about their music that is not being repeated today. DeeJays today are robots - all my family love the station - no commercials.....would love to hear longer shows from Larry Mick and John.......by the way I am 44 next birthday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Interesting listening to RTE Gold now with live DJ's - that its presenters like Larry Gogan, Micky Mac (largin it) and John Clarke had an enthusiasm, and a knowledge about about their music that is not being repeated today. DeeJays today are robots - all my family love the station - no commercials.....would love to hear longer shows from Larry Mick and John.......by the way I am 44 next birthday..
    Are the DJs live? The mic quality is little different to your average bedroom studio setup. In fact the quality seems to vary from DJ to DJ. I'm not complaining, just wondering. I would have thought that if it were live from one of the radio centre studios, the audio would be more consistant.

• Advertisement

Could it be that as it is on digital the quality drops - I listen on Saor View...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some shows on the RTE digital stations are sent to RTE fully prerecorded so are recorded on home studios of varying quality. Live shows are from *an* RTE studio, not always in Montrose though. Pulse has had shows from Athlone and Belfast at times at the very least.

Since the new jingles were introduced a few weeks ago, when the top of the hour comes, the song playing cuts short to a jingle.

Bit like Sunshine 106.8

Since the new jingles were introduced a few weeks ago, when the top of the hour comes, the song playing cuts short to a jingle.

Bit like Sunshine 106.8

Automation error - that should be easy enough to fix assuming Gold have the same play out system as the other RTE stations.

Sounds simple alright.

Does anyone know have RTE Gold their own studio in radio centre, or is it just a monitor at JC's desk!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I only recently found a schedule listing for RTE Gold, here is the link

http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/gold/

Sunday is the standout day. It's a shame RTE don't promote the station better. It's almost like a secret station, harking back to the pirate days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

They should put 2FM out of its (and our) misery and put Gold on the FM network instead.
    And i'm serious.

Ian Dempsey was on it a few weeks back presenting a David Bowie classic album

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds simple alright.

Does anyone know have RTE Gold their own studio in radio centre, or is it just a monitor at JC's desk!?

Live shows use whatever studio is free at the time. Pulse generally uses Studio D (as far as I remember that's the name, its beside the entrance to the atrium/smoking area anyway) but that isn't dedicated to them.

• Advertisement

None of the sunday shows are live

Advertisement