Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help

Options
  • 07-08-2012 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

After a long time dancing around it i think its time to admit i have a problem.

I have a fear of water thats really hampering me and if i don't get it sorted i'll be limited to 4 or 5 pool races a year.

Even in a pool when i reach the deep end i panic a bit and my breathing goes to hell.

I got a wetsuit a while ago but the weather has been so bad my clubs open water sessions have all ben cancelled.

I tried to do an open water race last month but lasted 50m until i lost it and had to get out.

I'm think of hypnosis or something at this stage as i have the Lost Sheep in 5 weeks and need to get this sorted or i won't be at the start line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would start with a coach you trust ( dosnt have to be a good coach just somebody you trust and has experieence with that matter) its simple stuff most of the time.
    Also I would suggest use your wetsuit in the pool first. to wear it in .
    as it can feel very strange to wear a wetsuit the first time especially in cold water ( and you will learn that you can never sink in a wetsuit ;-)

ps I am suprised your club cancells open water sessions when it rains.....
    Interested to hear the explanation for that , is it a suage problem ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

peter kern wrote: »
    I would start with a coach you trust ( dosnt have to be a good coach just somebody you trust and has experieence with that matter) its simple stuff most of the time.
    Also I would suggest use your wetsuit in the pool first. to wear it in .
    as it can feel very strange to wear a wetsuit the first time especially in cold water ( and you will learn that you can never sink in a wetsuit ;-)

ps I am suprised your club cancells open water sessions when it rains.....
    Interested to hear the explanation for that , is it a suage problem ???

We use the barrow and water levels and flow have been at dangerous levels.

I wonder would the pool let me wear the suit ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have you taken one to one lessons? From watching you swim you seem to lose your breath and you are not at all relaxed. Its not your fitness levels causing it so definitely a mental block like you say. Has your wife any input that might help, as she is a strong steady swimmer herself?

I think you may have let that ow race psyche you out a bit. Ask anyone here what their first ow race was like and you'll get a lot of horror stories. It is daunting but don't let one bad day build into your head as a real problem.

From reading your training I don't think you ever really 'cracked' swimming and got comfortable with it. You need to do that in the pool or ow will always throw you as it has no wall to rest at. Recently my coach had me doing stuff to help me understand buoyancy, blowing out air till I'm lying on the bottom, stuff like that. I suggest you do stuff thats not swim related to build you confidence. Practice floating using held breaths. See how long you can swim underwater. Dive for stuff at the bottom of the deep end. Get comfy in the water without worrying about getting up and down the pool.

Also, swim with another good swimmer. Get them to swim slowly and swim alongside matching their pace. Mimic what they do. This does two things. Its takes your mind off yourself and it makes you swim at a sustainable pace which you don't do.

We use the barrow and water levels and flow have been at dangerous levels.

I wonder would the pool let me wear the suit ?

if you call them up and ask you will know.
    NAC does allow them

Oryx wrote: »
    Have you taken one to one lessons? From watching you swim you seem to lose your breath and you are not at all relaxed. Its not your fitness levels causing it so definitely a mental block like you say. Has your wife any input that might help, as she is a strong steady swimmer herself?

I think you may have let that ow race psyche you out a bit. Ask anyone here what their first ow race was like and you'll get a lot of horror stories. It is daunting but don't let one bad day build into your head as a real problem.

From reading your training I don't think you ever really 'cracked' swimming and got comfortable with it. You need to do that in the pool or ow will always throw you as it has no wall to rest at. Recently my coach had me doing stuff to help me understand buoyancy, blowing out air till I'm lying on the bottom, stuff like that. I suggest you do stuff thats not swim related to build you confidence. Practice floating using held breaths. See how long you can swim underwater. Dive for stuff at the bottom of the deep end. Get comfy in the water without worrying about getting up and down the pool.

Also, swim with another good swimmer. Get them to swim slowly and swim alongside matching their pace. Mimic what they do. This does two things. Its takes your mind off yourself and it makes you swim at a sustainable pace which you don't do.

I'm not relaxed at all, i have no confidence in the water.

I've done one on one and i've been told i can swim its all in my head at this stage.

He said my stroke is fine and changed me from 2 to 4 strokes breathing. On Sunday i was on 4 but if i begun to panic it went to 2:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm not relaxed at all, i have no confidence in the water.

I've done one on one and i've been told i can swim its all in my head at this stage.

He said my stroke is fine and changed me from 2 to 4 strokes breathing. On Sunday i was on 4 but if i begun to panic it went to 2:(

Do you not bilateral breathe? (i.e. every 3?)

Don't think that all other swimmers are having a grand time and find it easy. I took a mouthful of water on Sunday and had to tread water for a bit to get myself together. I didn't feel comfortable most of the rest fo the swim until I turned the last buoy and was on my way back.

Do you not bilateral breathe? (i.e. every 3?)

Don't think that all other swimmers are having a grand time and find it easy. I took a mouthful of water on Sunday and had to tread water for a bit to get myself together. I didn't feel comfortable most of the rest fo the swim until I turned the last buoy and was on my way back.

No just on my left.

I've been told when i actually feel how well i'll float in the wetsuit i'll relax, we'll see.

I get cold sweats just thinking of ow :o

so you had a pool session class for open water swimming in a wetsuit ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If you look back in my log when i started out i was terrifed doing OW swimming and now i enjoy it. My advice is get someone with you and just get out there and do whatever distance you can to get used to it. Try not to think about the water, what is in it etc etc and just relax your breathing.
    It really is all up in the head, it was for me.

If you look back in my log when i started out i was terrifed doing OW swimming and now i enjoy it. My advice is get someone with you and just get out there and do whatever distance you can to get used to it. Try not to think about the water, what is in it etc etc and just relax your breathing.
    It really is all up in the head, it was for me.

