Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest let down in a game?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Street Fighter 2 on the Commodore 64. The C64 was never going to pull off SF2 but deep down inside I really wanted the game that all my SNES and Megadrive owning mates were bragging about. It broke my little heart when I ended up with this:
    I had to lol at this, god that's awful :P

For others posting about Red Dead, please use the Spoiler Tag, you've basically given away a HUGE plot point in the ending and possibly ruined the game for anyone here who has yet to play it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I remember seeing Manchester United in Europe on Gamesmaster when I was about 11/12 years old.
    Graphics,camera angle and physics were like nothing I had seen in a football game.

Went on a school tour to Wexford and there it was sitting on a shelf in a store,spent the whole 10 pound spending money I brought with me on it,went without sweets for the day :(
    Brought it home stuck it in the C64 and was disgusted at what loaded on my screen.
    Completely different game to what I had seen on TV where they obviously showed it on a more capable platform.
    Overhead camera angle only,horrible graphics and almost impossible to score.
    To say I was devestated would be an understatement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i bought worms years and years and years ago partly due to the cool pictures on the box and the promise of awesome 3d videos

when I got home I saw the small print that those videos were only available on the cd version and I had bought the floppy disk version

was unimpressed.

the game itself was ****ing awesome though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

PrimalRageGamePlay5.png

Primal Rage - I thought this was going to be amazing, Dinosaurs and Large beasts kicking the crap outta each other.. ..wow what an awful game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Rise Of The Robots on the Super Nintendo (SNES). This game looked great in the shop. Fighting game in 3d graphics! It was so disappointing when I got it home. To think Brian May put his name to this shyte.

In one player mode you could only play as the main character, who sucked. If a second player joined they could play as any of the other robots!

Terrible terrible game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Zelda: Skyward Sword.

I got it at christmas but only really played it today and yesterday, and having beaten the first temple I just can't play it anymore. I realised that everything I'm having a serious problem with are consequences of the motion controls (except Fi, who is very, very annoying.)

The fighting is awful. I thought that the motion aspect was cool the first time, but it gets very annoying very fast. It's hurting my wrist having to swing fast enough for the control to register it as a legitimate swing, and I have to be very aware of where my legs, left hand and the chair arm are in relation to my hand just to be able to swing it at all, and the method of shaking the nunchuk to use your shield is way too slow to be incredibly useful. It really breaks the immersion, and I'm all too aware that I'm just swinging my wii remote and not a sword. I have these brief moments of acually feeling like I'm playing an enjoyable game when I'm trying to dodge, because that's just a damn button.

And although the sword fighting is the main annoyance of the motion controls, all the other little uses are really adding up to make it a horrible experience. The dowsing thing is absolutely stupid, as if its trying to deter you from exploring an area. The slingshot's having to aim and shoot midbattle instead of just z-target and fire is infuriating. And that stupid beetle, turned every "puzzle" of the forest temple into a wii sports minigame. Also the flying is so damn boring that I hate having to return to the sky so often to do it.

I guess I'm let down because this is a game which could be very good, but by turning basic aspects of the game into terrible wrist exercises its impossible to enjoy the parts which would have been good if they had just stuck to buttons.

I'm aware they're are probably similiar rants in the SS thread, but i was a bit late to the party and needed to vent.

Screw you motion controls, there's a damn good reason some of the Wii's best games could be played on this, simply buttoned beauty. (Not to put down games like Mario Galaxy which integrated motion controls relatively well)

WII-CLS-CONT-BLK-prod.gif

tl;dr: I <3 buttons

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,846 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure why you are swinging the wiimote around like crazy for. All it takes are small wrist movements for it to register for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeah that sounds more like a wiimote issue than a game issue. If you read the thread, not many people complain about having to gesticulate that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fallout 3.

After all the hype I said I'd give it a bash. I'm not sure has it not aged well maybe, but I thought the gameplay was pretty bad, the graphics weren't much good either and didn't care enough about the story or progression to get stuck into it.

The Witcher 2 aswell.

Again, lots of hype and lots of positives about the game - particularly graphically and the way the story is laid out, but the actual gameplay is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ghost recon future soldier is crap. The third person is rubbish. Stupid ubisoft. Loved 1 and 2. Ubisoft and their fcuking passes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

For people saying that HL2 was good when it came out but sh*t now is stupid IMO. I played it when it came out and everything about it blew me away. I played it through again last year and enjoyed just as much and still felt new.

If your going to say that it was good when it was released but bad now, that means your saying that legends of games such as LoZ:OOT, Goldeneye, Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, FFXII are all sh*t now and you wouldn't play them. Which they are clearly not and lots of people still play these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Perfect Dark Zero. It just didn't meet the standard I was expecting based off of Perfect Dark and how good that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

RB100 wrote: »
    For people saying that HL2 was good when it came out but sh*t now is stupid IMO. I played it when it came out and everything about it blew me away. I played it through again last year and enjoyed just as much and still felt new.

If your going to say that it was good when it was released but bad now, that means your saying that legends of games such as LoZ:OOT, Goldeneye, Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, FFXII are all sh*t now and you wouldn't play them. Which they are clearly not and lots of people still play these games.
    Final fantasy 12 is **** though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Duke Nukem Forever: I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but damn. This game is a slap in the face to anyone who pays money to play it. Way to waste 13 years of development.

