Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man (28) charged over alleged assault on Australian Politician On TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Don't act like a drunken fcukwit and you'll be fine.

I'm not embarrassed because it's not me. Where do you get that I condone it by saying I'm not embarrassed? Hyperbole, much?

If this were one isolated incident I'd agree with you, unfortunately it's the very visible tip of the very large iceberg of drunken, boorish and violent anti-social behavior that the Irish are rapidly gaining a reputation for in Oz.
    It's a reflection of a wider societal problem we see every evening on our own streets and exporting that problem creates a very negative image of this country.
    So yes, it embarrasses me as an Irishman to see this, and yes, when you travel abroad you represent yourself as a member of this nation and it's culture, positive and negative alike.
    The Irish at the Euro's in Poznan generally gave a favorable representation of the Irish that most of us were rightly proud of, just as the travelling support of English throughout the 80's created a reputation that they were rightly ashamed of.
    This idiot may be 'one guy', but he's one guy that could rapidly see doors close for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Why would people be embarrassed over the actions of one? :confused:

He's a product of our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cavan.

EDIT: Having seen the video; Limerick.

Probably.

I'm just going to expound my theory that this bowsiesm is mostly young boggers going to the big shmoke's down under and losing the run of themselves

bring back flogging for 'em say I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Erm maybe cos I'm going on my hols there in a few weeks and and it does nothing constructive for our image abroad. The behaviour of what only can be described as fcukwits acting the b*llocks around Perth are equally facepalm-able.
    Non subtle brag about Going on Holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Raiser wrote: »
    What a tool, sneaking up behind someone and then bravely giving them a little girls kick in the ankle before behing held with minimal effort like a bold child in school, such a feeble little, lame, low IQ twat :D

- I'm just worried that Australia will start repatriating the hundreds of thousands of lowlife rats that deserted over there and we'll have to start once again paying social welfare for them to drink dutch gold, beat their kids/wives/dogs/neighbours and otherwise act like utter scum all over our lives once more.

Ireland gets just a little bit better each and every time one of these 'Damo's' gets on a one way flight to Aus.......

do you seriously think that they are the people that go to Australia - really? :roll eyes:

Its more like the celtic tiger cubs that got their way paid for them and any and every up to date contraption that they wanted - now they have to realize what life is about, they can't handle it, and lash out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

this is what we do first

get a sock

a bar of soap

put the soap in the sock

and we get snowball and cowboy to hold him down

then we all beat the **** out of him for the demolishment of the irish reputation

or just not give a faintist bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

le la rat wrote: »
    Non subtle brag about Going on Holidays

And you never go anywhere on hols? Stay at home and watch your Fair City boxset do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

conorhal wrote: »
    If this were one isolated incident I'd agree with you, unfortunately it's the very visible tip of the very large iceberg of drunken, boorish and violent anti-social behavior that the Irish are rapidly gaining a reputation for in Oz.
    It's a reflection of a wider societal problem we see every evening on our own streets and exporting that problem creates a very negative image of this country.
    So yes, it embarrasses me as an Irishman to see this, and yes, when you travel abroad you represent yourself as a member of this nation and it's culture, positive and negative alike.
    The Irish at the Euro's in Poznan generally gave a favorable representation of the Irish that most of us were rightly proud of, just as the travelling support of English throughout the 80's created a reputation that they were rightly ashamed of.
    This idiot may be 'one guy', but he's one guy that could rapidly see doors close for the rest of us.

I don't feel either the good or bad impressions of us abroad reflect on me at all. I don't really care either way.

I don't feel either the good or bad impressions of us abroad reflect on me at all. I don't really care either way.

You may not care, but it does reflect on you. And when you try to book into a hostel in Perth and suddenly because of your Irish accent it's mysteriously fully booked, or you turn up for a job interview to find that the position is already filled, well, then you'll find that reflection that you don't care about might be something that others do care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

He looks like a scumbag, hope they don't send him back!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Its funny how racists on this site complain about foreigners in this country misbehaving when the Irish over in Australia are literally acting the bollix. I was over there and the Irish were utterly disgraceful. We were actually refused drinks in some places completely sober because we were Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Higher wrote: »
    Its funny how racists on this site complain about foreigners in this country misbehaving when the Irish over in Australia are literally acting the bollix. I was over there and the Irish were utterly disgraceful. We were actually refused drinks in some places completely sober because we were Irish.

I think it's funnier that people who complain about being judged by their natinoality are, in fact, judging other poeple by their nationality.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The place is full of school drop outs that managed to keep a clean criminal records.

They'll be all back soon enough though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The place is full of school drop outs that managed to keep a clean criminal records.

They'll be all back soon enough though :(

The country was built by our convicts so no criminal record is an improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

What a flute. Stupidity of the highest order. The Australians should deport him.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

IrishAm wrote: »
    What a flute. Stupidity of the highest order. The Australians should deport him.

What, so he's back here? No thanks.

You may not care, but it does reflect on you. And when you try to book into a hostel in Perth and suddenly because of your Irish accent it's mysteriously fully booked, or you turn up for a job interview to find that the position is already filled, well, then you'll find that reflection that you don't care about might be something that others do care about.