Thats it in a nutshell.

• Advertisement

Sitting down to watch the Olympic race isn't going to make me feel any better:(

If you can ever make it down my way we could do a sea swim (very calm) with a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Have you got a decent hat on? I forgot my hat when I went for a lake swim recently and just couldn't get my breathing right after the shock of cold water on my head. Some folk like to wear two hats to keep their heads warm. There's probably more going on in your case but it might just help a bit.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Have you got a decent hat on? I forgot my hat when I went for a lake swim recently and just couldn't get my breathing right after the shock of cold water on my head. Some folk like to wear two hats to keep their heads warm. There's probably more going on in your case but it might just help a bit.

Yeah i have a hat i really like and always wear it.

The nose clip is more important for me !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tried a nose clip once or twice and it made me panic in the water. Not being able to breathe through my nose makes me feel claustrophic. Have you tried swimming without it?

I never felt uncomfortable in the water as I swam a bit as a kid but the secret to getting more comforable is surely just to spend as much time in it as possible? I was swimming 4 - 6 times a week at the end of 2011 even for 30 minutes, my first time back in open water I just told myself coming up to it that I'd be grand. Felt fine getting in but lost the run of myself after a couple hundred metres.

Tried a nose clip once or twice and it made me panic in the water. Not being able to breathe through my nose makes me feel claustrophic. Have you tried swimming without it?

I never felt uncomfortable in the water as I swam a bit as a kid but the secret to getting more comforable is surely just to spend as much time in it as possible? I was swimming 4 - 6 times a week at the end of 2011 even for 30 minutes, my first time back in open water I just told myself coming up to it that I'd be grand. Felt fine getting in but lost the run of myself after a couple hundred metres.

I need the clip, i have sinus problems and am still suffering from not using it on Sunday ! It actually makes swimming easier for me.

I need the clip, i have sinus problems and am still suffering from not using it on Sunday ! It actually makes swimming easier for me.
    Yeah once you get used to a clip its harder to swim without.

Any thoughts on trying hypnosis ?

I don't think you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Could you look into organising a different venue as a backup for your club swims? I'm sure others in the club are frustrated also.

Maybe a sheltered lake or harbour that wouldn't be as affected by weather.

• Advertisement

I wonder whats the chances of putting Lucy Hall in the water ahead of me......now there's a reason to get in and get going:)

I'm onto my pool and i can wear the suit !

hardCopy wrote: »
    Could you look into organising a different venue as a backup for your club swims? I'm sure others in the club are frustrated also.

Maybe a sheltered lake or harbour that wouldn't be as affected by weather.

We did but the water quality was awful, i'm planning to do something by myself on sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

No it would be too dangerous to try in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I think it's a difficult situation for people to understand if they've never been uncomfortable in open water, or who've always been able to tread very easily, and I mean no offence by that.

I was in a similar situation about 3 years ago, not long after learning to swim. I had no problem getting wet, getting my head under the water and all that but I was (and still sort of am) rubbish at treading water and therefore feared the deeper stuff. It was a rational fear too!

The first time I tried the wetsuit in open water really helped. I learned that I couldn't sink. They are extremely buoyant. That gave quite confidence to me and removed all fear. If you can't sink, you can breathe so you're in no danger.

But it's easy for me to say that here. But like people are saying (and kindly offering to help out with), get out in the open water in a wetsuit as soon as you can. You've trained hard, it'd be a shame to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Basster wrote: »
    The first time I tried the wetsuit in open water really helped. I learned that I couldn't sink. They are extremely buoyant. That gave quite confidence to me and removed all fear. If you can't sink, you can breathe so you're in no danger.

I think this is pretty important to remember when swimming OW. When I was younger, I was afraid to go out of standing depth with a wetsuit and a buoyancy aid:pac:. As it stands I swim in a cheapo wetsuit that is at least one if not two sizes too big for me, and even at that, if I panic, I can just stop and float there, and I'm convinced of my inability to tread water. I panic when I see seaweed, buoys, jellyfish, other swimmers, splashing made by my own hands (:rolleyes:), so I've got the floating thing pretty down.

Maybe if you try go to a sheltered spot with your suit, and don't worry about swimming. Just get in, splash about for a bit, maybe even bring kayaks and make a day out of it or something. Just focus on being comfortable, not swimming.

Well i got in the pool today with the suit and focused on floating etc.

It went well and i swam, stopped and turned over on my back to float in one movement. Then when i had floated for 10 sec or so i flipped back offer and begun to swim again.

I need to know that if i'm ducked i have just flip over and take a rest.

The pool isn't deep at all but my feet never hit the bottom in during this a number of times.

I feel a little more positive now but there's still a lot of work to do.

Yeah your next hurdle is cold water. Thats probably one of the biggest issues, particularly this year!

Oryx wrote: »
    Yeah your next hurdle is cold water. Thats probably one of the biggest issues, particularly this year!

Ya that will be fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

this might help:

I'm organising a club open water swim - Sunday 19th August.

We'll be meeting @ the NAC in Dublin to car pool and then driving out to Collinstown, Westmeath - (less than 1 hour away). Probably aiming to swim at 11:00ish. Plan will be to swim around 1km with some drills to practice open water race specifics such as sighting, drafting and race starts.

It's a bit of a drive but it is ideal for beginners. It's a shallow enough swimming area and as lakes go it's pretty much crystal clear, it's also clean, has blue flag status and there is a changing area (no showers though). It is the lake is where Tri an Mhi takes place.

Although it's a club session if anyone is a Triathlon Ireland member they are more than welcome to come along and sign-in as a visitor. It's a chance to get open water practice with others around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

(no showers though)

Has a shower, outside to the left of the changing rooms. Its cold but I have used it after a swim in the past :)

Advertisement