Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest let down in a game?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's a pretty unusual opinion. HL2 is considered by many to be an excellent game. It's influence on gaming is undeniable.

Out of interest, what would those who dislike HL2 consider to be a better game in the same genre?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dont dislike Hl2 at all but I think it benefits from a lot of positive vibes towards the half life series in general. it's good, very good.. but I dunno if it's amazing or genre defining or whatever its uber fans call it.

as for a better game... honestly I'd rate Prey above Hl2. I got far more involved in the characters and story of the game, it had portal mechanics before portal was a thing and the protagonist actually had a personality which isn't neccesarily ...neccesary..... but when you're trying to make a "cinematic" or story based fps it's kinda useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Aye, I can understand how someone might think its over-rated if they hadn't played it until maybe 4+ years after release or something.. otherwise, any FPS fan must be quite strange if they think its a "Pile of cack" or "The most overrated game of all time". I too would like to know what ya's are comparing it too, personally very few games come close to HL2, especially those in the FPS genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The end of red dead redemption was a huge let down
    A great game throughout and then ending just sucked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

5uspect wrote: »
    It's a pretty unusual opinion. HL2 is considered by many to be an excellent game. It's influence on gaming is undeniable.

Out of interest, what would those who dislike HL2 consider to be a better game in the same genre?
    There's no denying HL2 is an excellent game, I love it and still play it. If ep 3 or even HL3 come out I'll buy them.

But it is over-hyped (if not over-rated) and truth be told there was nothing really brand new or defining about it.

OT: Far Cry, there I am trundling along killing mercs, suddenly mutants!
    Crysis, there I am trundling along killing N. Koreans, suddenly aliens!

Both games instantly ruined. Speaking of which, the Body of the Many level in SS2 came very close to ruining that game too. Not quite though, still one of my favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well, i loved HL1, because i played when it was "hot" and "new". so i really loved it. i played HL2 only years after, because i had a huge gap in gaming thx to some issues in personal life. so i did not played it on release. It was already bit dated at that stage. It was an all right game, but i did not found it " OMFG JIZZ IN MY PANTS".

i would not blame people not liking HL2. Its a matter of taste and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, I agree with SH. HL1 seemed incredible to me when I saw it first. Didn't play HL2 for a while - didn't really have a system capable of it and when I did I wasn't bothered going through their steam crap. I found it a little annoying when they forced you to use the gravity gun and decreased ammo around - the low ammo maxes annoyed me too. It was actually kind of boring for me all the way up to the last chapter when you get the souped up gravity gun - that was what I was hoping to see earlier in the game! :D
    Oh yeah, the boat sequence was enjoyable enough. Mainly just wasn't impressed by the gravity gun or the over reliance on it. Missed snarks too. :(
    A lot of it had to do with the timing of playing it, I'd say. Maybe not an awful lot of long lasting charm - more showing off the impressive tech at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Really? I'd loved the end of Red Dead. Fantastic ending which tied up the whole game.

I haven't seen any mention Assasin's Creed. From the build up to the original I was expecting a cross between Thief and Hitman with free running. What I got was not that. I've enjoyed the series but it's still a massive let down.

And that's not thinking about Ubisoft's insistance to stay with the italian tosser for so many games.

Orim wrote: »

Really? I'd loved the end of Red Dead. Fantastic ending which tied up the whole game.

I haven't seen any mention Assasin's Creed. From the build up to the original I was expecting a cross between Thief and Hitman with free running. What I got was not that. I've enjoyed the series but it's still a massive let down.

And that's not thinking about Ubisoft's insistance to stay with the italian tosser for so many games.
    I just thought it was a hole let down
    The whole game in my opinion was excellent but I just didn like the ending at all
    Even tho I completed it I still played it for months after
    Might put it in again tonight and start all over
    But I just didn't like the ending
    I'd love if they braught out a second one ( not the undead one) but another one that goes to different parts of America
    Atb

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2 on the Wii. I played the first one on the Wii and really enjoyed swinging the Wiimote to swing the lightsaber, but then TFU2 decided to change it to "Press 'A' to swing lightsaber". I mean why? It goes against instinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Oddly I thought that AC Revelations had the most memorable ending of any game I've played recently.

Skyrim,ME3 (and E2), LA Noire and Fallout3 were all great games which possibly could not but have a disappointing ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I felt very let down by the menu in UT3. So slow to get through to actually play a game. Huge departure from the clean and quick UT99. That was the main reason for me stopping that game - and I liked the game itself well enough.

I agree with others that Fallout New Vegas was a step back from FO3. FO3 just seemed way more fun in general and the weapons were really cool. Mind you, despite the initial fun of the original game, it started to get pretty tired in the expansions, so FNV just wasn't fresh anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Half life 2 is a decent game not great, it's tough to get over excited about the single player bit in fps shooters.