L.A Noire: I've nothing else to say but boring. This game is just plain boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

Arawn wrote: »
    Final fantasy 12 is **** though

oops I meant 7:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Would you kindly take that back?

take what back ?? the whole game is rubbish ( actually iz serious ) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

RB100 wrote: »

The thread isn't about what games you think were sh*t, it's about what disappointed you. Half Life 2 was a massive disappointment for me but I won't say it's sh*t.

I played it for the first time 2 years ago. I had been told that it was one of the best games ever made and went in expecting as much. What I got was a game with a poorly paced story and awkward controls. If I compare it to other games out at the time I will admit, the graphics were fantastic and they still stand up quite well today. It also was revolutionary in terms of physics and one of the most influential players in shaping FPS. The problem is however that playing a game 6 years after it's release is that you will have played other games that saw these things and improved on them.

I found Gordon hard to relate to. I'd play for hours and get no further insight into the plot and then suddenly I'd be swamped in new information. The pacing just killed it for me.

The game was revolutionary, it did great things for the genre. It is a decent game but it is not this amazing experience that I had been told it was and therefore I was disappointed when I finally got around to playing it.

IMO the gameplay hasn't aged well and that is what I look for in a game.

I'd also have to cast a vote for the new SSX. Waited years for another game in the franchise and got this on release day. Put it on for a few hours and found no Super Pipe, or half the other event types. Liked the addition of the Deadly Peaks but didn't come remotely close to making up for everything they'd removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Street Fighter 2 on the Commodore 64. The C64 was never going to pull off SF2 but deep down inside I really wanted the game that all my SNES and Megadrive owning mates were bragging about. It broke my little heart when I ended up with this:

My older brother often talks of the original Street Fighter being a extreme disappointment when it came home to the C64, I daren't imagine the misery that followed with a game that was actually good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I totally forgot about first AC. Thx for reminding me. What a pile of **** after so much hype. I haven't even finished damn thing.

It really was disappointingly repetitive. Saying that, have you had a chance to play AC2? It's a triumph in gaming sequels, the best of the series so far.

For all it's perfection, Portal 2 was let down a bit by it's running sections.. Started playing co-op again with my gf so I'm well happy. Ive even got her doing the easy missions in skyrim now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pdfile wrote: »
    take what back ?? the whole game is rubbish ( actually iz serious ) :confused:

How can you say that whole game was rubbish as you haven't even finished it. Trust me, I know 100% now you did not finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Big Knox wrote: »
    Genuine question, is this sarcasm? If it's not I'd love to hear why. I can understand people not liking certain types of games and even the most critically acclaimed titles like Mass Effect, Skyrim, hell even HL2 but Portal 2 is just.... perfect!

How can you say Portal 2 is perfect? Yeah, the levels were so much bigger and it looked clearer but there was no cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

N64 for me. Perfect Dark and Turok 2. 2 classic examples of pushing the hardware too much. Reasonable games ruined by dire framerate.

Any Total War game. I keep buying them like an idiot but they're just the same thing over and over again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

How can you say that whole game was rubbish as you haven't even finished it. Trust me, I know 100% now you did not finish it.
    I totally forgot about first AC. Thx for reminding me. What a pile of **** after so much hype. I haven't even finished damn thing.

Busted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

FanadMan wrote: »
    How can you say Portal 2 is perfect? Yeah, the levels were so much bigger and it looked clearer but there was no cake!

There is a
    fake door leading to the Emergency GlaDos Shutdown and Cake Dispensary though :D

I wouldn't say it was a letdown because I'm not a big FPS fan but I'm another who didn't like HL2 and only played it because I kept being told it was the best game ever. This was only a couple of years ago as well. I prefer Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2 and Bioshock 1&2

Metroid: Other M was a big letdown for me. After the excellent Metroid Prime Trilogy the gameplay was a huge step backwards with loads of annoying sections and the excrutiatingly bad story ruined Samus for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,846 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

elekid wrote: »
    I prefer Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2

Not sure how you can say those 3 games are better than HL2. Have you played them recently because they have aged terribly with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark being nigh on unplayable due to the poor framerates. That's not to mention the poor level design in places and laughable AI. Not sure how anyone can say those 2 games are better than most modern FPS games including HL2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm not saying they're better, I'm saying I preferred them. It's all down to personal taste.

Well there's no accounting for taste but I can't see how anyone can prefer those games to HL2. I suppose there's people out there that think Legend of Dragoon is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Without a doubt Mass Effect 3's ending.
    I had bought and replayed ME1/2 and all their DLC's several times in order for the so-called multiple endings (16 I think they promised).
    Never touched the games after ME3 and have ignored all the DLCs as I quite simply lost all interest in it...
    Bioware really really screwed up on ME3..I reckon they lost a shedload of cash on people giving up on it and not buying the DLCs etc....pity as up to the last 5 minutes it was a fantastic game and I was really looking forward to the replayability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Has to be in Spyro 2. After you get all the orbs and beat the whole game basically 100% as a result, all you get is a permanent super-fireball power.

For those who don't know, near the end, there is a massive door with an orb total on it equal to 100% of the orbs in the game. To get 100% it takes flipping ages. When you do, however, the door slides open and...imagine my disappointment when you basically get a power to help you complete the game....when you have completed the game.

Childhood was ruined on that day.

LA Noire was great in general but, for me anyway, it had zero replay value. I completed it and didn't play it again. Also, why make a huge and historical LA if theres nothing to see or do in it? All people ended up doing was letting their partner drive and then skipping the journey.

I played with Black and White on too- looked great.

Advertisement