Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kip d

I had the same problem last year. After deciding to give triathlon a go I signed up for a sprint I knew I could plod along for 5k and easily cycle 20k all I had to do was learn how to swim. It was January so I had six months or so to learn. In February I heard an ad on the radio for HIM Galway, got a rush of blood to the head and entered, I could just about manage four laps of the pool (20m) at this stage. The thinking was do a sprint if that went ok do an olympic and if that went ok go to Galway.

The sprint I'd chosen was Athlone and by the time it came around I was happy I could swim 750m, bar one trip to the sea to make sure I was happy with the wetsuit all my swimming was in the pool. Athlone was a disaster I was completely unprepared for the shock of the cold. After a few strokes all I wanted to do was get out of the water, but its the Shannon and once your in your in. I kept thinking relax you'll get into it soon but it just didn't happen, every time I put my face in the water I was nearly overcome with panic. I practically swam the whole thing with my head out of the water.

Time to rethink, I decided to skip the olympic and concentrate on Galway. I started going to the sea, getting in and swimming for as long as I could. Firstly parallel to the shore not getting out of my depth and then as I got more comfortable going further and further out and spending longer in the water. It got to the stage where I was spending well over an hour in the water, I was almost disappointed when the swim was shortened in Galway.

IMHO the only thing you have to worry about is acclimatising, being comfortable in that environment. The swim in the lost sheep is in the sea so get in the sea. Don't worry about stuff like which side you breath to, nose clips (wear it if you want), technique (a whole lot less important in OW particularly in a suit), coaching. Everything about the sea is different to the pool the colour, temperature, smell, taste, visibility, buoyancy and other things your not likely to find in your local pool. Its all about feeling comfortable. The more time you spend in the sea between now and the 8th of september the better. I don't know where you live but your never too far from the sea in Ireland so go and get in it, the more frequently the better even if it means sacrificing some of your bike, run training.

I know it can be easier said than done but try not worry about it. You will be surprised how quickly you can overcome this fear. I hope this is of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thanks for that, i aim to do 10 to 12 sea swims in the next month and work on general fitness in the pool.

I'm going to move my LSR to a wen to allow more swim time at the weekends.

Well i was back in the pool last night and did 1500m in 48 min, i know its slow but i was doing up to 400m non stop. I changed my breathing again back to every 2 strokes when i got tired and it worked a treat as i wasn't gulping in air. I left more relaxed and wasn't almost dead at the end of each length like i was before.

So i think i've taken a step forward.............well we'll judge it when i do a few sessions like that.

this might help:

I'm organising a club open water swim - Sunday 19th August.

We'll be meeting @ the NAC in Dublin to car pool and then driving out to Collinstown, Westmeath - (less than 1 hour away). Probably aiming to swim at 11:00ish. Plan will be to swim around 1km with some drills to practice open water race specifics such as sighting, drafting and race starts.

It's a bit of a drive but it is ideal for beginners. It's a shallow enough swimming area and as lakes go it's pretty much crystal clear, it's also clean, has blue flag status and there is a changing area (no showers though). It is the lake is where Tri an Mhi takes place.

Although it's a club session if anyone is a Triathlon Ireland member they are more than welcome to come along and sign-in as a visitor. It's a chance to get open water practice with others around.

Showers me @rse !

I'll be there with my TI card.

All still ok for Sunday ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

All still ok for Sunday ??

Yes. I'm aiming to get to Collinstown and ready to swim for 11:15.

Anyone is welcome by the way. Open invite.

Cool,

where is the lake in when i enter Collinstown. I'll be coming the road back from Delvin i'd say !

Here's the map (If you clock on carpark on the left hand side it will show the pin).

Advertisement