And I'd say the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series is better than hl2. I think fps/ third person shooters combine really well with the rpg genre. Stalker games, fallout 3 and dayz being some examples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

The most recent one for me has to be ME3 and yes I do mean the ending. I actually didn't mind the game itself too much, was fun to blast through and the story was moving along OK but then London came and my opinion of this game plummeted. Not sure what I expecting but it wasn't that.

I was actually looking forward to completing it and starting the trilogy again but I couldn't play through them again knowing whats ahead!

I also remember MGS2 being a big let down. Loved the opening part on the ship then came fecking Raiden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Burnout Paradise

after having had Takedown & Revenge, playing this I was like WTF!!!!!

I totally forgot about first AC. Thx for reminding me. What a pile of **** after so much hype. I haven't even finished damn thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I found Doom 3 quite enjoyable for all it's flaws. FEAR blew me away at the time and I quite enjoyed Far Cry.
    MGS2 and 4 were quite disappointing. MGS2 for obvious reasons and MGS4 because it felt like Kojima was recycling the original PSOne classic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

To those that are bashing HL2, did you play it when it was released 8 years ago ? or in recent years, where you would be comparing its gameplay/graphics/story to modern day games ?

Though it still holds up to most of them, it influenced most too

It was mindblowing when it was first released. The physics !!!
    People take them for granted these days, but I think it was the first time I had ever used an oject as a weight, to make the other end of the platform rise ...using physics, not automated

SeantheMan wrote: »
    To those that are bashing HL2, did you play it when it was released 8 years ago ? or in recent years, where you would be comparing its gameplay/graphics/story to modern day games ?

Though it still holds up to most of them, it influenced most too

It was mindblowing when it was first released. The physics !!!

Well that was the point I made. Just because it was awesome back then, does not mean it is awesome now who plays it for the first time after 8 years.
    I love fallout 2 and I think it is the best game ever created, but I would not expect someone from this generation to play it and say that it is coolest game ever. Back then it was new, shiny,amazing. Now it is an old game, which I love, but it does not have appeal to current gamer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Bioshock.....ya I went there

• Advertisement

PerrinV2 wrote: »

Is FUS-RO-DAH still relevant ?

If not, "Would ye kindly GTFO !!" ....:P

Troll surely ? :rolleyes:

PerrinV2 wrote: »

Would you kindly take that back?

I'd agree with him. I'd forgotten Bioshock.

First got it and I was blown away. The whole game was amazing and I put a ton of hours in the first night. Every subsquent time I played the sheen wore off quite quickly and eventually I was dragging myself through just to finish it because I wanted to trade it in.

I don't think any game has given me such a high on the first go and then brought down my opinion so much.

Orim wrote: »
    I'd agree with him. I'd forgotten Bioshock.

First got it and I was blown away. The whole game was amazing and I put a ton of hours in the first night. Every subsquent time I played the sheen wore off quite quickly and eventually I was dragging myself through just to finish it because I wanted to trade it in.

I don't think any game has given me such a high on the first go and then brought down my opinion so much.

?
    So you played it - and were blown away ?
    The game was amazing you said .

How is that a let down ?....because you played it 50 times to the point of boredom ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

ah come on
    the ending didnt suck
    if anything it was a great ending
    a character who you ended up loving through out the story, dies at the end,
    thats what rockstar wanted , suppose to show emotion ;) haha if anything i think it had the one of the greatest storys to a game in the past few years
    everything nowadays is online mp , gets boring hearing kids scream ha

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I really wanted to like BioShock. Loved the setting, the silly Ayn Rand story but the gameplay wasn't great.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    ?
    So you played it - and were blown away ?
    The game was amazing you said .

How is that a let down ?....because you played it 50 times to the point of boredom ?

No I played it for a couple of hours and then it lost me.

As I say it was only that first session that I enjoyed. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I only picked up the orange box little over a year ago and it's without doubt the greatest gaming investment I made.
    I can only imagine what it must have been like to play it on release but it made no odds to me how old it was.

Mentioning Half Life,Portal and Bioshock in this thread should result in the immediate removal of your trigger finger :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Street Fighter 2 on the Commodore 64. The C64 was never going to pull off SF2 but deep down inside I really wanted the game that all my SNES and Megadrive owning mates were bragging about. It broke my little heart when I ended up with this:

• Advertisement

That's the part I hated and yeah I showed emotion aswell (gay I know)
    But that's the part I hated I wanted another red dead and not for it to end like that
    And the zombie one I didn't think much of it
    The stories in it weren't that great compared to the first and the characters in the first were deadly
    Even had an Irish fella :D bogey accent tho

Advertisement