Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Under 21s, Loans & Youth Team Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good idea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Our Under-21 team came from 6-1 down to push Newcastle all the way in our first Barclays Under-21 Premier League fixture on Saturday.

The lads didn't get off to the most impressive starts in the all-new league at Newcastle's training ground.
    They were 2-0 down inside five minutes and after Ryan Mason fired home a fine response, found themselves 5-1 down at half-time.
    However. they were the better team in the second half and although Newcastle made it 6-1 on 67 minutes, Yago Falque and Cristian Ceballos sparked a recovery.
    Ceballos set-up Falque for 6-2 on 69 minutes and Falque returned the compliment seven minutes later, crossing to the far post for Ceballos to head home for 6-3.
    Ceballos then released Falque again to make it 6-4 with 12 minutes remaining and there were further chances as Souleymane Coulibaly twice fired straight at the goalkeeper in the final minutes.
    Spurs U21s (4-2-3-1): Miles; Smith (Bush, 16; Onomah, 70), Ekong, Hall, Byrne; Carroll, Mason; Falque, Munns, Ceballos; Coulibaly.

Playing United tonight, one down at HT, mistake from Caulker.

Here is our starting line-up at United - Archer; Smith, Caulker, Hall, Byrne; Carroll, Mason; Falque, Kane, Townsend; Obika.

Mancs team includes Lindergaard, Evans, Fletcher, Powell and Buttner

beaten 2-1

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I saw that the under age teams 18s & 21s have found wins hard to come by so far a great win especially when Southampton have such a strong underage team.

Ceballos will hopefully turn out great wouldn't mind seeing him at Wigan on Loan or something soon but it's so hard to tell if he's ready for that kind of a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good to beat UTD again :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

They're playing 4-2-3-1 as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

NATIONAL GROUP 2
    POS LP CLUB P W D L GF GA GD PTS
    1 (1) Tottenham U21 9 5 2 2 35 19 16 17
    2 (3) Man Utd U21 8 4 3 1 15 12 3 15
    3 (2) Newcastle U21 9 4 1 4 23 22 1 13
    4 (5) Aston Villa U21 8 3 3 2 17 15 2 12
    5 (4) Southampton U21 9 3 3 3 15 19 -4 12
    6 (6) Sunderland U21 8 2 3 3 10 10 0 9
    7 (7) Stoke U21 9 1 1 7 8 26 -18 4

We're sitting pretty at the top of the U-21 league with a goal difference of PLUS 16!

I think the performance of the U-21s playing the 4-2-3-1 supports the argument to give AVB time. He has been very unlucky with injuries, put he's also playing with a squad of players who are very used to playing a 4-4-2.

When AVB brings in new blood and gets rid of the players who are unable to adapt, we will see a vast improvement.

Hopefully some of these U-21s will get a run out in the early parts of the FA Cup.

Falque, Ceballos and Pritchard given a few minutes here and there.

Hatch99 wrote: »

Here's Coulibaly's goal....

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/video-souleymane-coulibaly-scores-cracker-for-tottenham-u21s-v-southampton/?

Does anyone know where I might be able to find the rest of these goals?

Does anyone know where I might be able to find the rest of these goals?

You can see them on SpursTV if you're a member. Falque's first was a sweet counter attack and his second was a peach of a finish. Some lovely passes/crosses by young Tom Carroll too.

In flying form, hopefully 1 or 2 can make the grade.

Beaten 2-1 at Sunderland but on the plus side, parker played 90 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Beaten 2-1 at Sunderland but on the plus side, parker played 90 minutes.

Banger and a half :p

• Advertisement

3 up, parker got one

First match in the Elite U-21 league today, the best in the country....

Tottenham 5 - 1 Wolves

:D:D

First match in the Elite U-21 league today, the best in the country....

Tottenham 5 - 1 Wolves

:D:D

Great result, Mason & Obika with top performances, ready for the step-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Our Under21's have scored 43 goals in 12 games. Second highest scorers are Southampton with 24.

As I said, we should be giving some of these youth a chance.

irishmover wrote: »
    Our Under21's have scored 43 goals in 12 games. Second highest scorers are Southampton with 24.

As I said, we should be giving some of these youth a chance.

It's a tough one in fairness. The league cup is probably the place to blood them and we were knocked out early in that. And with it being AVB's first season, I'm sure he didn't want to take the risk and play young lads and see it blow up in is face. With it being his first season, and all the spotlight on him, he needed victories straight away, and playing kids isn't the way to get them. Although I would like to see one or 2 of them on the bench every now and then, easier said than done though when you have a squad of senior players like we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I agree with Irishmover here. Im amazed that when we havent had a striking option on the bench that one of the younger lads hasnt been included.

Doesnt mean they necessarily have to play half an hour or anything but for the experience of even being in the match squad it must do them some good.

Particularly liked Townsends assist for the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I agree with Irishmover here. Im amazed that when we havent had a striking option on the bench that one of the younger lads hasnt been included.

Doesnt mean they necessarily have to play half an hour or anything but for the experience of even being in the match squad it must do them some good.

This is what I'd like to see! Drop huddlestone and give a young lad a bench spot! Pritchard is being talked about again after his 4 goals v Peterborough...

• Advertisement

3-2 up at west ham in Youth Cup

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial

Advertisement