I hate hostels and never stay in them, so that will never be an issue. ;) I also know of a fair few people doing very well in Australia at the moment, to the point of some of them gaining Australian citizenship after just a few years there. This "reputation" doesn't seem to adversely affecting them. So, if you want to be embarrassed at the behaviour of some abroad, go right ahead. But kindly don't tell me I should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    "We"? Who the **** is "we"?

Perhaps everyone who's 28 should be embrassed by this?

Selective use of "we" here -- maybe not by you, but in general. If he'd won a Nobel prize, it'd be "we" all round and aren't "we" proud.

But when he's a scumbag in Australia, suddenly he's nothing to do with the rest of us.

We're exporting a lot of feral, drunken louts these days to all corners and are rightfully getting a bad reputation as a result -- that we're a rough, uncultured, drink-sodden nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

FullBeard wrote: »
    Selective use of "we" here -- maybe not by you, but in general. If he was an Irish sportsman in London who'd just won a medal or something, it'd be "we" all round and aren't "we" proud.

But when he's a scumbag in Australia, suddenly he's nothing to do with the rest of us.

We're exporting a lot of feral, drunken louts these days to all corners and are rightfully getting a bad reputation as a result -- that we're a rough, uncultured, drink-sodden nation.

Just like Australia so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Two things struck me about the video clip.
    Are people sure it wasn't staged or what brought him to have a go at the politician.
    And.. He was putting on his runner in the beginning of the clip, was he just out of bed or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Why would people be embarrassed over the actions of one? :confused:
    You are part of the Borg. You have been assimilated.

Selective use of "we" here -- maybe not by you, but in general. If he'd won a Nobel prize, it'd be "we" all round and aren't "we" proud.

This is it. To those of us whom have no intention of ever moving to Australia, it does not matter a bollix.

But to thousands of Irish on a WHV, who are working their bollix off to secure sponsorship, this sort of nonsense will negatively affect them.

Which is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not really, I've never been proud/ashamed to be Irish based on someone else's antics/acheivements. Happy for them, yes, but not because of a shared birthpace.

If we're exporting a lot of feral, drunken louts, then perhaps the probelm is not Australia?
    IrishAm wrote: »
    This is it. To those of us whom have no intention of ever moving to Australia, it does not matter a bollix.

But to thousands of Irish on a WHV, who are working their bollix off to secure sponsorship, this sort of nonsense will negatively affect them.

Which is unfair.

Which is fair enough, but that's not being ashamed. That's more being angry and fearful of the possible reputussions.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Assault my arse.

The manhandling of the clown aftrewards was worse than the initial attack.

Typical tabloid australian tv. Every channel competes to try and appeal to the lowest common demoninator.

There are a lot of drunken irish clowns in australia. There are also a lot of drunken australian clowns in edinburgh and london, however a minor incident like this would not be blown out of all proportion. When young ~20 year olds of most nations get opportunities like this to live abroad a lot will get a bit carried away with the freedom. I guess because of the high proportion of irish in australia we may appear worse than some of the other nationalities who visit there. But from my experience there was no diff between irish, english, american, canadian, scandinavian amongst other nationalities on australian trips.

Australians seem to have a habit of making some nationality scapegoats for internal problems. When I was there it was the lebanese who were at fault for an explosion of the latent aussie xenophobia culminating in riots on the sydney beaches and petrol bombing of mosques (by aussies not lebanese). Somehow in spite of most the criminal acts being committed by aussies the lebanese community got all the bad press. The aborigines were the drunken louts before the press picked on the irish. The funny thing is though the really serious incidents involving drink like assaults resulting in deaths always seemed to be australians.

The fact that it was a politician speaking about drunken violence who was then 'assaulted' by an alleged drunk seems very suspicious to me. The nature of this so called assault also seemed a little odd. Why would you give someone an ankle tap like that. Surely the first instinct of any drunk would be to throw a dig.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Which is fair enough, but that's not being ashamed. That's more being angry and fearful of the possible reputussions.

I will never be ashamed of being Irish, unlike some of the goons on here. But if I was working my ass off to secure sponsorship, like thousands of my fellow compatriots are at the moment, this shit would annoy the bollix off me.

The Irish community in Australia needs to put it up to some of the scum and let them know that their behaviour shall no longer be tolerated.

Rightly or wrongly, their behaviour reflects on us all.

I hate hostels and never stay in them, so that will never be an issue. ;) I also know of a fair few people doing very well in Australia at the moment, to the point of some of them gaining Australian citizenship after just a few years there. This "reputation" doesn't seem to adversely affecting them. So, if you want to be embarrassed at the behaviour of some abroad, go right ahead. But kindly don't tell me I should be.

No doubt that goon shares you attitude, otherwise he might have thought twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I hate hostels and never stay in them, so that will never be an issue. I also know of a fair few people doing very well in Australia at the moment, to the point of some of them gaining Australian citizenship after just a few years there. This "reputation" doesn't seem to adversely affecting them. So, if you want to be embarrassed at the behaviour of some abroad, go right ahead. But kindly don't tell me I should be.

Christ, dense or what.

Even after having it explained clearly, you still don't get it and are giving it the "it doesn't affect me" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Higher wrote: »
    . We were actually refused drinks in some places completely sober because we were Irish.

You were in my left one.

No doubt that goon shares you attitude, otherwise he might have thought twice.

Makes not a jot of sense. Just a nonsensical cheap shot. Kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Talk it from someone who lives here, it has an affect on all of us.

Advertisement