Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on Fox 4

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wonder if they have made it hard for themselves though...

First event they (arguable whether it was the UFC or Fox) made the decision to show only the HW fight, whether it lasted 5 rounds or 5 seconds.

The fight was an anticlimax but they still decided not to show the Guida vs Henderson fight which was epic.

Then they headlined the second show with Evans vs Davis which had stinker written all over it.

Both those early shows were highly rated but 3 and 4 have been flops. The first 2 shows had the curiosity factor of new viewers who hadn't been exposed before and they will be much harder to get back once they were put off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    First event they (arguable whether it was the UFC or Fox) made the decision to show only the HW fight, whether it lasted 5 rounds or 5 seconds.

The fight was an anticlimax but they still decided not to show the Guida vs Henderson fight which was epic.
    Was the broadcast different in different countires?
    Because all through the build up to Fox 1 they said they would only show the main event. Then when it was aired, the Guida Bendo fight was aired live. :confused: (at least that was my broascast)
    Both those early shows were highly rated but 3 and 4 have been flops. The first 2 shows had the curiosity factor of new viewers who hadn't been exposed before and they will be much harder to get back once they were put off.

By what measure do you define Fox 4 a flop?

Mellor wrote: »
    Was the broadcast different in different countires?

It was. America only got the Cain-JDS fight. Not sure about Canada.

By what measure do you define Fox 4 a flop?

By the viewing figures.

6 million for Fox 1, around 4 million for 2. 3 and 4 only managed 2.4 million.

UFC on Fox 4 was a ratings flop compared to UFC on Fox 2 despite it being a much better event. My point is its easier to draw in viewers who are not sure what they're going to get (UFC on Fox 1), than to bring them back after being disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    By the viewing figures.

6 million for Fox 1, around 4 million for 2. 3 and 4 only managed 2.4 million.

UFC on Fox 4 was a ratings flop compared to UFC on Fox 2 despite it being a much better event. My point is its easier to draw in viewers who are not sure what they're going to get (UFC on Fox 1), than to bring them back after being disappointed.

6 million was bloated due to it being a) The first time on fox, and b) the HW title fight. It's pointless using Fox 1 record breaking figures to measure the success of other cards. The second event was probably riding the wave of the first.
    Those numbers aren't a useful yardstick to meaure the "success" of a show.

In isolation, is 2.4 million viewers low? I wouldn't have though so. it was second most viewed item after the olympics on saturday night. THe fact that it managed to hit the same number set my fox 3 alongside a major sports broadcast would suggest, to me, that it did better than Fox 3.

Ultimately, why should ratings matter to any of us?
    I care about the fights picked for the card and the fights delivered. on those elements alone, I thought it was great.

Ultimately, why should ratings matter to any of us?
    I care about the fights picked for the card and the fights delivered. on those elements alone, I thought it was great.

I thought it was great too. Nobody disputes that.

The question of success/failure from a ratings view is merely interesting from the point of view of discussing the UFC's growth on the whole because let's be honest, the UFC's growth affects MMA's growth overall.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The first Fox show was a disaster. One fight and cain knocked out in a minute.

I still prefer the FOX coverage thougth to the UFC PPV.

I like the analysis with randy and Stann and the background features on each fighter before the fights is pretty cool as well.

Advertisement