Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fidelma Healy Eames' train ticket scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    According to that article FHE actually said this:
    FHE wrote:
    I was the acknowledgment no child can be conceived with the union of a male and a female.
    WTF does that mean? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

http://galwaybayfm.ie/keith-finnegan-show-monday-16th-march/

she comes in at around 1.23

pump up the lolume!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

McTigs wrote: »
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/keith-finnegan-show-monday-16th-march/

she comes in at around 1.23

pump up the lolume!
    Unfortunately I'm not laughing. She seems to be wilfully ignorant about the upcoming referendum. It's incredible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

serfboard wrote: »
    According to that article FHE actually said this:

WTF does that mean? :confused:

Jays, I'd say she'd write a great version of 50 shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Covert operations.

Clown.

#justsayin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Well she has the bones of an argument there, the speed vans are meant to be a deterrent to speeding with the vans highly visible etc , but the last 12 months or more i have started seeing more and more speed vans that are almost indistinguishable from normal vans.

One i have seen is wine red, is few years old on the reg, and the only indication it is a speed van is a sticker that is approximately the size of a bar of chocolate on the side of the van................ if thats not something designed to maximise revenue i dont know what is. Often the van is situated just inside a zone where the limit goes from 100km/hr to 50km/hr suddenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's hardly outlandish that by placing van's at locations that tend to typically surpass the limits - as those outlined by Healy Eames - would be hit by the vans in order to send a message that 'speed here, and you'll be prosecuted'. :confused:

Go Safe operate most of the vans.

Would surely defeat the purpose if everyone knew in advance that the vans would be there - the 'speeders' would simply slow down in the knowledge. This method ensures that those who tend to break the law are caught. Hardly rocket science?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Jays, I'd say she'd write a great version of 50 shades.
    She'd probably take it literally though and write a book about grey lampshades.
    Would surely defeat the purpose if everyone knew in advance that the vans would be there - the 'speeders' would simply slow down in the knowledge. This method ensures that those who tend to break the law are caught. Hardly rocket science?
    The intention of the vans is to get people to slow down, not necessarily catch speeders. Would it not be better for the vans to make people think they can't speed, so they wouldn't speed in the first place, rather than catching them in the act.

The problem with any of these vans that I've seen is they sit in places like the exit of towns or at the start of overtaking lanes you'd see on hills. The only intention there is to catch people out. They don't go to black spots, they take easy targets where breaking the speed limit means going above 50kph. I know exactly where speed vans park up on the roads I travel and I know for a fact they won't venture past their usual haunts, so I know I can speed right up until the spot where the van always pulls in, go slow past there and take off speeding again once I'm past.

The speed vans are doing the least possible that they can get away with, it's a money spinning exercise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have a plan! but what is it? (printing expense by the taxpayer)
    Fidelma-Healy-Eames-Leaflet-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

snubbleste wrote: »
    I have a plan! but what is it? (printing expense by the taxpayer)
    Fidelma-Healy-Eames-Leaflet-1.jpg

'Elected 3 times' ehh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Elected as a senator....... me hole.
    Selected as a senator by her party is what she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Every time this thread pops up on my list, I groan and wonder what she's gotten up to now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I didn't know she has a phd

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I didn't know she has a phd

Yes, she has a portable hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'd love if she completed that sentence, "First the people"?

Second, the cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's about time someone maximised our creativity. Once we hit maximum langauge we'll surely be recession proof for centuries to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

She's just about to swing the vote in favour of a yes vote on today fm in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

She's just about to swing the vote in favour of a yes vote on today fm in a few minutes.

Over?

How? has she gone blonde?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Let's see if Mother's Day is banned now, in accordance with Fidelma's prophecy.

• Advertisement

Is she at a count centre with a sour puss?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is she at a count centre with a sour puss?

She sure is. She's in Dublin castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Her statement today seems to be that we need to treat the ~1/3 who voted No as equals, in their belief that people should not be treated equally. Logic.

There's also her worry about adoption, despite the fact that she adopted her own children. She's quite the contortionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Her statement today seems to be that we need to treat the ~1/3 who voted No as equals, in their belief that people should not be treated equally. Logic.

There's also her worry about adoption, despite the fact that she adopted her own children. She's quite the contortionist.

I watched her on tv this morning and while I'm not a fan I thought she sounded reasonable in the comments I heard her make then at least. She said she didn't have a problem with gay people committing, had voted for civil partnership and other gay rights and that her issue was with the potential implications of this amendment concerning children, surrogacy and rights of birth mothers.
    She said that her in own case as an adopted mother she considered herself secondary to her children's birth mother and that that experience had influenced her opinion.

It just didn't sound the fanaticism I'd expected.

It just didn't sound the fanaticism I'd expected.

She knew she was on the wrong side of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

So, she went on national television and said that the woman who gave her children up for adoption is more important to those children, than the woman who adopted and raised them.
    Her kids must've loved that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

So, she went on national television and said that the woman who gave her children up for adoption is more important to those children, than the woman who adopted and raised them.

I actually feel quite sorry for her now. That's a serious inferiority complex to carry around. I imagine like any parent she's done the best she can do for kids. And yet to still feel that's she's at best second most important to them...

I've literally gone from laughing at the woman to wanting to give her a big old hug and tell her that she's great and should be proud of herself.

It's weird what happens when you scratch under the surface of a fairly obnoxious public persona and she the human underneath.

jjpep wrote: »
    I actually feel quite sorry for her now. That's a serious inferiority complex to carry around. I imagine like any parent she's done the best she can do for kids. And yet to still feel that's she's at best second most important to them...

I've literally gone from laughing at the woman to wanting to give her a big old hug and tell her that she's great and should be proud of herself.

It's weird what happens when you scratch under the surface of a fairly obnoxious public persona and she the human underneath.

I wouldn't trust a word out of that woman's mouth.
    I know this sounds harsh, but I honestly wouldn't put it past her, to make a statement like that to push her agenda and garner public support for her own political future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Infairness until you've been in that situation who among us can judge. I know an adoptive parent who regularly thinks of and cries for the birth mum of her son because she feels heartfeltly grateful to her and sad for her loss of a beautiful little boy in what she knows were painful circumstances. I'm sure it's a very complex emotional thing for a lot of people. I wouldn't discredit her feelings on it or use them as a stick to beat her with either, I certainly wouldn't surmise as to how her children feel. I'm sure they're probably proud of her like we all are of our mums. Lets not bring them into this.

• Advertisement

Infairness until you've been in that situation who among us can judge. I know an adoptive parent who regularly thinks of and cries for the birth mum of her son because she feels heartfeltly grateful to her and sad for her loss of a beautiful little boy in what she knows were painful circumstances. I'm sure it's a very complex emotional thing for a lot of people. I wouldn't discredit her feelings on it or use them as a stick to beat her with either, I certainly wouldn't surmise as to how her children feel. I'm sure they're probably proud of her like we all are of our mums. Lets not bring them into this.

Good point. Fair enough.
    Wouldn't normally bring anyones family into a discussion, but that woman.....

Advertisement